Critical Miss: #22

Nimzar

Nov 30, 2009
Hubilub said:
Nimzar said:
I've seen it the movie once. I enjoyed it. But I don't remember everything about the thing. Forgive me, that my memory isn't infinite.
"Tears in rain" is one of the greatest moments in cinema history.

Forgetting that scene is like forgetting "I am your father" from an Empire Strikes Back.
Here is the thing... if I had only seen Empire Strikes Back once, and if "I am your father" hadn't been meme'd to death, I'm not sure I'd remember that scene perfectly either. Or be able to place it as the referent to a web comic.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
I am sorely disappointed in the number of people who've not seen Blade Runner. Sorely. Disappointed.
So am I. Jesus, what are they teaching kids in schools these days? Math?

BLASPHEMY!

snowman6251

Nov 9, 2009
Nimzar said:
I've seen it the movie once. I enjoyed it. But I don't remember everything about the thing. Forgive me, my memory isn't infinite.
Same here. Seen the movie, enjoyed it while I watched it, then forgot most of the little details. The reference completely eluded me.

Tomtitan

Jun 7, 2010
Ok... I got every single reference made in the comic... yet I still don't get the punchline. (Although putting StarCraft into the Blade Runner quote was quite funny) Duck Hunt? Why? Ok yeah the duck is like the dove from the original scene, but just referencing a video game doesn't make it funny...

Again though, StarCraft + Blade Runner... nice.

Zombie_Fish

Opiner of Mottos
Mar 20, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
I am sorely disappointed in the number of people who've not seen Blade Runner. Sorely. Disappointed.
To be fair, it's not as if it's the most well known of cult classic films. I only heard about it myself earlier this year when me and my dad were talking about Philip K. Dick's work and he mentioned this film being an adaptation of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and watched it a short while afterwards. Chances are people would have as much chance understanding this quote out of the blue as they would if I just decided to say "Malcovich. Malcovich Malcovich Malcovich." all of a sudden without any hints towards where it came from.

Anyway, great comic. Loved the Pulp lyrics right at the end as well as the Duckhunt joke.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Im confused, heh, but loved the Starcraft reference none the less.

Plus, the end comment at the bottom really made me chuckle.

...We will sleep with you too ^.~

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Zombie_Fish said:
Susan Arendt said:
To be fair, it's not as if it's the most well known of cult classic films. I only heard about it myself earlier this year when me and my dad were talking about Philip K. Dick's work and he mentioned this film being an adaptation of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and watched it a short while afterwards. Chances are people would have as much chance understanding this quote out of the blue as they would if I just decided to say "Malcovich. Malcovich Malcovich Malcovich." all of a sudden without any hints towards where it came from.

Anyway, great comic. Loved the Pulp lyrics right at the end as well as the Duckhunt joke.
Um....yeah, it's pretty well known and one of the most influential sci fi movies ever made (visually speaking). And Being John Malkovitch.

Lake Deuteronomy

Jun 6, 2010
Hubilub said:
Now I'm sad. I'll probably cuddle up in the sofa with my Blade Runner Final Cut Edition on Blu-Ray later to forget about the sacrilege that has transpired here today.
Yeah, I think I'll do exactly the same. Seeing the aforementioned scene in crisp crisp HD might make this comments thread somehow more bearable.

Good comic though ;)

paketep

Jul 14, 2008
OMG, this is full of kids!. And to think that I saw Blade Runner when it actually opened and played Duck Hunt when it was released.. I'd better not count how many years is that :p

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
paketep said:
OMG, this is full of kids!. And to think that I saw Blade Runner when it actually opened and played Duck Hunt when it was released.. I'd better not count how many years is that :p
Judging from the comments, you might be a grandpa.

Apr 29, 2010
Demented Teddy said:
Nimzar said:
Umm... I'm not sure I get it.

Could someone explain this comic to me (beyond explaining what games are being referenced).
Teddy is confuzled. =/
You're not alone. I could tell they were referencing Blade Runner and Duck Hunt, but I'm still scratching my head.

MisterMojo

Aug 28, 2009
I'm old enough to have watched Blade Runner, and my fiancee has it, I've just never bothered to watch it. Even with everyone I know saying how fantastic it is, it still hasn't really interested me. But it is nice to know where the reference in the strip comes from.

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
Hubilub said:
I am confused.

Not at the comic. I'm confused that so many people missed the Blade Runner reference.

Blade Runner isn't that old, is it?

EDIT: I count 8 comments so far that didn't get the reference.

Now I'm sad. I'll probably cuddle up in the sofa with my Blade Runner Final Cut Edition on Blu-Ray later to forget about the sacrilege that has transpired here today.
And I'll join you!

*cuddles up to Hubilub*

TheBlackKnight

ESEY on the Kross
Nov 3, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Never seen the film in English, sorry from being a country that shares its language with Germany. Also it's been YEARS since I saw it.

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
Zombie_Fish said:
Susan Arendt said:

You know what I love about that scene? It's John Malcovich acting his backside off. He fully conveys multiple conversations with only one word AND offeres a great joke about Hollywood ego at the same time.

The only thing better, him and Jeremy Irons in a bad fantasy movie acting against each other. Even Brian Blessed would tell them they're playing it too big.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
You know most of the time I have some tolerance, you know? Different tastes and all that.

But you either get this, or you are a terrible person.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
TheBlackKnight said:
Susan Arendt said:
Never seen the film in English, sorry from being a country that shares its language with Germany. Also it's been YEARS since I saw it.
Well, if you have to deal with a translation, obviously it's going to be a different experience.