Critical Miss: #28

Evil the White

Apr 16, 2009
Danzaivar said:
Brnin8 said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
But if you judge Lethal Weapon by Danny Glover...that's a good thing. Danny Glover was funny. And he's getting too old for this shit.

That said, so the lore of 40K really does have no females in the marines? I don't follow the series, so...
Technically there are the Sisters of Battle, but they root out heretics, rogue psykers and the like. You know, those who oppose the EMPRAH!
You know, I think just having Sisters of Battle and classing them as female space marines might actually cause more problems (I.e. Beserk fanboyism) than just allowing female space marines.
Well, they are about as close to female space marines as you can get, because of the power armour and religious training. The different being that they can't get the implants, as they only work on male subjects, so they still have regular human squshiness, abliet with power armour.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
Danzaivar said:
Eclectic Dreck said:
Danzaivar said:
Brnin8 said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
But if you judge Lethal Weapon by Danny Glover...that's a good thing. Danny Glover was funny. And he's getting too old for this shit.

That said, so the lore of 40K really does have no females in the marines? I don't follow the series, so...
Technically there are the Sisters of Battle, but they root out heretics, rogue psykers and the like. You know, those who oppose the EMPRAH!
You know, I think just having Sisters of Battle and classing them as female space marines might actually cause more problems (I.e. Beserk fanboyism) than just allowing female space marines.
I'm not well versed in the Lore, but I had thought that while the Sisters of Battle wore the same armor and carried the same weapons, they were not given extensive gene treatments and augmentation such as the Black Carapace and if I'm not mistaken can actually be broken by casualties. Basically, they are space marines in appearance but they have significantly reduced stats in key areas such as their wound threshold and all that garbage.

Of course, I have never actually played the tabletop game and have only occasionally be drawn into the Wiki after someone links something awesome from it.
Exactly. So saying that the Sisters are on par with actual Space Marines would just cause a shit-storm among fans.

Then again, saying the girls are weaker than the boys would cause a shitstorm among non-fans.

...It's a delicate situation.
To be frank, the perception that women are weaker than men extends quite far. Look at the US military for example where the physicial requirements for women are significantly lower than those for men. An 18 year old female can pass the push-up portion of the Army Physical Fitness Test with a mere 19 repititions in 2 minutes where an 18 year old male needs 42. In fact, if a female meets the minimum standard for a male she will have achieved the maximum possible score for a female. The same is true of the run with a female being given an additional 3 minutes to run the same two mile route a male runs.

Of course, there are some women who can readily meet and even exceed the male standards but they proved the exception rather than the rule in my time with the military. As far as science can tell, there is no real difference in muscle tissue in males and females and most of the differences that do exist only express themselves significantly in certain situations. Women are significantly more likely to suffer from stress fractures to the hip during long road marches under heavy loads for example.

What the possibility of a shit storm implies is that these difference need not be true of the gender as a whole. It is entirely possible that something as simple as social pressure enforces the very real difference you see in the athletic capabilities of men and women on average. To be honest, based on what I have seen, it seems that social pressures provide as good an explanation as any for the trend as it was often the women who cared little for femenine sterotypes in general that excelled in athletic endeavors in the military.

And besides, the differences between the boys and the girls in this case is due in large part to the simple fact that they are not nearly so well equipped. The girls are not given the benefits of extensive genetic modification or augmentation. I'd wager that their performance would be quite similar if the Sisters of Battle were compared to unaugmented unmodified males rather than the super-humans that are the Space Marines. Because, let's be fair: no unmodified human stacks up well when compared to a Space Marine.

Jenx

Dec 5, 2007
J03bot said:
The emperor is just boring. And induced a new dark age, causing technophobia to sweep the imperium to the point that all machinery is venerated as a holy artifact.
Except for the fact that he didn't? ALL of things you describe happened AFTER the Emperor got mortally wounded and had to be confined to the golden throne.

ALSO, you really have no idea what "phobia" means, do you?

p3t3r

Apr 16, 2009
i don't get it aren't space marines all covered in armor and stuff it could be a girl no one would ever know

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
Jenx said:
J03bot said:
The emperor is just boring. And induced a new dark age, causing technophobia to sweep the imperium to the point that all machinery is venerated as a holy artifact.
Except for the fact that he didn't? ALL of things you describe happened AFTER the Emperor got mortally wounded and had to be confined to the golden throne.

But they happened on the Emperor's behalf, so it can be argued that the Emperor brought in said dark age. He did, just not by his design. Hell, he's dead, just strapped up to a machine so his body won't stop functioning.

And yes, I do. In this case, everyone is so scared of machinery and how it works that everything to do with it's continued functioning is left to tech-priests.
Think of modern day technophobia - a fear (or at least deep mistrust) of the functioning of computers, such that any problem, no matter how slight, is dealt with by dedicated tech people, or younger members of the family.
I just phrased it badly in my last post...

V'icternus

Apr 15, 2009
J03bot said:
Jenx said:
J03bot said:

But they happened on the Emperor's behalf, so it can be argued that the Emperor brought in said dark age. He did, just not by his design. Hell, he's dead, just strapped up to a machine so his body won't stop functioning.

And yes, I do. In this case, everyone is so scared of machinery and how it works that everything to do with it's continued functioning is left to tech-priests.
Think of modern day technophobia - a fear (or at least deep mistrust) of the functioning of computers, such that any problem, no matter how slight, is dealt with by dedicated tech people, or younger members of the family.
I just phrased it badly in my last post...
That's not Technophobia. That's just a lack of knowledge. A phobia would mean a genuine fear.

...Also, in regards to the original topic, I'm afraid any females that want to play a Space Marine will have to roll up a male.
I'm... so sorry. But otherwise, there will be chaos, and as everyone knows, chaos is bad. And must be purged. And nobody wants more purging, do they?
...Well, alright, they do, but still.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
crotalidian said:
Well the sisters of battle are around and I'm sure they can shoehorn some all female orders into the Marines this is the 40 thousandth century surely equal rights have permitted the induction of females
Umm no. Not a chance in hell. Equal rights? The only people who have equal rights are the Imperial Guard, and that is because they are all equally required to die by the thousands hoping to clog enemy tank tracks with their corpses.
Do you really think they're that useless... you poor, poor soul.

I've had imperial guard do some SERIOUS damage to my orcs. I still won in the end but still.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
dogstile said:
Soviet Heavy said:
crotalidian said:
Well the sisters of battle are around and I'm sure they can shoehorn some all female orders into the Marines this is the 40 thousandth century surely equal rights have permitted the induction of females
Umm no. Not a chance in hell. Equal rights? The only people who have equal rights are the Imperial Guard, and that is because they are all equally required to die by the thousands hoping to clog enemy tank tracks with their corpses.

I've had imperial guard do some SERIOUS damage to my orcs. I still won in the end but still.
Never said they were useless. I was referring to Fluff, which is what people are arguing about right now. I myself play Imperial Guard, and their Kasrkin with Hotshot Lasguns tear heavy troops apart. They are a force to be reckoned with.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
dogstile said:
Soviet Heavy said:
crotalidian said:

Never said they were useless. I was referring to Fluff, which is what people are arguing about right now. I myself play Imperial Guard, and their Kasrkin with Hotshot Lasguns tear heavy troops apart. They are a force to be reckoned with.
In which case, fair enough :p

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
p3t3r said:
i don't get it aren't space marines all covered in armor and stuff it could be a girl no one would ever know
Clearly you neglected to read even one page of the comments. It's been explained about five times over by this point.

fundude365

Dec 12, 2007
THQ have remained loyal to the W40K canon so far as gameplay is not compromised, for instance the first four Dawn of War games allowed you access to the majority of units from the majority of races whilst adding on the traditional RTS mechanic for getting a hold of your units (base building) Dawn of War II had you customise your squads and loadout before the game began, much like tabletop 40k, so I can't really see them letting an additional X chromosome getting anywhere near the Human-race characters... If, however, they allow players to play as the Sisters of Battle that is the perfect opportunity to prove that there is little disparity between the sexes in the potential for awesomeness.

P.S. for the benefit of those who don't know this; there are no female Space Marines because in the 40K universe the correct hormonal cocktail for supporting the horrific biological modifications that turn an exceptional human being into a 7'6" acid-spitting killing-machine only exists in the human male. That's why there are never any female space marines, there are however Sisters of Battle who kick ass and take names.

Okysho

Sep 12, 2010
Witchhumters/sisters of battle

FEMALE SPACE MARINES!!!

Also custom chapters you can totally do that...

UnpleasantJono

Nov 20, 2009
Adepta Sororitas. 'Nuff said. Also, there can be female Inquisitors and Psychers. However, I'm unsure about Tech Priests and the like. :/

crazypsyko666

I AM A GOD
Apr 8, 2010
I don't think you really have much to worry about. The gameplay videos look pretty shitty. I mean, the sky is BLUE. How can it be GRIMDARK if the sky is blue? Fuck, Sam and Max is a more GRIMDARK game than Dark Millenium right now.

Setch Dreskar

Mar 28, 2011
crazypsyko666 said:
I don't think you really have much to worry about. The gameplay videos look pretty shitty. I mean, the sky is BLUE. How can it be GRIMDARK if the sky is blue? Fuck, Sam and Max is a more GRIMDARK game than Dark Millenium right now.
It takes a more realistic yet decaying view of the universe where humanity is in slow decline and being destroed on all sides (or eaten in the case of the Tyranids) and has its back in a corner. Just because its a grim universe doesn't mean there aren't beautiful worlds, and clear sky, in fact I prefer it to every 'grim' setting where all the worlds look the exact same and have no other distinguishing features from one another. It also makes more sense why the Imperium as a whole would fight to protect the few planets that have not been turned into smog covered Hive worlds. Besides most Aggri worlds also have clear skys and blue oceans, they are the worlds who's sole responsibility is making enough crop to feed the hive worlds.