Critical Miss: #28

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
Longshot said:
SoB are not equals of marines. Oh, they may be TT, but that's because it has to be balanced. TT does not reflect the actual "truth" of the universe. Marines are a lot more powerful in the fluff than they are in the actual game. In that respect, it wouldn't work.
I've got some bad news: MMOs have to be balanced as well. Expect to see plenty of things that make absolutely no sense lorewise (Like how the random wildlife in Northrend is high level than Illidan).

Karlaxx

Oct 26, 2009
You know, I never considered that. Now I'm afraid.

Or I would be, if we knew fear, FOR WE ARE THE EMPEROR'S CHOSEN- *bricked*

Ahem. Apologies. I get carried away.

Doesn't really matter to me, as long as I get my blood angels.

sosolidshoe

May 17, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
But if you judge Lethal Weapon by Danny Glover...that's a good thing. Danny Glover was funny. And he's getting too old for this shit.

That said, so the lore of 40K really does have no females in the marines? I don't follow the series, so...
The implanted bio-engineered organs and chemical therapies which make a space marine are dependent on you being a pubescent male, or else you just get a torso full of useless lumps of meat and lots of cancer.

Yep, that's right, Space Marines are child soldiers, at least in the beginning. Mind you, so are the Imperial Guard(Cadian Whiteshield battalions take kids off their families at twelve to start their training, and in desperate situations they're given a commissar and a dropship and sent off to fight).

Azhrarn-101

Jul 15, 2008
Brnin8 said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
But if you judge Lethal Weapon by Danny Glover...that's a good thing. Danny Glover was funny. And he's getting too old for this shit.

That said, so the lore of 40K really does have no females in the marines? I don't follow the series, so...
Technically there are the Sisters of Battle, but they root out heretics, rogue psykers and the like. You know, those who oppose the EMPRAH!
Unlike the Space Marines the sisters aren't genetically engineered super humans just really well equipped normal humans, and can't interface with their armour nearly as well as a Space Marine could because they lack a Black Carapace for the armour implants to socket into.

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
I'd be surprised if the female models weren't simply space marines that were reskinned to look like Sisters of Battle, the crazy pyros that they are.

I am excited about this, however, I've been dying for a good sci-fi MMO that wasn't EVE Online. In the Emperor's name, let none survive!

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Jandau said:
Gildan Bladeborn said:
Of course, if you let players actually play as inquisitors, you're going to get complaints when they don't have the power to consign entire worlds to death. You can't really win!
From what I've read of the Dark Heresy materials, lower ranks of the Inquisition (Acolytes) don't get to burn worlds. They function as field agents and generally are closer to the standard RPG adventurers, getting sent on a variety of assignments by the Inquisition. They come from any number of backgrounds, from Psykers, Rogues to Imperial Guardsmen. It's basically a perfect RPG setup (hence why it was made into a TT RPG :p )...
<- Owns all the Dark Heresy books, even though he does not actually play the RPG (total fluff junkie, and hot damn is the Calixis sector fluff ever interesting!).

Indeed, acolytes don't have that kind of personal power, but once you reach the end of your career path as an acolyte you actually can become a bearer of the seal in Dark Heresy, via the Ascension rulebook, which has rules for Inquisitors and other Throne Agents of import (my favorite is the Vindicare Temple Assassin ascended path). Which would be problematic in an MMO, so they'd probably want to avoid that; wouldn't stop players from complaining about how they can't be inquisitors, but at least they won't be consigning planets to the flame.

GiantRedButton

Mar 30, 2009
crotalidian said:
Well the sisters of battle are around and I'm sure they can shoehorn some all female orders into the Marines this is the 40 thousandth century surely equal rights have permitted the induction of females

Also aren't the Eldar a matriarchal society? plenty of ladeez for the game
The thing is that space marines are meant to be genetic perfection in strength stamina etc. So everyone kinda has to be male.
Just like every space marine is about the same hight, its the optimal combination.
Though they are in full plate so its not like you see the difference :D
There are other factions that are female only though so whatever i wanna play nids anyway...and can't^^

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Gildan Bladeborn said:
Jandau said:
Gildan Bladeborn said:
Of course, if you let players actually play as inquisitors, you're going to get complaints when they don't have the power to consign entire worlds to death. You can't really win!
From what I've read of the Dark Heresy materials, lower ranks of the Inquisition (Acolytes) don't get to burn worlds. They function as field agents and generally are closer to the standard RPG adventurers, getting sent on a variety of assignments by the Inquisition. They come from any number of backgrounds, from Psykers, Rogues to Imperial Guardsmen. It's basically a perfect RPG setup (hence why it was made into a TT RPG :p )...
<- Owns all the Dark Heresy books, even though he does not actually play the RPG (total fluff junkie, and hot damn is the Calixis sector fluff ever interesting!).

Indeed, acolytes don't have that kind of personal power, but once you reach the end of your career path as an acolyte you actually can become a bearer of the seal in Dark Heresy, via the Ascension rulebook, which has rules for Inquisitors and other Throne Agents of import (my favorite is the Vindicare Temple Assassin ascended path). Which would be problematic in an MMO, so they'd probably want to avoid that; wouldn't stop players from complaining about how they can't be inquisitors, but at least they won't be consigning planets to the flame.
Just to point out, there's no reason there couldn't be a high level quest or maybe an end-game raid that culminates in some good old fashioned Exterminatus... ;)

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Jandau said:
Just to point out, there's no reason there couldn't be a high level quest or maybe an end-game raid that culminates in some good old fashioned Exterminatus... ;)
I'd considered that actually - depending on how the game world is actually broken up you could easily have apocalyptic scenarios take place where entire worlds come to a violent end. I was thinking more along the lines of what happens when you cross meta-gaming with a faction that can literally end worlds accountable only to itself - somebody is going to reason that Exterminatus could be used to solve all their problems, heh.

oktalist

Feb 16, 2009
There is a small rodent living in Erin's hair. Just thought I would point that out.

Wedlock49

May 5, 2010
A female... that understands Warhammer past Dawn of War? I think I just fell in love... hot, nerdy, glue-covered love!

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
...Why does she have a rodent on her head? I haven't noticed it in any other of the comics...

Hazardlife

Jul 14, 2009
Space Marines aren't the only problem for gender equality.

As previously mentioned, Orks only have one (very masculine) gender since they happen to be plants, and the Gods only know what female Chaos units will look like. Leather BDSM gear is probably inevitable.

Prophetic Heresy

Dec 26, 2009
It's a funny stip but, to be honest, I don't think that anyone will react this way. If there are female, though for this argument gender doesn't really matter, gamers who are already interested in this game they probably know why there aren't female space marines. Besides, does it really matter what gender your in-game character is?

I did like the warp translation reference in the last panel, they were a really nice touch. It made me feel like Erin really was a fan of 40K and you weren't just telling me she is.

wildcard9

Aug 31, 2008
Since canonically the Space Marines have always been male, there shouldn't be any problem in the first place. They're also mostly white: again, it's a canonical thing, not a supremacy thing.

Besides, the ladies do have the Sisters of Battle or some of the Eldar.