Critical Miss: #5

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Hilarious! I am sure a few people would enjoy see him eat his own words...I know im one of them!

Mr. Grey

I changed my face, ya like it?
Aug 31, 2009
Hehe... I love the irony in this strip. Well done.

Also, the Ultrajoe cameo has me still laughing. Great job.

Blind0bserver

Blatant Narcissist
Mar 31, 2008
I love all the little details in the newspaper, especially the part describing Erin as "being crazier than a box of ferrets on meth". The wit put into even minor little things like that is just priceless.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Haha.
That was clever.

But i honestly laughed at Ultrajoe more.

Still a good comic, keep it up.

DN83

Jun 17, 2009
Since Ebert hated Kick Ass anyway, he probably wouldn't change his mind.

Gaderael

Apr 14, 2009
Man, a lot of party poopers in the comments. I loved the comic. It was quite entertaining.

Tirnor

Sep 3, 2009
Yeah, the hamster saves the comic again. Still waiting for the pretense of the "main story" to be dropped.

Focus on the hamster and the side jokes.. it'll be golden.

- Tir

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
Ebert, I am going to give you an offer you can't refuse. Either the words "games are art" or your brains on the computer screen...

You know, I wonder....are we going to be getting any badges for reading Critical Miss? I mean, I don't care about badges, but it seems like almost every other show/weekly column (ironically, except for ZP) has them.

V Gray

Feb 13, 2010
oh ya that would help, gamers are already seen in a negative view. all we need is some one to attack a man with no bottom jaw, to kill the industry.

can we please drop the Ebert thing, the man probably hasn't played a game past mario, or tetras.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Undead Dragon King said:
I would have probably used the svaerdstave the Hitgirl had in her first encounter with Kick Ass. But that's just me.
I think Erin's motif is a little too "junkyard chic" for a proper has-a-name weapon (never heard of that particular one you mentioned). Weapons fall into two classes:
1) Weapons identifiable as weapons. A sword on the ground is still a weapon.
2) Weapons that are weapons because the crazy person keeps hitting people with them. A rock on the ground isn't a weapon.

Here, Erin's quite safely in the #2 category.

reg42 said:
I feel this was a bit... It could be quite offensive to Ebert. It's a bit in bad taste.
It's not that bad, really. Critics have been threatened in various ways since the beginning of time. I'm sure the first caveman told the second caveman he was using too much ochre and not enough charcoal in his depiction of the large meat-beast, and probably got a club upside the head in response.

There's a lot of ways this could've been far worse. If Ebert were a 20 year old in perfect health (though an incredibly curmudgeonly 20 year old) the strip would play out the same way. Which given Ebert's history, is remarkable restraint. I can think of at least three ways Erin's intro lines could've been really uncomfortable, and I'm not even trying hard.

Edit: Is it wrong that I want to draw Plank's face on the bucket?