GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
Spark Ignition said:
zHellas said:
HankMan said:
That's a new one:
It's so good, it's bad
Or it's that you got used to the shit, that when it's gone, you miss it.

Like you don't know how much you like/love/appreciate something until it's gone.

rip infinity engine....
Being thinking about that myself lately.

This:

Versus this:

The former is from Neverwinter Nights 2 Mask of the Betrayer, and is one of it's better looking areas, the latter from Planescape Torment using the Infinity Engine.

As much as the Aurora Engine (with NWN etc.) improved on overall graphics, effects, models and the like, where it failed utterly when compared to the older Infinity Engine games was crafting well thought out and interesting environments. To put it another way, NWN/NWN2 is -filled- with identikit buildings, trees, scenery of the kind that anyone can hop into the toolset and plop down without any thought going into the procedure at all.

However, this is not completely a failure of the Aurora Engine itself, but of BioWare and Obsidian in how they used it. If you want an example of it being used well, go look at The Witcher and compare it to Neverwinter Nights 2. But even then, the older Infinity Engine games still look like works of art in comparison in my opinion, with the attention to detail fairly obvious in every loving crafted area.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Grouchy Imp said:
Celtic_Kerr said:
I think it's more of a play on the fact that is has zombie and yet is not a shooter...
Ah.

Err, yeah. I should've really picked up on that one.
Yeah, we gotta be really careful with "Zombies" in the Call of Duty games. Otherwise we're gonna end up with Turkey and shit sammiches with a side of 2 girls 1 cup

Jan 23, 2009
QuadFish said:
Anyway, since I'm never early enough in these comments, I'd like to take the opportunity to say that this is actually my favourite webcomic ever. Of all time. In the universe.
It beats penny arcade anyday.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
poor Steve

why doesn't he just make some rice at his place?

would save him having to go 2girls1cup

CitySquirrel

Jun 1, 2010
I have to say, it was painfully hard to read today's comic. Least favorite out of all all of them, even if I understand the point.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Interesting, and a disturbing graphic representation of the parable.

Truthfully though I'm one of those people who will say that objectively "Resident Evil 4" and "Resident Evil 5" were good games (excepting Sheva's AI in 5). The problem is that they were bad Survival Horror games. The "shit" in this case bing most of what defined the Survival Horror genere, which appealed to a very specific group of people, by removing it you wound up with a campy horror third person shooter game, which admittedly appeals to more people than "Survival Horror" ever did.

One of the problems I have with franchises today is that the reluctance to launch new franchises has lead to the mutilation of long-standing series. People slapping the name of, and a sequel number to, games that have absolutly nothing to do with a series except perhaps using some of the same characters and referances to the setting. Resident Evil 4 was an example of this, sure it involved Leon, but at the same time it didn't use "real" Zombies as per the previous games, there was little need for ammo conservation, and rather than puzzles and trying to work out ways to avoid monsters the entire game was largely based around shooting your way through everything (for which there is plenty of ammo, in previous games there simply wasn't enough bang-bang at various points in the game to make this a viable solution). They literally put you into closed arenas like villages and such and won't let
you progress until you kill every bloody thing there.

None of that makes it a bad game, but it does mean it's not a "Resident Evil" game. It also means that fans of the series do have a right to complain about it. I don't think in cases like this it's general internet "moan about everything".

See, in my mind it's one of those cases where the game should have been launched as an entirely new IP, rather than being made as a "sequel"/Chapter to the Resident Evil franchise.

Incidently my logic also means that I think keeping franchises alive indefinatly is a bad idea, even if they are making money. There is a point at which you've really done everything that can be done well with a given property, at which point it's time to put the property to rest. Even if the property is successful and massive bank can be made by literally pooping out a sequel, in the long term even more money could be made by taking a "keep them wanting more" attitude and bringing the franchise back at a later date when more GOOD ideas for the same material might transpire, or a reboot/new version might be possible.

The gameplay might be good, but really why did say "Resident Evil 4" need the Resident Evil label? I mean the game is set in europe, doesn't involve zombies, and has little or no relevence to "Racoon City" or much of the lore in the universe except what was tacked on sloppily to justify it's sequelhood. Why not make the game a new title other than marketing?

Such are my thoughts.

BTW> For the guy who said he would get probation for making a similar analogy, my experience has shown that it probably wouldn't happen, providing there was some point to what you were saying rather than just trying to be disgusting for the sake of being disgusting. A lot of similar things have been said, and since it's not deliberatly insulting towards anyone in paticular I doubt it would be an issue.

Content wise there was probably worse said in a recent thread about making "unfounded assumptions about popular video game characters" some of which were... interesting, and painful as a lot of them seem like they would probably be true which is what made most of it funny. I think that's the thread where we saw the posting of a picture of a guy farting a stream of fire as well... :)

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
RE1-3 cheesy survival horror, RE4-5 cheesy over the shoulder shooter.

They just arent the same types of games. its like saying Mario galaxy is a terrible game because its not the same as Super Mario Brothers.

KEM10

Oct 22, 2008
XT inc said:
I would have agreed more, but I didn't miss the shit at all in the 4th re game. I've played their entire spectrum,2,3,2 on 64/headdesk, survivor, dead aim, cvx, and outbreak.

The problem with 4 and 5 is that the shit isn't gone it's still there in spades, but they reformulated the shit into some kind of new shit, that in the context of a re shitsandwich, tastes yummy and new. In other towns where they don't make you eat said sandwiches you would bite into a say a re control setup shitsandwich and go, this tastes crappy, but as someone who has had to eat a diet of even shittier control S sandwiches we can say yummy.
The shit I missed was the puzzles. I remember staying up all night at a fried's place and we tried to one shot RE a few times and I was always looking for the next puzzle. I could put together the Tower of Hanoi before I knew what it was, however I couldn't walk down a straight hallway in that game.

The Real Sandman

Oct 12, 2009
This. This visual metaphor of a person ingesting human fecal matter via a sandwich sums it up.

It really shocked me at first how much hate RE4 got from fans. "Oh never mind the the ridiculously improved controls, interface, puzzles, and pacing, THEY RUINED TEH STORY AND MAED IT IN2 A SHOOTER!"

"Ruined the story"? Yeah, the story was already ruined the by the time RE3 was released and before that it was cheesier than a Voltron episode draped in fondue. While not great or original, RE4's story was very enjoyable to me. On accounts that it had practically nothing to do with the original (bat shit insane) cannon and it went about things deliberately self aware. With the added bonuses of likable protagonists, some funny lines of dialog, and a coherent and easy to follow plot and you got yourself a very well executed story.

However, one thing I'll disagree with is the huge praise RE4 gets for its horror. Its pretty scary around the beginning, but once you find the shotgun and some grenades, then it becomes an extremely weird shooter. That didn't bother me (were still some parts that creeped the shit outa me), it was still fun as hell at least! But when people say "past RE game were scarier and more atmospheric", that's just not true. Yeah you can say how RE pioneered the horror genre, but all the games pretty much relied on jump out scares and surprise attacks as opposed to true psychological endurance as practiced by Silent Hill 2 and Condemned: Criminal Origins. Besides, a game/movie/book/whatever can be as atmospheric as possible, but if it has a completely retarded and convoluted story and characters you want to flog every time they open their mouths, then everything just falls apart because we can't connect with situation due to it's inconsistencies and lack of any logic.

Boneasse

Jul 16, 2008
It's funny because it's true.

Honestly I laughed so hard my neighbours must have jumped out of the couch.

Spark Ignition

Sep 29, 2010
GothmogII said:
Spark Ignition said:
zHellas said:
HankMan said:
That's a new one:
It's so good, it's bad
Or it's that you got used to the shit, that when it's gone, you miss it.

Like you don't know how much you like/love/appreciate something until it's gone.

rip infinity engine....
Being thinking about that myself lately.

This:

Versus this:

The former is from Neverwinter Nights 2 Mask of the Betrayer, and is one of it's better looking areas, the latter from Planescape Torment using the Infinity Engine.

As much as the Aurora Engine (with NWN etc.) improved on overall graphics, effects, models and the like, where it failed utterly when compared to the older Infinity Engine games was crafting well thought out and interesting environments. To put it another way, NWN/NWN2 is -filled- with identikit buildings, trees, scenery of the kind that anyone can hop into the toolset and plop down without any thought going into the procedure at all.

However, this is not completely a failure of the Aurora Engine itself, but of BioWare and Obsidian in how they used it. If you want an example of it being used well, go look at The Witcher and compare it to Neverwinter Nights 2. But even then, the older Infinity Engine games still look like works of art in comparison in my opinion, with the attention to detail fairly obvious in every loving crafted area.
Yeah I love the Infinity engine, and I definitely agree that the lack of true 3d meant any developers who used it had to put extra attention into the design to make it look good. BG2 and TOB look absolutely stunning in HD because of that. Actually now I think about the Infinity engine was a bad comparison to this parable because there was nothing shit about it in the first place! Just mild awkwardnesses that are totally made up for by the adaptability and overall great design of the engine. Now please excuse me while I search for an infinity SDK hehe

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
RE4 was the best overall game but it wasn't nearly as survival horrorific as the older games. The ammo was basically unlimited and other than the stupid first town and maybe the locked in the house fight there was very little desperation.

And the ending went all metal gear.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
QuadFish said:
I can't say I've played enough RE to really know what you're getting at. Isn't RE4 meant to be like that sandwich that has some extra mayonnaise on it because the chef loves you?

On another note, seems it pays to be up at 2:00 some days :)

EDIT: That soda can seems VERY familiar...
Well, not really. Merely adding extra mayo would imply that the sandwich was sound to begin with. That's where the "shit" part of the "turkey and shit sandwich" comes into play. They took out what was considered to be fundamentally flawed, again the "shit" part, and it became a fundamentally sound sandwich, the "turkey sandwich."

RE fans got used to the flavour and complained that it was missing.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
Great! now I NEVER wanna have a turkey sandwich ever again! Thanks Guys!

OT: That shit is very realistically drawn....TOO realistic.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
GrizzlerBorno said:
Great! now I NEVER wanna have a turkey sandwich ever again! Thanks Guys!

OT: That shit is very realistically drawn....TOO realistic.
I didn't think it was realistic enough. It kind of just looks like a bavarian sausage.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Spark Ignition said:
QuadFish said:
I can't say I've played enough RE to really know what you're getting at. Isn't RE4 meant to be like that sandwich that has some extra mayonnaise on it because the chef loves you?

On another note, seems it pays to be up at 2:00 some days :)
Thats the point, most people see it as RE without everything people hated about RE, and yet the fans still hated it for changing it up.

I like RE4 but it was too.... James-Bondy.
I preferred the older games like RE2 or Code V that actually had atmosphere as opposed to non-stop action.

Surely we're past arguing about RE4/vs RE original though? I mean come on, we've got good ole racist RE5 to bicker about now!
I honestly saw no problem with RE4, it was a great change that Capcom made....aside from the Dante one (Suppressing rage for the release date to actually judge)

For me the game offered up a great experience and still had my adrenaline flowing at times due to certain enemies.

By far my personal favorite of the series to display the fact that, No matter how badass Leon Kennedy is he can still get his silly ass murdered.

ESPECIALLY LOVED THE DEATH SEQUENCES AT TIMES

Ashcrexl

May 27, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Never did beat RE4.

Stupid scratched disc!

I was so close to the end on the Wii version, too!
that's no excuse! i've beaten the game 3 times now!

as for the comic, i am fortunate that Resi4 was my first. though i still managed to enjoy the others, especially Resi2, though obviously it's nowhere near the level of awesome that was Resi4.