Critical Miss: A Parable

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Grey Carter said:
GrizzlerBorno said:
Great! now I NEVER wanna have a turkey sandwich ever again! Thanks Guys!

OT: That shit is very realistically drawn....TOO realistic.
I didn't think it was realistic enough. It kind of just looks like a bavarian sausage.
Thanks now you've ruined sausage for me forever.... *Cries in the corner*

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
Grey Carter said:
GrizzlerBorno said:
Great! now I NEVER wanna have a turkey sandwich ever again! Thanks Guys!

OT: That shit is very realistically drawn....TOO realistic.
I didn't think it was realistic enough. It kind of just looks like a bavarian sausage.
Aaaaand now i never wanna have a Bavarian Sausage......WHATEVER that is. It might just be the best sausage in the whole world! but I'll Never Know, cause you had to ruin it for me.
Seriously Carter. Cut that out.
And keep up the outstanding work. That too.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Ashcrexl said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Never did beat RE4.

Stupid scratched disc!

I was so close to the end on the Wii version, too!
that's no excuse! i've beaten the game 3 times now!

as for the comic, i am fortunate that Resi4 was my first. though i still managed to enjoy the others, especially Resi2, though obviously it's nowhere near the level of awesome that was Resi4.
I dunno. I consider a broken game disc, without any copies in any nearby stores to be a pretty good excuse.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Alternate explanation:
"He's playing it on PC."

Good grief, the PC controls for RE4 are sucky...

WolfmanNougat

May 14, 2009
First off; ew!

Second; Really? That's the explaination you're going for? Was saying "he has poor taste" just too simple and clean? ...Actually, saying that makes me understand the choice now.

Well, I guess you can walk away now, and you won't hear me say "please oh baby, don't go" ... damn it!

Popido

Oct 21, 2010
What can I say? I just love pre-rendered backgrounds and fix'd camera angles.

The jump to 3D just made me more aware of how fabricated the game's world was.

Major_Tom

Anticitizen
Jun 29, 2008
They didn't reduce the amount of shit, they just changed the type of shit. If older ones were horseshit sandwiches, 4 was a bullshit sandwich and people just didn't like the new shit. On the other hand, 5 wasn't a sandwich anymore - it was pure bullshit.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Well, I can only say that RE4 was a delicious sandwich with little shit on it, but RE5 was a turd without the sandwich.

In fact... it was a Jill Sandwich.

Misho-

May 20, 2010
I know this sounds like I'm being disgusting just because, but I'm curious... on how to actually make a shit and turkey sandwich. I mean do you prepare the sandwich and then squat over it and lay on the extra ingredient? Or do you drop the bomb previously and let it dry to become more crispy? And what if the chef is sick? It wouldn't have the same consistency. (or whatever) Still I liked the daily specials joke :)

Blue Hedgehog: Daily shit.
Code V: Little Shit.
Dead Aim: Lots of shit.
:)

Also I don't think I've ever typed the other word for feces so much and so close together :p

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
RE4 and RE5 are completely different gameplay-wise(and also story-wise, when it coms to RE4) from the "classic" RE games, so I don't see how they could really be compared, since it's more of a matter of taste than anything.

I like RE4, and I like the classic RE-games (some more than others), but I like them for completely different reasons.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
The Real Sandman said:
However, one thing I'll disagree with is the huge praise RE4 gets for its horror. Its pretty scary around the beginning, but once you find the shotgun and some grenades, then it becomes an extremely weird shooter. That didn't bother me (were still some parts that creeped the shit outa me), it was still fun as hell at least! But when people say "past RE game were scarier and more atmospheric", that's just not true. Yeah you can say how RE pioneered the horror genre, but all the games pretty much relied on jump out scares and surprise attacks as opposed to true psychological endurance as practiced by Silent Hill 2 and Condemned: Criminal Origins. Besides, a game/movie/book/whatever can be as atmospheric as possible, but if it has a completely retarded and convoluted story and characters you want to flog every time they open their mouths, then everything just falls apart because we can't connect with situation due to it's inconsistencies and lack of any logic.
I think you got it a little wrong on the last bit. The 'horror' may be more or less the same between the old and new Resident Evil games, both rely more on the 'surprise' jump out of the closet scares. What differentiates the two however is the suspense, not the movie or book type created by atsmosphere or mood, again the two sides are more or less the same here, but in an area unique to video games: the survival game. In the old, ammo was scarce and the ability to save games was not only limited but few and far between. Death was heavily punished and conservation a must, this creates a sort of suspense through the game not because that next zombie might scare you but rather it could screw you over and set you back. In Resident Evil 4, ammo was plentiful and you could easily restart any room without punishment. If you screw up you get unlimited quick do overs, and personally there were parts of the game where I needed at least a dozen of them... that really kills any possibility for suspense.

For a better example of this, see Demon's Soul. There's been a real hole on the market for this sort of suspensfull gameplay as all the big titles are being made more streamlined and forgiving, and that's probably why Demon's Soul sold so well.

Negatempest

May 10, 2008
Can't agree more with the metaphor. The **** is still there but nowhere near as bad in pre RE4.