Critical Miss: Battlefield 3

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
Wait, you fight a rat in Battlefield 3? That is the stupidest damn thing I've ever heard of. Now I'm definitely not getting it. Escapist, this is my first post in more than 24 hours, STOP GIVING ME CAPTCHA!

thisbymaster

Sep 10, 2008
I started playing the first level and kept trying to play normally. I kept running out of bounds, all the time. The system to tell the player where the game wants you to go is bad, like waking up next to a transvestite with your crotch burning bad. I have always hated this idea of going from place to place without any choice are chance to control anything. Even back in battlefield 1942 you could go anywhere on the map and use any weapon/vehicle you see. I was stuck behind the AI players most of the time waiting for them to OPEN A DOOR. I don't have the door opening skill of turning my wrist. After playing for about 20 mins I asked myself, did I have fun? No I didn't have any fun.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
ReiverCorrupter said:
The entire single player campaign came off as a poor CoD ripoff. The multiplayer is already fantastic, if you're going to add a single player campaign then you could at least put some freaking effort into it.
But then they couldn't charge used buyers $15 to play the multiplayer....

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
The Rogue Wolf said:
Not even trying anymore, are they? They should just release the next game with an interactive firing range to train you for multiplayer, since MP is all they care about these days.

Or, alternatively, as today's comic has so brilliantly suggested, "Press LMB To Not Wet Yourself (And Then Die)".
But...Single player is important. They said so.
Everything is fine. There is no Occupy Wall Street Movement. There is no income disparity. Look at the pretty new game.

Savrill

Jun 5, 2009
the bossfight is a QTE? (havent finsihed campaign yet) Like is Space Marine? Aw, crap....

I know QTEs are cinematic, and the bossfight in SM was realy cool...but I just like the normal stuff better...

The rat was awesome though

haruvister

Jun 4, 2008
I think that rat fight footage might have put me off games for life.

Well, until 11 November, anyway.

Klagermeister

Jun 13, 2008
haruvister said:
I think that rat fight footage might have put me off games for life.

Well, until 11 November, anyway.
That's the spirit! No QTE bullshit in Skyrim; just you and your dragon powers vs. a god that can control time... and destroy the world...
Well, we're boned.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Okay, i watched the vid that showed the rat scene, and that's just hilarious. And of course, the comic itself is also pretty damn funny, and makes more sense after watching the vid.

XDravond

Something something....
Mar 30, 2011
Well the really bad thing about these QTE is they are unavoidable

-minor spoiler alert-

later when chasing a guy theres a QTE fight but I thought (after second death (yes I suck at QTE's...))"hmm.. lets take it easy and shoot him" walk carefully the last bit and see him full figure dump 2 mags and.. nothing QTE only way of killing him.. realistic? Oh yes !

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
Tbh the only levels i enjoyed on battlefield 3 were the missions in the pool house and the...

Just the pool house, at least is was a bit differnt being day and everything.

Its a bad sign when you can remember all the multiplayer levels but nothing of the single player..

Oh the Stock Market level, i liked that too.

Anyone else get reminded of the PS2 game BLACK when playing BF3? The story is kind of similiar.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
I was more annoyed about the way it kept killing me with RPGs without warning at random points while playing.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
... I think I just heard someone in Australia died.

Yahtzee must have tried to play Battlefield 3's single player with other people in the room.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
lol singleplayer was as generic as it gets o wells Battlefield wasn't a franchise built on compelling singleplayer story telling 9_9

that rat fight did catch me off guard. Though not as badly as the first time they told me to RIGHT CLICK INSTEAD OF LEFT CLICK! RAGE!

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Beryl77 said:
It because of sp campaigns like the one from battlefield, that many think good fps sp games are dead.
Have you ever even heard of battlefield beforehand? Jesus christ, this is the first one to even have a campaign, for fucks sake. Quit declaring things to be dead, it's an insult to the many quality FPS's out there and it makes you look narrow-minded.
The Rogue Wolf said:
Not even trying anymore, are they? They should just release the next game with an interactive firing range to train you for multiplayer, since MP is all they care about these days.

Or, alternatively, as today's comic has so brilliantly suggested, "Press LMB To Not Wet Yourself (And Then Die)".
Fucking hell. Battlefield has been multiplayer focused from the very first game, this is the first one to even have a single player. Melodramatic blanket statements are annoying enough without being horribly, horribly wrong.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
Ironic Pirate said:
Beryl77 said:
It because of sp campaigns like the one from battlefield, that many think good fps sp games are dead.
Have you ever even heard of battlefield beforehand? Jesus christ, this is the first one to even have a campaign, for fucks sake. Quit declaring things to be dead, it's an insult to the many quality FPS's out there and it makes you look narrow-minded.
Yes, I've heard of the franchise before because I've played nearly all previous Battlefield games, especially bf2. I know that the focus is mainly the mp but this isn't the first try DICE had with the sp campaigns. I know that bfbc 1 had a campaign but I've never played that so I don't know about it but I can tell you that I didn't like bc2's sp. So it's not their first try.
I didn't declare that fps sp campaigns are, just that many people think they're dead because of games like this one (not the multiplayer, just the single player).

They just ripped off the story from Black Ops and that one wasn't good either. There are too many similarities, it can't just be a coincidence. The game itself is more an interactive movie than a game. It's very limiting, you've got barely any freedom while playing, always having to go to stand to one exact location and shoot the people from there.
The sp is just a tech demo to show off the pretty graphics and hype the game in trailers to get new fans to the franchise.
EA even admitted that themselves [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-10-27-ea-justifies-battlefield-3-single-player].

Before you now think I just don't like fps games, let me tell you that an fps is actually my most favorite game of all time and there are many others which I like. My point is, that they make it look like that's all a sp campaign in an fps can do, being mostly a marketing ploy. And that makes me sad because it was an fps sp game that even really got me into gaming, it has pretty much changed my life a bit.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
So people are playing the Campaign then? Weird, because that is time you aren't playing the multi-player.