Critical Miss: Conan the Barbarian

Fursnake

Jun 18, 2009
The Arnie Conan movies (at least the first one) may have been ok back in the 80's, but they are both weak films and Arnie sucked ass trying to portray Conan. Actually looking forward to the new movie even though I think they could have found a better actor to play Conan, the actor playing him lacks charisma and presence...still he makes a better Conan then Arnie.

Conan really needed a remake/reboot, unlike other films like Fright Night, the Karate Kid, Dirty Dancing and so forth which did not need to be remade/rebooted.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
RhombusHatesYou said:
Susan Arendt said:
When Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is one of the leads in the film, you know it's not going to be good.
So the fact that it was Wilt Chamberlain and not Kareem makes it better or worse?
Dang, I mixed up my basketball players! But no...he's still terrible. :)

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
The Schwarzenegger/Jones piece was about as good a Conan film as the 80s could give us. All that remains to be seen is whether the new one is as good a Conan film as the current decade can give us. All signs point to yes.

Besides, Ron Perlman.

Operations

Mar 11, 2009
albino boo said:
I always thought Star Wars would have been a better movie with body of James Earl Jones and voice of Dave Prowse. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSm9DDxQv8E
Its funny that the American guy thought his west country accent was scottish.
I could just imagine Vader destroying Alderaan and then going "Proper Job"
Also there was a reason they didnt go for JEJ as the body http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_H6YB4Yhks

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I dunno, I want to see the new movie. Though I never saw the Arnold one, but after watching the 90's Conan the Adventurer cartoon (its like watching a DnD game) I really want to see it too.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
Well considering the Arnold Conan movie was complete shite I'm not surprised it's going in a different direction, but damn was it entertaining shite.

GrandmaFunk

Oct 19, 2009
trailer looked more interesting than i expected, and it's the closest thing i'll get to more Drogo...so i'm gonna go see it.

Ensiferum

Apr 24, 2010
Yes, I saw the author's disclaimer, but I'm sick of people calling the new Conan movie a remake. It's a different story with the same character from the stories created by Robert E. Howard. You know, like Marvel and Dark Horse have been doing for years? Think James Bond but uh, musclely. And a barbarian.

uzo

Jul 5, 2011
The original Conan movie is one of the most underrated films in history. People generally go 'herp derp Arnie sucks lol'; but the film was like a latter-day opera.

I for one will be seeing this movie, without a doubt. I'm too much of a RE Howard fan not to. I'm not expecting much, sadly, but Ron Pearlman I hope will lift Momoa above the level of shaved wookie.

And please, just please, don't have every old bad guy dazzling everyone with goddamn magic. That was the glory of Thulsa Doom in the old Conan movie - he was just a damned charismatic dude - a Jim Jones, essentially. A cult leader. And throughout the Hyborian stories (of course Thulsa Doom from the film deviates significantly from the source material; but then again so does Conan's backstory), magic is a decidedly rare thing. Conan himself generally regards 'magic' with a shrewd, analytical approach; openly expecting sorcery to be naught but smoke and mirrors whenever he encounters it.

Oh .. and something else that would ruin it : 2 HD human infantry leading around 20 HD Beholders.

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
I actually didn't like the original Conan. A seriously overrated film in my opinion but whatever floats your boat.