Critical Miss: Conan the Barbarian

Mike Fang

Mar 20, 2008
Maybe it's just me, but Erin's expression seems less like disgust and more like "I've got something up my nose and it itches."

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
I'm sure no fan of the eighties movies will love it, but I am and I'm keeping an open mind. I'm not expecting the same thing here. People are allowed a certain amount of creative license. I'm looking for something more akin to the books not the movies.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Red Sonja > Conan

But there may be two big reasons for that...
I see what you did there... you're talking about boobs.

I reserve judgement until I actually see the movie but undoubtedly nothing is going to replace the gloriously cheesy old Conan movie. That movie has a legend all its own.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Grey Carter said:
What is best in life?
Hot water, good dentishtry, and shoft lavatory paper.

To be fair, though, what's a hollywood studio director to do? How's he going to stay above minimum wage? Heaven knows they don't have the creativity over there to do something fresh and new! Oh, no... Remakes are almost the only recourse they have. /sarcasm

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
omicron1 said:
Grey Carter said:
What is best in life?
Hot water, good dentishtry, and shoft lavatory paper.

To be fair, though, what's a hollywood studio director to do? How's he going to stay above minimum wage? Heaven knows they don't have the creativity over there to do something fresh and new! Oh, no... Remakes are almost the only recourse they have. /sarcasm
Is that an old school Cohen quote? Nice.

Faux Furry

Apr 19, 2011
I'm shocked that the answer wasn't "Musclebound men in loincloths as the main characters in fantasy action movies making a comeback."(not that they ever really went out of style)! That and Butt Popcorn.

Cain_Zeros

Nov 13, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Anyway, Ronon Dex as Conan?

Weeeeeeeeeird.
And yet it might work. Certainly not if the character's written the same way as Arnie's, but other than that...

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Cain_Zeros said:
]And yet it might work. Certainly not if the character's written the same way as Arnie's, but other than that...
I'm inclined to agree. I like the guy and hope he does a good job in the role. It's just that, like so many others, I'm used to the Terminator as Conan.

Nobby

Nov 13, 2009
Personally I'm looking forward to a good dose of pulp watching Khal Drogo/Ronon Dex fighting, stealing and loving his way across Hyboria.

After all the books are about Conan killing/stealing/getting jiggy with, anything opposed/valuable/female.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
The Human Torch said:
Grouchy Imp said:
Why is Erin eating butt popcorn?

dragongit said:
mmmmmmmmmmm... butt popcorn...
I'm glad someone else spotted that too, otherwise I'd just feel immature...
It's buttered popcorn, you muppet. :p
To be fair, he/she isn't the only one making that mistake.
I think the artist did it on purpose.

Imp_Emissary

Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Susan Arendt said:
Sovvolf said:
Susan Arendt said:
Sovvolf said:
Susan Arendt said:
Isn't that the one where Conan fights the mirror monster? if so DO,... NOT,... SEE!

It does, at least, have some decent eye candy. It's pretty to look at in places.

Are we talking about the set design or that fact that Arnie was still in his physical prime at this point and the flab hadn't started to creep in just yet :D.

Set design and scenery. The effects are definitely weak, but there's some pretty decent glitz in there. I never thought Arnold was even slightly attractive.

I think I know why!

Either,

1. You have had a sixth sense that tells you if a guy will become a cheating idiot who won't use protection.

or

2. A leading man in a movie shouldn't have larger breasts than the women in the film.
:) Thank you for your time.

Taranaich

Jul 30, 2008
dimensional said:
I would also like to see a decent offline (or online but free) Conan game because that universe has a such a rich scope for history and while not quite in the same league as Tolkien it would make a nice change.
Howard created the Hyborian Age over the span of some 4 years: Tolkien was working on Middle-earth for more or less his entire adult life. Of course there's going to be a difference in degree, but I think if Howard lived beyond 1936 and decided to dedicate the rest of his life to Conan (unlikely given how he wrote, but let's go with it) I'm sure he would've created something comparable to Tolkien's creation.

w00tage said:
Regarding the "more-or-less faithful adaptation of the books" - why the heck is there still a "my village was slaughtered and I must avenge my father" plot? That's as far from the books as you can get fgodssakes.
It does look more faithful in that Conan is not enslaved, put to work on a wheel for 20 years, forced into pit-fighting, trained by samurais and freed by his owner in this version. Plus Jason looks more like Conan than Arnold did. It's like saying a rock 99 miles away is closer to you than a rock 100 miles away.

Falseprophet said:
He's not supposed to be. The original Robert E. Howard stories are pulp yarns. It's just the Arnie/Milnius/Ollie North movie that had this Nietzchean meta-commentary on hippies and shell-shock, complete with Wagnerian soundtrack (RIP, Basil Poledouris).
You still seem to have missed the cynical commentary on civilized arrogance and entitlement, the hollowness of the "noble savage" myth and the reality of barbarism, the degenerative effect of stagnating cultures, the futility of man's works in the vastness of existence, and countless other meta-commentaries that are just as present as the film's ideas about hippies, military discipline, eastern mysticism, bushido, man being built by being destroyed and so forth.

Somehow I think we've had this conversation before, though.

But the typical Howard story had Conan the barbarian/thief/pirate/mercenary/bandit/soldier pick a couple fights with guardsmen or blowhards, then stumbling across some monster/lost civilization/god/Lovecraftian horror, somehow managing to kill or escape it, then celebrating with alcohol and buxom lasses.
The thing is, that alleged formula (which only describes a fraction of the Conan stories) could easily apply to every other Sword-and-Sorcery hero in existence. Evidently there's something in Howard's stories beyond the simplistic formula you put forward here, otherwise the tales of Ator, Elak, Brak, Jongor and Thongor would be just as popular as Conan.

Razhem

Sep 9, 2008
Well, I saw the trailer and it looks a hell of a lot better than Conan the Barbarian could ever hope to be. As for those that doubt Drogo being able to do a good Conan, rewatch the series, specially the scene where he shows who the fuck is the boss and then come back to me.

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
That face she's making at the end. That was my face to some of the new movies coming out when I was last at the theater.

The Human Torch

Sep 12, 2010
Imp Emissary said:
The Human Torch said:
Grouchy Imp said:

dragongit said:
She ran out of space on the bucket to draw it on. Although I think she probably chuckled when she realised what she had done, but I doubt that it was done purposely. :D

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
Conan has always been about Darth Vader as Thulsa Doom and the Terminator as Conan
been meaning to actually watch the original for a while now...and for that reason exactly :p

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
rossatdi said:
thaluikhain said:
I think a Conan movie could work, just not an Arnie type one...the original stories were very different, like a watered down Lovecraft with more muscles and less clothes.
Not remarkable the similarities since Lovecraft and Robert E Howard were friends who undoubtedly had a major influence on each other.
They referenced each others work in their own stories, like easter eggs.

If the movie is indeed closer to the books, then by that alone it will be a better movie than the 80s ones.

Imp_Emissary

Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
The Human Torch said:
Imp Emissary said:
The Human Torch said:
Grouchy Imp said:

dragongit said:
She ran out of space on the bucket to draw it on. Although I think she probably chuckled when she realised what she had done, but I doubt that it was done purposely. :D
Hmmmm....Maybe, but its not like this is the artist's first comic. I find it hard to believe that anyone would have made a mistake that simple.

Maybe it was a mistake at first, but I think it was planed. It fits with the rest of the comic saying you're not going to have a good time watching this movie.

Like when all the people in that last one said that the strawberry smoothies were bullshit, and the smothies were all drawn brown.

I mean, what could be worse than Butt Popcorn at a bad movie?