Critical Miss: Erin Hawke: Explorer

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
It did get kind of boring but it kind of made sense really, I mean the landscape wouldn't change irl just becuase you were going there to do somthing different. Perhaps they could have made it more overgrown? That said they should have made the area bigger that 'Kirkwall and surrounds' anyway

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
jp201 said:
It's funny because its true.
True yes. Funny...well, I didn't laugh. I used to really like these comics e.e

Ciler said:
Reminds me of Mass Effect 1 where 95% of the interior locations were the same 2-3 maps.
Everyone had the SAME EXACT research lab xD (except for Peak 15 but the interior designer was the same)

The Diabolical Biz

Jun 25, 2009
icyneesan said:
Saw this one coming a mile away. Also I just noticed that Erin's name is dangerously close to a certain Nurse/Archer :p

Erin! Erin! Help me Erin!
Erin! Erin! Erin! Erin! Erin! Doo, doo, doo, doo-doo, doo doo doo doo doo doo doo...

Damn you. That's gonna be stuck in my head for weeks.

OT: Haha so true. Ah well, hopefully the fanbase's reaction to this can send Bioware a message, eh?

CoL0sS

Nov 2, 2010
Sad, but true. First they were lazy with weapon and armor models, now they have expanded to maps. Can't find any excuses for that.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
As much as I like DA2, it reeks of laziness. They didn't even try to make the maps look at least a little varied.

At least the dialogue is varied enough. It's like they spent all the dev time on the character scripts and about 10 minutes on the maps.
I have to agree here. I loved the game, but seeing the same place over and over was annoying. At least with DA:O you had more new areas to explore.

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
Yeah... it's unfortunate the maps are recycled so much... is the rumour about EA being the cause by forcing Bioware to cut corners in the development period true?

Mangue Surfer

May 29, 2010
Ciler said:
Reminds me of Mass Effect 1 where 95% of the interior locations were the same 2-3 maps.
The exteriors are worse.
There's a planet with blue mountains and blue sky, a planet with green montains and blue sky, other with blue montains and green sky...

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
I love DA2, but this is my only real complaint. But hey, silver lining: making this strip must have been exceedingly easy, right? Now you know how the level designers felt when they didn't have to work overtime every night, leaving their families at home, wondering if they'll ever feel happiness again.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Selvec said:
I know they said streamlined, but this was utterly ridiculous. It might make sense if after some years the places where re-occupied, but bloody hell, there was only 4 damned maps for interior encounters.
Nah, there were at least five or six. :p

But, seriously, it is hilarious because it's true. I still love the game's writing, which is weird, since I've hated their writing pretty much universally these last few years.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
As much as I like DA2, it reeks of laziness. They didn't even try to make the maps look at least a little varied.

At least the dialogue is varied enough. It's like they spent all the dev time on the character scripts and about 10 minutes on the maps.
I do get that feeling too re: the maps - though I do love the game so far for its dialog and story, its maps make me sigh.

Canadish

Jul 15, 2010
SpiderJerusalem said:
Selvec said:
I know they said streamlined, but this was utterly ridiculous. It might make sense if after some years the places where re-occupied, but bloody hell, there was only 4 damned maps for interior encounters.
Which sounds about the same for Dragon Age: Origins, to be honest. It's not like that was a feast of variety, either.
I've just played both back to back in the last month. Origins really was pretty good for using fresh locations. There were only a couple of copy pasted locations, out of a selection of hundreds. In DA2, there are about 5-6 in total. And just filled with either Spiders/Thugs/Mages/Templars. And then you have to go do them about 7 times each for some pointless side quests which rarely add up to anything.
It was Lazy. It was rushed. It was Dragon Age 2.

Colonel Alzheimer's

Jan 3, 2010
To be fair, it looks like they moved the staircase a bit for the abandoned mine.
EDIT: Wait a minute, it's just a flipped image. In other news, this series is brilliant.

Tiewing

Nov 21, 2010
I kind of enjoyed my first play through and was excited to start another class on a harder difficulty, but only about an hour into it I can't seem to continue. These cookie cutter environments and NPC spawns puts a truly literal feeling of been there done that.

Revenge Revisited

The Doctor Called Me Special! :D
Dec 2, 2009
Heh, this was one of my biggest complaints about this game. It's just lazy. I mean, they really couldn't have made a few more maps? The worst was the one that just went backwards.

P.S. 100th post!

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
Irridium said:
TheEvilCheese said:
Reminds me of the oblivion caves/dungeons/forts etc.

All of them made by one guy.
At least they had different layouts...
Somewhat, but there were a fair few areas copied from cave to cave. And you get really confused when rooms are almost impossible to distinguish from the eighteen almost identical ones you've been through in the last hour.

Don't get me wrong, I liked oblivion but the fact that there are more people doing the dungeon layouts in skyrim is great news.