Critical Miss: God Emperor of Steam: Epilogue

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
KILGAZOR said:
I feel really left out now, since I haven't read the Dune series. Next time, could you not make a whole miniseries based on the assumption that just because you're a gamer you'll get every nerd reference ever?
You'd totally have a point if there were any actual Dune references in there outside of the title.

Also, is expecting people to have read Dune such a huge stretch? It's the best selling Science Fiction novel in the world. And, believe it or not, there does tend to be some overlap between game fans and Science Fiction fans, funny old world.

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
Well, when you put it that way, I guess Steam is a little evil.

A little bit.

...but I don't WANT to go shopping at Best Buy! I prefer to sit around in limbo for two hours while the game is brought to me, like the world's worst pizza delivery company!

Still, loved the series.

Genixma

Sep 22, 2009
Croaker42 said:
Dumbfish1 said:
Nathan rubs the lotion on his skin, or else he gets the hose again
Really too bad he aims to misbehave.

OT; Great commic guys.
I don't buy the point at the end. But still an excellent story.

daemon37

Oct 14, 2009
Grey Carter said:
KILGAZOR said:
I feel really left out now, since I haven't read the Dune series. Next time, could you not make a whole miniseries based on the assumption that just because you're a gamer you'll get every nerd reference ever?
You'd totally have a point if there were any actual Dune references in there outside of the title.

Also, is expecting people to have read Dune such a huge stretch? It's the best selling Science Fiction novel in the world. And, believe it or not, there does tend to be some overlap between game fans and Science Fiction fans, funny old world.
I never read Dune, but I found this arc quite enjoyable. I think it IS a huge stretch to expect people (especially kids) to have read the novel. It came out quite a while ago, and there has been so many great books and games since then. I did see the movie, and honestly I don't understand why people think Dune is such a great story.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
daemon37 said:
Grey Carter said:
KILGAZOR said:

I never read Dune, but I found this arc quite enjoyable. I think it IS a huge stretch to expect people (especially kids) to have read the novel. It came out quite a while ago, and there has been so many great books and games since then. I did see the movie, and honestly I don't understand why people think Dune is such a great story.
Ruh Roh. I can see this turning into the whole Blade Runner debacle all over again.

But in order.

1: Thank you for the complement.

2: Infantile as our humour is, kids should really not be reading this strip.

3: Just because something is old, doesn't mean it's not important. See, Star Wars, The Iliad, 1984, The bible, LOTR etc.

4: The Dune movie, as much as I love it, is a joke. A giant, ludicriously expensive joke with Sting in a pair of golden winged Y-fronts as the punchline. Basing your opinion on the series on that movie would be like basing your opinion on Atlas Shrugged on Bioshock.

Mezzo.

Nov 19, 2009
Special props to you for remembering Poliwag, I.E.: THE CUTEST ONE OF THEM ALL.

Shade184

Nov 11, 2009
Great ending, guys! I hope to see more story arcs like this from you, you've handled this one well.

Feb 13, 2008
Just for those missing references, that I can spot:

Panel 3:

Panel 5:

Final Panel: Watchmen:
Once Ozymandias is killed (The "God Emperor": It's not a Dune reference) Nite Owl says something along the lines of "Have we won?" and Dr Manhattan says "Won? No. Something always comes around." - then we cut to the flunky finding Rorschach's Diary (Episode 3)

There's probably a Pokemon reference in there as well, but I can't deal with them. :)

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
Dumbfish1 said:
Nathan rubs the lotion on his skin, or else he gets the hose again
That was a nice, terrifying and disturbing little touch. Surprised she's not making him f*** inanimate objects and video taping it.

Nice arc, lads!

Loved the pisstake of IGN.

PrototypeC

Apr 19, 2009
OK, this is done now. Right?! Not that I didn't kind of enjoy it anyway, but it just wasn't the same. The addition of zombies didn't help either.

Luke5515

Aug 25, 2008
If only getting episode 3 was as simple as killing Gabe and looting the corpse. If that was the case, I'd bet that someone would have done it already.
Loved the miniseries or whatever you want to call it.
EDIT: Haha, just noticed that hat bin. There'd be wings dedicated to hats in castle de la Gabe.

Raziel_Likes_Souls

Mar 6, 2008
Greenskeepers? Damn, your lyrics are getting more and more obscure.
Good song choice, though.

Also, how did I not see an Episode 3 joke coming?

dubious_wolf

Obfuscated Information
Jun 4, 2009
So that was kinda weird.
Awesome, but weird.
So keep up the good work?

Also Nathan Fillion thing, totally creepy.