Critical Miss: The Board

Apr 28, 2008
tzimize said:
Irridium said:
I don't know if I can cope with all the severe language in this comic. I think it needs to be censored more. My poor, sensitive ears just couldn't take it.
If it was so bad your ears couldnt take more I guess its pretty bad.

OT:

ESRB sucks.

Bulletstorm was the most fun I've had in a shooter since DN3D.
Yes. I read with my ears. Doesn't everybody?

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I've never actually read any of the ESRB's write ups, but I for one am glad for the ESRB because with them around whenever someone whines about games corrupting our children we can just point to the ESRB and say "Shut UP!" ...or rather we could.

Calcium

Dec 30, 2010
I sometimes write it as f*** and stuff... and I want one of those straws...

Chances are my mental age is rather childish. I'm actually sitting cross-legged on a lecture chair as I type this.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
"Help! I'm stuck in a dick-joke factory!", the lost Zappa album. How the Bulletstorm devs got a hold of it is beyond me.

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
Hilarious, the art's looking very stylish as well! :D

P.S. Unicorn cup with a twisty straw!

88chaz88

Jul 23, 2010
This is a first-person shooter in which players assume the role of a space pirate who must escape a planet populated by mutant cannibals. Players use futuristic machine guns, shotguns, magnum revolvers, assault rifles, and chain guns to perform over-the-top kills that dismember and decapitate foes. Injured enemies emit large sprays of blood that stain the ground and surrounding walls. Specialty kills (i.e., Skillshots) represent the most intense instances of violence: enemies can be dismembered with explosives; impaled on spikes; and drilled into walls, resulting in body parts breaking into pieces. During the course of the game, players can consume alcohol and kill enemies in order to receive an Intoxicated Skillshot; the screen turns blurry during these sequences. The dialogue contains numerous jokes and comments that reference sexual acts, venereal diseases, and having sex with one's mother (e.g., 'Guess I know where the ol' gal got that limp.'). The names of some Skillshots are infused with sexual innuendo (e.g., Gag Reflex, Rear Entry, Drilldo, Mile High Club); one Skillshot (i.e., Fire in the Hole) allows players to shoot at enemies' exposed buttocks. Language such as 'f**k,' 'sh*t,' 'p*ssy,' and 'c*ck' can be heard in dialogue.
Is anyone arguing that Bulletstorm doesn't have all this? "Childish" language aside, I think it's a fair measurement of the mature content of the game.

DaHero

Jan 10, 2011
88chaz88 said:
This is a first-person shooter in which players assume the role of a space pirate who must escape a planet populated by mutant cannibals. Players use futuristic machine guns, shotguns, magnum revolvers, assault rifles, and chain guns to perform over-the-top kills that dismember and decapitate foes. Injured enemies emit large sprays of blood that stain the ground and surrounding walls. Specialty kills (i.e., Skillshots) represent the most intense instances of violence: enemies can be dismembered with explosives; impaled on spikes; and drilled into walls, resulting in body parts breaking into pieces. During the course of the game, players can consume alcohol and kill enemies in order to receive an Intoxicated Skillshot; the screen turns blurry during these sequences. The dialogue contains numerous jokes and comments that reference sexual acts, venereal diseases, and having sex with one's mother (e.g., 'Guess I know where the ol' gal got that limp.'). The names of some Skillshots are infused with sexual innuendo (e.g., Gag Reflex, Rear Entry, Drilldo, Mile High Club); one Skillshot (i.e., Fire in the Hole) allows players to shoot at enemies' exposed buttocks. Language such as 'f**k,' 'sh*t,' 'p*ssy,' and 'c*ck' can be heard in dialogue.
Is anyone arguing that Bulletstorm doesn't have all this? "Childish" language aside, I think it's a fair measurement of the mature content of the game.
I gotta admit, I kinda missed this one myself. I could have sworn the ESRB write-ups were mainly geared towards those mothers who know nothing about game ratings. Hence the reason they seem so childish to us.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
88chaz88 said:
Wherever that quote came from they forgot dicktits.

OT: Read that then thought of the health and safety idiots who wont let us have public custard pie fights anymore...

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
Oooooooooo, you talked about pee-pees...

Very nice, I didn't realize the ERSB was so childish at times. It would be better if they figured out the context of such "mature" content. Bulletstorm does seem to use "mature" content like a teenager though.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
Yay for the end of the not-funny Steam arc. I'll miss it, but let's get back to the jokes.

Dick joke factory...10 pts.
*Head shot someone while they are yelling* - GAG REFLEX 500 points
Actually that's a decent idea...

OT: I actually enjoyed the comic... I now miss silly straws...

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
I guess one of the things you need to have done to get a job with ESRB is to ride the, as it's been called, Shortbus?

The ESRB "boss" reminds me of Butters :3

Funkyfists

Oct 21, 2009
Loved it. Best in a little while imo

Should do a comic on the upcoming gargantuan, devastating, epic, universe bending battle between the titans MW3 and Battlefield 3 that will wipe any smaller titles being released around the same time out of existence XD

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Irridium said:
I don't know if I can cope with all the severe language in this comic. I think it needs to be censored more. My poor, sensitive ears just couldn't take it.
Preach, brother.
On a different note, it's nice to see the jokes returning.

Gunner 51

Jun 21, 2009
Wa-hey, it's nice to see Critical Miss going back to it's roots again. Though I feel Erin's anger about how the ESRB's ratings system are a little archiac.

Mickus

Stitch by stitch
Sep 21, 2009
I just stopped and stared at Mol's amazing chopping skills in the first panels (she's not even LOOKING at it!) and just ignored the rest. ^_^

Staskala

Sep 28, 2010
Considering the subject matter, how exactly can you write a "mature" analysis of a game like Bulletstorm?