Critical Miss: The Guide To Skyrim Modders: Part 1

GoodApprentice

Apr 27, 2010
Damn excellent work Mr. Carter. Don't shelve the Skyrim strips just yet; there is plenty of water left in that well.

Rottweiler

Jan 20, 2008
"Tentacles rising, from the ocean blue...fightfightfight, fightfightfight, Miskatonic U!"
<makes finger-tentacles on chin>
"Goooooo 'Pods!"

The university fight song for the Miskatonic University 'Fighting Cephalopods'.

I support modding- as a long-time player of Halflife, you kinda see 'em all.

However, in my experience the thing you'll see modded most often and with incredible dedication are the following:

1. Mods involving nudity and/or sex
2. Mods which let players overcome some moral standard the game designers built into the game.

The first usually gets made, then left alone. The second tends to get modded, then modded more as time goes on.

Heck, look at Gary's Mod- I'd swear that was created solely to see how many NPC's you could create, stack, and then kill in hilarious ways.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Screw those modders, it's the one that fix the more nasty bugs and glitches and crashes that are the true heroes among modders.

Which reminds me, I need to go see if I can find something to help Fallout New Vegas' Honest Hearts add-on from constantly crashing.

seraphy

Jan 2, 2011
Tin Man said:
Hitting the nail on the head comic hits the nail on the head.

Modders are sad fucks anyway, I don't even care. Unless these people are actually game developers, these mystical room dwellers have FAR too much time on their hands.

But, if someone comes out with a mod that makes the combat not a shitty mix of back-pedalling and one-shotting, let me know.
Well that's very nice. Modders are trying to make game better for people, and usually succeed too. You know being nice!

And you call them sad fucks.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Good one, my current favorite mod is one which slows down skill leveling progression by a lot. It is way harder to achieve astronomical skill levels now.

Training is much more important so that makes money much more important. The "crafting" skills level much slower so you don't have to worry about accidentally out-leveling your combat skills by making stuff. And it takes a lot more mats to level up crafting so that again makes money more important to afford all the things you want to craft.

I run about 40 mods now, and the construction kit isnt even out. I'm sure for my next toon I'll run 300ish like I did with new vegas.

seraphy

Jan 2, 2011
Tin Man said:
Yep, don't give a shit. There are certain things where putting ungodly amounts of time into it is just a waste of your life. People take modders for granted nowadays, just like people that put things on gamefaqs, nobody really cares.
How do you know how much time people put into their mods? Hmm?

And quite lot of people care, mod that allows skyrim to use 4gb of ram has been downloaded almost 150k times.

Mysnomer

Nov 11, 2009
Grey Carter said:
The Guide To Skyrim Modders: Part 1

Okay, maybe just one or two more Skyrim strips then we?ll give it a rest.

Read Full Article
Is the Sociopath's resemblance to the Grinch intentional?

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
Tin Man said:

Modders are sad fucks anyway, I don't even care. Unless these people are actually game developers, these mystical room dwellers have FAR too much time on their hands.

But, if someone comes out with a mod that makes the combat not a shitty mix of back-pedalling and one-shotting, let me know.
Yeah. Because in past modders haven't turned out to be future developers. It's not like Team Fortress or DoTA started as simple mods, yup? It's totally not Quake, running the id engine, that influenced plenty of people that today do make games You play.

Sure, many modders won't go further than basic scripting for a game they play, but guys who make new textures, guys who code in entirely new features - They are adding to their portfolios, and probably have some background in either graphic design or programming with them.

And to perfectly honest, if You ever designed a website it's not that hard to understand the basics of game modding, since most of them use very simplified script engines for coding.

Agow95

Jul 29, 2011
Why do people keep on saying "They forgot the so-and-so modders" there are going to be two parts

bootz

Feb 28, 2011
Calendar(kitten)>Calendar(fireman)
I had this weird bug were wolves even with a hostile health bar come up wouldn't attack me.
They would just follow me around and circle me but wouldn't actually bite me. I kinda thought that would be a cool mod to be an animal friend like the fallout 3 perk.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Tin Man said:

I mean, most game developers didn't start out as modders or anything like that.

No.

You're so right. Fuck them!

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Versuvius said:
1: They forgot the titty-mods
2: I fill all of those categories...the sociopath because Dorthe KEEPS SENDING ASSASSINS AFTER ME FOR PICKING UP A BASKET.

That isn't a child. She performed the sacriment, she is as deserving of death as anybody!
I really, really was expecting the punchline to be sex mods.

Tin Man said:
seraphy said:
Tin Man said:

Well that's very nice. Modders are trying to make game better for people, and usually succeed too. You know being nice!

And you call them sad fucks.
Yep, don't give a shit. There are certain things where putting ungodly amounts of time into it is just a waste of your life. People take modders for granted nowadays, just like people that put things on gamefaqs, nobody really cares.
Correction, you don't care.

Many games that have been long ago forgotten by their own developers are still alive - Diablo 2, Titan Quest, Neverwinter Nights, thanks to modders.

I bet you're against charity and free food, too.

Cephei Mordred

Jul 23, 2011
Bah, stupid casuals...real players adapt to the game rather than trying to put a wrapper around the inconvenient parts.

Either grow crab hands or suck it up.

salinv

Mar 17, 2010
And I am reading this while I have 4 tabs open right now for Skyrim Nexus. Yes, you are completely correct.