Critical Miss: The Sega Guide

Feb 13, 2008
Mokuren said:
Sega has all the rights to shut down this project.
But a far better idea would have been to take on those talented people, help them work on a new project and, years later, unveil something that could make both of them a whole heap of money...

Just a thought.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
Grey Carter said:
DeadlyYellow said:
Tom Hill said:
SEGA gave the go ahead on the project eight years ago.
Care to lend some credence to that?
The Devs submitted [url-=http://www.bombergames.net/sorr_project/faq/]a "formal letter" to Sega [/url] but I imagine Sega gets a glut of letters every day and likely they dismissed it as yet another project by fans whose grasp exceeded their reach. What gets my goat is Sega doesn't bring it's legal foot down on all those terrible fucking flash games based on the Sonic license and only seems to care about "protecting their IPs" when the fan-made game in question is better than their own products. Sadly, considering the state of Sega these days, that covers most of the fan games out there.

standokan said:
Yeah, sega's pretty much dead
Actually not, particularly. Unlike certain other companies Sega actually posted a profit last year.
Guys here seem to forget. Every time I for example walk down to the local bowling center, theres a miniarcade. Guess who's machines and games are standing in there? (SEGA)

Bwown

Jun 22, 2010
RowdyRodimus said:
Or you can do the same comic this way:

Panel One: Show people playing a game and really digging it
Panel Two: Show those same people working on a game, talking about all the features they want to put in it making it awesome.
Panel Three: (Caption: Eight years later)Have those people ***** because they wasted time creating a new version of an IP they don't own instead of changing up characters designs and names and making their own game.

It doesn't matter how long they worked on the game or how good it is, they don't own the IP and if SEGA didn't do make them take it down, then it opens the floodgates for people to make games based on any of their properties and devalue them.
The problem is Sega usually doesn't act against those who make Sonic fan games (At least I don't think so considering there' so many Sonic fan games on the net that are well publicized), so it was kinda surprising they would take this fan game down. Also, I think Sega has done more than their fair share to devalue the Sonic IP.

The Youth Counselor

Sep 20, 2008
Furioso said:
Ickorus said:

Come the fuck on reCAPTCHA.
serek smmukar? are those even words?
I think the first is sereħ (h has an accent mark) and the second word is similar.

Keep in mind that Captcha doesn't just feature English words.

The_root_of_all_evil said:
Mokuren said:
Sega has all the rights to shut down this project.
But a far better idea would have been to take on those talented people, help them work on a new project and, years later, unveil something that could make both of them a whole heap of money...

Just a thought.
Exactly! And here are more:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/minerva

Just to name a few. If you can't beat them, then get them to join you!

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Chemical Horse said:
Grey Carter said:
Sega do what Valvedon't.
Is Valvedon't a new branch of Valve assigned to work on Episode 3, but instead of delaying it just refuse to make it?

That explains everything.
Not a typo. It's a reference to Sega's infamous Nintendon't ad campaign. Whoever did the front page got it wrong.

The Youth Counselor

Sep 20, 2008
Chemical Horse said:
All of the games I listed above started off as popular mods before their creators were paid a fortune for the rights to the IP by VALVe and hired by them. Although Garry's Mod did get published by VALVe over Steam, Garry himself wasn't hired nor did GMod become a VALVe game (instead they gave him a Source Engine license). He was interviewed for a position there though, however he didn't get it. (I'm guessing his famous personality had something to do with that.)

Grabbin Keelz

Jun 3, 2009
Ben Yahtzee had the right idea, just kill off any notion of Sonic. If Sonic fans want to play Sonic games, they can play the old ones since apparently NOTHING on this god forsaken Earth is better than the 'good ol days'.

Make a new game, no more Sonic. And while were at it maybe Nintendo can make a replacement for Mario since he seems to be running out of ideas too.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Furioso said:
RaikuFA said:
didnt square do this with chrono trigger
Well not really, they added new features including an entirely new, long, dungeon (wasn't that good but it was something) and an interesting monster arena thing that I had fun with, also allowed people to experience the game who couldn't before and didn't have the know how for emulating, in other words, yea they made a port but it was good

Oh and they had cutscenes, I also enjoyed those :D
i meant shutting down a fan project even though they said at the begining they didnt care about the project and then waiting till it was at 98% complete

VERY dick move

Frozengale

Sep 9, 2009
RaikuFA said:
didnt square do this with chrono trigger
Yeah pretty much. Which is really sad :(
I was looking forward to the 3D Fan Remake.. then I was looking forward to the Fan-Made Sequel... now I'm looking forward to the day that Square dies and loses copyright on the franchise so that both of those can be released.

aaronmcc

Oct 18, 2008
Yeah, GO FUCK YOURSELF SEGA! But....pretty please make Shenmue 3.

Please.

I'll cry if you don't.....

again.

I hear you Ikorus. If I can't understand what the fuck recaptcha says then what's the point?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
RowdyRodimus said:
Or you can do the same comic this way:

Panel One: Show people playing a game and really digging it
Panel Two: Show those same people working on a game, talking about all the features they want to put in it making it awesome.
Panel Three: (Caption: Eight years later)Have those people ***** because they wasted time creating a new version of an IP they don't own instead of changing up characters designs and names and making their own game.
Which is great, but it's not the same comic. In fact, it neatly misses the point.

The larger outrage reflected here is the fact that Sega's shutting them down while doing this other stuff, like releasing terrible looking ports that play horribly. In order to justify your rant, you've trimmed away any of the context of why for a convenient strawman to punch in the face a couple of times.

This also wasn't their only recourse to protect their property. Nor have they gone so far as to "protect" it from other fan works, which belies the notion that if they didn't, the floodgates would open.

And honestly, being in the right doesn't mean you're not a douchebag. It just means you're in the right. You can support their legal right and still condemn their actions here, or anywhere you want, really. I'm not against IP rights, but they really didn't have to go this route and they look like dicks for it. I don't like Valve, but they found another way. Lots of companies have.

Finally, just because you're legally in the right doesn't mean you're not screwing yourself over in the end. Is that the case here? Probably not, but it bears mentioning when people obsess over the letter of the law.