Critical Miss: The Sega Guide

Nightfalke

Just this guy, you know?
Sep 10, 2008
Nice use of the old school Master System box art.

I need to dust mine off and bust out some Space Harrier.

TheScottishFella

The Know-it all Detective
Nov 9, 2009
You forgot to say, create a developer dedicated to one character forcing the studio to eventually shut down.

How is Team Sonic still going?

RowdyRodimus

Apr 24, 2010
Or you can do the same comic this way:

Panel One: Show people playing a game and really digging it
Panel Two: Show those same people working on a game, talking about all the features they want to put in it making it awesome.
Panel Three: (Caption: Eight years later)Have those people ***** because they wasted time creating a new version of an IP they don't own instead of changing up characters designs and names and making their own game.

It doesn't matter how long they worked on the game or how good it is, they don't own the IP and if SEGA didn't do make them take it down, then it opens the floodgates for people to make games based on any of their properties and devalue them.

I get that many people here are anti-capitalism and against companies owning IP's (until it comes to companies and games they like such as Valve or Minecraft) but without that you get a glut of subpar games (and yes, worse than Sonic '06 would come out) which is partially (read mostly) to blame for the crash of '83, which ironically enough, was pretty much caused by Activision legitimizing third parties meaning anyone could make games for the Atari, which they did-most of which were horrible- making people not want to buy any games. So in a way, be glad Sega had it taken down (it's not like the game is lost forever, I just found it in 30 seconds of searching) it might be the greatest game ever, but when you figure you now won't see "Sonic Furries Fandemonium" or whatever it makes it worth it.

constantcompile

Sep 9, 2010
RowdyRodimus said:
Mostly true, but when you consider how commonplace unlicensed doujins, figurines, costumes etc. are in Japan, this argument loses a lot of its weight - especially when you consider that neither the fan-made Sonic or Chrono Trigger games would have cost anything.

This is the equivalent of preventing a fan from wearing and distributing free Sonic t-shirts - sure, there might be pennies to be made, but honestly? Free advertising is free advertising, free publicity is free publicity. Part of the reason why Valve is so respected is because it gives unlicensed mods its blessing and even distributes them on Steam. That respect can and will translate into revenue, as it could have for Sega and Square Enix.

This is just a dick move.

Tom Hill

Jun 28, 2010
RowdyRodimus said:

they don't own the IP and if SEGA didn't do make them take it down, then it opens the floodgates for people to make games based on any of their properties and devalue them.
SEGA gave the go ahead on the project eight years ago.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
DeadlyYellow said:
Tom Hill said:
Care to lend some credence to that?
The Devs submitted [url-=http://www.bombergames.net/sorr_project/faq/]a "formal letter" to Sega [/url] but I imagine Sega gets a glut of letters every day and likely they dismissed it as yet another project by fans whose grasp exceeded their reach. What gets my goat is Sega doesn't bring it's legal foot down on all those terrible fucking flash games based on the Sonic license and only seems to care about "protecting their IPs" when the fan-made game in question is better than their own products. Sadly, considering the state of Sega these days, that covers most of the fan games out there.

standokan said:
Yeah, sega's pretty much dead
Actually not, particularly. Unlike certain other companies Sega actually posted a profit last year.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
constantcompile said:
RowdyRodimus said:
Mostly true, but when you consider how commonplace unlicensed doujins, figurines, costumes etc. are in Japan, this argument loses a lot of its weight - especially when you consider that neither the fan-made Sonic or Chrono Trigger games would have cost anything.

This is the equivalent of preventing a fan from wearing and distributing free Sonic t-shirts - sure, there might be pennies to be made, but honestly? Free advertising is free advertising, free publicity is free publicity. Part of the reason why Valve is so respected is because it gives unlicensed mods its blessing and even distributes them on Steam. That respect can and will translate into revenue, as it could have for Sega and Square Enix.

This is just a dick move.
Perfectly sums up what I was going to say.

And yet people still don't understand why Valve fans hold such love for the developer.

Come the fuck on reCAPTCHA.

9Darksoul6

Jul 12, 2010
RowdyRodimus said:
I get that many people here are anti-capitalism and against companies owning IP's (until it comes to companies and games they like such as Valve or Minecraft) but without that you get a glut of subpar games
You have no objective way to prove that.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
DeadlyYellow said:
Tom Hill said:
Care to lend some credence to that?
From the SorR terms of use said:
USE
This game is an unofficial remake and is not affiliated with Sega (who know of it?s existence through a formal letter).
Source: http://www.bombergames.net/sorr_project/faq/

From the original Escapist news article said:
Bomber Games - the site behind the game - said that it had previously contacted Sega about using its copyrighted material, via email at first and then later by way of a formal letter.
Source: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.276761-Sega-Puts-a-Stop-to-Streets-of-Rage-Fan-Game

They did notify Sega that they were working on it, when that was I cannot say. Depending on how long it's been since Sega was made aware that the project was ongoing it kinda makes it a dick move to let them develop it for 8 years without bringing down the hammer only to shut them down a few days after they finally release it.

Legally the situation is black and white; Sega has every right to shutdown a fan project. That doesn't mean we have to agree with their decision; nor does it mean we can't view it in a negative light. Since by all outward appearances they let the game go through the full 8 years (maybe less) of development and shut it down only when it was released. If they didn't want them making it they should have shut them down long before now.

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
RowdyRodimus said:

Panel One: Show people playing a game and really digging it
Panel Two: Show those same people working on a game, talking about all the features they want to put in it making it awesome.
Panel Three: (Caption: Eight years later)Have those people ***** because they wasted time creating a new version of an IP they don't own instead of changing up characters designs and names and making their own game.

It doesn't matter how long they worked on the game or how good it is, they don't own the IP and if SEGA didn't do make them take it down, then it opens the floodgates for people to make games based on any of their properties and devalue them.

I get that many people here are anti-capitalism and against companies owning IP's (until it comes to companies and games they like such as Valve or Minecraft) but without that you get a glut of subpar games (and yes, worse than Sonic '06 would come out) which is partially (read mostly) to blame for the crash of '83, which ironically enough, was pretty much caused by Activision legitimizing third parties meaning anyone could make games for the Atari, which they did-most of which were horrible- making people not want to buy any games. So in a way, be glad Sega had it taken down (it's not like the game is lost forever, I just found it in 30 seconds of searching) it might be the greatest game ever, but when you figure you now won't see "Sonic Furries Fandemonium" or whatever it makes it worth it.
They had permission from Sega.

Had permission from Sega.

I've repeated the above several times because you obviously failed to read it the first dozen times, when it was posted on every blog and thread on the subject. Not only did they have permission from Sega, they obtained it *several times* during the life of the project.