Critical Miss: The Sega Guide

robinkom

Jan 8, 2009
xengk said:
Actually, SEGA has long ago found another gold mine: Gambling.
If you visit Tokyo anytime soon be sure to drop by the local Pachinko, Arcade and UFO Catcher outlet. They are predominate either run by SEGA or filled with SEGA machines.
Club SEGA is also everywhere in major Japan city, while SEGA Joypolis in Odaiba Tokyo is pretty much THE place for young gamers to hang out and play.

Heck, they even went into toy business producing non-Sonic goods. Check your local Anime toy shop, good chance you will find a few Evangelion figurine with the "SEGA Prize" stamp.
I'm aware of the toys and such, they've been doing that for a while. The gambling was brought on because of Sammy being the largest Pachinko manufacturer in Japan and their ownership of SEGA. Even before Sammy, when CSK was their parent company, there weren't many others who could stand up to SEGA in the arcades. Regardless of their spotty home console record, they're pretty much King of the Arcades.

The fact of the matter is the home video game market as a whole is stagnating in Japan, all companies are suffering. They're especially having an increasingly difficult time gaining ground in the Western market which is dominated by gritty American-style FPS and Action games. What works in Japan won't necessarily work in America & Europe, and vice versa.

domicius

Apr 2, 2008
Well, I'm gonna side with the camp that thinks that SEGA waited till the game was finished before closing it down.

It's a done and dusted program, and will live on the internets - and SEGA gets to protect its IP as it must, IP being the dark master that it is.

And as long as SEGA turns a blind eye to people swapping it around... who's to say?

But that fan remake is, indeed, awesome.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Could somebody give me a link to the shut-down SA project?

...Also, I own the current version of the official game. It was worth 20 bucks, but only for one playthrough.

NoeL

May 14, 2011
Wonder how long it'll be before Sega axes this little gem: http://sonicfanremix.com/

By the way, if anyone wants to play that Streets of Rage game, http://fenopy.eu/torrent/Streets+of+Rage+Remake+v5+0+Final/Njk4MzMxMQ