Crysis 2 Review

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
So, sounds like they've simplified the nanosuit a fair bit when it was already simple enough. They've apparently not bothered to put a lot of effort into the story and only ten hours for the single-player campaign? Are Crytek kidding here? I loved Crysis 1, and Crysis Warhead, but I don't think I'll be buying this.

"The game also includes a tactical vision mode that highlights on the screen key locations where certain types of play might be appropriate. It might, for instance, call out a sniping position on a roof, or a subway entrance you can use to sneak around behind your enemies."
Really? And console gamers wonder why PC gamers complain that console versions cause PC franchises to get dumbed down. Looks like Crysis 2 is the perfect illustration of why such complaints are made.

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
I want to try it sometime, but play Crysis 1 first. I never got the first, though, because of SecuROM. I don't mind DRM in general, but I don't want a program eating my CPU away.

MGlBlaze

Oct 28, 2009
Delusibeta said:
Do note that this is based on the 360 version, thus most complaints about the PC version (poor textures, complete lack of graphics options, sheer laziness in porting) doesn't apply.
I haven't noticed any texture problems yet.

I will say the lack of customisable graphics is a little alloying though; it lets you set the screen resolution and change all the settings in general, but without using console commands you can't set individual components separately. I can run it at max settings with 1680x1050, but hypothetically if I didn't have a fairly good graphics card and I didn't care about the anti-aliasing but I did care about model and texture detail, I wouldn't be able to make that choice to get an 'optimal' graphical experience for me.

Also, the 45 degree FOV is kinda sucky. I like having 90 so it's actually somewhat close to what a human's field of vision is (Although that's still quite far off; A human eyeball's vision covers 155 degrees horizonaly and 125 degrees vertically.).

At least there isn't auto-aim. I don't like auto-aim you can't turn off on any PC version. I'd be insulted if it turned out I've been playing with auto-aim so far.
...Please tell me the PC version either has no auto-aim or has auto-aim you can easily turn off and is forced off in most multiplayer servers...

ImmortalDrifter

Jan 6, 2011
MGlBlaze said:
Delusibeta said:
Do note that this is based on the 360 version, thus most complaints about the PC version (poor textures, complete lack of graphics options, sheer laziness in porting) doesn't apply.
I haven't noticed any texture problems yet.

I will say the lack of customisable graphics is a little alloying though; it lets you set the screen resolution and change all the settings in general, but without using console commands you can't set individual components separately. I can run it at max settings with 1680x1050, but hypothetically if I didn't have a fairly good graphics card and I didn't care about the anti-aliasing but I did care about model and texture detail, I wouldn't be able to make that choice to get an 'optimal' graphical experience for me.

Also, the 45 degree FOV is kinda sucky. I like having 90 so it's actually somewhat close to what a human's field of vision is (Although that's still quite far off; A human eyeball's vision covers 155 degrees horizonaly and 125 degrees vertically.).

At least there isn't auto-aim. I'd be insulted if there was auto-aim you couldn't turn off on the PC version.
...Please tell me the PC version either has no auto-aim or has auto-aim you can easily turn off and is forced off in most multiplayer servers...
Rest easy, there is none.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
lithium.jelly said:
So, sounds like they've simplified the nanosuit a fair bit when it was already simple enough. They've apparently not bothered to put a lot of effort into the story and only ten hours for the single-player campaign? Are Crytek kidding here? I loved Crysis 1, and Crysis Warhead, but I don't think I'll be buying this.

"The game also includes a tactical vision mode that highlights on the screen key locations where certain types of play might be appropriate. It might, for instance, call out a sniping position on a roof, or a subway entrance you can use to sneak around behind your enemies."
Really? And console gamers wonder why PC gamers complain that console versions cause PC franchises to get dumbed down. Looks like Crysis 2 is the perfect illustration of why such complaints are made.
1. They didn't simplify the nanosuit, they simplified the nanosuit interface, instead of the radial menu, you press specific keys to activate the different abilities of the suit. E for Camo, Q for Armor etc ... So the default mode you are in, is separate from Armor mode, turning your character into a real tank in a firefight. I believe Warhead had the same interface, going to re-install it later on tonight. Strength and Speed has been streamlined, and definitely feels more natural than in Crysis. Switching to strength just for the sake of punching people or jumping higher was a real annoyance, sure it took some practice to naturally switch between those modes, but in the long run, it was an annoyance. Crysis 2 version of STR and SPD is definitely much more easier to use when need be. Not to mention the addition of sliding while meleing/shooting is fantastic, as well as the stealth melee kills which is a great and efficient way of dispatching enemies, then going back in stealth mode.

Additionally, the nanosuit can be upgraded, kinda like having perks in CoD MP, you get 3 slots, and 3 options in each, you want your character to run without making noise? Or do you want another feature that highlight the patrol patterns of the enemies? Etc ... That make the nanosuit feel feature-heavy, unlike the relatively simplistic suit in Crysis 1. Replaying that one atm.

2. Going from Windows 95 to 98 to XP to Vista, ever noticed how each OS try to hold your hand by treating you like a baby? That's how GUI are developed, they want to give the user an easy-to-use interface, but that doesn't always mean you need to stick to the information those little popups and help dialogues want you to do. You will always find experts messing around with their OS to improve their experience with it. Like editing MSConfig to prevent some services from launching on startup. Guess what, that's exactly what the new Visor does.

For beginners, they might be overwhelmed with the different options available to them, when handing a combat scenario. This is Crysis, I mean, you could go in all gun-blazing, or find a vantage point and pick off people from a distance, or go in close like the Predator and what them panic as you slit their throats and snap some necks, while they desperately try to locate you. So the Visor, gives them a few choices "Go here if you want to snipe, or why don't your explore this location here?". And guess what, you don't need to follow those instructions, they are just there if you really need them. I am however, not sure if you can hide it, but from a lore/story point of view, it makes sense to have that as a feature, since there is, I believe, an AI assisting you, or embedded within the Nanosuit.

3. The only thing I can say right now, PC Gamers (I believe I fall within this category) are acting like children. z0mg, no DX11 support, z0mg, this game looks great, I am having trouble thinking about this "more, more, better graphics, they need to be better!!!!" attitude some gamers are taking with this game atm (at least, on the steam forums), Crysis 1 was gorgeous granted, + with more fauna and flora, the game is definitely more cpu/gpu extensive than a game set within an urban setting should be. Yet this game engine is definitely optimized, better than the Crysis engine is. It runs smoothly, and look damn fine to my eyes.

It might not have the huge, massive open world environment as crysis, but you definitely go from one action sequence to the next faster than in Crysis. while crysis definitely has a good amount of these combat sequences, from ambushing patrols to convoys and attacking little outposts of Koreans, Crysis 2 makes up with a more cinematic feeling to it, the cutscenes and "quick time events" are well done etc ... The game definitely feels easy on Normal, I would assume I would be more prone to play carefully on Hard, but then again, Crysis was easy on Hard as well if you prepared your assault carefully.

4. About the Story and main protagonist, like someone just recently added, it does feel a bit goofy how he is mute, and follows orders without questioning them, almost as if he was a little doggy. But seriously, Gordon Freeman never spoke one damn word, and he still managed to save Humanity! Give this Prophet look-alike a chance.

5. Also, how did the aliens go from Freezeray to Squid-rinator?

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Drakmorg said:
Then again maybe I'm just biased because it looks like all they did was take Call of Duty and shove Halo Reach armor powers into it.
Yes, because CoD and Halo were so revolutionary that everything is copying them.

OT: I'm really enjoying this game, just as good, if not better than the original and easier to run on the PC.

MGlBlaze said:
There's a user created program for everything from FOV to advanced graphics. rather than use the developer console, use this. http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1807934

SyphonX

Coffee Bandit
Mar 22, 2009
Crysis 2 is a huge step backward from Crysis 1.

I didn't realize they would make so much cuts for the console development, but they did. For instance, on PC, there are no graphics options. Absolutely none. You can choose from a few presets (e.g. Extreme) and that is all. As a PC game, this is probably the worst entry for lack of customization ever, and that is saying a lot. Second, the Field of View is tremendously awful, just awful. It made me dizzy.

No destructible environments, the levels are very narrow and linear, the AI is poor and it turns into space invaders 95% of the time.

To be perfectly honest, this is an awful game. This would be a great first franchise entry for a company, but as a sequel to one of the greatest PC technical achievements ever, this is a flop. For anyone that doesn't realize this, you are in denial, including the delusional folks at PC Gamer who failed to report on this. Or you are simply who they are catering to with this entry, such as people who enjoy CoD and think it's mediocre mechanics are the greatest technical achievements ever.

I started playing the game, and couldn't finish it. The plot is mostly an incoherent mess, and everything is strung together. Honestly, I was flabbergasted by how mediocre it is.

ModusPwnens

Jun 6, 2010
I've been playing this on the 360 today, and it does look damn good. The textures, however, are really nothing special on the xbox - you'll definitely get much higher resolution textures on the PC, I'd imagine by some distance.

Good game so far! A few things seem kind of weird though. I've read a lot about the AI in this game, and I've found that, playing on Veteran, it's mostly decent - mostly. Enemies react how you'd expect them to react, but they don't ever come up with any cool strategies of their own. After about 25 minutes I think I knew pretty much every AI subroutine, and it's nowhere near as dynamic as say, Halo's AI. As I said, most of the time it's ok, but sometimes (quite frequently) enemies just become *retarded*.

For example, I was on this rooftop sniping at some dudes. One enemy soldier comes up a flight of stairs towards me, runs into a lamppost, and just continues running into the lamppost. His teammates behind him are shooting at me, and they end up killing him lol. Future products of America's education system right there.

One thing that REALLY annoys me is the narrow field of view. This is ok when you're panning your camera around taking in the view, but when some asshole alien knocks you over, the tight viewing angle makes it unnecessarily difficult to aim at close range. I find that I'll often swing around and pan right past the alien, either that or he just fills the whole fucking field of view. The controls aren't the smoothest either, but it's good enough.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I'd say that was an accurate review.

I'll probably snap this up when it goes on sale.

SyphonX

Coffee Bandit
Mar 22, 2009
Here is a metacritic user review I found, that pretty much sums up all the major flaws with this sequel:

(user: deskrit) http://www.metacritic.com/user/deskrit
Lets get this out of the way: graphically speaking, Crysis 2 is noticeably behind the original, both artistically and technically. This should not be a surprise given the console oriented nature of the title. A side effect that has been turned into part of the games advertising is that "it runs better than Crysis 1 because of the optimizations". This is not true, it runs better because the game is so much smaller in scope and the fidelity has been reduced. I will also point out that the entire graphical options menu has been removed, replaced with 3 presets ala Metro 2033. Make of that what you will. (SyphonX input: actually, Metro 2033 has a bunch of customization options.)

The worst aspect, though, comes from the console oriented gameplay. Gone is the intuitive nano-suit from the original game, replaced by what boils down to a handful of hot keyed spells with some upgrades. Strength and speed are now "automatic" which, gameplay wise, means they are no longer present; your jump and sprint are now equivalent to the original strength and speed. The cloak and armor work more or less the same, but the means by which you pick them has been changed to a simple hotkey instead of the radial "jinking" of the first game(which had options for both, as well as combination keys for activation), which cuts the possibility of those awesome predator style murder fests that you might have enacted, or watched on youtube. Those wont be happening anymore. Partly because of the suit, mainly because of the layout and philosophy of the game. The entire game just feels alot more homogenized.

The levels and engagements are totally linear now, there are only a handful of encounters that have multiple approaches. You no longer have any real tactical choice, but there is the illusion of it by means of very deliberate, obvious, and caged approaches that never go beyond "forward charge with assault weapon down street with plenty of overturned cars to duck behind" or "obviously open building window with sniper ammo in the closet". That's pretty much it. There is no sneaking, no grabbing a guy in cloak, jumping on a building and throwing him into the ocean before any of his buddies can react. No planting bombs on a roadway used by a jeep, waiting in the forest for it to come by and BOOM. No cloaking behind a rock and firing a silenced rifle bullet into the gas tank of a passing truck, and watching while the crew runs screaming into the ocean before picking off the couple of guys who survived.

The sprawling jungle is gone, replaced by a cityscape that would have a hard time fitting its entirety into the first section of the original game. This is a console shooter ported to PC with the word Crysis stamped on the box. It is as enjoyable as any other game of this genre, perhaps one of the better ones in fact, but dont be fooled by the pedigree. This is not the Crysis 2 you thought it would be.

ModusPwnens

Jun 6, 2010
A minor critique, but the achievements in this game are fairly disappointing. There's huge scope for ridiculous achievements, given all the cool shit you can do with the nano suit, but the achievements are mostly just "you beat level 1" and "you killed 5 dudes with a pistol".

brumley53

Oct 19, 2009
I couldn't care about any of the things that most PC gamers are bitching about, my main problem is that they removed Strength and speed mode, some people will say it streamlined it but it actually made it worse. If you get used to switching suit modes in crysis 1(which wasn't that hard) you could do some amazing things that you can't do in crysis 2 because of the removal of strength and speed.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
HerbertTheHamster said:
D_987 said:
HerbertTheHamster said:
Crysis 2 is very mediocre, 5/10 at most. The thing that bugs me most is that the FOV is like 45 or something, it's like the nanosuit blocks out 80% of your vision.

Sadly, game reviews can never be taken seriously because 8/10 is a "decent" score for AAA games.
Or people just don't have the same opinion as you regarding the game...
This is true, but I'm referring to the industry as a whole. When a movie or book is average it gets a 5/10. When a game is average it gets a 7/10 or a 8/10.
Maybe the game is just NOT average?

figday

Mar 22, 2011
hmm, im quite skeptical with this review (and others).
i immediately cancelled my pre-order after trying out the demo which is Crysis Of Duty 2.

i mean, i LOVED the original! one of the prettiest and best FPS ive ever played. And now the nano powers got nerfed to invisibility and armour only (i guess its because controllers doesnt have that much buttons). No quick save? seriously? that means almost no room to test out various approaches on enemy bases, no fun! Yes it has sprint, but compared with the max-speed in C1, its like your playing as Usain Bolt rather than The Flash. No max-strength, no more satisfaction when you jump up a huge obstacle when turning on the max-strength like before. And now your playing as Alcatraz, the hell happened to Nomad?!

what the hell is going on with sequels this year? definitely gonna wait for a HUGE sale on this one, because im sure i wont regret not playing it now.

/waiting for Yahtzee to review this. And DA2 as well.

m72_ar

Oct 27, 2010
Wicky_42 said:
Ok, 10hr campaign is good, but I still want to know how it performs on PC before I'd spend money on it. The multiplayer demo did not spark my interest at all, I'd only be getting it for the single player and the graphics - here's hoping they see fit to incorporate Dx11 sometime in the near future...
It run quite well on my 4 year old machine.
Core2Quad 2.66 GHz
2GB of ram
ATi 5770 1GB

Run it on very high on 1440x900 (I have a relatively small monitor) with no hiccups at all.
At least early in the game

m72_ar

Oct 27, 2010
SyphonX said:
Here is a metacritic user review I found, that pretty much sums up all the major flaws with this sequel:

(user: deskrit) http://www.metacritic.com/user/deskrit

The worst aspect, though, comes from the console oriented gameplay. Gone is the intuitive nano-suit from the original game, replaced by what boils down to a handful of hot keyed spells with some upgrades. Strength and speed are now "automatic" which, gameplay wise, means they are no longer present; your jump and sprint are now equivalent to the original strength and speed. The cloak and armor work more or less the same, but the means by which you pick them has been changed to a simple hotkey instead of the radial "jinking" of the first game(which had options for both, as well as combination keys for activation), which cuts the possibility of those awesome predator style murder fests that you might have enacted, or watched on youtube. Those wont be happening anymore. Partly because of the suit, mainly because of the layout and philosophy of the game. The entire game just feels alot more homogenized.
radial power selection in Crysis 1 is good?

Using that radial menu is extremely annoying and unintuitive, the moment i realize i can activate cloak by double tapping crouch I never used that radial menu again.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Alright, Steve, I know you respond to questions, so, yeah...
Steve Butts said:
are as tired of Call of Duty clones as I am
Which CoD clones? What are those infinite CoD clones everyone is talking about, apart from MoH and Homefront?

OT: So, the story sucks, huh. Guess that trash-talking the writer did was only that, trash-talking.

MJpoland

Legacy
Jan 12, 2011
Country
Poland
Game is pretty enjoyable, besides some bugs... AI really looks somehow broken, enemy soldiers are acting in weird way (like soldier, who is away about 200 metres sees me and shoots me for a few minutes, but those 10 metres away from me (however below) don't notice me at all... where is so called "I heard shots" thing? Not to mention the fact of soldiers running into objects or into themselves... AI in Crysis 1 was for sure much better, I don't remember any of those problems

And my favourite bug, the space-wrapping shotgun :D
http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/7058/crysisg.jpg