Crysis 2 Review

ShenCS

Aug 24, 2010
I like how the review is full of gushing praise and saying that the flaws don't mean much, but still only gives it four stars. Some games get given 5 stars (usually deservedly), but talk about how meaningful the flaws are. Odd.

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
JourneyThroughHell said:
I can see where you're coming from - most of these games are military FPS games set somewhere in the Middle East and have Americans and other European nations shooting bad guys. But, that's the setting and, really, you can't say Prototype's a Grand Theft Auto clone just for them both being set in a fake-y NYC.

Gameplay-wise, these games are quite different. In fact, I know a lot of people who, based on the demo, got the impression that Crysis 2 is more of a CoD knockoff than most of the games listed. Me being one of them.
It seems like you're disagreeing with me while also basically saying exactly what I said. There are a ton of brown-toned military themed games and the differences between them are negligible.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Steve Butts said:
It seems like you're disagreeing with me while also basically saying exactly what I said. There are a ton of brown-toned military themed games and the differences between them are negligible.
I didn't say anything about the differences being negligible.

If you're going to state that the differences between Arma and CoD are negligible because they're both about shooting modern guns at insurgents, that's going to be a wrong statement.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
tehroc said:
How long did it take you to go through Black Ops? 5 hours at most? Yet I bet you'll be buying the next one no matter what.

If you have a 360 and like FPS shooters, Crysis 2 is a must play title. Biggest complaint, no dedicated servers for multiplayer. Cmon EA has always been good at providing dedicated servers for their games, why is this one using a P2P system?
Didnt buy Black Ops. PC gamer. Hate multiplayer in general.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
JourneyThroughHell said:
Any FPS game is a Doom clone!! rawr! But seriously, as similar as a lot of shooters are to following the CoD model, some of them are actually quite good. If it weren't for the massive amount of hackers on Homefront I would still be playing that.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
ah man, as much as I wanna get through Homefront for the story not the gameplay, I now really wanna play Crysis 2 for the gameplay
of course graphics, even on the consoles (seriously!), but still... guess it's not a problem considering DNF is now delayed (who didn't see THAT coming >:p bahaha)

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
tehroc said:
008Zulu said:
10 hours huh? Not worth it.
How long did it take you to go through Black Ops? 5 hours at most? Yet I bet you'll be buying the next one no matter what.

If you have a 360 and like FPS shooters, Crysis 2 is a must play title. Biggest complaint, no dedicated servers for multiplayer. Cmon EA has always been good at providing dedicated servers for their games, why is this one using a P2P system?
dude when I heard Crysis 2's campaign was 10-11 hours long I was lke "whoa this might be worth more than a rental"

=.= man...these short FPS campaigns really have become a staple of the genre. sighhh

Impertinent

Jun 13, 2009
Could we get a control option where the grenades are mapped to the face buttons . This game is awesome ,but throwing a grenade is a bit of a chore especially in a frantic round of MP . the rocket launcher is mapped to the d-pad how about a d-pad option for grenades ?

Continuity

May 20, 2010
HerbertTheHamster said:
D_987 said:
HerbertTheHamster said:
Crysis 2 is very mediocre, 5/10 at most. The thing that bugs me most is that the FOV is like 45 or something, it's like the nanosuit blocks out 80% of your vision.

Sadly, game reviews can never be taken seriously because 8/10 is a "decent" score for AAA games.
Or people just don't have the same opinion as you regarding the game...
This is true, but I'm referring to the industry as a whole. When a movie or book is average it gets a 5/10. When a game is average it gets a 7/10 or a 8/10.
meh, we all know how it works so it doesn't really matter.

10/10 = They paid me

9/10 = Fantastic game

8/10 = Great game

7/10 = Good but with some shortcomings

6/10 = Game breaking flaws or incredibly bland

anything less = I will spoon my eyes out rather than play this.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
Seneschal said:
ZeroMachine said:
They were in Brazil to track down someone linked to Makarov and his weapon supplies. That led them to the gulag because the guy confessed that Makarov wanted someone, namely Price, dead, most likely for his involvement with the death of Zakhaev in Modern Warfare 1, whom Makarov viewed an an idol and martyr.

Why the hell does everyone has such an issue understanding the story of Modern Warfare 2? I don't get it... It's a simple story, if a little convoluted. Am I playing a different game? Gah...

Anyways, I think I may get this when I get a better PC. I saw it in 3D at PAX East and it looked awesome, and I actually kind of enjoyed the demo, so I don't see why not. Better get the first one first, though...
That makes no sense. It isn't convoluted, it isn't even connected. So, someone in Brazil supplied Makarov with weapons. On the verge of war, the best special forces unit in the world goes to South America to track this guy who might not know anything, and certainly doesn't know where Makarov is now. He inexplicably knows about someone whom Makarov wants dead. That someone is in a russian gulag, he could have been killed by Makarov at any time, knows nothing, means nothing, and is just a hook to get Price back. How they justified this expense of military assets is never explained. Oh, and this aimless little sidequest takes up most of Act 1 and 2.

I'm not surprised that they can hire Morgan, a published sci-fi bestseller writer, and still botch the story. Crysis 2 has a bad story because it's a shooter. Shooters inherently lack the capacity to carry a dramatic arc because they require that your character does not interact with anything other than his guns, that he doesn't speak (because a voiced first-person role is confusing and distracting), that the tension doesn't drop, and that you never face insurmountable odds because that would break the difficulty. They represent a tiny facet of potential events in a story (namely, gunfights) and build a 5-10-hour experience on that. If the story ends up being good, it is mostly divorced from the actual gameplay, or at least isn't reinforced by it.

However, setting, environment, tone, pacing, atmosphere - this is where a shooter can shine just like any other game. And many do, especially those often-mentioned gems like Bioshock and Deus Ex, but that doesn't make their story any better. They just make their worlds more fleshed-out and plausible. It's always the same goal-oriented filler, with an epic background event if the writers are any good. Crysis 1 lacked any focus in this area, and was mostly what you made it be and how you chose to play it. The sequel seems to aim at more consistency, but it again gets bogged down in stupid plots and exposition that never did shooters any good.
you dont think bioshocks story is any good?

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
HerbertTheHamster said:
Crysis 2 is very mediocre, 5/10 at most. The thing that bugs me most is that the FOV is like 45 or something, it's like the nanosuit blocks out 80% of your vision.

Sadly, game reviews can never be taken seriously because 8/10 is a "decent" score for AAA games.
Yeah, the FOV is weird, although like the other guy said, different people have different opinions to you. The most you can hope for is that the more people like it, the more chance you have of liking it.

Duffeknol

Aug 28, 2010
I've got a question, just cause I'm curious. Why do you guys (usually) review the console version of a game and not the PC one? It's not criticism, I just really want to know :)

mechanixis

Oct 16, 2009
Thank you, Crytek. In a market saturated with gritty, brown, one-dimensional shooters, Crysis 2 is a refreshing alternative.
What? What grittier and browner games than Crysis 2 are saturating the market, exactly?

I'm sorry, but this strawman of the Horrible Brown Video Game is really starting to get under my skin. Crysis 2 is a first-person shooter about a man in a robot suit who fights aliens and PMCs to protect America. In what way is that not the blandest, most overdone thing possible? Why is it forgiven for being the illegitimate child of Halo and Modern Warfare because it includes the color green?