Cyberpunk 2077 Review thread - Umm....

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I think that those bits in this game may be too spoilery and come in later so they've not been showcased or something. But yeah you play as a mercenary here so it's more about a cool experience rather than too much philosophy. But I mean, you already have Keanu in your head so that's good enough of a launching pad for transhumanist thought. We already are seeing that we can sorta download out souls and stay alive that way. I don't expect it to go Nier automata levels or GitS levels with it but it's still looking good either way.
We'll see how deep they go with that aspect of the genre. I'm skeptical, given my opinion on CDPR's work, but who knows.

I think one of the issues is that there is a significant difference in the world, between the time when Cyberpunk was first developed back in the 80s, and today. And our concepts of technology and how it works, is perceived, etc, are vastly different to back then. So I think there is a bit of a friction between trying to be true to the spirit of the source material, and making it be more accurate to real world advances. Again, we'll see though.

Also, Johnny Silver Hand is what, a projection in our head? Not actually there? That's what your comment seems to suggest, but that's the first I've heard of that.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
We'll see how deep they go with that aspect of the genre. I'm skeptical, given my opinion on CDPR's work, but who knows.

I think one of the issues is that there is a significant difference in the world, between the time when Cyberpunk was first developed back in the 80s, and today. And our concepts of technology and how it works, is perceived, etc, are vastly different to back then. So I think there is a bit of a friction between trying to be true to the spirit of the source material, and making it be more accurate to real world advances. Again, we'll see though.

Also, Johnny Silver Hand is what, a projection in our head? Not actually there? That's what your comment seems to suggest, but that's the first I've heard of that.
He's IN the chip that you stick to your neck in the e3 trailer. So it's like he's alive from within you and you are acting together towards a shared goal. It's a literal ghost and you're the shell so he's kinda always in your head observing and pitching in, that kinda thing. Also I think you relieve his memories in the first person too. I know for a fact he is supposed to have died ages ago.

They're talking about some tech that grants immortality in the trailer, it's prolly deeply linked with whatever turned Keanu's consciousness into something that can be put in a chip and then downloaded into a person.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
He's IN the chip that you stick to your neck in the e3 trailer. So it's like he's alive from within you and you are acting together towards a shared goal. It's a literal ghost and you're the shell so he's kinda always in your head observing and pitching in, that kinda thing. Also I think you relieve his memories in the first person too. I know for a fact he is supposed to have died ages ago.

They're talking about some tech that grants immortality in the trailer, it's prolly deeply linked with whatever turned Keanu's consciousness into something that can be put in a chip and then downloaded into a person.
Ah, interesting, never actually watched the full trailers or anything, just caught bits. Well, that's not true, I saw the first teaser trailers that didn't actually talk about anything. Since then I've mostly avoided the content, as I don't plan on getting the game any time soon, despite my love of the genre. I do find that REALLY interesting though, as that's almost exactly the premise they ran with, in the movie Johnny Mnemonic. That he had an AI in his head. It was heavily implied, that the Pharmacom data he was smuggling, was actually the AI of the woman, who was the original founder of the company. To have Keanu play something similar, in someone else's head, that just makes me smile in my little cybersoul. :D 10 bucks say they make a "hack your own brain" or "loop it" joke somewhere in the banter between you and Johnny. Oh shit...shit that just dawned on me. Johnny Silverhand, Johnny Mnemonic, and he's an AI. Wow, yeah I see why they got him to play it more now. Beyond just the Keanusance stuff. For some reason my brain just glided over the same first name bit.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Ah, interesting, never actually watched the full trailers or anything, just caught bits. Well, that's not true, I saw the first teaser trailers that didn't actually talk about anything. Since then I've mostly avoided the content, as I don't plan on getting the game any time soon, despite my love of the genre. I do find that REALLY interesting though, as that's almost exactly the premise they ran with, in the movie Johnny Mnemonic. That he had an AI in his head. It was heavily implied, that the Pharmacom data he was smuggling, was actually the AI of the woman, who was the original founder of the company. To have Keanu play something similar, in someone else's head, that just makes me smile in my little cybersoul. :D 10 bucks say they make a "hack your own brain" or "loop it" joke somewhere in the banter between you and Johnny. Oh shit...shit that just dawned on me. Johnny Silverhand, Johnny Mnemonic, and he's an AI. Wow, yeah I see why they got him to play it more now. Beyond just the Keanusance stuff. For some reason my brain just glided over the same first name bit.
To me that kinda reminded me of Nier Automata, like a proto-version of what eventually leads to the system used there. But yeah Keanu fits this like a glove for sure. It's why I was saying that this stuff is prolly too spoilery to showcase though since it seems central to the main story. Also it puts in added tension if you play as a corpo, Keanu will prolly be mad at you at first which will be funny.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
To me that kinda reminded me of Nier Automata, like a proto-version of what eventually leads to the system used there. But yeah Keanu fits this like a glove for sure. It's why I was saying that this stuff is prolly too spoilery to showcase though since it seems central to the main story. Also it puts in added tension if you play as a corpo, Keanu will prolly be mad at you at first which will be funny.
Never played Nier beyond the first 15 minutes or so, so can't really compare, but I've watched Johnny Mnemonic more times than I can count, and the parallels to that plot are very similar, at least from the bits you've described so far.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Never played Nier beyond the first 15 minutes or so, so can't really compare, but I've watched Johnny Mnemonic more times than I can count, and the parallels to that plot are very similar, at least from the bits you've described so far.
Oh then you definitely should get back to that haha. I'll not spoil anything but Nier has the best story of the generation hands down.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK

Yup, pretty sure Johnny Silverhand died sometime in 2023-4 storming Arasaka towers.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Oh then you definitely should get back to that haha. I'll not spoil anything but Nier has the best story of the generation hands down.
I really didn't enjoy the gameplay so I doubt I'll go back to it. I have watched a YT vid that was like...30 minutes long or so, going into detail about what the story of Nier:Automata is. Interesting concept, not something I feel I want to play, especially not like 5 fucking times through to get the "true" ending.

I don't have a lot of patience/stomach for the weirdness that is Japanese video games.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
I really didn't enjoy the gameplay so I doubt I'll go back to it. I have watched a YT vid that was like...30 minutes long or so, going into detail about what the story of Nier:Automata is. Interesting concept, not something I feel I want to play, especially not like 5 fucking times through to get the "true" ending.

I don't have a lot of patience/stomach for the weirdness that is Japanese video games.
That's kind of a misnomer. It's not like you play the game the same way but just the ending changes or you see a new cutscene. You play the game with a different perspective as a different character so while the plot is roughly the same you experience it through a different set of eyes and learn more about what was actually transpiring during the first playthrough, and then the third time around you realize that the other two playthroughs had only gone up to about 50% of the actual story and then the rest half of the game opens up.

People psych themselves out with terms like "you have to play the game 3 times" when that's really not at all what playing the game feels like. It feels like entirely distinct experiences with each playthrough.

And as for the gameplay, that kinda evolves as you find more weapons and skills for your little drone buddy and so on. The first mission is also very linear but the game is actually an open world game so you wanna get the feel of exploring the world and finding out all the beautiful music that is tied to each location and so on. Especially the dessert pieces are beautiful beyond belief.

Reactions: Dalisclock

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
That's kind of a misnomer. It's not like you play the game the same way but just the ending changes or you see a new cutscene. You play the game with a different perspective as a different character so while the plot is roughly the same you experience it through a different set of eyes and learn more about what was actually transpiring during the first playthrough, and then the third time around you realize that the other two playthroughs had only gone up to about 50% of the actual story and then the rest half of the game opens up.
Yes, I am aware, like I said, I watched a break down of the philosophical underpinnings of the plot of the game that went into significant details about the different characters and all that. I found it somewhat interesting, but not enough to make me want to play the game. I tried it, didn't like it. Read the plot, didn't find it compelling enough to want to experience it myself.

Neuromancer

Endless Struggle
Legacy
Mar 16, 2012
a homeless squat
Country
None
I'm pretty sure that CP2077 is going to be a milquetoast inoffensive take on the genre, closer to post-cyberpunk techno wank than actually utilizing the genre and setting. It has to be, to have mass market appeal.

So besides the usual oversensitive suspects, calm your tits. You'll get your cool tech and ignore the subtext just like you did with RoboCop.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
I know it's shitty of me, but part of me wants the game to sink so everyone learns, no matter the company, no matter the studio, you never ever pre-order a game. I don't care how good you expect it to be.
If that made people learn, they would already learnt with Aliens: Colonial Marines or No Man's Sky.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
I'm pretty sure that CP2077 is going to be a milquetoast inoffensive take on the genre, closer to post-cyberpunk techno wank than actually utilizing the genre and setting. It has to be, to have mass market appeal.
If anything the problem is that it's just waltzing in as if it's still 1988 and the last thirty odd years of post-cyberpunk didn't happen.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
It's times like this when I realize my decision never to join or follow twitter was a sound one and I have no regrets.

I mean, not like I needed more reasons, but this is yet another one.

Lol. More of an issue if you bother looking at whats trending. Typically I just use it to keep up with bands, or patch releases on some games and stuff.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
yeh

^Apparently mocking games journalism is Transphobia now??
Wow some of those criticisms seem really petty.

is a massive game, which means it's hard for any reviewer, with their limited time playing the game, to accurately state that Cyberpunk 2077 has no meaningful LGBTQ representation. There are occasional appearances of trans flags and a few characters who may or may not be LGBTQ, but the majority of the characters appear to be cisgender and heterosexual.
The majority of characters are cisgender and heterosexual. This is a criticism because...? The majority of people are cisgender and heterosexual. I'm not sure what they really expected?

This isn't a game about being LGBT. I don't think the option to be LGBT or having lots of LGBT characters was ever marketed as a major feature of the game.

At first, many trans players were happy with the idea that gender would not be determined by the character's genitals. However, that possible excitement turned to disbelief when gamers realized their character's gender and pronouns are not determined by genitals, but rather by voice. Only deep-voiced characters can be identified as male, while higher-pitched characters are identified as female, which purports the harmful idea that people's genders can be identified by certain traits.
That one is a bit disappointing though, and really wouldn't have taken very much work to allow any voice to be used with any gender. In a game that allows supposedly vast customization options it seems like something that was more likely overlooked rather than something that was specifically made that way to get any kind of political or social point across though. I suspect this could (and probably will )be changed with a relatively minor patch sometime down the road.