Daily Drop: GameBoy

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
I'd just like to say something after having read this thread and seen almost everyone railing against the destruction of old quality: I love you guys (well, most of you).

Respect the vintage tech.

Jopoho

Nov 17, 2009
mjc0961 said:
So that part at the start where they showed it working after at least the first drop (the screen cover was no longer on the GameBoy)... I guess you didn't watch that part? Because it was clearly a working GameBoy, at least before they crowbar'd it.
Check again. I can't be sure but it looks like the screen was showing a mess of pixels scrolling down as opposed to the word "Nintendo" that it normally shows. The system still made the noise, but perhaps it didn't actually run any software (although I certainly hope that if that was the case that they blew on the cartridges they tested beforehand).

Alternatively, they could have shown a working gameboy and then dropped another non-working one. Thats the wonder of movie magic!

fyrh56

Apr 2, 2008
You hit a gameboy with a crowbar?

Poor crowbar. I'm amazed you didn't snap it in half

IckleMissMayhem

Oct 18, 2009
Jopoho said:
Check again. I can't be sure but it looks like the screen was showing a mess of pixels scrolling down as opposed to the word "Nintendo" that it normally shows. The system still made the noise, but perhaps it didn't actually run any software (although I certainly hope that if that was the case that they blew on the cartridges they tested beforehand).

Alternatively, they could have shown a working gameboy and then dropped another non-working one. Thats the wonder of movie magic!
You get that block of pixels if there's no cartridge inserted. My bet's that it'd still have worked, at least up until it got crowbar'd. Maybe even after that... Anyone from LRR care to weigh in?
Tomtitan said:
^Agreed. I have to ask. Did it still work after the initial drop?
Should have done... I threw my little brothers' out of a 2nd floor window once (what?! he took my copy of Six Golden Coins!) and his still worked... And that was, ooh... waaay too many years ago now.

Knew it's hae to get crowbar'd. But it makes me sad. Very sad.

Aye... they don't make 'em like that anymore... game cartridges used to still work after being through the washing machine too... Thems were the days. Actually, I've still got my GB and all the games. Might have to go have a play later on tonight! :O)

crimson sickle2

Sep 30, 2009
They should have hit it again, it didn't really break very much from where they left it off, but at least this proves that the original Gameboy is indestructible from brute force, unless you use military-grade explosives.

SIXVI06-M

Jan 7, 2011
Dude... that is an antique... destroying one of those is simply heresy D:

I mean... look! it even resisted your attempts!

This makes me miss MY gameboy even more ><

Destroying one of those crappy limited edition pokemon gameboys is fine - but that... you will regret that. The Nintendoghasts will sap the game out of you. And then forever you shall be noob at games.

Emo-Hawk

Jul 9, 2008
Whilst watching this the Robot Chicken sketch where Mario ends up in either Liberty City or Vice City one or the other, was running through my head. Just for the last line that Mario say's "YOU'LL NEVER TAKE ME ALIVE YOU MOTHA FU" This was all I was hearing the Gameboy say as the crow bar was coming down :(

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
Ohhh... poor gameboy, what'd it ever do to you...

One of the few times I didn't want ot see the crowbar coming in...

RatheMcGrath

May 24, 2010
Jopoho said:
mjc0961 said:
So that part at the start where they showed it working after at least the first drop (the screen cover was no longer on the GameBoy)... I guess you didn't watch that part? Because it was clearly a working GameBoy, at least before they crowbar'd it.

All that means is that there wasn't a game cartridge in it... it showed that screen if you turned it on without one.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
The Game Boy: The little gray brick made of pure Indestructium. A game console so badass it survived a direct hit from a bomb and was still playable.

DAILY DROP GUYS used CROWBAR!
It's not very effective...

GAME BOY used TURN ON!
GAME BOY still works!

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
Damn! Those things are built to last! Not even the crowbar was able to inflict serious damage.

I'll admit that I cringed when I saw the Game Boy hit the ground for the first time, and even more so the second time. Strangely enough though, I didn't when the crowbar made contact. I hope the Daily Drop team knows what they are doing in attempting to destroy an artifact such as that, because it looked to have had them beat.

I wonder what the crowbar could've done given another swing at the device. One solid whack on the screen was all it would take!

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
Mydnyght said:
Was that the Gameboy from that LRR sketch "A Stitch in Time" from nearly a year ago?

Also, I guess you gotta EXPECT the crowbar if you know about this:
Now if you'll excuse me, I'm about to quote Men in Black II:
Jay: Didn't your mama give you a Gameboy?
Kay: WHAT IS A GAMEBOY?!?

And what the hell is that item for tomorrow? A tape dispenser?

EDIT: By the way, I'm not the only one who noticed Alex had to use BOTH hands when taking the crowbar to the GameBoy, am I?

I was about to post that video myself, good thing I read the thread first :p

I wouldnt be surprised if the gameboy still works after he crowbared it, Nintendo makes resilient products. My little sister dropped my gamecube down two flights of stairs (by accident) and the sucker still works to this day.

Dont mess with nintendo products! This isnt a game boy you just dont do it!

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
They never made them like this, the creator was either a certified genius or an authentic wackko!

On a side note, my childhood was death, die-cast metal and plastic casing that would crack your skull.