Dark Knight Rises Shooting Leaves 12 Dead

Dr. Crawver

Doesn't know why he has premium
Nov 20, 2009
Able Seacat said:
That's horrible. Did this guy have any motives or was it just a random event?
With like that will come out in the trial, but we'll have to wait I guess...

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
Hornet0404 said:
Tanis said:
Boom.

Godwin's Law has once again been met.

Also I don't think that it's as much Gun Control to keep guns out of the hands of crooks but more to make it easier to lock them up (for possessing illegal firearms).

It is also true that in a "open" society it is impossible to prohibit things, it just creates a black market and encourages more crime. study the war on drugs for a text book case of trying to ban things in an open border nation.

Besides we need guns to overthrow our government :p, our forefathers said so because you know they kicked out an oppressive government that was overtaxing them, restricting their right to arm themselves, and telling them who and where they could meet and what they could talk about etc.

Plus i do not want to even bring up how every dictator pretty much disarmed his people before he took power, and the ego on some of our politicians and the idea of one of them getitng ideas of bigger better things is not out of the question.

I do not think anyone that is pro guns, is arguing that mentally insane people should be armed at all, but we have gun laws in place to regulate things like felons getting guns, mentally ill getting guns, and bottom line on top of that if someone really wants a gun there is a way to get one reguardless.

banning them would simply make them more expensive, and make them very attractive to organized crime, unless someone seriously wants to try and convince me we can shut down every square inch of our border, then you have to convince me the politicians would even do it because some of them like those illegals voting and paying taxes and etc.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
Tanis said:
Picture is a LITTLE old, but the point still stands...
Hitler didn't have to ban guns, the Weimar government that preceded him already had six years prior. Mostly because the Nazis and the Communists kept having running gun battles in the streets.

Tanis said:
If just two or three people in that theater were armed, and went through the proper training...there would probably be a LOT less bodies.
Do you actually know no one in the theatre was armed? It might not have helped necessarily: there was an armed deputy [http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2000/columbine.cd/Pages/DEPUTIES_TEXT.htm] at Columbine High School who exchanged shots with Harris but didn't manage to stop him. This might have also been a situation where the pistol-packing deputy couldn't match a shooter with a rifle. What's your solution for that? Should people be allowed to carry rifles into enclosed public spaces?

Say a half-dozen people in that theatre were carrying concealed weapons, and pulled them out when they heard gunshots. What do you think the chances are they might have targeted one another instead of the actual shooter?

Tanis said:
It's childish to think that 'banning all the guns' will stop criminals, or prevent massacres.
I'm actually not a knee-jerk "ban all guns" person. I'm okay with civilians owning and using guns in certain circumstances. But I'm equally opposed to ridiculous "armed citizens solve all problems" rhetoric.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
cpt blackamar said:
Able Seacat said:
That's horrible. Did this guy have any motives or was it just a random event?
With like that will come out in the trial, but we'll have to wait I guess...
His lawyer is already telling him to blame video games.

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
Really sad news. You'd think you'd be safe going to a fucking cinema of all places without nut jobs like him there :(

Extragorey

Dec 24, 2010
Tanis said:
*waits for the 'those people' to start preaching 'this is why we need to ban guns' crap*
This is why we need to ban guns... ;)
People fight each other one way or another. With guns involved, there's simply a bigger mess.

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
GoddyofAus said:
Tanis said:
*waits for the 'those people' to start preaching 'this is why we need to ban guns' crap*
It's purile and juvenile responses like this that allowed this, Columbine, Virginia Tech and every other massacre to happen in the first place.
No. STOP. Both of you.

This is not the time or place to debate politics. Go start your own thread.

I hope for a full recovery from all currently in the hospital. I feel for the families of those involved.

GoddyofAus

Aug 3, 2010
Baldr said:
STENDEC1 said:
Queue all the conservative Americans who'll claim that this attack is in no way a just cause for tighter gun control. Rather the opposite. After all, if everyone had guns you'd have less shootings wouldn't you?

It's times like these I'm extremely pleased to live in Australia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Arthur_massacre_%28Australia%29

Yeah.
It's ironic you brought that up, because following that massacre, the Government at the time introduced tough new gun laws, and there hasn't been a massacre of its size in Australia since.

Thanks for proving our point for us.

GoddyofAus

Aug 3, 2010
UNHchabo said:
GoddyofAus said:
Tanis said:
It's purile and juvenile responses like this that allowed this, Columbine, Virginia Tech and every other massacre to happen in the first place.
No. STOP. Both of you.

This is not the time or place to debate politics. Go start your own thread.

I hope for a full recovery from all currently in the hospital. I feel for the families of those involved.
No of course not, it's never the time that's the problem. It's much easier for those with the agenda to sweep the issue under the rug under the guise of "prudence for the victims", but I tell you what; the moment those same victims move from grief to anger, you will be hearing a lot more of it.

the doom cannon

Jun 28, 2012
And this is one reason I advocate for the death penalty. I for one don't want my tax dollars to fund a mass murderer's life. As for gun control stuffs, I am always an advocate for less stringent regulation on firearms. However, I do understand that guns don't solve the world's problems. Take this shooting incident from a while back. Supposedly 200 officers and SWAT responded on this incident, and they still had 11 casualties. Moral of the story: don't cut police budget http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Hollywood_shootout

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
GoddyofAus said:
No of course not, it's never the time that's the problem. It's much easier for those with the agenda to sweep the issue under the rug under the guise of "prudence for the victims", but I tell you what; the moment those same victims move from grief to anger, you will be hearing a lot more of it.
Fine. Maybe this is a good time to discuss it. Regardless, THIS THREAD is not the place. Some of us are looking for a factual account of what happened, because it happened less than 12 hours ago.

sideshow

Jan 26, 2012
Stabby Joe said:
This story offends me dearly. Not just as a sane human (that's already a given no doubt), no no. This also offends me as an avid cinema goer, Batman fan and as someone who likes socials. It's sad that all these went out because they wanted a good time with friends and/or family with a common interest and excitement... ruined and then some.
true, true. bad enough Heath Ledger died after the previous one now this. make me sick

DancePuppets

Nov 9, 2009
Tanis said:
It's childish to think that 'banning all the guns' will stop criminals, or prevent massacres.
Seems to work pretty well over here in the UK. Although disarming everyone in the USA would be a nigh-impossible task now unfortunately.

DancePuppets

Nov 9, 2009
the doom cannon said:
And this is one reason I advocate for the death penalty.
I will admit that this sort of thing is one of the reasons I'm against the death penalty. To do this there is clearly something psychologically wrong with the man and I'd rather not punish him because of some faulty wiring in his brain. I accept that he possibly won't fall under "has difficulty functioning" type of insane, but there is something up with the way he thinks. I just think he should be locked up away from everyone else to prevent it happening again and, if at all possible, treated.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
I read about this but am also a bit unsurprised, growing up I wondered why these people never attacked crowded events. My heart goes out to the victims but i felt a bit prepared for this kind of thing.

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
Is this how bad marketing has gotten nowadays? That people can actually confuse a masked gunman killing others for a promotional event of said movie?

I blame EA.

That was partially a joke.

FEichinger

Aug 7, 2011
Well ... Apparently Jessica Redfield, who witnessed the Eaton Centre shooting seven weeks ago, is among the casualties in Aurora ...

Verkula

Oct 3, 2010
Novaova said:
John Funk said:
The casualties included a four-month old baby who was released after being treated.
Who brings a four month-old baby to a midnight premiere of an action movie?
Probably the same kind who brought a baby to a sci-fi somewhathorror when I visited a theater in Manhattan.

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
It's almost ironic to shoot people in a theatre during a Batman movie.

Sick, twisted and simply disgusting, but ironic.