David Jaffe Predicts Next Console Generation Will Be the Last

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
David Jaffe Predicts Next Console Generation Will Be the Last

The God of War and Twisted Metal creator thinks that the $60 game model is broken, and won't last much longer.

It's not just Angry Birds developer, Rovio Mobile, that foresees dark times [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108428-Angry-Birds-Dev-Foresees-Doom-for-Consoles] ahead for console gaming, Eat Sleep Play boss David Jaffe thinks that outlook is pretty bleak as well. Jaffe believes that we're coming to the end of console gaming, and that while there will be a PlayStation 4, there won't be a PlayStation 5.

Jaffe felt that pre-owned sales and piracy were two of the biggest threats to the industry, because they were both taking revenue away from the publishers and developers. He suggested a PS3 game that sold 300,000 copies might sell 850,000 were it not for pre-owned sales. He said that that was not a model that was sustainable forever, and that it was would only be a few more years before the industry started to shy away from trying to make blockbuster games, and instead turned smaller, cheaper alternatives that they didn't require such huge levels of investment.

Jaffe thought that the retail business model, where a game costs $60 or so, was broken for the majority of games, especially when it came to value for money. He said that the game that contained hundreds of hours of gameplay was just as much of a problem as the one that contained just a handful of hours. He felt that there would always be a market for the really big games, like Gears of War and Uncharted, but he was less clear on what people would be playing them on. He said that it might be a streaming service like OnLive or Gaikai that filled that role, or a digital platform like Steam, but he was convinced that after the next console generation, the industry would move on to something else.

The problem here is that Jaffe is saying a lot of different things, which don't go together quite as well he seems to think. He's very likely correct that $60 games won't be around forever, but it doesn't automatically follow that a new business model will kill off consoles. It's not dissimilar to the situation with PC gaming, which has apparently been on its deathbed for years, and yet somehow keeps surviving, adapting and evolving.

Source: IGN [http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/115/1155383p3.html]

DP155ToneZone

Good enough for Petrucci on I&W
Aug 23, 2009
So, we've heard that PC gaming is dying.

Now console gaming is dying.

Are games just fated to die or what?

People really talk out of their arses whenever they infer that "X style" gaming is dying.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
ll know there's only one more console generation left. You know, until the next one.
I think it will come to cloud based gaming and downloadable games, as they negate pre-owned sales. The problem with that is that internet is not available for everyone yet.

LordSphinx

Apr 14, 2009
It's not as if Jaffe knew what he was talking about. Working in the industry doesn't mean knowing the industry. He's just a man-child doing games for himself: power fantasy with over-the-top violence.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
So, within 2 days we get a dark prophecy for PC gaming and one for consoles
I wonder what MovieBob has to say about it.

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
All this talk of consoles, pc's etc. dying is complete shit. They make so much money off games now and it's such a huge market that we won't need to worry about this for a long time. People enjoy console and PC gaming too much for it to ever die off, as if we're all going to want to play our games on a goddamn phone 24/7.

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
By this logic, if Jaffe wants to survive, he'll demand that Twisted Metal cost $30. I wonder if he will.

I think at the moment, Jaffe is just trying to generate press interest around himself. The other day it was art games, today it's consoles. The best way to get yourself noticed is to be aggressive and outspoken, and this way, people start paying more attention to Twisted Metal again.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
He's starting to sound like pachter, full of uneducated nonsense.

LavaLampBamboo said:
By this logic, if Jaffe wants to survive, he'll demand that Twisted Metal cost $30. I wonder if he will.

I think at the moment, Jaffe is just trying to generate press interest around himself. The other day it was art games, today it's consoles. The best way to get yourself noticed is to be aggressive and outspoken, and this way, people start paying more attention to Twisted Metal again.
Lol, I agree with both statements here. Especially the 30 dollar twisted metal.

Veloxe

Oct 5, 2010
Shycte said:
I predict the death of TVs. Radio will reign supreme.
Damn straight! All hail the AM band!

As for if PC gaming is dead, and console gaming is dying, I guess that makes iOS and facebook gaming the future! We're all doomed...

uguito-93

This space for rent
Jul 16, 2009
I think he might be right in that the next generation might be the last but for a different reason. In my opinion raw graphics power is approaching its peak and the next generation will probably be the last to need the major hardware upgrades that each new generation has brought.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
This guy hasn't got a fully loaded clip.

The streaming services are utterly ridiculous. Even as a concept, and especially in terms of practicality.

There'll be consoles after the next generation. And PC gaming sales grew a whole 20% last year. This is just the regular bullshit of everyone wanting to be the next prophet, on a market, where knowing and predicting the-next-hot-thing and consumer behavior is immensely important.

I don't understand why every time there's a huge fuzz when a one-in-a-hundred guy like this one, speculates something spectacular. Bullshit.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
DazBurger said:
With both consoles and PC's gone... What then?
Two competing devices, the CoDBox180 and the WoWStation. Both will only run one game and everyone in the industry will be employed in updating those titles with content.

littlerob

May 11, 2009
On the subject of expensive retail games, he's very likely correct. Why would you buy new at £50, when you can get an indistinguishable version preowned for £30? Companies will charge whatever they can get people to pay, and we're coming to the limits of that these days - the vast majority of people are starting to say no, they won't pay fifty quid for a game when five years ago it was forty, and five more it was thirty.

Sure, there's the argument that when you have budgets of ten million and upwards, you need to recoup those costs - but in the same breath they go on to decry piracy and preowned sales. Basic business sense: higher prices don't always mean higher profits, if nobody wants to pay said prices and there are cheaper alternatives out there.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
You know, I'm just going to say that I would be much more inclined to buy new games if they weren't so expensive.

And what exactly will come after consoles?