DC Comics Rebooting Entire Universe Back to #1

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
katsabas said:
comadorcrack said:
The ultimate series was the best idea Marvel have had in the last decade. Start it all from scratch get new people interesting in comics, so they don't have to go through all the bullshit continuity.
Sure. Right up until they decided to go with incest, make the retard choice of putting The Red Skull be Cap's father and then launch this:

The best idea Marvel had was Civil War. The only difficult continuity to ever get into, when it comes to Marvel, are The X-Men.

But, really? Reboot? Again? Isn't this, like, the 3rd time they pulled this?
All the bad stuff only started happening when they let other writers screw around with stuff.
When it was just Millar, Bendis, and the third guy running things, and directing other writers it was perfect.
Then Marvel editorial stepped in and ruined everything.

thepyrethatburns

Sep 22, 2010
So, at best, this is going to be like if Marvel had truly committed to the Ultimates and had dropped the 616 universe.

At worst, this is going to be like Heroes Reborn.

For me, nothing will change. I dropped superhero comics (except for the What Ifs) a while ago. I did so not because I had issues with the continuity or because I despise superheroes but because they are written so poorly. Yes, there is the occasional storyline which is really good but those have been the exception to the rule for years now.

(As a sidenote, DC was going to give several of the new Lanterns such as Red and Orange their own book. Is this plan down the toilet now?)

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this is just going to be a promotional stunt which won't address the problem of really poor writing.

wikiman

Oct 5, 2010
No there is still Red Lantern ongoing in plans, because despite renumbering GL will stay unchanged. It has diplomatic immunity, because of new movie i guess.

linkzeldi

Jun 30, 2010
I'm going to try really hard to get into DC comics with this event,but you have to meet me half-way here guys. DC, no more of that crap where you try to make this huge event, then back off halway through then retcon it away.

Other than that, anybody here have a full list of the titles being rebooted? Otherwise I'm just going to play it safe and pick up batman and Justice League.

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
Yay! It's 1985 again. Who wants to play some Ms. Pac-Man and listen to the Go-go's while we're at it?

The Random One

May 29, 2008
It's about damn time. Though Marvel tried a similar thing in the early o's and it went nowhere. Of course they treated the new Marvel guys as a new canon as opposed to the new canon, so who knows?

diddykonger

Jan 14, 2009
Is it me, or are these DC reboots happening every other year now? , cause if so they're getting tiresome. DC if you want the respect of your readers stop it with these "super-important" story arcs they're getting lame. Didn't we take care of this back with Final Crisis, or was it Infinite Crisis??? I can't tell anymore with all these reboots happening so often.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
linkzeldi said:
I'm going to try really hard to get into DC comics with this event,but you have to meet me half-way here guys. DC, no more of that crap where you try to make this huge event, then back off halway through then retcon it away.

Other than that, anybody here have a full list of the titles being rebooted? Otherwise I'm just going to play it safe and pick up batman and Justice League.
No full list yet but...

"Included in the 52 series will be:

* A new title starring Superman written by Grant Morrison.

* Birds of Prey #1 - This new ongoing series will not feature the work of longtime "BoP" writer Gail Simone. In fact, many tried and true approaches to books will be getting a second look at DC in September.

* Teen Titans #1 - The new start for the teen team will be written by "Red Robin" scribe Fabian Nicieza.

* Justice Society of America #1 - Only one of a number of current titles that will welcome a creative team shift, the future of the original superhero team will apparently not involve current writer Marc Guggenheim.

* Wonder Woman #1 - Don't expect the recent changes from writer J. Michael Straczynski to stick when the Amazing Amazon sees another new #1 hit.

* Green Lantern #1 - Even with a new #1, Green Lantern remains in Johns' hands, and readers can expect the effects of major crossovers like "Blackest Night" to stay in place moving forward.

* Hawkman #1 - While fans have known a "Hawkman" series by James Robinson has been in the works since the writer mentioned it on a panel at New York Comic Con, Johnston has been reporting the rumor that the book will be drawn by "Batman & Robin" and "Outsiders" artist Philip Tan.

* Aquaman #1 - No surprises here. The already announced series featuring the sea king by Johns and Ivan Reis will be part of the relaunch wave."

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=32566

I'm probably going to pick up Superman and Aquaman. The first because Grant Morrison wrote All Star Superman (best Superhero comic of the last decade) and the second because if anyone can make Aquaman work it's Johns.

No idea who's doing batman but thank god GM's doing other things. The man's too batshit crazy for bats.

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
"Yay, a new generation of kids with money has sprung up to buy our comics and so we can reboot and reuse the same storylines with new graphics!"

What is this disease DC has that causes them to reboot continuity every decade or so?

Kavonde

Usually Neutral Good
Feb 8, 2010
Honestly, the retcon is minor news. It'll be repealed within a year, two tops. The REAL story is that DC has just driven the final nail into the coffin of dedicated comic book stores.

Just watch. When DC's digital sales take off (and I suspect they will), Marvel will follow suit. The Friendly Neighborhood Comic Shop is doomed.

Zombus

Apr 29, 2009
Did anyone else notice that the green lantern's minigun is emanating from his groin? He also seems to be mid pelvic thrust; maybe the reboot includes a new place for the green lantern's ring to be worn? Just sayin'.

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
Definitely easier for the new readers and those that have fallen out with the comics in the last few decades. The truly hardcore will read it no matter what, let's be honest. As for me, I like the idea of the DC universe basically coming together as a big crunch and then rebooting as a big bang of new continuity- might be annoying for the more learned DC scholars (so to speak) but it kind of reflects our own universe in many ways.

Druyn

May 6, 2010
Podunk said:
I was going to ***** about how this whole reboot and younger cast thing didn't work that well with Marvel's Ultimates line, but you know what? Fuck it. It's not like they're getting rid of anything good. The big two haven't put out a decent storyline since Secret Wars, and there's no reason this will be any worse than the current offerings. If it works out alright maybe I'll buy DC comics some more.
Really? Not a fan of the Brubaker-Cap run, or Civil War?

whaleswiththumbs

Feb 13, 2009
BloodSquirrel said:
So... is this going to be a *real* reboot, or can we expect Earth-1 Earth-2 type nonsense in 5 years?
I think that will depend on if they have a lot of backlash from it. If there is, yes. If there is significant, yes. If there is minor, probably. If there is none, they will redo the surveys because something was obviously wrong.

OT
I see /no/ difference. Like at all. Whatever minute difference there could be, I am sure could be done just because it was a different artist than before(Not saying it is, I don't pay much attention to that) But... I don't know

Maybe this is a lead up to them trying to movie franchise up, better.. "Erase" the old, so that you can make it more movie-friendly?

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
So in other words, sales are down, the current crop of writers are fed up with trying to shoehorn new storylines into the existing mess of a continuity, and they're too chickenshit to try to attract readers to actual new characters. Does that about sum it up...?

cornmancer

Dec 7, 2009
Well that's good. I've been wanting to get into comics, but have just been sticking to Vertigo series and other not superhero things for simplicity.

aashell13

Jan 31, 2011
Can we just take this as an opportunity to admit that the comic book world threw the whole idea of continuity out the airlock years ago?