DC Says One Of Its"Iconic" Heroes Is Gay

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
^Green Arrow is all over Black Canary

Then again, men who have been married with children have come out too, so that all means nothing.

But let's be serious, they aren't going to mess with Batman or Superman, no way, no how.

"he is considered an "iconic" level character"

That can mean a LOT of people actually, Shazam or whoever the current Dr. Fate is even.

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
In the first issue of new 52 catwoman her an bats have some hot sex so no Batman my bets is captain marvel since its an as yet introduced hero.an for the record someone wanting there favorite super to stay straight is no different than someone else wanting there's to be gay they are not homophobic for this. Would you call someone straightphobic for wanting a Typically straight hero to be gay. No why people are such hypocrites on the political correctness thing ill never get.everyone has this right straight or not straight alike.

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
I wonder if they have a broader view of who is iconic than we do. The shortlist here is only a handful, but there are plenty more characters that could be said to be iconic. I can't imagine it would be any of the biggest names, it's too much of a fanbase to risk. The Flash is more likely, or someone sidekick-like.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Alright, here is a thought if nobody has tried this yet. Let's approach it from a matter of process of elimination. As this is a publicity stunt, an "Iconic" character is going to have to be someone that most people will have heard of, rather than someone known mostly to serious comic book readers. Basically someone like Doctor Fate is unlikely because your average person is liable to have absolutly no idea who the heck Doctor Fate is for it to have any meaning. Nor is it someone that the gay community could really get much cred for being able to tout, since few people (including the gays themselves) will probably have heard of it.

For the sake of simplicity I think we can eliminate Green Arrow, Superman, and Batman right off the bat. The reason is that I don't think DC could retcon those characters as gay if it wanted to. Those rights have all been sold to multiple parties. We have Batman movies planned up the wazoo (apparently the next movie series after the Nolanverse concludes has been being planned), Superman is apparently up for another movie attempt and allegedly another TV series as Smallville concluded, and apparently there is a Green Arrow TV series on the way since the character was fairly popular in Smallville. Even if some of this doesn't materalize it's all been being planned out for years, and represents tons of potential money. While the whole "the hero is now gay" thing will genrate publicity, it could play havoc with these plans, and create problems with the guys who hold the rights. After all if they are writing a whole series of TV shows about Green Arrow, playing him up for the ladies (I guess part of it was girls liked the character in Smallville, even if this is probably going to be a differant version) and spending tons of money getting it ready, suddenly outing him as gay and having all these comic shop posters of him smootching guys or however they plan to promote it could play some serious havoc. I could even see lawsuits over that kind of thing... and it would be a big mess. The same applies to all three of those. Basically if DC has been shopping the rights around out there, or already sold them, and you've been hearing serious discussion of new IPs around the character, DC isn't going to do this with that character.

Heroes I'm pretty sure DC doesn't have any rights to in current circulation for TV, movies, etc... are The Flash, Aquaman (he was in Smallville, but the plans for a TV show apparently didn't pan out, and I don't think anyone holds that option or had plans), Cyborg, Martian Manhunter, and some of the lesser Green Lanterns are all potentially up for grabs. I'm pretty sure that despite the horrible performance of the Green Lantern movie, the rights are still being held since I believe they grabbed it for multiple movies, anticipating it being the next big thing. So if they have a gay green lantern, it's not likely to be "The" Green Lantern (Hal Jordan).

At any rate, following this chain of logic, who else can people eliminate based on how this could affect IP deals DC is already involved in? It's especially relevent is a project was under works or the rights had been sold/brokered long before DC's annoucement.

Whether you think it's bigoted, and wrong or not, in your mind if a character being gay could say affect a box office performance and get a company like Warner Brothers pissed off enough to try and go after DC for money, chances are it's not happening.

Ottrygg

Jan 26, 2012
I doubt it will be batman, 3 main reasons:

1) if he was gay for robin it would make him a pedophile, DC wanna shake things up a bit, but thats taking it too far... also the current robin is his son i believe, so it would be even worse.

2) Selina Kyle

3) Talia Al-Ghul

Me and my mate have had a think on it our hottest candidate is Wally West, since he is only one of the flashes to have made next to no appearance since the new 52 reboot. He has a wife and kids but that would just make for a potentially awesome story-line (if handled correctly of course). The moral dilemma of his "coming out" would be really interesting to read as he struggled with letting his family down and worrying about how his friends in say the JSA would think of him for letting them down. It almost wouldn't be about him being gay as the same thing would happen had he fallen in love with a woman, so wouldn't be doing much to either negatively or positively portraying gays (thus not deliberately pissing people off).

Either that or Capt. Marvel goes through puberty and realizes that he still thinks girls are gross :p

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
John Funk said:
I just hope it isn't Aquaman. Making the "joke" superhero gay would feel like a pretty sleazy thing to do.
iirc, before the reboot, Aquaman was married.

If they did this, rest assured, there would be soooooooo much fanrage.

marche45

Nov 16, 2008
John Funk said:
I just hope it isn't Aquaman. Making the "joke" superhero gay would feel like a pretty sleazy thing to do.
Why do people think Aquaman is a joke character,because he talks to fish?
Its not like he is completely useless outside of water.

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
I don't really follow comic books (I've tried but I just don't have the money for that particular black hole) but if I had to guess probably Green Lantern. Making Wonder Woman gay is a fruit hanging so low it's practically hit the ground, and unless they make Aquaman no longer DC's joke character making him gay would be pretty low.

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
Just read an article (in the newspaper, so no link) that the re-imagined "coming out" hero hasn't been seen since the New 52 started. This leaves four "iconic" superheroes: The Spectre, Plastic Man, Powergirl, and The Question (II). Since the "he" pronoun has come up, that leaves only The Spectre and Plastic Man. My money's on the stretchy one.

The idea of a lesbian Powergirl seems tons better. Oh well, you play the hand you are dealt.

I'm a middle-aged adult and haven't read any comics since my mid twenties. The article also said that Colossus is gay?!?! Poor Kitty. What will Lockheed think? (Yes. It has been a while.)

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
This just sounds like they're trying to cash in on how homosexuality is no longer a bad thing. And when something goes from bad to fine, then using that in your media is considered amazing. If this character has been around for 50 years, and this isn't one of the alternate continuities, then it just seems silly to me. Why does the sexuality of a superhero, of all things, need to be brought up? They have above human powers, and people care about what gender they want to fuck? Plenty of them aren't even human.
This seems so juvenile to me. It holds no artistic purpose or otherwise; all it is, is DC going 'Hey, gays! Look! This character's gay now! Aren't we so in with the times and non discriminatory, and doesn't it just make you want to buy our new 52 comics?'.

honestdiscussioner

Jul 17, 2010
I am calling Martian Manhunter, but that's based almost entirely off my experience with Justice League (cartoon).

Superman = Lois Lane, Green Arrow = Black Canary, Batman = various, and for a time, Wonder Woman, Flash = any woman that moves, Jean = . . . ???

The only time he was with someone was with an old lady as he tried to connect to humanity. Wasn't with her for the sex most likely.

I know, there's a shit ton of other stuff in the comics out there so I could easily be wrong. Still, that's my call.

Shia-Neko-Chan

Apr 23, 2008
I will say that when it comes to superheroes, one of the hugest things about them is that you want to be them.

Usually, you want to be your favorite superhero, because that person is so incredibly cool to you, but when you're a heterosexual, it's usually incredibly harder to want to be someone you know is gay.

Which would be fine if this were a new superhero that just happened to be gay, but when you do this to an already existing superhero, you're taking that aspect away from his already existing fans.

It doesn't matter if it's official. George Lucas already showed us that if you do something like this to someone or something a large group of people admire, it will cause an uproar and I can already see it happening. :/

Calibanbutcher

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2009
I just want to say, that there is no way it's gonna be batman.
Seriously, what light would that shed on him having lived with a teenage-boy for, um, 75ish years?

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
I'm putting money on either Nightwing or Red Robin. I know it says "iconic" but Dick Grayson and Tim Drake are pretty well-known in the DC Universe.

jizzytissue

Feb 16, 2012
if it's not a girl guess which company is going out of buissness lol srsly thou if it is a ****** i'll be sure to throw up everywhere :D

ReiverCorrupter

Jun 4, 2010
huser said:
ReiverCorrupter said:
Uggh, strangely another example of a weirdly pervasive trope derived from a single showing flavoring everything that comes after. IE Dark Knight Returns.

If we were to lay it out, the first DC character that would pop into your mind with the word "arrogant" PROBABLY wouldn't be Big Blue. You know, the guy that happily plays a bumbling fool to safeguard the people he loves. I'm gonna throw out there that guessing Batman however would win you Family Feud. You know what with his plans to kill his fellow good guys constantly getting stolen by bad guys.

Everyone gets stupid around Batman now because all those teenagers that read DKR have grown up now to be the writers. One of the few exceptions being Morrison, but he made Aquaman cool so maybe coolness need not be a zero sum game or a pissing contest like most other writers make it. I say this for the obvious notion that the big thing about DKR regarding the World's Finest was that Superman was stumped by Batman's various gambits. It's really too bad Superman to that point in their lives hadn't faced down motivated, super rich and super intelligent humans that wanted nothing more to humble him (if not murder his ass) for like literally decades...oh wait.

The fact Superman had to have his "I created a crosstime/cross dimension computer" level intellect eliminated to carve out a niche for Batman is telling. The same character (albeit different iteration) who in CoIE was relegated to basically PRAYING for the day to be saved. Funny how things change I guess.
Erm... okay... pedantic allusions to comic book series I've never read aside... what I find arrogant about superman is more of his style of fighting than his motivations. He tends to rely upon brute strength more than anything else (though perhaps that was only the improper non-canon version of superman portrayed in the cartoons I used to watch as a kid). So what I was referring to was his assumption that Batman couldn't do anything to him. Granted he does do clever things on occasion, but he just seems overpowered and far too aware of the fact. In the more mainstream portrayals of Superman that I'm familiar with, he tends to constantly get himself in trouble by rushing in head first without thinking. But maybe those are the vulgar versions of Superman made to appeal to the unsophisticated rabble.

His motivations are admittedly pretty humble considering that he probably has the power to change society and he generally just devotes himself to preserving justice and peace. (Though I'm admittedly ignorant of the vast majority of his background outside of the 90's cartoon series and movies, and I'll give you that he did have more of a positive role when he acted as an objective means to get rid of the world's ICBMs in Superman III).

To be honest, I generally rooted for Lex Luther as a kid, I saw him as the social outcast trying to change society through his own intellect, whereas Superman represented the brute strength of main stream society and the herd instinct crushing abnormality. Though, admittedly Superman is also an outcast in a different and less subtle sense (i.e. he's an alien), and Luther could be taken to represent the wealthy corrupt elite that runs society. If you're going to argue that there's a canon version of Superman, and that I'm just mistaken, then sure. In that case we're really just talking about two different things.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
Gorilla Gunk said:
Come one, we all know it's going to be Aquaman.
My brother is hoping this as well. I don't really care considering I don't read the comics at all.