DC Sends Clark Kent And Lois Lane To Divorce Court

Rayne870

Nov 28, 2010
So does she get half his super powers, and how are they going to split his fortress? I guess they could sell it or make it a time share.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
I'm not a big fan of comic books and I've only got into them mostly because of the movies, I regret to say. I am mildly informed about all these 'alternate storylines' from comic books and BOY, AM I GLAD I'M NOT INTO THEM!

Sorry but they just seem extremely convoluted and pointless! Every single hero out there hast at least three alternate lives/stories. None of them add up so you really don't know which one to take seriously.

Yes, comic books are supposed to be filled with magic and stuff out of this world. But enough is enough! I just watch Bob's "going Green" videos and, even though I'm not a big Green Lantern fan, I was offended by all the alternate plots that are being created to extend a hero's popularity.

Why can't they just leave things alone? I know they want money but surely there are other ways to gain a monetary profit out of a series. Relationships in these stories are really important, more important that enemies or cameos. When you think of Spidey, you think of MJ BUT NOT ANYMORE! So now when I think of Superman, Lois Lane will have nothing to do with it, if they decide to take Spidey's road.

Messing with a character who's as long as time. I seriously hope they lose a lot of money and fans for doing this. These guys need to be slapped a little so they understand to stop coming up with these useless, convoluted stories. To me, Superman will always equal Lois Lane just like Spidey equals MJ. No one can tell me otherwise.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
I'm not a big fan of comic books and I've only got into them mostly because of the movies, I regret to say. I am mildly informed about all these 'alternate storylines' from comic books and BOY, AM I GLAD I'M NOT INTO THEM!

Sorry but they just seem extremely convoluted and pointless! Every single hero out there hast at least three alternate lives/stories. None of them add up so you really don't know which one to take seriously.

Yes, comic books are supposed to be filled with magic and stuff out of this world. But enough is enough! I just watch Bob's "going Green" videos and, even though I'm not a big Green Lantern fan, I was offended by all the alternate plots that are being created to extend a hero's popularity.

Why can't they just leave things alone? I know they want money but surely there are other ways to gain a monetary profit out of a series. Relationships in these stories are really important, more important that enemies or cameos. When you think of Spidey, you think of MJ BUT NOT ANYMORE! So now when I think of Superman, Lois Lane will have nothing to do with it, if they decide to take Spidey's road.

Messing with a character who's as long as time. I seriously hope they lose a lot of money and fans for doing this. These guys need to be slapped a little so they understand to stop coming up with these useless, convoluted stories. To me, Superman will always equal Lois Lane just like Spidey equals MJ. No one can tell me otherwise.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
Quiet Stranger said:
This might be leading up to the DC Universe retcon which I hope they don't do cause I love Hal Jordan and ALL the other green lanterns!
You'll be happy to know that other than a shifting around of main characters in books (Hal in the main title, Guy & John in GLC and Kyle headlining a multi-corp book), the Green Lantern area of the DCU looks to be unchanged.

SpaceMedarotterX

Jun 24, 2010
I just ask one question. Why?

Why do writers want Superman and Wonder Woman to be together? They have zero chemistry, they treat one another no different than they treat any other superhero, they flat out just don't care about one another, and Cross-Book Romances NEVER work.

You can give me bullshit about how "She's the female Superman, a woman endowed with superstrength and flight" to which I respond, That's fucking stupid since Wonder Womans powers are based on MAGIC, while Supermans are biological! Wonder Woman cares about Supes, but she cares about everyone. She's the MOTHER figure, of course she gives a shit if a hero is hurting.

Not to mention what does it amount to? Not only do these romances never last but it's just another thing that will later fade into the Aether. Romances that mean something, like Donna Troy and Kyle Rayner, or Dick Grayson and Barbara Gordon, the ones that had a lasting effect on the character? those are important! Wonder Woman and Superman is yet another excuse to have Superman boink the fuck out of a woman that shares nothing with him.

This above all else is what annoys me about the reboot, their are things I love and things I hate, this definitly falls into the "For fucks sake" category, along side Rob Liefeld drawing Hawk and Dove.

ROB LIEFELD. DRAWING. IN 2011.

You can go give me a spiel in "It's comic books, we have to maintain the status quo"

Barry Allen and Iris West have not broken up since they married, their was that period where he died for 20 years but even then she didn't run off somewhere else. Jay Garrick and his wife have been married LONGER as have Wally West and Linda Parker (due to them being alive) This constant pussyfooting around the subject of marriage and love just sickens me. Superman commiting to Lois was fine, it didn't even really change the dynamic, Supes still loved her and looked out for her, and Lois acted the exact same way she always did. The fact that it added tension with General Lane and Lois Sister (Now currently Superwoman and a villain) just drives how idiotic this move is.

Hey DC? You want to 'Revitalize the concept of superman' WELL MAYBE YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE BLOWN UP NEW KRYPTON!

Dash-X

Aug 17, 2009
I'd actually like to see how Superman WOULD handle a divorce... THAT would be interesting.

RolandOfGilead

Dec 17, 2010
Perhaps because I watched Justice League cartoons instead of reading the comics, I hate the Superman/Wonderwoman idea. Batman x WW is where it's at!

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Dash-X said:
I'd actually like to see how Superman WOULD handle a divorce... THAT would be interesting.
Lois would carry around a Kryptonite restraining order. 'Nuff said.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Lieju said:
paragon1 said:
Maybe they'll surprise us all and have Wonder Woman and Lois Lane get together instead?
I could get behind that.

Seriously, though. I'm not that familiar with Wonder woman, but has it or ever had any lesbian subtext or straight-out lesbian characters? I mean, there was a nation with no men in it, wasn't there? And sort of instances of bondage?
That's probably the biggest "sorta" in the entirety of DC Comics. Wonder Woman has existed for 70 years with a backstory of coming from an island populated exclusively by OTHER ageless, physically-perfected, statuesque women who have either disregard or disdain for men... and for ALL 70 of those years DC has been going "um... well... maybe... kinda... hey, look over there, she's fighting a Kraken! Are you distracted yet?" about it.

The original run of books from the WWII-era are as upfront as "kids literature" could POSSIBLY be about The Amazons having no use for men and that their favorite methods of "training" were wrestling (they're Ancient Greeks, after all) and variations on bondage-and-escape "games." No one ever said "lesbian" or "gay," but then no one ever had or mentioned sex of ANY kind in 40s comics.

From about the mid-80s "Post-Crisis" revamp of the series on, DC has treated the notion of homosexuality being accepted and widespread among The Amazons pretty matter-of-factly - save that, of course, you'd almost NEVER hear the actual words "gay" or "lesbian" spoken aloud or see any displays of physical affection until very recently ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Themyscira#Courting_ritual ) and it was often kinda wink-wink-nudge-nudged that Amazons simply had "lifelong best friends" instead of husbands.

These days, it's all pretty-much "out in the open," except (of course) for main characters - Gail Simone intended to have WW's mother, the Amazon Queen, marry a woman (as said, not a big deal where they're from) but DC editorial nixed the idea. Wonder Woman herself, meanwhile, has NEVER been shown in a romantic/sexual relationship with a woman; though A LOT (most, really) of the more prominent writers on the series over the years have said that they considered her to be bisexual and wrote with that in mind even if they weren't able/allowed to "confirm" it.

One of the big "rumors" of the so-called reboot is that the "new" Wonder Woman will be openly bisexual, but I'm not buying it: DC has been chickening-out of that story for decades, and I seriously doubt they'd want the innevitable three-way-firestorm of controversy ("you're implying that all strong, independent women have to be gay!" "Well, what's WRONG with a strong, independent female hero being gay!?" "This is LIBERAL PROPAGANDA corrupting our children!!!") get in the way of the big "hey, you can get this on your iPad now!" rollout that this whole reboot is supposed to be pimping.

Cain_Zeros

Nov 13, 2009
Isn't it a total continuity reboot? They're probably going to end up having them get married again at some point.

Mr Dizazta

Mar 23, 2011
I have a solution. Kill off Superman and start having Lois get closer and closer to Bruce. Bring back Superman in a year or so, and have Lois conflict feelings over Superman or Batman. Oh wait, that idea sucks. For all we know, DC will make some convoluted plot involving some great evil or such and such.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
MovieBob said:
Lieju said:
paragon1 said:
Maybe they'll surprise us all and have Wonder Woman and Lois Lane get together instead?
I could get behind that.

Seriously, though. I'm not that familiar with Wonder woman, but has it or ever had any lesbian subtext or straight-out lesbian characters? I mean, there was a nation with no men in it, wasn't there? And sort of instances of bondage?
These days, it's all pretty-much "out in the open," except (of course) for main characters - Gail Simone intended to have WW's mother, the Amazon Queen, marry a woman (as said, not a big deal where they're from) but DC editorial nixed the idea. Wonder Woman herself, meanwhile, has NEVER been shown in a romantic/sexual relationship with a woman; though A LOT (most, really) of the more prominent writers on the series over the years have said that they considered her to be bisexual and wrote with that in mind even if they weren't able/allowed to "confirm" it.

One of the big "rumors" of the so-called reboot is that the "new" Wonder Woman will be openly bisexual, but I'm not buying it: DC has been chickening-out of that story for decades, and I seriously doubt they'd want the innevitable three-way-firestorm of controversy ("you're implying that all strong, independent women have to be gay!" "Well, what's WRONG with a strong, independent female hero being gay!?" "This is LIBERAL PROPAGANDA corrupting our children!!!") get in the way of the big "hey, you can get this on your iPad now!" rollout that this whole reboot is supposed to be pimping.
Yeah, I can see why they would want to avoid that kind of stuff. Which is a shame, because that kind of society and the completely different notions they would have about sexuality and what normal and "natural" would be totally different.

Although this kind of topic and that kind of a way of handling it in scifi/fantasy isn't exactly rare, as in, inverting the situation so that what to our society is normal is weird in theirs, to get a new perspective on these things and what it would feel like being in a minority and to the reasons people have certain reactions to certain practises or preferences.

But while I think it would be really interesting depicting the Amazon society as a one where heterosexuality would be considered creepy and/or wrong, and the personal and societal story arcs we could get out of it, I just can predict all the horrible reactions from all over the ideological spectrum it would invoke ("Decicting a society full of gays is wrong and horrible", "Are you saying lesbians are like that just because they hate men?" "Why would you depict lesbians in such a negative/positive light?". And even the thought of that just depresses me.

And it would necessarily involve the discussion/themes of to what extent sexuality is something we are just born with and to what caused by the environment and the way we are brought up. Which is an interesting topic, but it's ALWAYS so closely involved to the political and ideological baggage, that any real discussion is impossible, and, again, it just turns depressing.

In-topic, this all reboot-stuff in DC-verse just confuses me, and I doubt it's going to get me involved to the American comics anymore than I currently am.
Well, I have my European and Japanese stuff.

aaronmcc

Oct 18, 2008
I feel sorry for anyone who reads DC comics. This reboot absolutely stinks of greed. You want to explore every facet of their relationship? What in the name of fuck have you been doing for the last few decades? You should all be fucking ashamed of yourselves. Thank god Marvel aren't stupid enough to pull a stunt like this. Jim Lee, what the fuck are you doing man?

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
I do hope they keep Clark intact through all this. I'm not a huge comic book fan so I'm sure I'm missing some heroes but from all the characters alter-egos Clark is about the only one who's seems a genuine 'normal' nice guy.

- He isn't a billionaire or playboy.
- He's married and loyal.
- He's helpful and friendly.

He's a nice 'normal' guy. Whatever his relationship with Lois, I do hope that stays.

Pyramid Head

Jun 19, 2011
Maybe Lois just got sick of the fact that Superman was faster than a speeding bullet and decided to ask for a divorce before her frustrated libido drove her to the arms of Batman.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
I really couldn't care either way. I always saw Lois like most non-Hero/Villain characters in these comics, a person who doesn't do much but get kidnapped to be used as a hostage.

Gah, the movies really cemented how much of a damsel in distress she was.

wildcard9

Aug 31, 2008
You know, they are rebooting the story, so maybe they're reestablishing his character before he fell for Lois. Maybe now, they'll look into Supers and Lana.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Wait, I'm confused. Didn't Superman and Wonder Woman already hook up? Or was that something that was written off? I'm by no means a huge fan of the comics, picking up and reading the occasional one here and there, if it strikes my eye, and reading a few bits here and there from the 'net, but I swear I've read Supes and Wonder Woman hooking up.