Dead island reveal trailer, piece of art or too far?

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Akalabeth said:
Notice that no child in the trailer actually dies.

I suspect that's part of the reason why it was put into reverse. You don't actually see the kid thrown out the window, nor hit the ground (nor the resulting flattened face from hitting the ground). The child doesn't even get bitten in the trailer.

It was well done. But it doesn't make me interested in the game.
You actually do see the kid getting bitten in the trailer (around the 1:45 mark) - even if it going backwards, it's quite that's whats happening there. Regardless of the fact that the trailers is mostly played in reverse, it does start off with the lifeless body of a child lying on the ground and from what happens next in the trailer, it won't take a genius to work out that the girl has been killed after falling from a fair height.

It works as a smart trailer if you ask me, though I can see some alarmist group easily running with something like this if they didn't have any other gaming targets to pick on of an afternoon...

As an aside, it's a little odd that there are people out there (that I've spoken to) that genuinely think a "zombie apocalypse" would be a great thing and that they'd have a really good time. Clearly people like that really haven't thought about it properly at all.

Jonesy911

Jul 6, 2009
Akalabeth said:
Jonesy911 said:
Akalabeth said:
Notice that no child in the trailer actually dies.

I suspect that's part of the reason why it was put into reverse. You don't actually see the kid thrown out the window, nor hit the ground (nor the resulting flattened face from hitting the ground). The child doesn't even get bitten in the trailer.

It was well done. But it doesn't make me interested in the game.
I'm pretty sure eveything you just listed actually is in the trailer, just shown backwards.
Exactly. It's shown backwards.
You don't see the kid thrown OUT the window, you see the kid come back into the window.
You don't see her hit the ground, you see her lift up off the ground and come back to life.
You don't even see her get bit by zombies. You see her with a bloody neck, and then at the end her neck is for no real reason fine (EDIT - oops, it was the other side of her neck that got bit). When is there a zombie with its teeth around her neck and she's got her mouth open screaming? Never.

And even when the kid is thrown out the window, the Dad isn't shown elbowing her in the face. He's just spinning around and lifts her arms up off his chest.

There's no violence against children in this trailer AT ALL.
Hmmm I kinda see what you meant now but how can you say "There's no violence against children in this trailer AT ALL". Just because violence is played backwards doesn't mean it's not violence. In this trailer a small girl is killed, zombified and thrown out of a window, playing it in reverse doesn't make it any less gratuitous.

Also at 1:46 in the trailer the zombie takes a massive bite out of her leg, your point is officially invalid

Sn1P3r M98

May 30, 2010
I thought the trailer was very well made. I liked how it accurately portrayed a zombie apocalypse in the sense that children aren't left out of the fray.

Monkey King

Mar 29, 2010
I honestly like this trailer a lot; too bad George Romero couldn't have gotten this level of emotion out of "Survival of the Dead" ;). They really captured the horror of that situation. I mean look at the mother's face when the little girl attacks daddy, or daddy fights his way through the horde to try and save his daughter. If the game has as much punch as this trailer, then it's going to be the game of the year.

And if tossing your daughter out the window is part of it, the most controversial!

Oh, Has anyone seen the "rewound"version?

Nexoram

Aug 6, 2010
Lets just say that it's not a piece of art OR too violent/over the top. It's just a trailer, albeit a very well made one.

SyphonX

Coffee Bandit
Mar 22, 2009
What's too far about it?

You know what goes too far? Real violence. Real war. Real death.

I have a sneaking suspicion that people who find fake videogame trailers "disturbing", are in reality, neo-con Christian types who support real suffering through war, etc. Who have serious reverse-psychological trauma they need to fix.

Just my off-the-wall opinion anyway, don't mind me, just passing through.

pyramid head grape

[Game-Over]
Feb 4, 2011
I remember seeing a video for dead island like a year or so ago and said to myself "I am going to buy this the first day its out" then I just forgot all about it thinking it got the sack.

Then I find this thread and my eyes lit up back to waiting for now though.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
It was emotional?

I really didnt feel anything for it.

People, THEYER JUST PIXELS. They arnt real. They dont exist. If you feel emotional for something that never existed, you should probably see a shrink.

I mean, i watched Titanic, and i felt alittle sad. Sure everyone was just an actor, but its the fact it was based on real events that give emotion.

But people are feeling sad for fictional character, in a fictional world, full of fictional badies? Come on! Toughen up alittle.

I liked the trailer. Infact, i might of even loved it. Possibly one of the trailers of the year. Its rarae that a trailer will make me say, "When can i reserve this game?!!?". But theres nothing wrong with it. So what theres a dying child? Children die. Familys die. Shit happens xD Get over it! This isnt a disney movie!

Truehare

Nov 2, 2009
icame said:
I honestly don't see why killing a child is worse then killing an adult...it just confuses me.
I know you're talking about fiction, but I'm not any less creeped out by what you said... :)

OT: Finally a zombie apocalypse happening on Earth, not on some strange Earth-like planet where everybody is a grown-up. Knowing there are children suffering the same horrible fate as everyone else makes it about a billion times scarier. And let's face it, the whole "zombie" subgenre has been in bad need of some scariness for quite some time now.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
I thought this was an incredibly well done trailer and I had nothing but admiration for it.
CCE+2

Kelethor

Jun 24, 2008
Bobbity said:
I'm not a huge fan of horror, although I've played the odd game, but that trailer kinda disturbed me. It's very, very effective, but what they did with the little girl went a more than a little bit far for my tastes. Then again, it produced the kind of feeling I haven't felt in the horror genre for a long time, so maybe that's a good thing...

/edit
Also, seeing as no one's actually linked the trailer yet...

That was beautiful man...

My my...That's...that was something else. music, the facial expressions...everything just sorta worked so perfectly. I also don't think iv ever seen Zombies handled at such a personal level...except maybe in Dead rising 2, but that was handled at a much more...comedic level. this was really one of the best trailer's I think iv seen in a while.

Sun Flash

Fus Roh Dizzle
Apr 15, 2009
More Fun To Compute said:
Sun Flash said:
I don't know but I don't connect with the trailer in a "Oh god, what if it was my kids" kind of way. Same with Dead Rising 2 when giving Katy her shots.
I find that an interesting point. I read an interview with Peter Molyneux once about how when he was making the game Syndicate which had a strong theme of innocents being caught in the crossfire he tried to gauge how players felt about the violence. They didn't have any problem with civilians dying which he sort of expected but what was surprising to him was that they didn't care about the prams. Oddly enough they did care about killing pet dogs. I think that both prams and dogs were removed from the final versions. And the guy is still working with themes like making players care about dogs and kids in games.
I think I might have to rephrase that. I didnt react in the "Oh god, what if it was my kids" way in the same way I don't react to killing adult zombies as a "Oh god, what I'd that was my mum/dad/friend" kind of way. Don't get me wrong the death of the little girl is a kickker, but a kicker that is on equal level to inevitable fates of her parents.

On a similarly themed thread, someone mentioned the trailer for Feast 2. In it, essebtially, a baby is sacrificed (IMO brutally). If I were to examine from an objective perspective, it serves a similar purpose to the Dead Island Trailer, but subjectively, I was in tears. That was my limit.

I think it made me realise what differentiated the two for me though. For DI, the girl was zombified and took a chunk out of her fathers neck. Now that's depressing, but she attacked him and he was defending himself, so he performed an act of necessary evil. As for F2, the baby is crying in a car. The survivors could have left it to it's fate. Again, horrible, but necessary. but this guy goes to lengths to save it. It doesn't work out and he ends up getting chased by two things. With no other option, he leaves the baby to be eaten. That baby did nothing to him, it was truly innocent. Instead ofdoing nothing back, he has an active part in determining it's death, which horrified me. Contrast the DIT, the parents try their damnedest to save their daughter, it's just unfortunate that she got bit at the last second. Essentially the whole scenario was outwith their control, whereas in F2, it wasn't.

Also, in Fable 2, when your dog sacrifices itself in the end, I felt a pang of guilt. I had become emotionally invested in that character and as such was affected by his death.
similarly, in the F2 trailer, there is hope for the child, there's something at the back of your mind thinking "At least the baby's going to be safe" and when it dies, well fuck, that's me knocked for six.
Conversely, in the DIT, the girl is dead from the start, so I am automatically resigned to her fate, with the struggle of her survival serving as an interesting, emotional hook, as I already know how it ends, I'm not experiencing the struggle with the on screen characters, merely witnessing it.

But I'm rambling, and it's late. So I'll end on a positive. That's one thing I admire about Molyneux, he takes great pride in his work and isn't afraid to think outside the box. How he implements his ideas on the other hand..

BrionJames

Jul 8, 2009
An excellent trailer. If they can really capture that element of sheer desperation and horror, because it's your family thats about to die not just yourself, then I think they've tapped into something that most zombie games and horror games in general have failed to do thus far.

katsumoto03

Feb 24, 2010
Shit, even if this wasn't a trailer it's still a piece of art IMO. This is everything a Zombie-related piece of media should be. Too many games, movies, shows ect. focus too much on the "awesome" parts of the apocalypse, not how much it would really suck.

The trailer is disturbing in the most brilliant way possible. Finally someone remembered that children exist and would be slaughtered in the event of a zombie outbreak.

Thumbs up.

Kelethor

Jun 24, 2008
fare777 said:
squid5580 said:
bfgmetalhead said:
squid5580 said:
Umm how come Feast 2 got away with so much worse? Such bullshit a movie can do so much worse but a video game that is tastefully done can't.
feast 2?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpKBTTv1lgs&feature=related

Watch at your own risk. It is disturbing. Seriously disturbing. I am not kidding. If you can't handle the Dead Island trailer do not watch this.
I just watched that first I didn't know what to think, we're they both going to die? Then he chucked the baby into the air, I started laughing then... D: faced. But, shit happens, still would've tried to save it myself.
She bit him im afraid. I saw that during my second viewing. I didn't realize it at first, but she turns and bites the father. He then chucks her out the window. that explains the wife's fearful look.

Also, I apologize for the double post, but does anyone think there's any significance into the fact that the trailer is viewed backwards?