Dead or Alive 6 Creator Director Shimbori Asks "Why does DoA get so much flak vs. other games?"

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
erttheking said:
CritialGaming said:
And yet last week saw yet another Senran Kagura game release on Ps4, a game about beating the clothing off big titted anime girls and nobody has said a fucking word about it.
That one doesn't complain about why it's seen as nothing but fanservice. It knows it is. Hey, if the game wants to be seen as nothing but fanservice, fine. But don't come and fucking complain to me when you focus on nothing but fanservice and then wonder why everyone just sees you as the tit game and laughs when you want to be taken more seriously.
I mean they really seem to be embracing that view point. As I said above, I feel like they are trying to play up AND play dumb about the fanservice issues to keep themselves on the radar. I know I'm thinking about the game now, which I never would have done otherwise.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Fappy said:
Gordon_4 said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Remember the days when Street Fighter went as far as showing a Naked Chun Li taking a shower in the Street Fighter 2 Animated Movie? Ass and Titties fully exposed? Good times...
I remember that; but I more clearly remember her wrecking Vega?s shit par excellence afrerwards more. Hehe, she threw a couch at him and kicked him through a wall.
Seriously one of the best martial arts fights in an anime to this day.
Damn straight. The first time I saw the street fighter animated movie was on TBS superstation. My brother and I saw it again a few weeks later on HBO (the uncut version) and neither of us were expecting that shower scene.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Fappy said:
Gordon_4 said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Remember the days when Street Fighter went as far as showing a Naked Chun Li taking a shower in the Street Fighter 2 Animated Movie? Ass and Titties fully exposed? Good times...
I remember that; but I more clearly remember her wrecking Vega?s shit par excellence afrerwards more. Hehe, she threw a couch at him and kicked him through a wall.
Remember when anime characters had bulk? Street Fighter 2: The Animated Movie remembers. Sometimes a little too well (looking at you D.J.), but still, Chun Li at least had some freaking beef on her bones.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
CritialGaming said:
erttheking said:
CritialGaming said:
And yet last week saw yet another Senran Kagura game release on Ps4, a game about beating the clothing off big titted anime girls and nobody has said a fucking word about it.
That one doesn't complain about why it's seen as nothing but fanservice. It knows it is. Hey, if the game wants to be seen as nothing but fanservice, fine. But don't come and fucking complain to me when you focus on nothing but fanservice and then wonder why everyone just sees you as the tit game and laughs when you want to be taken more seriously.
I mean they really seem to be embracing that view point. As I said above, I feel like they are trying to play up AND play dumb about the fanservice issues to keep themselves on the radar. I know I'm thinking about the game now, which I never would have done otherwise.
And if that works for them, it's fine, but they're gonna get some level of shit if they only thing they have going for them is fan service. The point of the OP is asking why Soul Calibur doesn't get as much shit about fan service as DoA does. That's because Soul Calibur has other stuff going on.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Casual Shinji said:
Fappy said:
Gordon_4 said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Remember when anime characters had bulk? Street Fighter 2: The Animated Movie remembers. Sometimes a little too well (looking at you D.J.), but still, Chun Li at least had some freaking beef on her bones.
Yeah, homogenisation is a huge problem in a lot of recent anime. A lot of the characters are either teenage boys are girls that are super thin. Remember when anime had actual body types for different characters? Sure, there were a lot of muscle-bound ones, but you still had different varieties.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
CoCage said:
altnameJag said:
SNK heroines had a few comments, an article here and there about its, ahh, issues with women, but they never got picked up by the culture warriors, because the culture warriors, like most people, didn't care about it. Heck, I saw more posts about trans Terri than anything. Senran Kagura gets a pass because of the same thing: the only time the culture warriors talk about it is when the dev complains about people and platforms thinking you shouldn't have naked kids because it's limiting his artistic freedom or something.

So if the SJWs just don't talk about it, they've got no ammo. So they don't talk about them either, or they end up trying to pass of a half dozen tweets with a dozen retweets between them as some sort of widespread outrage.

So, KT has to directly pander to the outrage merchants. Latest case in point, increasingly sexualized skits at EVO until they wore out the producer's patience, then the culture warriors get to whine about censorship and forced morality or whatever bollocks. Never mind KT got away with hot ladies in cut up outfits slapping each other on the ass.
When senran kagura first appeared, game journalsists were bitchingabout it left and right. But after hearing how "bad" the game was, most consumers picked it up and what they found was a fun, decent, brawler. With an interesting story, if they cared to listen. Senran Kagura's case is even more ironic, because it has crossed over with DOA before. Game journalsists that complain about senran kagura again would just be old hat.
...were they though? Bitching about it left and right, I mean. The actual "game" entries in the series review at the standard 6-7/10 that Japanese fanservice games tend to inhabit.

Or did they just say that fanservice heavy games featuring 16 year olds was kinda creepy?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
altnameJag said:
CoCage said:
altnameJag said:
SNK heroines had a few comments, an article here and there about its, ahh, issues with women, but they never got picked up by the culture warriors, because the culture warriors, like most people, didn't care about it. Heck, I saw more posts about trans Terri than anything. Senran Kagura gets a pass because of the same thing: the only time the culture warriors talk about it is when the dev complains about people and platforms thinking you shouldn't have naked kids because it's limiting his artistic freedom or something.

So if the SJWs just don't talk about it, they've got no ammo. So they don't talk about them either, or they end up trying to pass of a half dozen tweets with a dozen retweets between them as some sort of widespread outrage.

So, KT has to directly pander to the outrage merchants. Latest case in point, increasingly sexualized skits at EVO until they wore out the producer's patience, then the culture warriors get to whine about censorship and forced morality or whatever bollocks. Never mind KT got away with hot ladies in cut up outfits slapping each other on the ass.
When senran kagura first appeared, game journalsists were bitchingabout it left and right. But after hearing how "bad" the game was, most consumers picked it up and what they found was a fun, decent, brawler. With an interesting story, if they cared to listen. Senran Kagura's case is even more ironic, because it has crossed over with DOA before. Game journalsists that complain about senran kagura again would just be old hat.
...were they though? Bitching about it left and right, I mean. The actual "game" entries in the series review at the standard 6-7/10 that Japanese fanservice games tend to inhabit.

Or did they just say that fanservice heavy games featuring 16 year olds was kinda creepy?
Both. From content and gameplay. Now, I can deal without the fan-service, but I usually ignore it anyway. When Senran Kagura first launched digitally on eShop for the States, most of the user ratings were in the 4s or 5's out 5. So that says something about the critical dissonance. Not to mention Marvelous found their niche audience outside of Japan who will buy the games. Hell, it's their most successful series, so SK ain't going away any time soon. The series has been critic proof by this point.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
CoCage said:
Both. From content and gameplay. Now, I can deal without the fan-service, but I usually ignore it anyway. When Senran Kagura first launched digitally on eShop for the States, most of the user ratings were in the 4s or 5's out 5. So that says something about the critical dissonance. Not to mention Marvelous found their niche audience outside of Japan who will buy the games. Hell, it's their most successful series, so SK ain't going away any time soon. The series has been critic proof by this point.
Yeah, it's firmly entrenched in "fans of the series will like it" at this point. Plus being just about the only Musou Fighter outside Koei Tecmo. "It's a competent brawler where you don't have to fight the Yellow Turban Rebellion and has some dodgy fanservice" seems like an accurate descriptor based on what I played. As far as "critical dissonance" goes...let's just say Estival Versus's 10/10 user reviews tend to come in two flavors: "don't listen to the feminist SJW reviewers" and, I quote "I'm not putting it on a pedestal and saying it's genre defining but it definitely doesn't deserve all the ignorant hate it gets from people. It's a humble little brawler, nothing more and nothing less."

Not what I would call a description for a 10/10 game. I mean, I even looked for articles "bashing" it on Polygon and Kotaku and I didn't really find much, let alone anything that doesn't mesh with my own experience playing it. And, broadly speaking, I like the game well enough.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
altnameJag said:
Yeah, it's firmly entrenched in "fans of the series will like it" at this point. Plus being just about the only Musou Fighter outside Koei Tecmo. "It's a competent brawler where you don't have to fight the Yellow Turban Rebellion and has some dodgy fanservice" seems like an accurate descriptor based on what I played. As far as "critical dissonance" goes...let's just say Estival Versus's 10/10 user reviews tend to come in two flavors: "don't listen to the feminist SJW reviewers" and, I quote "I'm not putting it on a pedestal and saying it's genre defining but it definitely doesn't deserve all the ignorant hate it gets from people. It's a humble little brawler, nothing more and nothing less."

Not what I would call a description for a 10/10 game. I mean, I even looked for articles "bashing" it on Polygon and Kotaku and I didn't really find much, let alone anything that doesn't mesh with my own experience playing it. And, broadly speaking, I like the game well enough.
Agreed. The games aren't 10/10 (though what game is?). I grew beyond scoring games by the time I turned 20. At this point I tell people buy, wait for a sale, rent, or don't bother when it comes to games. I am glad you enjoy the game.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Well I'm sure the creative director is relieved that DoA is going to get shit for other reasons now.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1033490/DOA6_Season_Pass_1/

What the FUCK is this!?

Sep 24, 2008
erttheking said:
Well I'm sure the creative director is relieved that DoA is going to get shit for other reasons now.

What the FUCK is this!?
It's always been funny to me how male gamers decry female involvement in game design due to the fear that women will be pandered to, thus making games worse off by whatever 'female sensibilities' will be casted to.

... yet the biggest thing in gaming is fucking dress up, a style of play girls outgrow when they are ten...

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
erttheking said:

What the FUCK is this!?
DOA 6 is becoming the video game equivalent of that surprised Pikachu meme.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
erttheking said:

What the FUCK is this!?
DOA has been counting on triggered gamers to empty their wallets to protest "SJWs" for a while now.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
Something Amyss said:
DOA has been counting on triggered gamers to empty their wallets to protest "SJWs" for a while now.
That has nothing to do with it. Koei Tecmo has been pumping out massive amounts of DLC at crazy prices for ages now. Look at any number of the DLC available for the Dynasty Warriors games.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
erttheking said:

What the FUCK is this!?
I freaking called it. And some people (you know who you are) on this forum and a previous DOA6 topic, were worried about slightly less fan service.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
CritialGaming said:
Something Amyss said:
That has nothing to do with it. Koei Tecmo has been pumping out massive amounts of DLC at crazy prices for ages now. Look at any number of the DLC available for the Dynasty Warriors games.
It can be both.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
erttheking said:
It can be both.
Something Amyss said:
Not can be. Literally is.
The Earth could be flat too.

Japan does NOT have a clear awareness of western SJW culture, they don't understand it. There are clips and videos all over youtube of people interviewing Japanese people about some Western-based SJW outrage thing, they don't have the same grasp of what is "offensive".

So I do not believe that this DLC overpricing/overflow has anything to do with some anti-sjw agenda.

You are chasing ghosts, and labeling things that aren't there.

It's a shitty business practice plain and simple. There is no other evil reasoning behind it.

https://i.imgflip.com/1n2hie.jpg

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Paragon Fury said:
Interview with Shimbori. WARNING: LINK IS NSFW SITE. RELEVANT PART OF THE INTERVIEW QUOTED BELOW [https://doujins.com/blog/doa-6-director-comments-on-sexy-costumes-again-1077]

Interviewer: I'm sure you play other fighting games. Have you played Soul Calibur VI?

Shimbori: I have.

Interviewer: They went pretty far with the fanservice, and they seem to not have any problems...

Shimbori: The reason why they get away (with) it is one of the big mysteries of the world. Soul Calibur can do it and doesn't get a beating over it, but even when Dead or Alive doesn't do it, it still gets criticized.

If anyone can tell me why this happens, and how to fix it, please introduce them to me (laughs).

And it's actually a fairly good question; SC has been a fairly provocative series for almost as long as DoA has, including adding clothing destruction down to everyone fighting down in their skivvies WAY before DoA introduced even mild destruction, and has had fairly direct ads with Ivy compared to DoA's ads (except that one with the wall in Japan).

Yet other than some bashing on Ivy, SC generally gets away scot-free while DoA gets lambasted at every turn when it comes up. Even more so than explicitly sexual games like Senran Kagura, Sonicomi etc.
But the first DOA Volleyball was reviewed somewhat favourably by the GJ crowd. Basically it pays for these fuckwits to pretend like the backlash against their exploitative practices and generally shitty PR is merely somehow just people taking a problem with the aesthetics. They are quite literally taking you for a ride and buying their bullshit that is patently bullshit.

Like how shoddy and re-packaged DOA volleyball games afterwards, like their garbage wank with PlayAsia. Like their nonsense over localization. Right down to charging 100 USD for a Season One Pass.

But clearly people hating on them couldn't be because of any of that...