Dead Space 3 PC Won't Be Different From Console

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Dead Space 3 PC Won't Be Different From Console

"We want to make sure everyone's having that same experience," says the developer about Dead Space 3's PC port.

Visceral Games' Dead Space 3 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121750-Phil-Collins-Lends-Atmosphere-to-Dead-Space-3-Launch-Trailer] PC port isn't going to be optimized differently from its console cousins, and that means that graphical fidelity will remain broadly the same across the board. According to the developer, that's because "we want to make sure everyone's having that same experience."

"It's confusing to me that this question even comes up," says Visceral's Steve Papoutsis. "It's by no means any less important to us; it gets a lot of attention. The PC is a very different platform. As developers, you want to deliver an experience that's as similar as possible on different platforms." The last thing Visceral wants is for one user base to be crowing that the other platforms just don't have what theirs has.

The different control scheme - mouse and keyboard as opposed to controller - Papoutsis felt, would be enough to make the PC version feel different."We seem a little bit discredited for the amount of effort that goes into it, quite honestly," Papoutsis added. "We want it to be great on all systems, that's our approach."

Dead Space 3, the latest in Visceral's action-horror science fiction franchise, is due February 5th for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and, of course, PC.

Source: Shack News [http://www.shacknews.com/article/77584/dead-space-3s-pc-port-defended-by-its-executive-producer]

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
So in other words; "yes, the PC version will be a poorly done port-over with no optimization for better systems that many people might have wanted to take advantage of. Now excuse us, we're trying to see how many micro-transactions we can manage to squeeze into the game and get away with."

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
"Let's make the PC version shitter than it has potential to be so that people on consoles don't have to feel like they're missing out."

Yeah, fuck you. Any developer that doesn't want their product to be the absolute best it can possibly be has their priorities seriously wrong. I love the Dead Space franchise but there are just too many things about this game that turn me off. This is the final, stupid straw. You have lost my money, Dead Space 3.

Beat14

Jun 27, 2010
Surely he realises how what he has said alienates the PC community, or at least the pc community I know of.

If you aren't going to spend the effort to do something I wouldn't bother talking about it unless I have a solid reason too.

I have Dead Space 2 on PC, and its been a while since I've played it, but I was happy with the controls and the graphical fidelity. On top of that it run well on my pc which was pretty poor at the time. So if for some reason I end up buying Dead Space 3, if it runs like 2 did I will be pleased. I say pleased not happy.

Jan 27, 2011
Oh dear...That's not good...Stupid move EA.

And then the PC gamers rose up in rage and then turned to their local pirate hideaways, and then EA said "SEE! SEE! Thre is no point in being nice to PC gamers they're all pirates!!!" and thus completely missing the point that their business practices caused the gamers to pirate it in the first place...

EDIT: 0_o Apparently Visceral games decided on this course of action themselves...Huh. Well, nevermind the EA hate, then. Still, it's a VERY stupid move.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
Poor PC gamers, now you have to play the same game as everyone else. My heart bleeds.
Assuming the sarcasm is directed at the people up in arms about it, I agree. I don't see how having the same game as other platforms for a cheaper price is a bad thing. The only downside is the requirement of Origin, which would be needed regardless of the quality of the game.

Getting the same game is hardly being "screwed over" as people seem to be suggesting.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
aegix drakan said:

And then the PC gamers rose up in rage and then turned to their local pirate hideaways, and then EA said "SEE! SEE! Thre is no point in being nice to PC gamers they're all pirates!!!" and thus completely missing the point that their business practices caused the gamers to pirate it in the first place...
Can you not read? Visceral made this decision not EA. Save the pitchforks for when they're actually required, you'll have plenty more chances.

OT: This isn't going to sit well with the PC community, we paid extra for our hardware so we damn well expect that they'll make games so we can utilise it, I can't tell if this is laziness or stupidity. All we really want are high res textures at least or DX11. Good thing I preordered it on 360.

But those playing it on PC shouldn't feel to bad, Visceral decided to root splitscreen coop out of the game for consoles to ensure 90% of us won't be able to play the coop they worked so hard on. Bravo, Visceral. Bravo.

Elate

Nov 21, 2010
Any consideration I had for this game, gone. Utterly, gone. You've shot yourself in the balls with this one Steve Papoutsis.

Karloff said:
The last thing Visceral wants is for one user base to be crowing that the other platforms just don't have what theirs has.
No, instead you just have PC gamers feeling like you just can't be bothered to throw in some AA and good optimization, and trolls biting at the bit to try and rub it in.

Jan 27, 2011
MercurySteam said:
aegix drakan said:

Can you not read? Visceral made this decision not EA. Save the pitchforks for when they're actually required, you'll have plenty more chances.
Huh...You're right.

0_0 My bad, sorry. I just tend to assume it's the corporate mega-entitiy behind most of these bad decisions.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
good thing i dint intent to get the game anyway. saves me the money and time for getting angry.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
If you pretend you PC-port is actually awesome you get called a liar, fraud and lapdog to EA.
If you are honest about the fact that your PC-port won't be swinging for the rafters with graphical fidelity, but promise a good control-conversion and the same experience as on consoles, you get called a greedy, uncaring lapdog to EA.

Really, there's no way to win is there?

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
So every odd Dead Space is going to be awful then? 1 was an awful port with zero control options, 2 was actually good, now 3 is going to be awful?

If they can't be bothered to make a proper port then I wont be bothered to buy it. And by proper port, I don't mean 30 gigs of high res textures and special effects. I mean at least some decent optimization and textures that don't look like someone left them in their pocket when their pants went through the washing. And proper mouse controls, since one basically had none.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember Dead Space 1 and 2 looking much better at all on PC, even when forcing things through the driver control panel. And the first one had fucked up mouse aiming issues related to Vsync. That aside, we all know the loading times will be shorter, the framerates shouldn't fluctuate, and you get to choose between two input methods. Visceral doesn't have to do much work to make it "better" on the PC, and graphics aren't everything kids. Besides, someone will fuck with .ini files or make a mod or texture pack, and at the end of the day all will be as it was.

Burst6

Mar 16, 2009
Gethsemani said:
If you pretend you PC-port is actually awesome you get called a liar, fraud and lapdog to EA.
If you are honest about the fact that your PC-port won't be swinging for the rafters with graphical fidelity, but promise a good control-conversion and the same experience as on consoles, you get called a greedy, uncaring lapdog to EA.

Really, there's no way to win is there?
Yeah there is. Make a good PC port. Do you know what happens when a PC port is bad graphically? It lags. it lags a lot. Good graphics cards that can play modern games on medium settings will not be able to play this higher than 20-30 FPS when there isn't a lot of action on the screen. If a game isn't optimized properly for the PC, it becomes nearly unplayable unless you have a shiny $1500 modern rig. If they're stopping at mouse controls, this is probably going to be unplayable for me.

"We want to make sure everyone's having that same experience" is the worst excuse i have ever heard in my life. This is a AAA developer that's part of a massive corporation, and this is the best they can come up with? They could have said "we're too lazy to make a proper port. Be happy we even let you use the mouse. Now go buy our game" and i would have been less insulted.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
Burst6 said:
Yeah there is. Make a good PC port. Do you know what happens when a PC port is bad graphically? It lags. it lags a lot. Good graphics cards that can play modern games on medium settings will not be able to play this higher than 20-30 FPS when there isn't a lot of action on the screen. If a game isn't optimized properly for the PC, it becomes nearly unplayable unless you have a shiny $1500 modern rig. If they're stopping at mouse controls, this is probably going to be unplayable for me.
Yeah, I do. The big question here is if there's any indication that any of what you wrote here will happen to Dead Space 3 or if it is just you detailing a possible way to fail? Do note that he didn't say "We ain't giving a shit", he said that they are putting lots of effort into it but won't be going the extra miles to make Dead Space 3 look super-duper gorgeous on PC. Which is pretty much on-par with every other multi-platform release out there.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
That ....doesn't make sense, they squeeze every bit of power out of a console to make it look as good as the machine gets but to make it even they just shovel it onto PC instead of utilizing the hardware of that platform.

Make it as good as you can on everything and skip the lazy bull. There's tons of money behind this and they shovel it onto PC with less effort for the same price.