Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Susan Arendt said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Susan Arendt said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
I was a little worried about this game, but I'm glad it doesn't depart too much from what I gather. If I go into this game like an Aliens sequel then I think I will have a blast.

You mentioned resources, is there a limit to how much stuff you can carry, or can you practically carry as many materials as you'd like?
No limit to the resources you can carry, nope, but you are limited to the number of items (med kits, ammo clips, etc.) you can carry.

As for your Aliens reference, I totally felt like Vasquez the entire time. It really, really channels an Aliens vibe.
Okay, that makes sense. I had a feeling the regular stuff like ammo would be, but I wasn't quite sure about the resources and how that would balance. I think I have a fairly good grasp on what they're trying to do now. I hope anyways.

Vasquez, you say?

Well damn, now I'm super excited. :D
Well, it's not that Isaac ever gets a Vasquez-style gun (though some come damn close), I'm just more likely to picture her than Hicks when I play. :)
Well, that's a total bummer. Although, I'm fairly sure there will probably be some ridiculously awesome guns that you can create.

Still, I'd probably go with Vasquez over Hicks, but if I do co-op I can pretend that my buddy is Hicks.

Doopliss64

Jul 20, 2011
romanator0 said:
In the case of Dead Space, Visceral is EA. Visceral is a company that was created and is wholly owned by Electronic Arts. Here is the first sentence from Visceral's wikipedia page: "Visceral Games (formerly EA Redwood Shores[1]) is a video game development studio internally owned by Electronic Arts."

As for your "solution", it is completely and utterly stupid. All EA cares about is how much money they make. EA is a corporation through and through and will do what they want to make money even if it comes at the expense of their consumers. If you buy an EA game and then start bitching and raising hell EA isn't going to care, they already have your money, you already gave them your support. In this industry the consumers' power comes from voting with their wallets. If people don't like something that a publisher or developer is doing then not giving them money is how they show their view of the developer or publisher's actions.
Yes, Visceral Games is OWNED BY Electronic Arts. However, they are a seperable entity from the publisher EA. Publishers and developers are not the same thing.

Secondly, my point is that boycotting Dead Space will only send the message that gamers don't like Dead Space, not that gamers don't like EA's business practices. Let's say we lived in a perfect world where every gamer ever joined forces, took a stand against EA, and didn't buy Dead Space 3. If you were EA, looking at your yearly sales bar graph (or whatever it is they have) what do you see? You see all of your IPs doing very well, except for the one you were already on the fence about. That data doesn't say "Our business practices are immoral," it says "Dead Space is not a viable franchise," or more broadly, "Survival-horror doesn't sell," which would just reconfirm their suspicions that everything must be made more mainstream, and cause them to either go full-stop in making the next game Gears of War or just cancel the franchise entirely and tell Visceral to eat shit (as EA is wont to do).

IKWerewolf

Jan 13, 2011
knight steel said:
erttheking said:
Why do I get the nagging feeling that accusations of selling out will ensue?
let's get it out of the way ^_^

OP:ESCAPIST HOW MUCH DID EA PAY YOU TO SELL OUT, how can you support the micro transactions when they are everything bad about the industry,you say it's not a horror game but still give it a good review?

You have become an EA drone, who compromise your dignity for a quick buck you DISGUST ME T_T.
Love the sarcasm, beauty!!!

OK I expected this to be a lot worse... a lot of people did actually attack EA for microtransactions (including myself) and due to EA's actions recently, believe that microtransactions were going to be that far in your face that it would be the ONLY way to win (pay to win NOT A GOOD IDEA).

I'm glad to hear (after Jimquisition's IP talk on Dead Space) that they will not be (completely) ruining Dead Space

braincore02

Jan 14, 2008
deathbydeath said:
Unless I'm mistaken, and upon buying the game Visceral forces you to purchase DLC, then don't buy the damn DLC if you don't like the damn DLC. If you think you would like the game, then buy the game. Bam, problem solved! No need to whine or rant, just support what you want with your wallet.
Well I'm not whining or ranting, so I'm not sure why you mention it.

I am, however, pointing out that if people play into EA's game (I blame EA for these types of business practices more than any developer), then this will become business as usual, if it isn't already, which it arguably is. So now many EA titles are released with features intentionally removed so you can buy them later. If this were 6 or so years ago, they would've been included in the initial price.

So I voice my encouragement to everyone to avoid microtransacting. And again, kudos to anyone who just doesn't give EA money.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
If Bioshock Infinite weren't right around the corner and I wasn't saving my money for it, I would probably buy this. I'll still pick it up eventually I'm sure, but I just don't know when.
I've always played Dead Space for the fun gameplay and genuiniely enjoyable sci-fi story rather than for the "horror"; but the overarching creepiness adds a nice touch. I'm glad that it hasn't gone 100% Bro and abandoned everything I enjoyed previously; as long as it's still Dead Space, I should be happy.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
ForgottenPr0digy said:
This review and Rev3Games reivew have been very good.

While everyone is hating on machinima,IGN and GameSpot

it seems like the HATE/10 train is chugging along and everyone is apart of it. It seems like fans/viewers just wanna hate on EA,Day 1 DLC, Micros-transaction and Co-op and not getting a perfect score or a score close to perfect means the game sucks and no one should buy and bomb user Metacritic scores.
Just my 2 cents on the IGN hate, the reviewer's complaints are somewhat "nonsensical".
Some of the biggest complaints the guy has are:
Backtracking: Very prominent in Dead Space 1 and somewhat in 2.
"Fetch Quests" or go find 3 of this or arrange X number of things: Once again a staple of the previous 2 games.
Far Fetched Story: Once again both stories from the previous two are a bit nonsensical.

It's one of those things where it's like you really can't hold a trope of a game against it if you didn't complain about it in the previous games, it's one of those expected parts of the games and to bash it so hard for that is kind of silly/wrong.

knight steel

Jul 6, 2009
IKWerewolf said:
knight steel said:
erttheking said:

OP:ESCAPIST HOW MUCH DID EA PAY YOU TO SELL OUT, how can you support the micro transactions when they are everything bad about the industry,you say it's not a horror game but still give it a good review?

You have become an EA drone, who compromise your dignity for a quick buck you DISGUST ME T_T.

OK I expected this to be a lot worse... a lot of people did actually attack EA for microtransactions (including myself) and due to EA's actions recently, believe that microtransactions were going to be that far in your face that it would be the ONLY way to win (pay to win NOT A GOOD IDEA).

I'm glad to hear (after Jimquisition's IP talk on Dead Space) that they will not be (completely) ruining Dead Space
Sarcasm?...........Yes sarcasm.....I was defiantly using sarcasm......I was not serious.....at all.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
braincore02 said:
Well I'm not whining or ranting, so I'm not sure why you mention it.

I am, however, pointing out that if people play into EA's game (I blame EA for these types of business practices more than any developer), then this will become business as usual, if it isn't already, which it arguably is. So now many EA titles are released with features intentionally removed so you can buy them later. If this were 6 or so years ago, they would've been included in the initial price.

So I voice my encouragement to everyone to avoid microtransacting. And again, kudos to anyone who just doesn't give EA money.
First of all, if EA dies, that is a bad thing. Second, is not supporting microtransactions worth killing a franchise that isn't that bad, if I were to listen to people here? If you don't mind me quoting Penny Arcade [http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/par-reviews-dead-space-3-the-game-does-everything-right-except-the-horror]:

In practice, the microtransaction model isn?t annoying. Sure, it?s offered at the benches, but I was never tempted to bring in any extra support from outside the game, and I also never felt like I was missing out due to that decision. It was easy to ignore the prompts to download for-pay content. You may not like the system that allows you to pay to become more powerful, but if you don?t like it, don?t use it. I saw little evidence to support the idea that the game was tuned to require the use of outside funds.
You are willing to kill a quality franchise for that? Something hardly intrusive or annoying? Seriously?

Xdeser2

Aug 11, 2012
I want to hate this game with every fiber of my being for what EA has done

But...it just looks too good....

Apollo45

Jan 30, 2011
As good as it looks, I'm going to wait for the price to come down a fair bit. I would love to run out and get the game now, but in addition to being a bit short on money I've also been liking EA less and less as the years go on (which is surprising to say, since I've harbored a deep-seated resentment of the company ever since they dissolved Westwood), and even more in the past few years. The less money they get from me the better, so maybe when it's dropped to $30 I'll pick it up.

Still, thanks for the review. I was wondering if it would be decent or not, and it appears as though it's pretty good.

braincore02

Jan 14, 2008
deathbydeath said:
First of all, if EA dies, that is a bad thing. Second, is not supporting microtransactions worth killing a franchise that isn't that bad, if I were to listen to people here? If you don't mind me quoting Penny Arcade [http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/par-reviews-dead-space-3-the-game-does-everything-right-except-the-horror]:

In practice, the microtransaction model isn?t annoying. Sure, it?s offered at the benches, but I was never tempted to bring in any extra support from outside the game, and I also never felt like I was missing out due to that decision. It was easy to ignore the prompts to download for-pay content. You may not like the system that allows you to pay to become more powerful, but if you don?t like it, don?t use it. I saw little evidence to support the idea that the game was tuned to require the use of outside funds.
You are willing to kill a quality franchise for that? Something hardly intrusive or annoying? Seriously?
I disagree. EA's death would be quite good in my opinion. It would teach the industry that excessive greed and creating products with increasingly lesser value is not a valid business model. These are entertainment products. When we no longer have money to spend on them, they will go, and consequently, when we no longer see value in them, they will go.

In the meantime, if EA died, the most valuable developers and IP's would be auctioned off to quite willing buyers, and the industry would equalize. Gamers would survive, and actually thrive as a result. There are FAR worse changes in life you might have to deal with than a swapping of developers between publisher hands. Even if the IP's don't survive, good game ideas will survive in new games.

But most likely, talented developers would be purchased by publishers that, for a while (being realistic about it), might understand the lesson of excessive greed expressed by EA's failure. If you ask me, EA's death would be *QUITE* good for gamers.

Unfortunately the corporate charter of quarterly profit at any cost will ultimately lead them to the same state we have now, but equalizing the progress towards corporate greed is never a bad thing if you ask me, no matter how fleeting. The more permanent, the better.

If you think EA's death would be bad, you probably do not fully understand the relationship between publishers and developers.

To a large extent, publishers are a made-up need. They would not exist without talented developers. Publishing is to developer as banker is to industry, they are the upper class to the starving artist, the gallery to the aspiring, the money that enables the passionate to make a little coin, etc... I don't fault them for wanting a return on their investment, but traditionally, they ALWAYS go too far, yet they would have nothing to offer without the artist suckling at their... uh nm.

If you think developers get their fair share, sure, the top-execs of the developer might, that's why they play ball, but the underlings who actually make the game and who CARE about the game are just like you and me... maybe well off (by current standards), but certainly not retiring early, probably not getting paid out by social security when they're old, and what they'd like to see YOU get as an end product is not what you're going to get ever again, if EA's current business methods prove more profitable than those that give us good value for our money.

That's why I sigh whenever I hear a developer get blamed for what clearly seems to benefit the publisher at the gamer's expense.

As long as you can't distinguish the difference and motivations between publisher and developer the developers are 50% likely to be blamed for the publisher's A-hole decisions.

If you think not supporting microtransactions may equal the killing of a franchise, you may be of the business mind to be an EA executive... or you may just need to hear an opposing, yet reasonable, point of view.

Don't be a fool...

Go ahead, buy Dead Space 3, but I implore you, don't support microtransactions.

knight steel

Jul 6, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
mohit9206 said:
so now i know that this game does not have a very engaging story and its more fun to play co-op.
so since a good story is very important to me and also since i will be playing this game all by myself, is this game still recommended for me ? or does it bring it down since i wont be playing co-op ?
Where did you get that the story isn't engaging? I love the story of Dead Space. You will, however, miss out on parts of the story (Carver's parts, specifically) if you can't do the co-op missions, and I think that sucks. I enjoy the lore of Dead Space so much I want access to all of it - text logs, audio logs, stuff written on the wall in blood, everything. But you will still very much enjoy it if you play the entire thing solo. There are plenty of side missions to do by yourself, and they each add a great deal of flavor to the overall story.
How important is the stuff you miss out on if you can't play co-op [No gaming friends/no xbox live] does it leave plot holes or ruin the story for the single player person?

IKWerewolf

Jan 13, 2011
knight steel said:
IKWerewolf said:
knight steel said:
erttheking said:

Sarcasm?...........Yes sarcasm.....I was defiantly using sarcasm......I was not serious.....at all.
I'll be honest I was ready to drop IGN from my youTube subscription if they didn't make comment in the review condemning microtransactions (I'm being serious). Maybe I was being over zealous... but because of past records of EA, I believed that someone with higher levels needs to take a stand. In this case I can accept that microtransactions are not as bigger problems in this case and the developers should not suffer for this; but that doesn't get EA off the hook.

knight steel

Jul 6, 2009
IKWerewolf said:
knight steel said:
IKWerewolf said:
knight steel said:
erttheking said:

I'll be honest I was ready to drop IGN from my youTube subscription if they didn't make comment in the review condemning microtransactions (I'm being serious). Maybe I was being over zealous... but because of past records of EA, I believed that someone with higher levels needs to take a stand. In this case I can accept that microtransactions are not as bigger problems in this case and the developers should not suffer for this; but that doesn't get EA off the hook.
Yay some one who agrees with my thought exactly I feel so validated ^_^
Put it here bro:

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
braincore02 said:
Holy Hell this is long. I'm impressed.
Here's a secret: If EA went bankrupt, had it's assets liquidated, it's IPs auctioned off, and its corpse strung up on a wall, that wouldn't change a damn thing. Other publishers would be reminded of their own mortality; they would be reminded how fallible and vulnerable they are to the biting winds that are the average fuckstupid* consumers that buy their products. They wouldn't "wake up", they would hide in their bunkers like there's no tomorrow. They would minimize risk and maximize profit as much as possible, continuing to pour more money into larger products with baffling inefficiency, churning up a new product every year until consumers barely recognize their beloved franchises.

Here's another option: show publishers how it's done. Steal their customers with better products that were cheaper to make. The technology to lower the cost to make games is out there, and it's the goddamn answer. By showing the game makers with the money how to make profitable games without money, they'll start to copy you. Pumping more money into a dev team isn't the answer, and that's whats killing the major players in the industry. None of us want them to go the way of Atari, we just want them to do things right.

Disclaimer: I am not necessarily naming or calling anybody out as fuckstupid. In my experience, I have conversed with people who told me without a trace of irony that they would be fine with annual insubstantive sequels to a favorite franchise until it was burnt out and killed. I will call people who share that mindset fuckstupid without regret or repentance. Again, this may or may not apply to people on this site, but that has not been my experience.

IKWerewolf

Jan 13, 2011
braincore02 said:
deathbydeath said:

I disagree. EA's death would be quite good in my opinion. It would teach the industry that excessive greed and creating products with increasingly lesser value is not a valid business model. These are entertainment products. When we no longer have money to spend on them, they will go, and consequently, when we no longer see value in them, they will go.

In the meantime, if EA died, the most valuable developers and IP's would be auctioned off to quite willing buyers, and the industry would equalize. Gamers would survive, and actually thrive as a result. There are FAR worse changes in life you might have to deal with than a swapping of developers between publisher hands. Even if the IP's don't survive, good game ideas will survive in new games.

But most likely, talented developers would be purchased by publishers that, for a while (being realistic about it), might understand the lesson of excessive greed expressed by EA's failure. If you ask me, EA's death would be *QUITE* good for gamers.

Unfortunately the corporate charter of quarterly profit at any cost will ultimately lead them to the same state we have now, but equalizing the progress towards corporate greed is never a bad thing if you ask me, no matter how fleeting. The more permanent, the better.

If you think EA's death would be bad, you probably do not fully understand the relationship between publishers and developers.

To a large extent, publishers are a made-up need. They would not exist without talented developers. Publishing is to developer as banker is to industry, they are the upper class to the starving artist, the gallery to the aspiring, the money that enables the passionate to make a little coin, etc... I don't fault them for wanting a return on their investment, but traditionally, they ALWAYS go too far, yet they would have nothing to offer without the artist suckling at their... uh nm.

If you think developers get their fair share, sure, the top-execs of the developer might, that's why they play ball, but the underlings who actually make the game and who CARE about the game are just like you and me... maybe well off (by current standards), but certainly not retiring early, probably not getting paid out by social security when they're old, and what they'd like to see YOU get as an end product is not what you're going to get ever again, if EA's current business methods prove more profitable than those that give us good value for our money.

That's why I sigh whenever I hear a developer get blamed for what clearly seems to benefit the publisher at the gamer's expense.

As long as you can't distinguish the difference and motivations between publisher and developer the developers are 50% likely to be blamed for the publisher's A-hole decisions.

If you think not supporting microtransactions may equal the killing of a franchise, you may be of the business mind to be an EA executive... or you may just need to hear an opposing, yet reasonable, point of view.

Don't be a fool...

Go ahead, buy Dead Space 3, but I implore you, don't support microtransactions.
I can't argue that EA needs a wake up call, the biggest problem with EA is its acquisition method and cannibalising off developers to create its super developer. If EA was to collapse, how would they split this comapny? The titles would be sold off like they would with THQ but what would they do with the team?

The answer is never good. Those developers that are still in good form with liscenses will be bought out but the liscences may be auctioned separately if they are being held by EA.

As for the super developers splitting them would save the company but would be a moral blow as it would split up friends and colleagues. There are very few publishers with the power to buy the WHOLE development arm of EA and if they tried the result would be redundancies to cut it down to a sellable level.

I would love to see EA to be humbled... but its only going to happen if there is an alternate solution and major investors jump ship to them.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
knight steel said:
Susan Arendt said:
mohit9206 said:
so now i know that this game does not have a very engaging story and its more fun to play co-op.
so since a good story is very important to me and also since i will be playing this game all by myself, is this game still recommended for me ? or does it bring it down since i wont be playing co-op ?
Where did you get that the story isn't engaging? I love the story of Dead Space. You will, however, miss out on parts of the story (Carver's parts, specifically) if you can't do the co-op missions, and I think that sucks. I enjoy the lore of Dead Space so much I want access to all of it - text logs, audio logs, stuff written on the wall in blood, everything. But you will still very much enjoy it if you play the entire thing solo. There are plenty of side missions to do by yourself, and they each add a great deal of flavor to the overall story.
How important is the stuff you miss out on if you can't play co-op [No gaming friends/no xbox live] does it leave plot holes or ruin the story for the single player person?
It's supplemental. The main story will remain perfectly intact. They're like the other side missions - there to add flavor and background, but not necessary.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
knight steel said:
IKWerewolf said:
knight steel said:
erttheking said:

Well, if I disgust you, then I highly encourage you to find a website more in line with your personal tastes.

knight steel

Jul 6, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
knight steel said:
IKWerewolf said:
knight steel said:
erttheking said:

Well, if I disgust you, then I highly encourage you to find a website more in line with your personal tastes.
You don't disgust me I like you ^_^
I was joking around I thought the ...... would show that if I was serious I would of simply said "I was not using sarcasm".

knight steel

Jul 6, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
knight steel said:
IKWerewolf said:
knight steel said:
erttheking said:

I"m Really sorry if I offended you that was not my intention, It would be great if we could be friends, please forgive me Your a great reviewer!