Dead Space 3 Review

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Dead Space 3 Review

Dead Space 3 may not be scary, but it's still a damn good time.

Read Full Article

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Why do I get the nagging feeling that accusations of selling out will ensue?

Well, there's nothing wrong with a sci-fi action game. Maybe I'll get it...used of course.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
I played most the first (haven't tried the second or prequel yet), and it wasn't scary at all, so the whole "going more action and less scary" is fine with me. Need to get around to trying DS2.

knight steel

Jul 6, 2009
erttheking said:
let's get it out of the way ^_^

OP:ESCAPIST HOW MUCH DID EA PAY YOU TO SELL OUT, how can you support the micro transactions when they are everything bad about the industry,you say it's not a horror game but still give it a good review?

You have become an EA drone, who compromise your dignity for a quick buck you DISGUST ME T_T.

Frybird

Jan 7, 2008
I liked the Demo more than i expected, but at the same time i feel like i'm still burned by Assassins Creed 3...wich was a well made game overall and not short on new features, but still felt weaker for changing up too much or sometimes too little compared to thier well made predecessors.

Also you can only take so much of something before it loses it's effect (in this case creeping through dark corridors while Necromorphs jump out of ventilation shafts), and while i don't mind the more action-based focus THAT much, it's still having to deal with some weak new features (The short encounters with human enemies in the Demo was kinda awful) and a less thrilling atmosphere (almost unavoidably) that makes this one a hard sell.

(Surprisingly, it would've been easier for me if it had actual split-screen CoOp)

Daniel Laeben-Rosen

Jun 9, 2010
I liked this review... Also really glad to hear the creep-factor's still there. Then again I'm one of those who didn't find the first game that scary but, I love the look, feel and atmosphere of these games so, happy to hear that's still intact.
This goes right on my maybe-list!
Because I'm horribly horribly broke and haven't been able to buy newer console games for a while. That list's getting long. But this get's to sneak in around the top.

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
Is that the N7 DLC armour being used in the video review?

I'm so torn about this title!
I loved the original Dead Space but then Dead Space 2 felt so unnecessary, even with all the character and world development.

The most recent trailer got me interested because of Isaac's character arc seemingly coming to a close but even then...dropping £40 on it seems excessive.

Susan Arendt said:
Did you play any of the missions in Co-op?

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
tmande2nd said:
The day I buy an EA product will be a cold day in hell indeed.
Wow, the internet continues to amaze me. I could actually feel the self-righteous pretentiousness emanating from my computer, congratulations.

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
Honestly, this game had no business focusing on co op. It's lost sight of what it originally wanted to be in trying to be mass market.

Pass.

Kuredan

Hingle McCringleberry
Dec 4, 2012
erttheking said:
I really hope we don't devolve into a discussion like that. I thought it was a fair review. I wasn't exactly thrilled with the co-op and micro transaction aspects, but I am still looking forward to the game. I broadly saw Susan's review as "It is what it is- and that's not bad." It doesn't look like micro transactions buffet you in the face every five minutes like say... Fable 3 did. (I will never forgive that game for making me dislike the sound of John Cleese's voice. That should not have happened.) I would say that the co-op aspect was addressed in the review relatively evenhandedly. The co-op missions are not game halting; you just miss out on some lore and items if you can't play them. The final issue that people will have is that game isn't scary at all, isn't scary enough, not the right kind of scary. Who says survival horror has to be a Silent Hillesque trip down repressed memory lane culminating in the soul shattering revelation of the depravities of man? Yeah, that is a kind of horror. I think you paint yourself into a corner when you so narrowly define a genre. H.P. Lovecraft pioneered another kind of horror: the unknown and the unknowable. The concept of the Other and the crushing feeling of dread lurking deep in the subconscious and an back drop of an uncaring and dangerous universe featured heavily into his work. He wouldn't fit neatly into the "survival horror genre" but would you doubt his ability to terrify? What we determine as "scary" is subjective and if anything, those who appreciate it regularly are slowly inured to its effect; it simple doesn't affect them any more. Me, I will probably be scared pantsless by Dead Space 3

The bottom line is that I can see how a reviewer, taking all the flaws into account found the game as it is to be a good game. It shows that it's good at what it does. It may not do what you want it to, but that doesn't mean it isn't a good game.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
pass for me.

?A
no horror
first game was already boring and this looks boring as well

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
deathbydeath said:
tmande2nd said:
The day I buy an EA product will be a cold day in hell indeed.
Wow, the internet continues to amaze me. I could actually feel the self-righteous pretentiousness emanating from my computer, congratulations.
You know, I don't feel comfortable supporting EA either. So lay off.

V3rtig0

Mar 3, 2012
About Isaac's proficiency with guns - at first I thought the same thing many people are saying - "after so many encounters with necromorphs he better know how to use a gun", or something along the line. But when you think, if he only used tools all the time, how could he have learned to use guns? So he either got some training before going to find this marker doomsday machine(don't know much about the story and premise of the third game yet) or he just practiced with the pulse rifle that was available to him the first two games and we can just assume that other firearms operate in a similar manner.

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
How long is the game? The latest Jimquisition mentioned something about Dead Space 2 being 8 hours. I think I almost fell out of my chair when I heard that.

It's kinda strange because I feel like what you reviewed about the game doesn't really amount to the recommendation for the game. I really only got three positives:

>creepy
>robust crafting system
>satisfying story

I believe the crafting system is well done, especially since you just informed me its tied to micro-transactions. I guess it's creepy but I feel like I'd have to really put myself in the game, turn out the lights, and make it creepy myself. Like try to be scared every time they swarm me, which sounds like alot. Plus you recommended getting a buddy off handedly, even though I feel like that would definitely dampen the experience.

I don't know, from what I see and hear it seems like you might be talking about a more polished, and loved but still run-of-the-mill corridor shorter. Like you're talking around it.
I think I'll just try and pick up Dead Space 1 sometime. Even if the story is satisfying, I figure the first one would help the experience.