Dead Space 3 Review

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
No review so far has tackled the subject of spending real money in-game. Why is that? Is it a non-issue after all?

braincore02

Jan 14, 2008
deathbydeath said:
Here's a secret: etc
Well I'll agree to disagree. I would be just fine if EA were to go belly up. I did note that your proposed option (steal their customers) also involves customers spending our money elsewhere, ie, not giving EA money. Isn't that what started this all in the first place?

In any case, I don't see EA going away anytime soon. The least we can do right now is resist their microtransaction business model.

Comic Sans

DOWN YOU GO!
Oct 15, 2008
Country
United States
Milanezi said:
No review so far has tackled the subject of spending real money in-game. Why is that? Is it a non-issue after all?
It's basically a non-issue. It's on a sub-menu in the work benches that is not obtrusive at all. While it does net you pre-built guns and some suits, as far as I can tell it's stuff you could make in-game with the right materials, and suits seem to be purely cosmetic, at least from what I can tell from the suits given by the limited edition and the N7 suit. They are a shortcut for people who want to have some of the guns without having to wait to scavenge materials over possibly multiple playthroughs.

This is my impression anyway from a few hours of play.

schwitz

Sep 30, 2012
Saw the QuickTime event in the video. That alone, regardless of the rest of the game, is enough to put me off of it.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Not scary? What's become of the world? Horrible otherworldly beasts flying at you trying to kill you, and it's not scary. Huh.

Maybe what really needs to be said is that most (>90%) of our games are scary games involving killing, monsters and zombies and that we've become desensitized to it all.

CorvusFerreum

Jun 13, 2011
I am baffled that this seems to have a somewhat good PC port. I heard DS and DS2 weren't all that great in that regard and Visceral themself stated that they will do a streight up console port. And now it tursn out it the port hasn't its Framerate locked at 30FPS, has high resulution textures and a ton of options.
According to Total Biscuit you can even change the FOV (via config file, but at least you can), wich is kinda rare in third person games.
It just boggles my mind, that they anounced a barebones PC port and then made a good one. I just don't get why they would do that. This just seems like PR-insanity to me.
Seriously, kudos to Visceral on that port. It really seems to be reasonably good. And the game itself doesn't look to shaby either (if you judge it as an action title). I might even buy this a few months down the line. I only hope I can get it without Origin, pref. DRM free (a man can dream) until then. With the hassle I regulary have with Steam and this load of junk that is Games for Windows Live I just don't want to hassle with yet another set of DRM Software.
Also: I'm still not too keen on the Microtransactions.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
I watched the Game Grumps video on the demo, before playing the demo. It kind of ruined any shock the game could have. lol But boy was it fun.

"Ooooh, that dead body there is sure dead. I better just walk towards i--Die!! (unloads clip)"

xD Then the Crab/thinga-majig Necromorph attacked and when I beat it, I was yelling at it to get back here and calling it a coward.

Later I was screaming: "stasis the drill!" Ah, good times. The times when you fight other humans made me think I was playing a regular third person shooter, rather then a Dead Space game. Well, until the Necromorphs show up.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
Blood Brain Barrier said:
Not scary? What's become of the world? Horrible otherworldly beasts flying at you trying to kill you, and it's not scary. Huh.

Maybe what really needs to be said is that most (>90%) of our games are scary games involving killing, monsters and zombies and that we've become desensitized to it all.
I don't think it's that.

Fear needs build, it needs atmosphere and it needs to be handled right.

A monster in real life like this would frighten a lot of people, no matter the surrounding. Except, the problem is these are games, and are brains can tell fiction from reality, so when we have no build up, our mind easily spots these as fake and doesn't give in to being scared as it would've if it was seeing them in the right mood, the atmosphere, your mind itself being taken in and playing tricks on you.

It's why the monsters from that one really popular survival horror game look funny when seen out of context, but when you first seem them in the game with the build up, it can scare the hell out of you.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Asuka Soryu said:

I don't think it's that.

Fear needs build, it needs atmosphere and it needs to be handled right.

A monster in real life like this would frighten a lot of people, no matter the surrounding. Except, the problem is these are games, and are brains can tell fiction from reality, so when we have no build up, our mind easily spots these as fake and doesn't give in to being scared as it would've if it was seeing them in the right mood, the atmosphere, your mind itself being taken in and playing tricks on you.

It's why the monsters from that one really popular survival horror game look funny when seen out of context, but when you first seem them in the game with the build up, it can scare the hell out of you.
I just wonder if that says more about us than it does about games.

As for fear, if we were really scared by scary games, and i emphasise REALLY scared, we wouldn't play them at all. Not in a million years. Anyone who has experienced fear in its strongest incarnation will testify to this statement.

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
Comic Sans said:
Milanezi said:
It's basically a non-issue. It's on a sub-menu in the work benches that is not obtrusive at all. While it does net you pre-built guns and some suits, as far as I can tell it's stuff you could make in-game with the right materials, and suits seem to be purely cosmetic, at least from what I can tell from the suits given by the limited edition and the N7 suit. They are a shortcut for people who want to have some of the guns without having to wait to scavenge materials over possibly multiple playthroughs.

This is my impression anyway from a few hours of play.
Thanks for the info. It's actually the sort of thing I might do then ahaha, buying avery powerful weapon just to make things easier hahaha

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
schwitz said:
Saw the QuickTime event in the video. That alone, regardless of the rest of the game, is enough to put me off of it.
Are you kidding me? These random quick time events that may occur like once every hour or so of pure gameplay have been in the series since Dead Space 1.
So you never played the other two games, and you swoop in by this thread and say you're not gonna play this one either, because it features a totally random quick time event.
Good thing I can enjoy 99% of the rest of the game, plus the 1% of random quick time events.

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011

That, and tearing off their limbs whilst armed with a flamethrower chainsaw is a kind of catharsis thats less, "frenzied violent fight for survival" and more, "GET YOU SOME!"

I think Visceral missed a golden opportunity to really amp the creep factor with the enemies; now was the golden opportunity to wheel out the the giant centipede made of human torsos, the zombified pregnant ladies with weaponized fetuses, and whatever the hell that giant bear-shaped...thing that appeared in Dead Space: Downfall was.

nexus

May 30, 2012
Microtransactions are pretty lame. I'm okay with "special DLC" that adds little extras like the suits and what not. It's a bit cheap to see but acceptable. However, the resource microtransactions and the like.. not okay with that.

Basically, unless you're running an MMO and have massive overhead costs and a huge ongoing development team. Then you really shouldn't be considering MT's. It's not like EA needs to scrape enough cash together to release annual expansions for Dead Space 3, or that they have to pay a ton of money to refresh the license rights to their IP, like Turbine has to do with Lord of the Rings Online.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
To me Dead Space never really was a horrorgame. It's an action-game with some horror elements. I haven't played DS3 yet but i always liked Dead Space 2 more than it's predecessor. I mean, yeah, they toned down the horror elements but these didn't work too well to begin with. And while i would have appreciated if they tried to improve them i didn't miss them in DS2. That's why the game as a whole seemed much more focused to me. It was a perfectly decent, dark and gritty SciFi shooter with a pretty nice atmosphere.

jovack22

Jan 26, 2011
Assassin Xaero said:
I played most the first (haven't tried the second or prequel yet), and it wasn't scary at all, so the whole "going more action and less scary" is fine with me. Need to get around to trying DS2.
Dead space 2 was very good, and has a lot of parts that will put you at the edge of your seat, whether or not you scare easily.

I can guarantee that anyone who has played it has been nervous at some point during their first play through.

jovack22

Jan 26, 2011
V3rtig0 said:
About Isaac's proficiency with guns - at first I thought the same thing many people are saying - "after so many encounters with necromorphs he better know how to use a gun", or something along the line. But when you think, if he only used tools all the time, how could he have learned to use guns? So he either got some training before going to find this marker doomsday machine(don't know much about the story and premise of the third game yet) or he just practiced with the pulse rifle that was available to him the first two games and we can just assume that other firearms operate in a similar manner.
It doesn't take a genius to operate a weapon, especially at close quarters like is often the case.

Epic Fail 1977

Dec 14, 2010
The Dead Space games have been widely lauded for their immersive HUD design, which has changed little in three games. Instead of information being displayed in a regular HUD, Isaac Clarke can open a 3D HUD that exists within the game world, not outside of it. This was a much-talked about feature before and after the release of the original Dead Space. It was one more step forward on the road to Immersion. Well done Visceral. Let's all have a beer.

So it seems strange to me, Susan, that you would hand-wave the inclusion of "unobtrusive" micro-transactions within that HUD. Very strange indeed.

schwitz

Sep 30, 2012
NLS said:
schwitz said:
Are you kidding me? These random quick time events that may occur like once every hour or so of pure gameplay have been in the series since Dead Space 1.
So you never played the other two games, and you swoop in by this thread and say you're not gonna play this one either, because it features a totally random quick time event.
Good thing I can enjoy 99% of the rest of the game, plus the 1% of random quick time events.
So, after reading my comment, you immediately assume that I simply swooped in on this discussion and that I have played neither game before. Both of which are wrong. Look, I have a lot of respect for the series and 1 & 2 where great games, the one thing I despise in ALL games, is QuickTime events.

I play PC and console and no matter the platform, I still feel they break the mood by making you mash or quickly press a button at a moments notice.

Now, back to my comment; I am aware of the QuickTime events in the first two, I just didn't enjoy them and wish that they were removed as a game-play mechanic. I don't expect anyone to share or agree with this opinion, but it is my own and I am entitled to it.