Dear Alistair...

Sark

Jun 21, 2009
Alistair was a bro, but he whined far too much. Replace him with Loghain, who is a much more interesting character.

bobknowsall

Aug 21, 2009
I liked him, to be honest. Dude had issues, but the bastard son of a king who's being forced to take power he doesn't want has the right to ***** a little.

Veleste

Mar 27, 2010
Are you kidding, I absoloutely fell in love with Alistair! He's dorky, yes, but in a cute and innocent way. He's a bit self-righteous about what is right and what is wrong but tbh, while chopping off the heads of everyone seems like a good idea to you, this is his world and he's not a violent sociopathic psycho like Morrigan who thinks if you're not violently stabbing kittens while you eat then that's a wasted meal.

Also, I love Alistair's voice, he's a voice actor I adore and I think he portrayed the character very well.

(That being said, he did start to annoy me in the forest with his ignorance so I swapped him out of Zevran who just liked to talk about Wynnes boobs)

Karathos

May 10, 2009
Arisato-kun said:
Flying-Emu said:
Arisato-kun said:
Alistair's actually my favorite Dragon Age character so I must disagree with everything you said. However, I think there's one character we can all universally agree to hate.

Sweet baby Jesus what is that thing
That thing is the main character of Final Fantasy XII, Vaan. He's annoying.
You sure about that one? I sure as hell am not!

And nah, Alistair was brilliant. Reminded me of myself a fair bit - so maybe I'm a bit of a douche too? :D

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
I didn't really have a big problem with Alistair. Granted his jokes were bad and he whining could be pretty irritating, but that never really made me hate him. It just made him feel more human actually. He wasn't perfect, but his faults didn't make me dislike him. I suppose that's because his faults didn't totally overpower the rest of his character. To be honest, Morrigan annoyed me far more with her constant disapproval. Though I didn't really hate her either.

Anyways, an example of a character I really hate is Reaver from Fable 2. He is a perfect example of how not to make a character. He is a pompous asshole that holds himself above you in every single conversation. He clearly acts like he is superior, and even when he tricks you and almost kills you he acts like it was just a harmless joke. These are the characters you usually end up killing or punching in the face. But no, not only does the game deny you any opportunity to get back at Reaver, but it actively promotes the idea that he is better than you. Normally you'll get the hint that the writers want you to think that characters like him are jerks. But no such indication is present in this game. Also I don't care if he is voiced by Stephen Fry. It doesn't change what Reaver is.

I'm also not particularly fond of Tali from Mass Effect. I don't actually think she is a poorly designed character like Reaver though. She's just a character I don't like due to various events in both games, mostly Mass Effect 2. I'll also admit that the amount of praise she gets also causes me to dislike her, but that's not the only reason. That just enforces my hate for her. I honestly don't get why so many people praise this selfish ***** to no end.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Alistair was tolerable until the end, when he turned into a whiney little emo ***** and stormed off with my Juggernaut armour.

Zyxx

Jan 25, 2010
Arisato-kun said:
Alistair's actually my favorite Dragon Age character so I must disagree with everything you said. However, I think there's one character we can all universally agree to hate.
I don't hate Vaan. I don't like him particularly either. The thing is, aside from having to look at his very oddly-sculpted abs all the time, he wasn't enough of a presence in FFXII for me to give him much thought. He might have been the default playable character, but the story wasn't really about him at all.

OT: Alistair didn't really bother me. Sure he was a whiner, but I didn't find it that bothersome, and it's not like I didn't have other characters I could play with when I got tired of him.
Amusing fact: When I was first playing, I assumed right away that he was the gay male romance option (I hadn't met the real one yet.)

Characters who do annoy me: Right now, it's every party NPC from the main campaign of Neverwinter Nights 2. Each one of them (except maybe Shandra Jerro) is a bland nonentity with an obnoxious attitude who tries to pass off a single exaggerated character trait as something interesting. I could even tolerate that if they had some decent backstory, or if all the characters with more intriguing basic concepts weren't watered-down knockoffs of better characters from a better game (namely Planescape: Torment).

spinFX

Aug 18, 2008
I hate Alistair, Jaheira (Baldur's Gate 2), Carth Onasi, Mission Vao (both from KOTOR1), Tali (Mass Effect). All of them except Jahiera are whiney bitches. Jahiera is just a *****.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
This character isn't nearly edgy or dark enough clearly, what he needs is more barely suppressed raaaage and more brooding angst! Maybe give him a few snips here and there, give him longer hair, darken up his clothes and... yup, now he's exactly like every other generic character from every other game ever. Perfectly mediocre and forgettable!

I mean it worked with the Prince, right?

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Alistair was kinda lame, but tolerable.
He's also the only decent tank until you get Shale.

The dialogues and VOs for Morrigan and Lelaina were much worse. If you must hate game characters, hate them.

Kavonde

Usually Neutral Good
Feb 8, 2010
I like Allistair, but I also have an extremely broad sense of humor and enjoyed his bad puns, constant sarcasm, and aborted jokes. Kinda REALLY reminded me of Xander from Buffy.

Vaan, however, can burn in hell. But even he's not nearly as bad as his predecessor.

"HAA HAA HAAAA. HAA HAA HAAAA. HAAAA HAAA HAAA."

Lizardon

Robot in Disguise
Mar 22, 2010
I'm gonna have to disagree with you. I found Alistair likeable, even if he could get annoying. After you complete his quest and if who choose the write conersation options, he complains less and becomes cooler in my opinion.

I don't think I've ever loathed any fictional character.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
I liked him until I slept with him. Taking his virginity was just not a good idea. Saran wrap does not begin to describe the level of clinginess. Although Zev had the same problem even though I flat out told him it was just going to be a 1 night stand before we did the nasty.

OrdinaryGuy

Oct 19, 2009
I don't have a problem with Alistair. In fact, he's one of the better Dragon Age characters in my opinion. It seems like a lot of people dislike characters just because of their attitude or whatever, which I think is stupid. It's their character. Alistair's dumb humor and weird comments are what makes him unique. That's no reason to hate. It's okay to hate when the character has no emotion, bad voice acting, and/or no reason for being there. Case in point, Vaan from FFXII, as many people already mentioned.

Kiju

Apr 20, 2009
darthzew said:
Kiju said:
Yes...I believe you are the only one who does. I suppose it requires a sense of humor beyond your caliber.... snip
I fail to see how an insult was necessary.
Eh, I believe it was merely a statement of fact. If it was an insult to you, then that's your opinion and problem.

For example: my caliber of humor does not include things like...say...Ren and Stimpy.

Limie

Feb 18, 2010
I didn't mind Alistair, sure he was whiny but then I played infinite undiscovery and found it painful to follow Mr. Whiny in person, Capell for hours at a time. I could not even play the first disc of the game because he was so annoying. My favourite banter is in Awakening between Oghren and Anders those guys actually made me laugh, Alistair not so much.