Dear Alistair...

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Scobie said:
Personally, the only problem I had with Tali was the problem I had with all quarians - the whole "We're going to create a race of sentient beings and then attempt unprovoked genocide. Then we're going to complain when the geth have the temerity to defend themselves and spend the next three centuries bitching about them despite the fact that they did nothing wrong and this whole thing was entirely our fault.". Why do you call her selfish?
Well partly due to the problem you addressed that is an inherent part of all idiot Quarians (aka most of them). Also because Tali's best reason to genocide the Geth rather than colonizing another planet is so she doesn't have to stay inside her suit. She then goes on to exaggerate the limitations her immune system imposes on her life. She is clearly only thinking about herself and what she wants. Even if she doesn't give a damn about the Geth, she's still ranking her own personal comfort above the millions of Quarians that would die pointlessly in an assault on the homeworld. Then there's the fact that she tried to convince me to hide the war crimes of her idiot father because she didn't want to see his reputation slandered. Again, she is placing what she wants ahead of what would be best for her species, even when it goes against her father's wishes.

So in summary, Tali supports genocide so she doesn't have to wear a suit and wants me to cover up war crimes to protect her corpse of a father. That's what I would consider to be selfish.

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
SnootyEnglishman said:
What are you nuts? I like Alistair and his witty sarcasm. He and Morrigan have the best NPC banter in the whole damn game.
QFT!!

I love Alistair. I was about to put the game away until he strolled onto the scene. Add Morrigan and you have a classic Odd Couple connection going on. It was lovely.

I have characters I can't stand, but I don't feel like upsetting anyone today. So I'll keep it to myself for the time being.

Wutaiflea

Mar 17, 2009
I love Alistair. Even when the bastard dumped me on my first run through.

Conversely, my husband hates him and says he's completely unlikeable.

I find Leiliana much more annoying and in general, an insult to femininity. You don't have to act like a moron to be feminine.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
You are never the only one blah blah blah.
Now that we've got that out of the way, I didn't like Sten much seeing as his quest bugged out so I couldn't finish it, so I never saw him develop as a character.
Oh, and I really hate most of the Dwarves from The Witcher. Just something about them makes me think 'racist fat 45 year old who swears at every opportunity.'

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
hazabaza1 said:
Now that we've got that out of the way, I didn't like Sten much seeing as his quest bugged out so I couldn't finish it, so I never saw him develop as a character.
Oh, and I really hate most of the Dwarves from The Witcher. Just something about them makes me think 'racist fat 45 year old who swears at every opportunity.'
shit in my boots!

teutonicman

Mar 30, 2009
I didn't think Alistair was that annoying, his jokes sucked but......... scratch that his comments did suck ass. Also I named my dog Bacon.

Internet Kraken

Mar 18, 2009
Wutaiflea said:
I love Alistair. Even when the bastard dumped me on my first run through.

Conversely, my husband hates him and says he's completely unlikeable.

I find Leiliana much more annoying and in general, an insult to femininity. You don't have to act like a moron to be feminine.
It's been awhile since I played Dragon Age: Origins, but I don't recall Leliana being particularly dumb. What exactly are you referring to? Though I suppose no female character is ever going to seem that stupid to me since I will inevitably compare them to Colette. Much like how no character will seem like as big of a jerk when I compare them to Reaver.

That reminds me, Colette from Tales of Symphonia is another character I absolutely despise. Almost every character in that game suffers from poorly written dialogue and hammy acting, but some of them could have been decent characters if the actors put in more effort and the writers knew how to utilize the English language properly. But Colette couldn't have been salvaged because the plot requires her to be a useless moron. Her entire role throughout the game is to get captured, be in danger, inconvenience everyone, or do all of the above. Sometimes the villains aren't even responsible for it. She will hide things from you that are a big problem. Any sensible person would address these problems when they come up, but Colette has the common sense of a rabbit so she hides it, so as not to bother anyone. Failing to realize it's going to bother everyone a lot more when it is inevitably discovered. And this is a big problem since major portions of the game revolve around saving her stupid ass.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
veloper said:
hazabaza1 said:
shit in my boots!
What really annoyed me was the metaphor 'why do pricks go in cunts?'
I mean, seriously? That was completely unnecessary, and was only there to stir up controversy with the reviewers. At least give them some decency.

Wutaiflea

Mar 17, 2009
Internet Kraken said:
Wutaiflea said:
It's been awhile since I played Dragon Age: Origins, but I don't recall Leliana being particularly dumb. What exactly are you referring to? Though I suppose no female character is ever going to seem that stupid to me since I will inevitably compare them to Colette. Much like how no character will seem like as big of a jerk when I compare them to Reaver.
I can understand that not everyone would think she's dumb, but I certainly did. I got annoyed with her naivety and "oh, I can't believe I got betrayed by my thoroughly dodgy mentor" bullshit, her inconsistency (I can't tell you I fancy you without going off on one about having birds in your hair, but I will have a four-way at the slightest provocation) and the unnecessary love of nugs (I thought it was girly enough that she was into shoes).

Petty? Yes, very, but it was just the way I felt about the character. I think she was supposed to be endearing, but she just wound me up. And all the irritating giggling... ugh.

I'm not familiar with Colette, so I can't make the comparison, but there you go- why Leiliana pissed me off, since you asked :)

Internet Kraken

Mar 18, 2009
Scobie said:
I got the impression that she wanted all her people to have a house on the homeworld. I don't know how long quarians live, but even if they did manage to recapture the homeworld, I thought it would probably take longer than her lifetime to readapt to living outside suits. Plus, she's a combat engineer. All the quarians who would die trying to retake the homeworld might well include her. And it's not as if all those other quarians would be going to their deaths unwillingly - they want a house on the homeworld too.
It's her little rant at Shepard that makes me think it's more due to her selfish desires though. Tali specifically mentions that because of the pilgrimage she realized that her life on the flotilla was not adequate. This suggests that she acquired a taste for how other species live, and wants to enjoy the same luxuries. Even if she is thinking about her whole species, she's still putting personal comfort ahead of the lives that would be lost during the war. Another thing she mentions is that it would take around 60 years to readapt on the home world, and 600 on a new world. These could just be vague estimates, but it still suggests that she would be able to live without a suit if they took back the homeworld. Any Quarian who justifies the genocide of the Geth and the death of millions of Quarians with that is either selfish or stupid.

As for the quarians' attitude towards the geth, I would say that the quarians are willing to commit genocide because they don't see the geth as people. But given that this whole thing was kicked off by the quarians realising the geth had achieved sentience, that excuse doesn't really fly, does it? And I can't excuse Tali's views on the matter by saying that it's the fault of her upbringing, given my tirade against Jack earlier in this thread. I really can't excuse her wanting to lie to cover up her father's war crimes either. The quarians do have that whole ancestor-worship deal, but putting that above the welfare of both the geth and the quarian people kinda sucks. Man, the more I think about this the less I like Tali. Next time through ME2 I'm gonna romance Miranda and kick Tali in the head.
One way you could think about it is just that Tali is naive. I mean she is pretty young for a soldier, and considering how Quarians stay isolated on the flotilla she probably isn't as mentally mature as a human at that age either. It doesn't excuse her behavior, but it does help put it into perspective and it made me hate her less. One interesting thing to see would be if Tali actually matured based on decisions you make in Mass Effect 2. Of course that would mean that doing things she didn't like actually leading to an overall positive outcomes, and the Talimancers won't stand for that.

I guess we can both agree that regardless of moral considerations, starting a direct war with a multiplanet machine empire, which whupped you last time when you were in a position of superiority and has been developing continuously since then, when all you have is a primarily-civilian flotilla of 17-million people and literally zero natural resources, in order to retake some random planet that may or may not even be habitable any more, is a fucking stupid idea.
BioWare must have intentionally portrayed the Quarian government as being powerfully stupid, otherwise their writers messed up big time. Because that impression I get from the game is that their leaders are idiots. Like you said, they are charging blindly into battle against an enemy that beat them the first time. Only now their enemy has grown in power, while they have only decayed and been reduced to a fleet of ragtag ships. How are they supposed to win again? By hacking the Geth? Right, because hacking Geth has worked so well in the past.

Is it just me or is it weird that no-one ever points out that the quarian homeworld is also the geth homeworld, and the geth therefore have at least as much claim to it as the quarians do?
Oh well the Geth are robots, therefore they don't deserve the homeworld!

That's the usual response you get. It doesn't really matter in the end though, since the Geth don't even want the homeworld. They just want to finish building their space station, then the Quarians can take back their precious rock with no resistance. This only further shows how dumb the Quarians are though. They know absolutely nothing about the Geth's current status. They are charging into battle against an enemy they have almost no intel on. Again, if BioWare did not mean to portray them as a race of stubborn idiots, they failed horribly.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
I hated alistair, the fact that he endlessly whined about everything, but then everyone wants to make him king, then he flames you to hell and back for every hard decision you have to make, then he gets so wound up in revenge that he blows his top at the meeting and acts like a two year old that just got told he cant have dessert.

But you can harden him at some point in the game and he gets to be a little less annoying, if you make him king he actually is pretty darn good at it. It is just a shame through most of the game there is no indication he would make any kind of decent king.

Best thing about alistair tho is how often he gets owned in party chat. he is often worth having along with people he does not like just for that.

darthzew

Jun 19, 2008
Kiju said:
darthzew said:
Kiju said:
Yes...I believe you are the only one who does. I suppose it requires a sense of humor beyond your caliber.... snip
I fail to see how an insult was necessary.
Eh, I believe it was merely a statement of fact. If it was an insult to you, then that's your opinion and problem.

For example: my caliber of humor does not include things like...say...Ren and Stimpy.
Then perhaps "caliber" wasn't a good word. Usually you would use the word caliber to describe ability or how good something is. Another use would be for how high-profile something is.

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
Dr. wonderful said:
No, I didn't hate him...Actually didn't you at least try to harden him?

He becomes more badass after being harden.
I was with Leliana, she would've got suspicious if I was hardening Alistair.

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
teutonicman said:
I didn't think Alistair was that annoying, his jokes sucked but......... scratch that his comments did suck ass. Also I named my dog Bacon.
I named my dog Snuffykins.

Funkiest Monkey

Jul 10, 2010
Enigma6667 said:
It's official: We shall eliminate all people and characters named Alistair to cleanse this world of general douchebaggery.
Wasn't Alistair that awesome electro-sword from Devil May Cry?

OT: Sora from Kingdom Hearts. Annoyed me so much!

Apr 28, 2008
I actually didn't mind him that much.

I personally hated Reaver in Fable 2.
The dude is a complete ass, and easily more evil than Lucien, who is evil because the writers say so and force him to do things out of his character.
Reaver just does evil things because he can. And he's a smug bastard because of it. I hate that guy, so very, very much.