Debate a girl about anything! I will debate you!

The Thinker

Jan 22, 2011
Here's a good topic: The use of "they" as a non-gender-specific singular pronoun, e.g.
"Someone rifled through my stuff; whoever they are, they're not very stealthy." Or
"I was talking to this person on the internet, and then they insulted me!"

I'm all for it. You?

Axelhander

Feb 3, 2011
The Thinker said:
Can I take that math problem?
You can, but keep in mind: it's a trick question. The internet is all ablaze about it right now.

Here's a hint: neither 2 nor 288 is the right answer.

Here's another: the "divide" sign...

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Impluse_101 said:
orangeban said:
Impluse_101 said:
Debate how this isn't scary...

Damn, I'm to nervous to even touch that thing...
Happy Birthday to you.....

Happy Birthday to you.....

Happy Birthday dear......

Happy Birthday..to...you~
Get back in the scary thread! GO ON, GET!

OT: Debate Canada's 2011 election. Go.

Dr Snakeman

Apr 2, 2010
Myf said:
Dr Snakeman said:
Kathinka said:
Traun said:
Why do you crave attention so much?
i was ninjad by this, i was going for something like "i argue that you are an attention whore by specifying your gender in the thread title. debate me!" though the guy i quoted was more...tactful^^
I, too, was going to say something like this. So, yeah, here goes:

I postulate that you are under the impression that being female somehow makes you special, while the truth of the matter is that you share that characteristic with about 48% of humanity. I would argue that your assumption about the denizens of the Escapist forums -that they don't have the opportunity to hold conversations with women on a regular basis- is false and insulting.
Male and female tend to think differently, many factors such as how we are raised, where we are raised and our genetics play a big role here.
Is it not being sexsist to be calling her attention whore just for revealing her gender in forum? I've never seen a dude being called attention whore for revealing his gender.
There's no problem with letting people know that she's female. The annoying thing is that her thread title explicitly states that she is female. Indeed, it's her whole reason for creating this thread. It implies that she has nothing else to talk about, so she just made a thread about her being a girl. It's as though she thought that a woman is so rare on these forums that we would all jump at the chance to *gasp!* actually get a girl's opinion on something! A real girl!

I'm not particularly fond of that attitude. Of course, it seems she's a member of the herd now, so I have to like her. Or at least love and tolerate the shit out of her :p

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
The Thinker said:
Here's a good topic: The use of "they" as a non-gender-specific singular pronoun, e.g.
"Someone rifled through my stuff; whoever they are, they're not very stealthy." Or
"I was talking to this person on the internet, and then they insulted me!"

I'm all for it. You?
I see you're channeling Randall Monroe channelling Ryan North.

What, you expect alt text in forums? Well, Outright Villainy has you covered sir/madam!

I'm all for it!

So from here on, I shall channel you channelling Randall Monroe channelling Ryan North.

The Thinker

Jan 22, 2011
Carlos Alexandre said:
48÷2(9+3)=X

Solve for X.
Carlos Alexandre said:
The Thinker said:
You can, but keep in mind: it's a trick question. The internet is all ablaze about it right now.

... I don't see it. Seems like X should equal 288 becuase 48/2(9+3)=48/2*12=24*12=288. Also, I don't see anything wrong with your division sign.

rodain

Jan 22, 2011
Salad Is Murder said:
minespatch said:
Aren't genders the same except for sex organs? Why do we have to make a war about it instead of just accepting that we're both stupid and intelligent and have faults? Do we need to resort to bra burning and sports to show this one uping?
The first part is true, but not really. There are pretty distinct biological differences between men and women that are BECAUSE of the hormones and sex organs. This may be a tangential point, but I've always thought that true equality is a silly myth that is both impossible to live up to and achieve. By identifying and celebrating our differences I believe we would be much better off and more comfortable with ourselves and with others.
we are distinctly different, the reason certain things are considered girly is because those most commonly appeal to them. it's a preset mentality that rarely differs, and is linked to gender. genetics are also very dominant as defining characteristics: people who have parents that have trouble learning, have trouble learning themselves, despite being placed in a different environment. there have been studies on orphaned children who get completely different parents, yet aren't affected almost at all by them. they don't pick up smoking habits which their surogate has for example.
it seems that whatever alterations seem to be available for a person is only there because the genes allow for those potentials. that isn't to say that environment has no effect, but we have trouble discern which things that actually do affect our decissions, habits and basic thoughts.

i would ask that you make an answer before reading the second part my following question/statement, as i think that might bring interesting revelations if you decide to analyze yourself and as you write your answer.

what you think of my following statement?

we are brought up in our society, in all societies to be ashamed.

reason for the statement:
we are brought up to be ashamed of our bodies, cover them up, things that are natural we're taught to hide. we're brought up to be ashamed of being both skinny and fat, though they're contradicting. we're ashamed of the things we don't know, even if we know we've had no reason to know them. we're ashamed of the things we know, because we seem arrogant. we're ashamed of our skin though we've not chosen. and we're ashamed of habits, though they inflict nothing on anyone.

why is this, and why don't we change?

beyondbrainmatter

Dec 7, 2010
Salad Is Murder said:
Go ahead, I double-dare you.
What is your position regarding the possibility of a transcendent being, in light of emergence being a part of the ontological structure of the universe (from quarks, nuclei, atoms and molecules up to stars and solar systems), taking into account that consciousness also is an emergent system and as such a part of the universe as a thing in itself?

edman270

Jan 25, 2010
Carlos Alexandre said:
48÷2(9+3)=X

Solve for X.
so cruel, do we really want another 11 PAGE discussion on this same math problem on the same site? not to mention how its blowing up the internet everywhere else. Im pretty sure its approaching meme status at this point

Axelhander

Feb 3, 2011
The Thinker said:
Carlos Alexandre said:
48÷2(9+3)=X

Solve for X.
Carlos Alexandre said:
The Thinker said:

... I don't see it. Seems like X should equal 288 becuase 48/2(9+3)=48/2*12=24*12=288. Also, I don't see anything wrong with your division sign.
The divide sign (keep in mind I used ÷ and not /) does not accurately represent what this equation should be.

Is the divide sign indicative of a fraction? If so, the numerator is 48 and the denominator is 24, making the answer 2.

Is the divide sign meant to show this is a fraction multiplied by an expression in brackets, like (48/2)(9+3)? If so, the answer is 288.

The REAL answer is that the ÷ sign is horribly out of date.

But hey, Google the equation and see the online wars going on right now over this. I promise you'll be amused. ;)

Diligent

Dec 20, 2009
Ok, I don't have anything to contribute debate-wise, but I had to laugh at all the "Why you says you a girl!?!?" posts.
If the title was "Debate a guy about anything! I will debate you!" nobody would bat an eye. Nobody would go "why are you pointing out that you're a guy?!?!"
Am I the only one seeing the irony in this? The exact thing you're railing against is only happening because you're bringing it up and pointing it out.

Maybe that will start a debate after all. Fortunately, I'm too tired to follow up on it.

The Thinker

Jan 22, 2011
Outright Villainy said:
I see you're channeling Randall Monroe channelling Ryan North.

What, you expect alt text in forums? Well, Outright Villainy has you covered sir/madam!

I'm all for it!

So from here on, I shall channel you channelling Randall Monroe channelling Ryan North.
Egad! My cover is blown! With alt-text too! Good show, Mr. Villainy, good show. (though I am in favor of the use of "they" as proposed.)

Carlos Alexandre said:
The Thinker said:
The divide sign (keep in mind I used ÷ and not /) does not accurately represent what this equation should be.

Is the divide sign indicative of a fraction? If so, the numerator is 48 and the denominator is 24, making the answer 2.

Is the divide sign meant to show this is a fraction multiplied by an expression in brackets, like (48/2)(9+3)? If so, the answer is 288.

The REAL answer is that the ÷ sign is horribly out of date.

But hey, Google the equation and see the online wars going on right now over this. I promise you'll be amused. ;)
I stand by my answer as proper use of order of opperations, and veiw the two signs to be interchangable. However, I suppose that's a discussion for another thread.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
XxRyanxX said:
..Wow, I mean- I am fine with debating but you really took that to far. I don't mind being wrong, but why state it to others? That's pretty offensive.. it's like a slap in the face dude. I didn't even make primary factors, I just stated my personal opinion on the MP3 Player on why I liked it a lot. So thanks Marter.. really is nice to see you of all people put me down to such a degree. Oh and-You know, if you are fine with debating, then actually debate. You don't though. What you do is either apologize, or take something as offensive. I've seen you do it before -- this is no different. If you really are fine with debating, and you can actually counter my points, do it! Respond! Take the offensive! Have you ever been to a real debate? It gets borderline offensive. And that's what my post was. It wasn't intending to offend, no. Why would I do that? What would I gain? Nothing. No, what I wanted to do was prove a point. That point is: You have no backing to your argument, and you were wrong.

And look, I was right. You didn't respond attempting to engage in debate. You responded in a more hostile manner than I initially responded to you in. You de-railed our discussion. I know you stated why you liked the MP3 player better -- you were misinformed about the iPod though. I rectified that, did I not? I countered every one of your points, and because of this, you have nothing left. Now, all you have it a weak personal attack on me. Sorry, not going to entertain that.

It's funny how you said "you of all people", because I thought I made it clear that I'm a blunt person. I stated facts, and you can't handle that. I post the truth, and all you're doing is stalling and deflecting it. You were wrong, and for some reason, you took offense to me stating as such.

I was just being friendly is all, and yet the way you said that.. I wouldn't normally bother to reply on people who seem to disagree with me or even get a little heated but your words, the way you said them- is just wrong to do toward anyone. Not to be harsh, but I hope you're happy..really low of you to do Marter.
Friendly and pedantic is what you are being. Telling people they can take their time is redundant. They'll take as long as they want, and nothing you can say will change that. Saying that you want a friendly debate, that's fine. Giving permission like you're some kind of higher-up is what I'm against. But I thanked you for your permission, like you often thank thread creators for their post. I followed your lead, and you call it a "slap in the face".

And for the record, nobody else that I shared my post with believed that I was in the wrong, or being too harsh. No personal attacks were made; I was slightly sarcastic, sure, but that's how I argue. And I stated my own personal opinion, and you are now demonizing me for it. Sorry, bro. Not going to fly here.

And if you don't want to respond, don't. I made points in an attempt to engage in a debate. You didn't respond with any other points, and decided to attack me instead. Your choice, but you are the one derailing this thread, not me. Now we're debating something else, which I'm also okay with. I'm not a hypocrite.

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
Generic Gamer said:
What's your stance on resurgent nationalism in the Western world in the wake of recent troubles in the Middle East?

-or-

Would you stand by a libertarian policy to drugs in a country with nationalised healthcare?

I mean, I suppose I could ask you about girl things but equality renders that somewhat redundant.
you make me feel so dumb... kudos, sir.

Myf

Jan 12, 2011
Dr Snakeman said:
Myf said:
Dr Snakeman said:
Kathinka said:
Traun said:
Why do you crave attention so much?
i was ninjad by this, i was going for something like "i argue that you are an attention whore by specifying your gender in the thread title. debate me!" though the guy i quoted was more...tactful^^
I, too, was going to say something like this. So, yeah, here goes:

I postulate that you are under the impression that being female somehow makes you special, while the truth of the matter is that you share that characteristic with about 48% of humanity. I would argue that your assumption about the denizens of the Escapist forums -that they don't have the opportunity to hold conversations with women on a regular basis- is false and insulting.
Male and female tend to think differently, many factors such as how we are raised, where we are raised and our genetics play a big role here.
Is it not being sexsist to be calling her attention whore just for revealing her gender in forum? I've never seen a dude being called attention whore for revealing his gender.
There's no problem with letting people know that she's female. The annoying thing is that her thread title explicitly states that she is female. Indeed, it's her whole reason for creating this thread. It implies that she has nothing else to talk about, so she just made a thread about her being a girl. It's as though she thought that a woman is so rare on these forums that we would all jump at the chance to *gasp!* actually get a girl's opinion on something! A real girl!

I'm not particularly fond of that attitude. Of course, it seems she's a member of the herd now, so I have to like her. Or at least love and tolerate the shit out of her :p
Well I can see ur point and you dont really have to like her at all :p
I'm just a bit tired of girl gamers bein bitched on becasue they wanna make em selves heard, I guess I can identify with them since I'm a girl as well... Then again she didn't really mention any games, she just stated she's a girl like you said ^^

I'm sure theres loads of female gamers out there but for me they're quite rare so if I can easily find them in forums it makes me feel like less of an anomaly xD