Debunking The Saints Row IV Whining

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
While playing through SR IV has brought some memories of Prototype and InFamous, I found that I rather quickly ran out of shits to give. As soon as I realized that the previously tedious "insurance fraud" missions were made roughly a million times more entertaining by using a simple Super run + Super Jump + Ragdoll combo to fling myself across the length of the city I was able to forgive a lot of petty gripes.

So yeah, it's the same Saints Row defense I always use.

It's stupid and childish but I'm actually having a lot of fun with it so it gets a pass.

Nosirrah

Apr 16, 2013
Ruzinus said:
It's totally using ideas from Crackdown and Prototype.

That's not a whine, that's a hurray.
It is. Crackdown's orb collecting was addicting and fun, while prototype's powers made exploration fun, so with fun addicting gameplay and a sense of humour makes a great game, in my opinion.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Just finished Saints Row 4 the other day, the main story that is, there are still quite a few side missions and challenges and such I haven't done. Whatever the case it was good!

If you liked Saints Row before you'll probably like Saints Row 4. Honestly I'm just baffled where the developers could possibly go from here unless they turn Saints Row 5 into some insane galactic exploration game... which could be awesome. Hmm...

Wilbot666

Aug 21, 2009
Ruzinus said:

This was the very first thing that came into my mind as well, I really enjoyed the section of SRTT with superspeed and I can't wait to have a go at the new game. Already paid for and pre-loaded it on Steam.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Ruzinus said:

Spot on, they're taking good mechanics from games that were pretty average and putting them into one of the most enjoyable series of this generation.

What's not to love?

Also, OP, you may want to add to the list the people that were whining about the anal probe gun for making light of rape, and saying Volition should be shut down as a result.

I agree that actual rape is no laughing matter, but there's a time and a place, and a gun that shoots big dildos at enemies, or whatever it does exactly, is not worth crusading over.

TheCommanders

ohmygodimonfire
Nov 30, 2011
I just started playing the game last night, and despite the fact that Saints Row 2 is still my favorite of the series, I'm actually having a lot of fun. I've laughed out loud at several points, and dicking around in the city is actually an entertaining pass time. My only big complaint so far (I'm only about a third through the game, I think) is that so far, every side quest, and every other main quest is literally just 2-4 activities tied together with 1 line of voice acting by whomever gave you the quest. And it's not even a level or version of the activity unique to the mission, it's the actual activity on the map. The missions are just stringing you through the activities you could already be doing on the map. Saints Row the Third did this as well (although it was usually just 1 activity disguised as a main mission), and it annoyed me then too. Considering how fun the actual missions have been so far, this felt really lazy.

saluraropicrusa

undercover bird
Feb 22, 2010
Diddy_Mao said:
As soon as I realized that the previously tedious "insurance fraud" missions were made roughly a million times more entertaining by using a simple Super run + Super Jump + Ragdoll combo to fling myself across the length of the city I was able to forgive a lot of petty gripes.
That combo hadn't even crossed my mind, I am definitely going to have to try that next time I play that activity. Even without it I have a ton of fun with "insurance fraud."

TheCommanders said:
To be fair, the activities are generally a lot of fun, and you get some good rewards for doing them as side-missions (like new variations of your super powers).

imahobbit4062 said:
Going back to Saints Row 2, while it had layer options, it had fuck all variety in clothes.
The Third might have just top, bottom and shoes. But it has clothing options that are actually wearable.
YES, THANK YOU.
As far as I remember, the only thing we've really lost from 2 are undershirt - shirt - coat, and socks--and really, how much are you really losing in that case, especially when there was so little actual variety in 2's clothes? If you're wearing all three torso layers SOMETHING isn't going to be visible, and who gives a shit what socks you're wearing? That's about as important as your underwear, and THAT didn't get dropped for 3 & 4.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
Yeah I'm not interested. Saints Row has become far too stupid and goofy and it isn't even remotely funny or fun.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Saints Row IV is simply magnificent. I loved the third, and the changes to IV have all been an improvement, on top of turning the original storyline on its head. The cars handle better, and they're packed with more detail and better modeling. And the motorcycles can actually be driven this time.

Saints Row IV pays tribute to a lot of different sci-fi sources, my two favorite being skins for weapons:
[/spoiler]
and [spoiler=Blade Runner][img src=http://i.imgur.com/cRXKqZA.jpg][/spoiler]

Adultism

Karma Haunts You
Jan 5, 2011
So most of the time I don't listen to others whine about games and the only gaming related stuff I watch is on yourtube (bro team, game groomps, such and such) But I've been playing Saints Row 4 and guess what,

It is a huge rip off.

I'd also like to state despite being a rip off I LOVE it. When a game references pop culture it really gets me. So yeah it did rip off a bunch of games and pop culture but that doesn't mean its bad.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
Considering that Activision closed down the Prototype developers before they could make a female Protagonist then I'm all for them 'ripping it off'. I also like that it's doing it's own thing, they've gone on record as saying that they knew that the wackier aspects turned off people who were more into the down to earth GTA clone, but why play a clone when you can just play the original?

No shit it'll sell more, longer in development, a larger marketing budget and it's a lager established franchise that has a dedicated fanbase. If it had the option to 'completely' customize your character then I'd probably be more interested, but yeah, golf, wetting myself for the golf mini-game.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Adultism said:
It is a huge rip off.

I'd also like to state despite being a rip off I LOVE it. When a game references pop culture it really gets me. So yeah it did rip off a bunch of games and pop culture but that doesn't mean its bad.
There's a pretty big difference between ripping something off and paying homage to or parodying something, which is something Saints Row 4 does frequently.

Or did you mean a rip-off money-wise?

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
ShinyCharizard said:
Yeah I'm not interested. Saints Row has become far too stupid and goofy and it isn't even remotely funny or fun.
You sound like you're a blast to hang out with.

OT: Saints Row IV is fun as hell, it's over the top retarded and I love every god damn minute of it. If you don't think running at insane speeds and leaping tall buildings while listening to "YOU'VE GOT THE TOUCH! YOU'VE GOT THE POWERRRRRRR!!!!!!!!" you have no soul.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
Kenbo Slice said:
ShinyCharizard said:
You sound like you're a blast to hang out with.

OT: Saints Row IV is fun as hell, it's over the top retarded and I love every god damn minute of it. If you don't think running at insane speeds and leaping tall buildings while listening to "YOU'VE GOT THE TOUCH! YOU'VE GOT THE POWERRRRRRR!!!!!!!!" you have no soul.
Eh. Their idea of funny doesn't match mine. (dubstep gun for example. That ain't funny)

RickyChinese

Aug 19, 2013
The whole Mass Effect pastiche in SR4 is hilarious. There's no way anybody could play this and walk away thinking it's an expansion pack.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
1. It's fun. I'm having a blast playing it.

Everything else is pretty much irrelevant.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
ShinyCharizard said:
Eh. Their idea of funny doesn't match mine. (dubstep gun for example. That ain't funny)
To it's credit Saints Row 4 is surprisingly clever when it feels like it. The games writers clearly have some wit and talent behind them, especially by game standards. Which isn't to say Saints Row is any sort of high brow entertainment, but I wouldn't dismiss it as all corny gimmick humour either if you haven't played it.

One thing I really respect about Saints Row 4's humour is that it never goes too far either. It's more than happy to poke fun at various games and tropes, even itself, but it doesn't do so in a negative way like you might expect. Very much trying to pay homage to just as much as it's trying to make fun of.