Debunking The Saints Row IV Whining

chikusho

Jun 14, 2011
Aiddon said:
thing is though, the first two complaints ARE valid...but then you have to remembers that Volition has been through a LOT of stuff since SRTT. Heck, it was completely viable that they wouldn't even still be around a few months ago due to THQ's collapse and luckily they got bought by Deep Silver's parent company. A few flaws are going to happen, such as the city being almost exactly the same and having ONE enemy "gang" instead of three. However, they'll probably do better with a Saints Row V due to being more secure.
GonzoGamer said:
But sr4 did start off as a dlc for sr3, so that's actually a valid complaint. Then again, if you really liked sr3, it's a selling point.

Is calling it a Prototype rip-off a complaint? What if you liked Prototype (I did), which in itself is a ripoff of Hulk Ultimate Destruction? I'd say calling it a prototype ripoff is a complement.

I love threads where people whine about people whining. It reminds me of that George Carlin line "Have you ever noticed that their stuff is shit and your shit is stuff?"
Maxtro said:
Uh, it was supposed to originally be an expansion pack. That is common knowledge.

Enter the Dominatrix
http://saintsrow.wikia.com/wiki/Enter_The_Dominatrix
Saints Row IV was not originally supposed to be DLC. Saints Row IV is, and was supposed to be the sequel to Saints Row: The Third, and was being developed parallel to The Third.

The DLC "Enter The Dominatrix" was supposed to be DLC.
When working on the DLC "Enter The Dominatrix", they decided to extend the ideas they had for it and add the mechanics to the already ongoing project "Saints Row IV."

The game Saints Row IV has it's own storyline, missions and content.
The DLC "Enter The Dominatrix" will be released as DLC to Saints Row IV, under the name "Enter The Dominatrix."

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
The Madman said:
ShinyCharizard said:
Eh. Their idea of funny doesn't match mine. (dubstep gun for example. That ain't funny)
To it's credit Saints Row 4 is surprisingly clever when it feels like it. The games writers clearly have some wit and talent behind them, especially by game standards. Which isn't to say Saints Row is any sort of high brow entertainment, but I wouldn't dismiss it as all corny gimmick humour either if you haven't played it.

One thing I really respect about Saints Row 4's humour is that it never goes too far either. It's more than happy to poke fun at various games and tropes, even itself, but it doesn't do so in a negative way like you might expect. Very much trying to pay homage to just as much as it's trying to make fun of.
Well I'm willing to try it later down the line (maybe with a complete edition) but Saint's Row 3 burned me hard so I'm not particularly keen on buying it right now. Especially with GTA V coming out soon.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
chikusho said:
The DLC "Enter The Dominatrix" will be released as DLC to Saints Row IV, under the name "Enter The Dominatrix."
The GTA4 dlc had its own storylines missions and content but I thought they were overpriced at $20 each. So you're talking to the wrong guy.

chikusho

Jun 14, 2011
GonzoGamer said:
chikusho said:
The GTA4 dlc had its own storylines missions and content but I thought they were overpriced at $20 each. So you're talking to the wrong guy.
I never discussed pricing.
All I'm doing is refuting your statement. SR4 didn't start as DLC.

Thr33X

Aug 23, 2013
Saints Row 4 had already been in it's early stages of development after THQ released SRTT. The Enter The Dominatrix DLC was scrubbed because they chose to instead incorporate it into the next game instead because it would have been a waste of resources (plus by that time it was already looking as of THQ was on life support). In fact, what was going to be the original Enter The Dominatrix DLC is whatever way they make it so going to be DLC for SR4, so for all of you who are STILL saying that SR4 is glorified DLC, you need to get your facts straight. Just because that ADDED the story elements of the DLC into the new game doesn't make the new game DLC. Unless of course you're just plain ignorant to logic and the fact that try as you will you don't know the business practices or development cycle of Volition, so stop fooling yourselves.

SR3 and 4 are in the same city, so of course it's gonna have the same assets...duh. So did Saints Row 1 & 2, so does that make 2 glorified DLC of SR1? I guess that means as was stated in a previous post that ALL sequels are just DLC of the previous game, huh?

Bottom line, the game is fun to play, and that's all that matters. Or at least it's fun to play for those who enjoy the change that Volition made to the franchise. Heck, for those of you die-hards out there who choose NOT to play it because of it's changes, I can say having only gotten through 10% of the game so far that I've caught a couple of subtle references in the game that basically troll you in saying "we know we changed the game...deal with it."

And that's the kind of self-aware brilliance that makes Saints Row freaking awesome.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
A funny thing happened with Saint's Row The Third
"40 weeks of DLC" promised, and the game was a turd
So, "forgive and forget?
They haven't ripped us off yet!"

'Cause that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Not hating the fans, but I don't trust a company that adds cheat codes and other generally included content as paid DLC.
"Sorry, want salt on those fries, that'll be 5¢ more."
"Ice in your soda? 20¢".
"You wanted that burger cooked? $2 extra."

B-B-B-but it's just $2.25 more. Get a job! LOL OMG DON'T BE SO ENTITLED!!!1!11! D:<

If you want to pay extra for things like that, or support companies that pull that kind of crap, go right ahead. As for me, they can kiss my rosy, well-toned ass.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
The Madman said:
Just finished Saints Row 4 the other day, the main story that is, there are still quite a few side missions and challenges and such I haven't done. Whatever the case it was good!

If you liked Saints Row before you'll probably like Saints Row 4. Honestly I'm just baffled where the developers could possibly go from here unless they turn Saints Row 5 into some insane galactic exploration game... which could be awesome. Hmm...
Eh.

They have time travel now, they can go anywhere, do anything, and it could be legitimately a part of canon.

There's still plenty of places they could take the series, assuming they continue. I vaguely remember hearing that SR4 was going to be the last one, though I have no idea how truthful that is.

Mr.PlanetEater

May 17, 2009
I've heard that Saints Row IV is the last Saints Row game to deal with this specific group of characters, and that Saints Row V will just start fresh with a new gang/cast. Don't know whether these are valid claims or not, but it would be interesting if they were true.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Agayek said:
Eh.

They have time travel now, they can go anywhere, do anything, and it could be legitimately a part of canon.

There's still plenty of places they could take the series, assuming they continue. I vaguely remember hearing that SR4 was going to be the last one, though I have no idea how truthful that is.
Yeah, I've heard that as well. On one hand it'll be sad to see the cast go, for a bunch of comedy characters I'm surprisingly fond of some of them and 'The Boss' is a ton of fun to play as, puckish rogue that he/she is.

But then again everything's gotta end eventually, might as well bring it to a close now. Saints Row 4 is as good an ending as one could expect for a cast like that.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
KevinHe92 said:
It's funny how many people say that 'graphics don't matter' and when they realize the graphics are similar to Saints Row TT they start whining. And boy...do they whine.

I'm actually NOT going to play this, because the Australian release has been absolutely fucking atrocious (as far as my knowledge goes, it's being delayed until AFTER GTA V) so it's lost my vote. I'll definitely pick it up on a sale if it runs well on PC. Otherwise I'll just YouTube the funny bits.
It definitely runs fairly well on PC, though not perfectly. I just beat it the other day and in the 15-20 odd hours I put into it, I had only one technical issue, where the game froze halfway through the final mission. There were a few weird camera issues, but those would have happened on console as well, so /shrug.

Also, you aussies need to like burn down Parliament or something so that they'll stop being such dicks with game releases. That was the cause of the delay, last I heard at least.

saluraropicrusa

undercover bird
Feb 22, 2010
imahobbit4062 said:
I can't find a single outfit I like wearing in Saints Row 2 now. I've checked all the stores multiple times and the quality of clothing is complete shit compared to The Thirds.
Yeah, pretty much. Whereas in 3 and 4 I often have a hard time deciding which awesome clothes/outfit I want my character to wear.
(Current outfit in 4: Disco)

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
cloroxbb said:
ShinyCharizard said:
Yeah I'm not interested. Saints Row has become far too stupid and goofy and it isn't even remotely funny or fun.
Wow, I thought just about anyone could have fun with this series. Hopefully your opinion is from experience rather than just cynicism.
Yeah it's from experience.

4RM3D

May 10, 2011
So people are complaining that SR4 looks too much like SR3?

Hmmm, where have I heard that before? *cough* Call of Duty *cough*

At least it's not a dark, brown, depressing, generic, crappy, modern warfare shooter. Because then I would have complained (with the exception of Spec Ops: The Line).

Adultism

Karma Haunts You
Jan 5, 2011
The Madman said:
Adultism said:
It is a huge rip off.

I'd also like to state despite being a rip off I LOVE it. When a game references pop culture it really gets me. So yeah it did rip off a bunch of games and pop culture but that doesn't mean its bad.
There's a pretty big difference between ripping something off and paying homage to or parodying something, which is something Saints Row 4 does frequently.

Or did you mean a rip-off money-wise?
I'd say its a rip off and a reference to the said culture its ripping off. Its kinda like a love hate relationship.

aguspal

Aug 19, 2012
4RM3D said:
So people are complaining that SR4 looks too much like SR3?

Hmmm, where have I heard that before? *cough* Call of Duty *cough*

At least it's not a dark, brown, depressing, generic, crappy, modern warfare shooter. Because then I would have complained (with the exception of Spec Ops: The Line).

Funny that you say that, I would rather play COD than this Saints Row thing...

Not my cup of tea I guess. I dunno, its... something is just off.

It tries to be funny but it kinda fails pretty bad at it... I normally wouldt be annoyed, but the game TRIES SO FUCKING HARD... It does certainly annoy me.

That, and it also runs like shit on my computer. Of course that migth be my fault, but I highly doubt it would change my overall opinion...

Lets just say: Its playable but I rather play some other games.