Demon's Souls

eels05

Jun 11, 2009
If Shattered memories gets banned here I'll lose the small scrap of confidence I had in the classification board to at least make 'semi' consistant decisions.

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
"But the time I have for playing games for a review is limited. When I'm killed and have to start over from half an hour ago, that's about an hour of wasted time. That's what made me angry about Demon's Souls. Every single time I pushed a little bit further, some new, dirty trick would be pulled and I'd have to re-play through the same dirty tricks that led up to it. And I'd get angrier and more hasty each time, increasing the likelihood of being killed by one of the earlier traps I thought I'd mastered."

Word of advice: Never, ever play Supaplex.

Ever.

This occurred to me constantly with every level that was remotely difficult in the game, to the point of extreme frustration and it taking me 2 or 2 and a half hours to complete a level whose implementation takes a total of 6 minutes when I perform everything well.

kahlzun

Sep 9, 2009
simply spamming him or sending hatemail will not help the issue, we've got to ensure that we send rational, well-thought out messages, or he'll just use us as examples of 'rabid gamers' that have been 'poisoned by the M-rating'.

Rayansaki

May 5, 2009
LordWalter said:
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Extra Punctuation: Demon's Souls

The problem with Demon's Souls isn't that it's hard, but that it purposefully wastes player's time.

Read Full Article
ahaha, I am, in fact, quite proud of my letter:

Subject: Legal Question on Acquiring Public-Affairs Permit

Greetings Mr. Atkinson,

I was wondering what the legal process would be for reserving a large area on public property in order to hold a community event. This year, the C.F.L.D.C will be hosting a rousing book-burning on the lawn of city hall. Coincidentally we will also be going through several works of world literature and drawing giant black Xes on anything that might make someone feel uncomfortable. We will then proceed to censor all other great works of cinema and video gaming and make sure that all incidences of violence, sex, or creativity are replaced by unicorns and rainbows. After all, how would children know about violence if we never TELL them? This is why times in the past pre-videogaming were so idyllic (Ah, to live again in the halcyon days of the dark ages, world wars, and near-nuclear annihilation!) This has clearly been shown to drastically reduce all manner of violent crime and deviant behavior in society (please ignore all those fancy "Scientists" and "Statisticians" in their ivory towers whose libertine "Scientific Methods" of study have found no such link whatsoever and claimed the media is merely scapegoating as a way of avoiding any analysis of serious sociological issues.) I applaud your continued resistance against public opinion and the concept of free speech. It is good to see that someone at least cares about the messages we pass on to our children

Sincerely,

- Walter A. Silveira
Chairman of the C.F.L.D.C (Censorship and Fascist Luddite Douchebags Committee)

P.S. Don't you just LOVE the game Yahtzee?
I'm proud of mine aswell:

To: [email protected]
Subject: In-Depth and thorough assessment on adult-only rating
It's needed.

dfcrackhead

Apr 14, 2009
The Escapist Community Vs. Atkinson. The showdown of the century...It's about time Australia got into a war

Pillypill

Aug 7, 2009
Is that his real emial? if so i would be happy to send a complaint garnished with swear words to him.

I just completed demon souls, it was crap. =[

curryinc

May 1, 2008
Anarex said:
just well, disappointed. Go back to his review on Explosion Man. There is a part where is gets upset at the game offering to allow him to skip a level and he responds "You will not beat me." That was the gamer I thought Yahtzee was. The gamer that rises to a challenge and gets a great sense of accomplishment from beating that challenge. He is just not the person I thought he was and thats a little disheartening.
LOL you can't be serious

that is one of the saddest, most loserish things i've ever read

Telekinesis

Apr 26, 2008
Yahtzee just comes off as a giant baby if you ask me.

It seems he was butthurt about the game kicking his ass, and felt his manliness was mocked or something, because his death "wasn't funny", unlike in IWBTG.

As for the checkpoints/difficulty system bitching... Grow a pair. I'm not gonna go all reviewer-ish on him, but come on. That's the point of the game.
That's like saying "hhurrr durr mega man 9 is TOO HARD give it a checkpoint every screen and an easy difficulty system so that I can say I beat the game and get to the AWESOMEEEE ENDING"

The Deadpool

Dec 28, 2007
snowman6251 said:
Because it was only one short segment. It was a total of about maybe 5 minutes of gameplay that I had to repeat until I did it perfectly and was allowed to pass.
But that's just my point. You went through hours of gameplay without dying, and then this one 5 minute segment is repeated an obscene amount of time... How many? 5? 10? Half hour to an hour of constantly dying and retrying in the same spot, redoing the same moves, watching the same attacks, until the game brown beats into your head what it wants you to do.

Is that truly the superior way?

solidstatemind said:
Yes, I did live in fear of death-- via suspension of disbelief.
There's a difference between suspension of disbelief (which btw, means accepting the in game reality as your own for a short period of time. Of course the in game reality accepts that your character CAN'T DIE) and forcing yourself to feel fear at will without any reason.

Hey, if you can control your emotions like that, awesome for you, but it says nothing for the quality of game design. Fact is Bioshock (and MANY other games) give you NOTHING to fear. You can talk about how you got scared anyways to your hearts content, and it won't change that.

solidstatemind said:
so don't feel like I'm flaming you, ok?
Don't sweat it. No disclaimers needed here.

solidstatemind said:
The following is absolutely, unimpeachably true: virtually any animal can be trained to accomplish a series of tasks if the trainers spend enough time and effort. Therefore, the 'mechanic' you are all defending is simply a measure of endurance... in this case, endurance of punishment for failure.
Are you sure you're arguing AGAINST me? Isn't the usual chekpoint filled, try the same 5 minute segment over and over again for an hour game the one that measure your endurance? Isn't "you messed up this, do it again and again and again" the way one trains a simple animal how to do a task? When you trrain a dog to go through a circuit, you don't train him to do the whole course at once. You train each step one by one first, make sure he gets it right.

You'll have an easier time training a dog to play Bioshock (where if you move foward and push the shooot button for a long enough time, you WILL win eventually) than training a child to play Demon's Souls.

Fact is, anyone who's played the game can attest to this, you DON'T die as often as you do in games like God of War. The difference is the deaths MATTER here. You fear them, you do your best to dodge them, and when you die in a place, you make damn well sure you don't do it again.

It is rare that one dies in the same spot more than once. Thus the game teaches you without repetition...

solidstatemind said:
on each independant iteration, how can you truly differentiate between the person who skillfully overcame the obstacles, and the person who happened to be lucky enough to hit the right button (infinite monkeys, infinite typewriters aside)? If you can't, what are you really proving? That you're probably better than everyone else?
Who's proving anything to anyone?

Although if you wanna know the difference, it's simple. You play, say, Call of Duty, and you can get past 80% of the game normally, and the last 20% by the infinite monkeys and infinite typewriters method of gameplay. And plenty of people HAVE. I doubt anyone's passed a single stage of Demon's Souls without getting genuinely better. I doubt anyone's passes a stage based entirely on luck.

I'm not talking about, as a player, proving myself anyone's better. I'm talking about as GAME DESIGN, having player victory based solely on player skill is superior to having it based on luck and willingness to try the same 5 minute segment over and over again until the dice line up.

Despite popular belief, I'm a busy man. I work 40 hour weeks on top of some semblance of a social life my girlfriend insists on us having. I also have little patience for repetition. I'd rather walk for an hour than sit in trafic for an hour. So repeating the same 5 minute piece of a game over and over again until the AI feels like being nice, or I luck out enough last minute dodges is not my style.

solidstatemind said:
The truth is that the 'long time between savepoints' is a cheap way for game developers to make their product appear to last longer, but ultimately, it's the same mechanic at work while you play Solitare, for fuck's sake! "Eventually, you'll get it right." I find no satisifaction in that.
The more I read, the more I'm convinced you never played the game. On ym first playthrough, I had to redo maybe half the stages. And even those maybe one or two were redone more than twice.

It's not about repetition like people seem to think.

The game's harsh punishment for death is offset by death being easily avoidable for someone with care and patience. Hand-eye coordination helps, but not running blindly around the corner will keep you alive far more often than quick dodging will...

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
I think the problem with an 18 rating in games, is the same problem with the AO (or is it A?) rating in America. Stores will refuse out-right to stock the product because of fears that it may be sold to people who are under-aged.

Instead of an age rating, instead of slapping higher and higher age ratings and guessing "well, this will solve it", maybe we need to stick to Film ratings but state on the front cover what is in the game? Maybe instead of mothers going out, picking up a game little Johnny at home wants so much (oh never-mind reading everything through), they acknowledge fully without having to read the back that the game contains sex, violence and so on. Maybe small ratings of the excessiveness of each of the "nasty things"? Or maybe I'm just over-complicating it, who knows?

Personally though, we need to stop sitting on our high-horse. Computer games aren't going to turn children into violent creatures who stalk the night kicking cats, unless people's parents forget to teach their children this important lesson. However, at least personally, parents are becoming more and more laid back in their discipline. I'm not saying go force children to their rooms without food or water with nothing to do for not saying grace at a meal. However, if a child acts out at school or at home at all, maybe smashes something or tells a teacher to die in a fire, then discipline needs to be up-held. Just sending the child to their room to play games with hopes that they'll change and be a good child in the future isn't the way to do it. It was never the way to do it ever.

The way I see it is there are two parts for someone to become anti-social. The "reasoning" and the "inspiration". Now, for the reasoning to occur, there needs to be no moral boundaries stopping them. However, since parents don't know how to discipline their kids, this isn't happening. The other one is inspiration. Now, stopping inspiration is harder than you think. You'd need to cut out all media and maybe you stand half a chance, and you don't need to be a professor of sociology or psychology to know that it's borderline impossible without causing major mental stagnation and development problems.

Fuhjem

Jan 17, 2009
s69-5 said:
Fuhjem said:
But we are legion.
We do not forgive,
and we do not forget.
These ghosts will haunt you, Mr. Atkinson.
This part makes you seem psychopathic. I would cut it. unless of course you want Atkinson to add more fuel to the fire and claim a gamer/ satanic link.

From the Wiki:
"Legion, the demon of Gadarenes, appears frequently as a character in popular culture. The Christian New Testament gospels of Mark, Luke and Matthew describe an incident in which Jesus meets a man, or men, possessed by demons who, when asked what their name is, respond:

Mark 5:9 "My name is Legion, for we are many."
Me = Not Aware of this.

Should fix that.

Fuhjem

Jan 17, 2009
This more appropriate?

Fuhjem said:
Dear Mr. Atkinson,

While you may believe that gamers and game enthusiasts alike are just a small minority composed of small, helpless children; the real world is quite the contrary.
In the real world, gamers count for around 70% of the worlds population. That 70% counts for human beings of ages from 5 to 33. Thirty-Three years old is not a child, and should be treated as an adult.
A percentage, as you hopefully know, is nothing more than a fancy fraction. 49/100 would be a minority. 50/100 would be an equilibrium. 51/100 is a majority. We account for 70/100. That is MUCH, much more than what is the bare minimum for a majority.

Now I don't know much about how math works in Australia, I'm from another country, but in reality 70% is a very large Majority and you should listen to that majority.
We know of your false promises to allow games an 18+ rating after re-elections. We do not believe them.
Australian gamers, who make up MUCH more of your population than you may think, will not let you be re-elected.

Now, please, enjoy the hot steaming load in your inbox.

Chunko

Aug 2, 2009
Dys said:
williebaz said:
I'm going to spam micheal atkinson now.

[email protected]
I'd be amazed if he didn't have a filter or possibly someone to sort through all the hatemail. Even though he's a douche, he doesn't have unlimited time.

Fuhjem said:
Do you guys think that this is a good letter for Mr. Atkinson?
Fuhjem said:
Dear Mr. Atkinson,

While you may believe that gamers and game enthusiasts alike are just a small minority composed of small, helpless children; the real world is quite the contrary.
In the real world, gamers count for around 70% of the Australias population. That 70% counts for human beings of ages from 5 to 33. Thirty-Three years old is not a child, and should be treated as an adult.
A percentage, as you hopefully know, is nothing more than a fancy fraction. 49/100 would be a minority. 50/100 would be an equilibrium. 51/100 is a majority. We account for 70/100. That is MUCH, much more than what is the bare minimum for a majority.

Now I don't know much about how math works in Australia, I'm from another country, but in reality 70% is a very large Majority and you should listen to that majority.
We know of your false promises to allow games an 18+ rating after re-elections. We do not believe them.
But we are legion.
We do not forgive,
and we do not forget.

Tell me what you think.
Change 'worlds population' to Australias, 70% of the worlds population do not play videogames, that's an outrageous claim (the majority of the worlds population are, in fact, living in poverty). I'd probably cut the anonymus part tool, enough people have been threatening him and it's acheived nothing.
I doubt he has a filter for this, how could he tell what's spam and what's not.

Chunko

Aug 2, 2009
Vivendel said:
I tried a different approach ;)

Pretty much every government in the world think so (including my own Norwegian government). Maybe you should reconsider too?

Sincerely yours,
Vivendel
I just lied and said I was Australian.

Dys

Sep 10, 2008
williebaz said:
Dys said:
williebaz said:
I'm going to spam micheal atkinson now.

[email protected]
I'd be amazed if he didn't have a filter or possibly someone to sort through all the hatemail. Even though he's a douche, he doesn't have unlimited time.

Fuhjem said:
Do you guys think that this is a good letter for Mr. Atkinson?
Fuhjem said:
Dear Mr. Atkinson,

In the real world, gamers count for around 70% of the Australias population. That 70% counts for human beings of ages from 5 to 33. Thirty-Three years old is not a child, and should be treated as an adult.

But we are legion.
We do not forgive,
and we do not forget.

Tell me what you think.
Change 'worlds population' to Australias, 70% of the worlds population do not play videogames, that's an outrageous claim (the majority of the worlds population are, in fact, living in poverty). I'd probably cut the anonymus part tool, enough people have been threatening him and it's acheived nothing.
I doubt he has a filter for this, how could he tell what's spam and what's not.
There would have to be some sort of filter, perhaps blocking specific phrases, otherwise he'd literally spend all his time sorting through his mail (I can assure you a great many vocal Australians would email him, most of which would be abusive dribble).

Sterence

Apr 15, 2009
Telekinesis said:
Yahtzee just comes off as a giant baby if you ask me.

It seems he was butthurt about the game kicking his ass, and felt his manliness was mocked or something, because his death "wasn't funny", unlike in IWBTG.

As for the checkpoints/difficulty system bitching... Grow a pair. I'm not gonna go all reviewer-ish on him, but come on. That's the point of the game."
Did you even listen to what he said in his review? It was something like "Yes the game is difficult but it doesn't seem like I've been given much of a chance here" he is saying it's a bad game because they made it hard on purpose, if im playing a game and i cant beat a certain part and have to repeat it alot it doesn't seem very entertaining. Progressing through a game and getting to the ending with a challenge is entertaining but if that doesn't seem achievable then what's the point in continuing?