Destiny Takes GOTY, Confuses Audience, at This Year's BAFTAs

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
ive definitely got a problem with it winning Best Game, and i say that as someone who still plays it. its fun, but mostly just with friends. Borderlands is much the same way. a game with bare bones story that isnt particularly fun and exciting unless youre playing with a group of friends should not be getting GOTY awards. whenever i play Destiny alone, i just feel like im grinding.

also, to everyone who has a problem with the other winners and nominees, please remember that 2014 was the first year after the release of the new consoles. this always results in lackluster and disappointing titles that have been a bit rushed out of the gate. this year will have some real contenders like The Witcher 3, Bloodborne, Batman: Arkham Knight, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Halo 5: Guardians, Below, Inside, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Quantum Break, Star Wars: Battlefront, Rainbow Six: Siege, The Division, No Man's Sky, Mortal Kombat X, the next Zelda title, etc. and Ori and the Blind Forest recently came out, which has gotten great reviews.

point is, they didnt have a whole lot to work with this year. the only travesties i see are Destiny's victory and Transister (like Bastion a few years ago) not being nominated for Best Music.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Vigormortis said:
Everyone's caught up on Destiny and The Last of Us DLC winning. But my question is: How in the ever-loving hell did League of Legends win best persistent title? Dota 2 and SMITE did SO MUCH MORE over the year - for their respective player bases, communities, and for e-sports in general. Hell, I'd even argue that World of Tanks did more last year. What the fuck did LoL do to top them?

Gads, and here I thought the BAFTA's were one of the few awards shows that occasionally "got" what made great video games great. How wrong I was, apparently. Oh well.
One better question is: what a hell is a persistent game? Because, if all it takes is to have a user account that persists among play instances, then COD is also a persistent game. I would say MMOs are more of persistent games, since they exist outside anyone's playthroughs.

If they only invented the words to award someone in the genre, I would guess what LoL did is money. Lots of money. Not that the other ones were not successful, just that they didn't make as much money... Or (and that would also explain the LoU DLC and Destiny awards), the judges are a handful of people with a pretty narrow view of the industry, so they awarded LoL because that is what they knew.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
hermes200 said:
One better question is: what a hell is a persistent game? Because, if all it takes is to have a user account that persists among play instances, then COD is also a persistent game. I would say MMOs are more of persistent games, since they exist outside anyone's playthroughs.

If they only invented the words to award someone in the genre, I would guess what LoL did is money. Lots of money. Not that the other ones were not successful, just that they didn't make as much money... Or (and that would also explain the LoU DLC and Destiny awards), the judges are a handful of people with a pretty narrow view of the industry, so they awarded LoL because that is what they knew.
This could be true, but given how much games like World of Tanks and Dota 2 rake in, I'm dubious that that was the sole factor. Hell, the amount of money Dota 2 made during TI4 alone is staggering.

I feel the 'narrow view' hypothesis is more likely.

r0seyp0m

Oct 11, 2012
Scarim Coral said:
I still confuse why Monument Valley was in it since didn't it came out a year ago?
Well, League of Legends made it into the awards and that came out 6 years ago. In other words, these awards mean absolutely nothing.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Lemme think. In 2014, Nintendo published Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2, Super Smash Bros., and Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker. Ubisoft had Far Cry 4, South Park: The Stick of Truth, Trials Fusion, and Child of Light. Various indie devs made Threes, The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, Shovel Knight, Freedom Planet, and Five Nights at Freddy's. Hell, even Activision themselves had Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare[footnote]Yeah I know it's just another CoD, nothing special at all. But it has more actual gameplay and less senseless grinding than Destiny, and if I had to play just one of the two, I'd pick CoD every time.[/footnote]. All of these games are better than Destiny, and not a one of them got a single award.

But even aside from their ridiculous choice of winner, it's hard to take BAFTA's awards seriously. Not when Minecraft and LoL are present. I think it's safe to just ignore these awards altogether if this is how they're gonna be.

P.S. Thanks

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
Covarr said:
Lemme think. In 2014, Nintendo published Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2, Super Smash Bros., and Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker. Ubisoft had Far Cry 4, South Park: The Stick of Truth, Trials Fusion, and Child of Light. Various indie devs made Threes, The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, Shovel Knight, Freedom Planet, and Five Nights at Freddy's. Hell, even Activision themselves had Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare[footnote]Yeah I know it's just another CoD, nothing special at all. But it has more actual gameplay and less senseless grinding than Destiny, and if I had to play just one of the two, I'd pick CoD every time.[/footnote]. All of these games are better than Destiny, and not a one of them got a single award.

But even aside from their ridiculous choice of winner, it's hard to take BAFTA's awards seriously. Not when Minecraft and LoL are present. I think it's safe to just ignore these awards altogether if this is how they're gonna be.

P.S. Thanks
I was thinking about making a list of games that should have won instead but you are missing Wolfenstein and Dragon Age Inquisition but besides that good list

zumbledum

Nov 13, 2011
Barbas said:
Drugs at the BAFTAS! DRUGS AT THE BAFTAS!

That really is a load of monkey trumpets, though. I find myself somewhat peeved that other outstandingly good games were robbed of the chance. HashtagTheBastards.

I think thats very unfair, i have taken damn near every mind altering substance known to man and none of them account for this shit, Money my friend, Money. That could be the cause , but dont lay this shit at drugs doors!

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
There's a lot wrong with Desinty, but I think this video shows off what is perhaps my biggest complain:
I know the game was over-hyped and was therefore pretty much destined to be disappointing, but the devs did blatantly lie about the game to the point where I was sure Peter Molyneux was secretly running the dev team.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
zumbledum said:
Barbas said:
Drugs at the BAFTAS! DRUGS AT THE BAFTAS!

That really is a load of monkey trumpets, though. I find myself somewhat peeved that other outstandingly good games were robbed of the chance. HashtagTheBastards.

I think thats very unfair, i have taken damn near every mind altering substance known to man and none of them account for this shit, Money my friend, Money. That could be the cause , but dont lay this shit at drugs doors!
I would like to lol many times to this, but that would seem a little pointless. So here's a sentence explaining that.

PsiChaos

Nothing Interesting Here
Feb 21, 2015
I haven't played Destiny to fairly judge it, but I've heard plenty bad things about it, at least enough where it convinced me not to buy it. I would have assumed it shouldn't have won GOTY when other games like Bayonetta 2 or Far Cry 4 had a far more favorable reception. Guess Bungie/Activision throws some pretty hype parties in the UK.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Charcharo said:
Lets say that the experience I got as a fan of games of the same type as Infinite (Metro, Half Life, RTCW and TNO), my love for games Infinite tried to emulate a bit and failed (Serious Same, Painkiller) the things I saw on E3s and the INCREDIBLE potential at display there, the interest I have in American Exceptionalism ans certain themes and Science Fiction...
Infinite annoyed me on all these fronts. And then it gets GOTY awards... and Metro which I had SKY HIGH expectations for (it managed to actually EXCEED them)... did not.
I am uncertain of which Metro is the one you speak; Metro 2033 is fantastic! On ranger mode, it has to be my favourite FPS survival experience so far. But Infinite left me meloncholy, and thinking. Which is more than i can say for Metro. (Pointless opinion for the archives ;) )

camazotz

Jul 23, 2009
Bah, there are only two camps on Destiny out there: people who love it and play it, and those who ***** about it online.

Destiny is a great game imo although I'm not a fan of the Crucible stuff. The number of people who can say "I played and love this game for the first 100 hours then it turned to shit" says more about Destiny's problem with keeping the endgame going through grind....me, I'm very casual, don't have enough time to play a game to death and learn to hate it, so this award makes sense to me.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
so DLC got two awards and a re-release of a port got another. Its quite obviuos these people had no idea what they were doing.

Then again, this is BAFTA, the group of people that know nothing about games, are supposed to rate movies and TV, but still try to get "on the hip thing"

May 29, 2011
You know for a second there it looked like the game of the year award might go to a game that's actually good.

What were they smoking?