Destiny Won't Launch on PC Because it Would be Too Much Work

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
Ferisar said:
"Boohoo my PC can't play this game, bet it's a bad game doe, huehue" is what I'm reading a lot of in this thread. OBVIOUSLY if they're TOO LAZY to release a game on five platforms, it's going to blow massive amounts of phalli. :D Choo choo, hype-train off-boarding at Expectationsville.

Vault101 said:
I swear it's gotten worse this new gen

I mean watch dogs looks mildly interesting but this and Titanfall?
Ah, yes. That completely incomprehensible feeling of generating excitement to sell something. How unthinkable and devious. Lovecraftian, even. NON-EUCLIDEAN HYPEOMETRY - the Hyper in the Dark.
Seems I'm doing alot of "My thoughts exactly" when I post. It's not my fault so many share my opinion and say it first. Yeah seems the PC crowd isn't thrilled to be left out. Still there have been many PC first games that later get PC ports.
Alot of anger and some resentment towards Bungie. Which pretty much makes me think this:

ecoho said:
ok guys first rule of getting a PC version of a game don't ***** because you get it later, lets face it your the tougher crowed. if the game doesn't have FOV sliders and only runs at 60fps it would be (rightly) lynched by the PC community, so give them a reasonable amount of time to bring out a port and if they screw it up or don't do one after say 5 months of no news THEN you rip them a new one(that's 5 months after it releases on consoles).
In the end, I think people should "wait and see" How often do we hear that it's not going to happen, and then it does. I don't see why anyone would avoid making more sales.

gittonsxv

Mar 29, 2011
i read that as
"there is too many consoles for us to work on so we have to cut stuff"
which is kind of bad to be honest.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
People, I think you're missing the point here - The reason why it's not launching on the PC is COMPETITION!

Think about it, Destiny is an MMO, of which there are very few on consoles, and pretty much none of them are shooters (AFAIK). On the other hand, the PC market is saturated with MMOs, with a number of shooters in the mix as well (Planetside 2 comes to mind). I can totally see their logic - on consoles they are practically a unique product. On the PC they'd be entering a cutthroat market, fighting for a slice of the pie. And they estimated that, at least initially, the extra cost of making a PC port isn't worth that.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
Strazdas said:
well, he claims that the problem is not the porting but the bug-testing, so at least he claims hes taking the bug testing seriuosly, which is.... refreshingly honest.
On the other hand, your taking your time to test it on the dreadful PS3 system and life support Eggsbox 360 and you cant do it on PC? How about dropping the obsolete platforms instead of the leaders?

Though Bungie, as a "Hardcore PC fans" you should know that the reason PC people will hate you is that you delayed the launch for the main platform.

BrotherRool said:
Shooters are actually a lot more popular on console than PC, at least in the US. Nearly 3 times more popular on consoles even. The PC market is pretty dominated by strategy games, then casual (possibly indie?) games and then RPGs. Shooter are on level with Action-Adventure for the PC. (Surprisingly they're not the most popular genre on consoles either. That goes to Action-Adventure, but at console shooters still take up 20% of the market)
the report takes only last year sales. On PC you dont have to buy new COD every year. we still play COD4 (the best one), CS (all versions), TF2, Blacklight Rettribution, Planetside, ect that simply got ommited. COnsidering that PC shooter tournaments have up to 100 times higher audience/participation i have heavy doubts about it being more popular on consoles. Not to mentino that ESA is using retailers and steam does not disclose its numbers, which is why pretty much any site reporting on sales on PC under-report it.

Zachary Amaranth said:
That's a charitable estimate. I don't even think most people know anything about this besides "from the makers of halo!"
the trailers look cook. emphasis on "look". as in i expect graphics to be all there is to this game.

Clowndoe said:
Why are people offended by this as if Bungie was giving the finger to each PC gamer personally? Seems like there's a myth going around that programmers work a day then take the week off. It makes absolutely no sense to say they're just being lazy. Game makers are hourly like the rest of us, and in a way it doesn't matter to them how much content is in the game. They're not putting it on PC so it can come out to their main audience at a more reasonable date and so they can focus on making it stable on a few platforms.
by not realeasing a game on PC meanwhile keeping up the life support on Eggsbox360 and PS3 they ARE giving the finger to every PC gamer.
And main market? PC IS the main market for FPS and MMO.

ecoho said:
ok guys first rule of getting a PC version of a game don't ***** because you get it later, lets face it your the tougher crowed. if the game doesn't have FOV sliders and only runs at 60fps it would be (rightly) lynched by the PC community, so give them a reasonable amount of time to bring out a port and if they screw it up or don't do one after say 5 months of no news THEN you rip them a new one(that's 5 months after it releases on consoles).
Just because there are people that will gladgly eat shit does not mean that people who refuse to do so are "tough crowd". FOV sliders or at least decent (read: minimum 90) FOV should be mandatory for ANY game on ANY platform. Oh, and 60 FPS is the standart for PCs now so we wont complain if it runs like that. You know, these kind of graphical options that are asked by PC community gets modded into games in a matter of hours when its missing right? A single guy does it in couple hours, for free. and they have huge budgets and whole teams and cant do that? Oh, please.

And no, there is no reason why a PC version should be late (and not a PC port, PC version, because ports are just bad on any platform (remember oblivion on PS3?)).

PC is the lowest in playerbase, lowest in profit(games sell for less), and as you have proven are a harder sell then consoles. face it man all this bitching is just proving them right by excluding the PC market.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
I'm honestly not even remotely bothered by this, those that were forcefully PC only on here will complain regardless, I can't even see many here PC only grabbing this even if it does come out, the game itself just seems more geared towards last and current gen, the Wii U has missed out on so much crap over the past two years, one title like this isn't going to really matter all that much, saying that it will means you've obviously come across some time machine and came back from the future.

Oh I can't wait for that usual reply I know I'm going to receive from that certain someone

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
Devs say 'Putting our game on PC is too much work' all I hear is 'Making our game good is too much work'.

You know, since you're putting it on 360 and PS3.

Arkham

Esoteric Cultist
Jan 22, 2009
I'd like to think that the more dedicated PC gamers understand the challenges of developing for their platform of choice. Every console has the same hardware configuration as its kin, with some minor variations for increasingly slimmer models, while PCs have a myriad of possible configurations. It's not the sort of issue one can just throw money at to solve.

SweetWarmIce

Jun 1, 2009
I think that's fair enough. 4 platforms + PC would just make it lesser for all versions. There are still heaps of 360 and PS3 consoles around so it makes sense to develop for them. They can just port it to PC later.

Sep 13, 2009
Oh wow is this making people pissy. Does this reaction come up every time a game isn't released for the PC?

OT: This probably won't effect me much, it'll be a couple years from now before I can afford a computer that could run it decently anyways. While I'm glad that it's coming out on the older systems, it makes me wonder what's the point of the next gen consoles when all that seems to be done with them is playing shinier current gen games.

As someone who routinely plays gamecube, ps2, or psone games, I can deal with my games not being quite as shiny.
[sub]Well at least until The Last Guardian coerces me into buying a PS4[/sub]

EDIT:
ArkhamHorror said:
I'd like to think that the more dedicated PC gamers understand the challenges of developing for their platform of choice. Every console has the same hardware configuration as its kin, with some minor variations for increasingly slimmer models, while PCs have a myriad of possible configurations. It's not the sort of issue one can just throw money at to solve.
Yeah, that's one thing that I'm surprised hasn't been brought up much. I haven't done much real software development, but designing for the PC seems like such an absolute hassle. There's just so many considerations you need to make. You can't optimize for the hardware, you are designing it to be compatible with hundreds of GPU's and drivers. There's bound to be a whole plethora of bugs to dig through, and from all my experience in coding, finding and fixing bugs takes up the longest amount of time. And that's with a several thousand line program, not programs that are in the hundreds of thousands of lines.

Maybe this isn't as big of a deal as it seems like it could be, but given the difficulty that I've had getting a lot of games working on my computer, I don't imagine it's nearly as easy as working with uniform hardware

zumbledum

Nov 13, 2011
is it cross platform? they cant put the PC players in with consolers, thats been tried before and it wasnt pretty.

but then again first ive heard of this game and from the video posted not sure i care either way ;) between payday , warframe and loadout my rather limited FPS itch is well scratched

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Well there goes my dream on playing that game on the PC but I won't count on them given up on it that easily.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Kheapathic said:
A company says their next big game isn't gonna launch at the same time on PC and the Escapist community freaks; oh you don't say. I'm willing to bet that if/when Destiny does make it to PC, the same people crying foul and making poor arguments will be the ones claiming victory for having the superior version and wanting everyone to fellate their fully erect keyboards. This is probably a novel concept, but a big company that moves a lot of money usually have actuaries and other money/risk associated people. Those people probably have more experience and know-how then a forum full of crybabies. Let them do their job and learn to deal with your insecurities.
I'd say nope (to the novel concept), you're pretty spot on, I've seen the attitude here on many a website or PC reddit board, they'll typically slag the game off (almost like an animal showing typical behaviour patterns as a reaction) at first, they'll then slag off the other platforms, they'll then slag off the devs and most likely publisher (it's already happened on both pages so far so that's proof), then they'll most likely if anything find some ultra witty way to slag off users here who realise the reasons presented and the true indifference this causes (who am I kidding that's never going to happen here) in order to avoid getting a warning or banned, it happens a lot here too.

In the end though it's no surprise when this happens, but really it's become a bore to see the usual reactions to this kind of news, especially when an eventual port arrives I can tell like you said that they will no doubt claim some sort of imaginary worth of a victory, as if that somehow needed to be made known to all gamers of other platforms, apparently that's an urgent matter of principle in the efforts of "converting" others to their platform of choice or insulting those that don't comply, either way it's a meaningless attempt to slag others off as previously said.

You're most likely to have a retort from an obvious person on here as I am likely to as well, but I'm always quick to say from my view it'll make no great different when they do because I know what I've seen, they most certainly haven't seen what I've seen if they're to retort so it's just a waste of time if they were to, it would be better to move on and accept that this is their decision, not ours.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
Objectable said:
You know, I'm finding it interesting that this is the same exact excuse that the guys at CD Projeckt is using NOT to port Witcher 3.
Wait, what? Not even make a PC port later on? Well, there goes my drive to replay Witcher 1 and finally pick up Witcher 2.
(edit: Why you play me like a fool!? http://www.gamepur.com/news/13421-witcher-3-dev-comments-pc-vs-ps4xone-port-differences-wont-be-huge-theyre-b.html >:O)

OT: I can't say I'm entirely surprised. I know games are developed on PCs, but there are a lot of PCs out there that they have to account for, as opposed to consoles. I figure it's similar to why development for Android devices is longer than Apple devices.

Apr 28, 2008
Clowndoe said:
Why are people offended by this as if Bungie was giving the finger to each PC gamer personally? Seems like there's a myth going around that programmers work a day then take the week off. It makes absolutely no sense to say they're just being lazy. Game makers are hourly like the rest of us, and in a way it doesn't matter to them how much content is in the game. They're not putting it on PC so it can come out to their main audience at a more reasonable date and so they can focus on making it stable on a few platforms.
What he said. Like, damn people calm the hell down. They're doing all four console versions in-house. Most devs outsource one or two of the console ports, and the publisher generally helps with testing. Bungie's doing it on their own, most likely to ensure it lives up to their standards. They're not saying "fuck the PC" they're saying "yo we're working on four platforms let us get these done first". People need to chill.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Sarge034 said:
WouldYouKindly said:
Actually, I'm just sick of my particular gaming demographic being a goddamn afterthought to many devs.
Oh no. Your platform of choice is not being catered to RIGHT NOW, better go be PC elitist about it... Seriously, everyone gets the shaft at one point because their platform is not supported at all or is an afterthought. For the longest time consoles were being neglected in favor of PCs and now it has come full circle. At least they're considering a port after all this work is done, instead of just pumping out a shitty port to satisfy your gaming demographic for the short term. I wonder though, if they did just shit out a port would this same demographic be complaining that Bungie was just too lazy to take the time to make a good port...
Depends on their porting experience and relative resources. I didn't give From Software too much shit over their Dark Souls port because they'd never done it before and are a relatively small dev team. Also, they let the mod crew fix it. They did much better next time, although it's still not perfect, it's quite good. I don't think it's too much to ask for a game that works.

Oh, and finally, saying that the old consoles are horribly outdated is PC elitist rather than reality? Oh come on man. This past console generation lasting so long means there's a massive gulf in hardware between the old and the new. In order to get something that looks shiny on the new consoles but plays on the old takes a lot more effort than porting to PC should when you go from these new consoles.

Rodolphe Kourkenko

Dec 10, 2012
To be honest, the trailer wasn't impressive, just a prerendred demo (lile another game... oh yeah ! A:CM ^^ PS: it's a joke). And today they announce "the game can be made on PC but later"... Ok, i'm good, if i want a intersting FPS in coop, i play Borderlands 2.

Imo they're trying to make their place on console before launching on PC. Pc is a more challenging platform for FPS and MMO but they're betting a lot on consoles, after all, multiplayer is hidden behind a paywall...