Destiny Won't Launch on PC Because it Would be Too Much Work

JET1971

Apr 7, 2011
Wow lets support hardware the makers of the hardware want to phase out and go for the lowest common denominator, a game that could have been built as a PC exclusive 8 years ago rather than making the minimum todays consoles. Making games for a PS3 or 360 today is not a good thing for both console and PC gamers because it doesn't push what can be done and instead must be compatible with old hardware. And to think as a PC gamer I was looking forward to new titles having the PS4 and Xbox 1 being the lowest settings meaning my hardware will be put to good use.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Not launching on the PC is different than not being developed for the PC. But of course its always open invitation to mock consoles whenever they get something PC doesn't. And then the game will get mocked because its "ported" and thus "subpar". No wonder corporations don't seem to give a rats ass about customers sometimes when all they do is complain about the product no matter what state it might actually be in.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
ecoho said:
PC is the lowest in playerbase, lowest in profit(games sell for less), and as you have proven are a harder sell then consoles. face it man all this bitching is just proving them right by excluding the PC market.
oh, wow....

PC has install base that counts in hundreds of millions. Steam alone has install base 5 times the size of either console. There are FAR FAR FAR more gaming PCs out there than all current consoles combined.
Games are more profitable on PC, even EA financial reports say so. And it makes sense considering there is far less costs asociated with selling a game, publishers get much larger cuts and sales in fact are the most profitable period due to volume of items sold.

Yes, itis easier to sell on consoles. For one, they have far less of games to chose from, for two, they are the audience where a saying "you can sell them shit if you market it well" is true.

No, this rightful complaining is only proving them wrong for excluding. It is their loss, and a large one at that.

The Almighty Aardvark said:
Yeah, that's one thing that I'm surprised hasn't been brought up much. I haven't done much real software development, but designing for the PC seems like such an absolute hassle. There's just so many considerations you need to make. You can't optimize for the hardware, you are designing it to be compatible with hundreds of GPU's and drivers. There's bound to be a whole plethora of bugs to dig through, and from all my experience in coding, finding and fixing bugs takes up the longest amount of time. And that's with a several thousand line program, not programs that are in the hundreds of thousands of lines.
It hasnt been brought up because its wrong.
You can optimize the games code. there is no hardware optimizing. nor is there for either of the two new consoles. You are not making game compatible with any hardware. that is handled on user side. you are making it compatible with second layer software handlers (directX and the like). you program for them. you can probably count on your hand the people in whole world that can program something like this directly to hardware. and all of them are busy making these layers everyone else can program to. Everything else is handled by your engine, unless they made their own engine (didnt look) in which case yeah they will have to build that as well.

Finding bugs does take time, however they are already going through that process for 4 different machines, two of them using identical architecture. most of bugs found on those two can be fixed on PC as well.

The only games i had difficulty launching on my PC was either ones with known massive issues that was widespread (like world of tanks hilarity) or ones so old they still try to detect my OS and think its NT3.0 and does not understand why im not runnign a 15 year old Directx library.
(well ok, there was also Scarface, a 2006 game, that does nto run on new machines).

Kheapathic said:
This is probably a novel concept, but a big company that moves a lot of money usually have actuaries and other money/risk associated people. Those people probably have more experience and know-how then a forum full of crybabies. Let them do their job and learn to deal with your insecurities.
Step 1: look at big gaming industry history for the last 10 years.
Step 2: completely disregard what you just said.

Imperioratorex Caprae said:
Not launching on the PC is different than not being developed for the PC. But of course its always open invitation to mock consoles whenever they get something PC doesn't. And then the game will get mocked because its "ported" and thus "subpar". No wonder corporations don't seem to give a rats ass about customers sometimes when all they do is complain about the product no matter what state it might actually be in.
Oh yes, poor corporations, they only sit at the table and after fuillnig their bellies sweep the trash down for you and then tell you you deserved it because you dont want to eat shit. how terrible are PC gamers that want to have a product at the same time instead of getting the backhand half-finished ports a year too late.

nevarran

Apr 6, 2010
Fine by me, let other gamers do the beta-testing.
And if it happens to be good and comes to PC, I may give it a try.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
When they first announced Destiny, I was pretty excited, but everything that I have seen so far just makes me think that it looks like what Borderlands was going to be with realistic graphics, but without Borderland's charm. I have every faith in Bungie, and I love all of their games, but looking at the gameplay, it doesn't look like anything overly interesting.

I would have liked to have seen a PC port for Destiny, and recently the PC user base has only gone up, but I just think that choosing to develop for the Xbox 360 and PS3 over the PC was a huge misstep on Bungie's behalf.

El Luck

Jul 22, 2011
wait, you guys are gonna be releasing this game on the 360 and ps3? really? Oh god...the poor thing.

Not Lord Atkin

I'm dead inside.
Oct 25, 2008
read the article, then read this:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/134037-Analyst-PC-Has-Surpassed-Console-in-Terms-of-Revenue

now can anyone explain to me what's going on in Bungie's head?

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
I am now doubly amused after reading articles on other websites about Destiny and came across the tidbit that the inventory screen is cursor driven.

Just lol.

ghalleon0915

Feb 23, 2014
That's too bad, but I guess with the massive install base of the PS3 and Xbox 360 they seem confident they stand to gain more by developing for those platforms. Just too bad that pc isn't getting another title at launch, ah well.

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
Except for the graphics, Destiny doesn't seem to bring much more to the table than other MMO's like "Firefall" so far.

The most interesting thing was the abilities, but transitioning from first person to third person when doing those looks a bit weird.

CloudAtlas

Mar 16, 2013
I don't own a console, and I am somewhat interested in Destiny, but I don't know... I think I'll wait and see if Destiny actually turns out to be that good before I get upset about that. It's overly colourful art style and the recent batch of reviews is reason enough to curb my enthusiasm.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
Asclepion said:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-04-28-bungie-explains-why-theres-still-no-pc-version-of-destiny
"Destiny is Bungie's first multiplatform game in over a decade, and its first on a PlayStation platform."

Bungie made ONI, a game on the PS2 before they were bought by Microsoft. It arguably feels more like a Ghost in the Shell game than the actual Ghost in the Shell games.
I remember Yahtzee making a joke about a sequel... but, frankly, I really, really would like one.

The game was fun and interesting. Decent combat too.

OP: Well. I guess I'll just wait then. If I buy it at all, after the whole Marty incident.

Gary Thompson

Aug 29, 2011
Why don't they just drop porting it to the obsolete last gen consoles and just make it PC and next gen?

What's the point of having it on the last gen consoles? A Bungie game is a system seller for many people if I've ever seen on.

Spushkin

Nov 2, 2011
Whatever reasons for not doing a PC release at this time, I don't understand why people go crazy about PS3 and Xbox360 releases, when we are talking about a potential 100+ million consoles' market out there and only 1 (for each) hardware combination.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Glaice said:
Lazy lazy lazy excuse to not launch for PC alongside the console ports.
I imagine that AAA developers are deciding to at least stagger pc launches nowadays to encourage early console adoption which has a significantly lower rate of piracy than PC ips. If that's the case then we'll need to get used to hearing insanely bogus excuses like this one.

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
Well fuck you too again Bungie. PLayed first Halo on pc, great, Halo 2, i didnt have fucking Vista so nope.(to be fair prob more on microsofts part at the time) stayed on XP then upgrade to poopy OS, Halo 3 for PC ? lol like fuck. Id have to buy a 360 and play a FPS with a control pad ? They are lame and its all about the consoles......thou an mmo not on a pc is weird.

And i also dont see the point in putting it on 360 and ps3? Thought this was meant to be next gen, so either there is pretty much little to no diff in the power of these consoles or they full of crap and next gen is just a buzzword coz so far im seeing nothing "next gen" about this gen, my dam pc with my old 560ti is playing games prettier then these "next gen" and thats what next gen is right.....slightly better graphics.

FFMaster

May 13, 2009
Lightknight said:
Glaice said:
Lazy lazy lazy excuse to not launch for PC alongside the console ports.
I imagine that AAA developers are deciding to at least stagger pc launches nowadays to encourage early console adoption which has a significantly lower rate of piracy than PC ips. If that's the case then we'll need to get used to hearing insanely bogus excuses like this one.
Yeah people starting getting wise to the piracy excuse before, and they can't use it for this one as its a always online affair with accounts and the like. Expect even more spurious reasons in months to come for other games :/

Apr 5, 2008
As for those claiming that a PC port would be "easy" considering games are built on PCs in the first place, "It is not nearly as simple as you think," explained Parsons. "It is one central world no matter what the platform, and so that requires lots of intensive thought."
How can that be? I thought Microsoft were thoroughly against any cross-platform compatibility.

Also, why didn't they just include PC from the start? Arsehats. Superlative platform, more players than any of the others, can't be bothered to port it. Bungie are arsehats. FU Bungie, keep your bollocks, generic console shooter. Plenty of other companies that don't treat us like third class citizens. If they're releasing on (X64/X86) latest-gen platforms, it will run on PC. But out of 500 people they haven't 2 people to work on a port. Shameful.