Deus Ex: Human Revolution E3 Trailer Hits the Tubes

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I loved Deus Ex: Invisible War and I reckon I will love this. It's a shame I never got to play the original.

It's slightly irritating that thanks to games being pushed back there are very few I want this year but loads I will want next year.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Well it certainly looks good, but that's a lot of cutscenes for a game that should be about making choices. While I'm glad to see what probably is the the first big unapologetically cyberpunk work since Snow Crash and probably a cyborg that can do more cyborgy things (i.e. punch through walls instead of just lifting very large crates) I'll remain skeptic until the game is on my hands.

elricik said:
I thought I read somewhere that this Deus Ex would take place BEFORE the first one? Anyway I hope they don't screw this up, Deus Ex is still one of my favorite games of all time. Deus Ex the invisible war wasn't half bad either.
It does, Deus Ex takes place in the mid 21st century (the precise date is 2055 IRRC).

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
So it's a prequel... I guess that makes sense, what with mech-augs being outdated in Deus Ex, and the protagonist of this game being a mech-aug.

The trailer looks good, but that doesn't mean anything. Let's hope the gameplay is up to snuff.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Legion said:
I loved Deus Ex: Invisible War and I reckon I will love this. It's a shame I never got to play the original.
So why not play it now?

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Hurr Durr Derp said:
The trailer looks good, but that doesn't mean anything. Let's hope the gameplay is up to snuff.
True, but its quality certainly piques the curiosity, does it not?

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
SO...

this doesn´t evolve beyond AYNTHING there was already in Blade Runner and the Ghost In The Shell Series, Esp. since it´s looking like Ghost In the Shell 2 Innocence, which looks like - but was not ispired by - Blade Runner.

Fine with me, perfect Setting!! Just wrap it up in some decent Gameplay and you have an Instant Longtime Hit.

...you better do, Eidos.

BTW...somehow our Future seems very 'brown'....

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
elricik said:
I thought I read somewhere that this Deus Ex would take place BEFORE the first one? Anyway I hope they don't screw this up, Deus Ex is still one of my favorite games of all time. Deus Ex the invisible war wasn't half bad either.
It is a prequel. The post specifically states that Human Revolution takes place in 2027, 25 years before Deus Ex, which was set in 2052.

And yes, as pointed out, it does suffer from "[insert favourite prequel here] Syndrome," in that it looks far more advanced than the original game despite supposedly being a quarter-century older. Not much to be done about that. I'm a little concerned about it, I admit, but I'm hopeful that Eidos will be able to pull it off. I can live with hugely advanced visuals as long as the story remains true to the original - for instance, Adam's mechanical augs look far more streamlined than those of Gunther Hermann, but as long as they're technologically in line, I can live with it.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
Legion said:
So why not play it now?
The hassle I went through getting System Shock 2 to work (while worth it) was quite a bit and that's an old game. I may have a look and see if it has the same kind of issues.

EDIT: It appears that it is a lot more compatible with Vista which is promising, it is also available on Steam. It looks like I have found the next game to try out after replaying SS2.

ark123

Feb 19, 2009
STOP. STOP RIGHT NOW, ALL OF YOU. THIS MEANS NOTHING.
I fucking hate this. Show us gameplay! We want to know if you took a giant shit all over one of the greatest games of all time. I'm getting too old for this shit. Back off, hype. BACK.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
It's nice to see a little pre-rendered action every once and a while.

It reminds you how fucking awesome CGI can look.
Exactly. Whatever about the gameplay, this looks almost worth picking up for the cinematics alone. It looks incredible...

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
Legion said:
The hassle I went through getting System Shock 2 to work (while worth it) was quite a bit and that's an old game. I may have a look and see if it has the same kind of issues.

EDIT: It appears that it is a lot more compatible with Vista which is promising, it is also available on Steam. It looks like I have found the next game to try out after replaying SS2.
I don't know about Vista but it runs great on XP, straight-up. Then again, so did SS2 so ymmv.

I replayed it fairly recently and to my mind, it's held up really well. I'm a pretty big fan of the original so take that for what it's worth, but I really think that DX is still a very playable game. It's definitely dated but there's so much depth to it that it hardly matters. Let us know how it goes.

Waif

MM - It tastes like Candy Corn.
Mar 20, 2010
This is freaking awesome ^~^! I loved the first Deus Ex, and was okay with the second one. Though I have been waiting for Deus Ex 3 for a while now. I am excited to see that they kept to, what seems to be, the spirit of the first Deus Ex. I didn't like the story of Invisible War as much as I liked the story of the first Deus Ex. The trailer is unbelievably awesome, with certain references to ancient culture( as was the case with the first Deus Ex). The wings of Icarus, the painting of surgeons around the body (which I forgot the name of). The ideas are all there, this may be one of my most favorite games.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Holy crap was that ever a cool trailer - if the actual gameplay is only half as good it will still be a damn fantastic game. Personally I don't really think the "outdated technology" looks more advanced so much as it just looks "prettier" - the overall styling of the mechanical augmentations looks very much like what the original game was trying to go for, albeit restricted by the limitations of the Unreal engine at the time.

For example, here is Agent Navarre (standing next to a Sims version somebody made, heh):

Also, since nobody has posted it yet:

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
geldonyetich said:
Hurr Durr Derp said:
True, but its quality certainly piques the curiosity, does it not?
Its title piques my interest. Squeenix is good at making pre-rendered trailers and cutscenes, that's nothing new. I don't think anyone was expecting the game to look bad. Whether the game will live up to the original in terms of gameplay will remain an unanswered question for now, though.