Deus Ex: Human Revolution E3 Trailer Hits the Tubes

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
Shanecooper said:
Anyone else gonna reinstall the original now, or am I on my own here?
I just played trough it a month ago, 7th times at least or something, since I got it when it came out.

It still resides on my Laptop.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
bojac6 said:
I am so excited. Deus Ex has remained my favorite game for a decade. Nothing has even come close to the depth of story or fun game play. The sequel was frankly awful by comparison. But this looks like it got the right tone and the right style. I really hope we find out that Bob Page is starting his fortunes at some point, because there was no reference to him, just Seraphim Industries, which wasn't in the first game.

Cannot wait.

Hiphophippo said:
Anyone else catch the line at the end? "You'll never find him."

Bet I know who "him" is.
Bet you don't since this takes place 30 years before the original game so JC Denton hasn't been born yet and Gunther may just be graduating High School.

Also, pretty sure it they said "them" not "him."
Yeh, they definitely said "them". No idea yet exactly who the "them" are yet, but it wouldn't be too hard to imagine the Illuminati will rear their head in some form during the game. They were a strong force during the previous two games and well, we do see the eye atop the pyramid at one point during the trailer.

Of course, this is Deus Ex so things will (hopefully) not be that simple.

blindthrall

Oct 14, 2009
Hiphophippo said:
Anyone else catch the line at the end? "You'll never find him."

Bet I know who "him" is.

I actually enjoyed Invisible War. It was clearly inferior to the original but certainly not a bad game in it's own right. Or so I thought anyway. Regardless, this looks pretty swank.
Morgan Everett or Paul Denton?

Anybody else think the last level will involve blowing up the Statue of Liberty? I think it's cool that Mass Effect 2 had an easter egg relating to that, specifically Liberty's head, and the backstory was that it was destroyed in a terrorist attack during the Second American Civil war.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
While a cinematic might not reflect gameplay, a good, long cinematic reflects a good budget, which is both good and bad..

On the good side, it's never good to have a game made on a shoestring.

On the bad side, it means the game has to have a high expected sales figure, which usually means appealing to a broad market. Since the broad market seems to consist largely of ritalin poppers this potentially spells very bad things for a game whose main appeal was complicated storyline and conspiracy theory theme.

It also means console ports, which will either make the game ugly or short.

I do like the prequel idea, though, and the focus on mechanical augmentation rather than nanotech. Those mechs needed more love.

Nocta-Aeterna

Aug 3, 2009
I'm ashamed to admit I've never played the first Deus Ex, but this trailer is pretty awesome.
Huzzah for dystopian cyberpunk I guess.

That scene in the start looks remarkably similar to Rembrandt's "The Anatomy Lesson of Dr. Nicolaes Tulp". Without the flaming, falling angel, obviously.

Rutskarn

Feb 20, 2010
This isn't entirely fair, but I do have an ultimatum concerning this game.

If I can't go through it nonlethally, it's a no-go.

dashiz94

Apr 14, 2009
Since it is WAY too difficult for me to find a decent copy of Deus Ex, can someone kind of wrap up what the main story is for me? From the trailer this looks rather good, and if it goes with the kind of yellow hue, the graphics will be absolutely gorgeous.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
<spoiler=OMG>OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

I am excited, how did that happen, I thought by now I'd never get properly excited about a game. But, but Deus Ex 3 man!
Provided it's at least something like Deus Ex then I am there. But there is a little niggling fear in my mind that with the influence of Squeenix this is going to end up a cross between a run of the mill linear fps and a run of the mill linear jrpg, where 'compelling' is code for lead by the hand every step. I hope it avoids that, if it doesn't there will be problems.

JayDub147

Jun 13, 2009
Lookin' good.

in-game pics here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=397260

butteforce

Mar 4, 2010
Invisible War was terrible. The worst thing they could have done with that game was release a demo. I grabbed it and 15 minutes later I was on my way to the mall to pull my paid-in-full preorder for it. It's a game where you're basically "some guy" that has his apartment blown up, and then someone wants you to set a coffee shop on fire. Consequently, I don't have a lot of hope for a DX *equel.

That said, the trailer was kind of neat. It's got a bunch of stuff that you probably won't be able to do in game. The choices will probably fall into today's amazing land of being a sociopath or being an environmentally conscious clergyman. Since it's got square's name on it, there will probably be a lot of ham-fisted stupidity and ridiculous hair involved in the story. And until I see some gameplay, I'm going to go ahead and expect it to be some third-person abomination so they can show off their Predator-esque invisibility shaders.
Edit: Just caught the screenshots link. So ... I'm going to call that "close enough".

But cool trailer though. I'm sort of disappointed at the lack of a "skul gun".

Hutz

Mar 20, 2009
evilthecat said:
On the bad side, it means the game has to have a high expected sales figure, which usually means appealing to a broad market. Since the broad market seems to consist largely of ritalin poppers this potentially spells very bad things for a game whose main appeal was complicated storyline and conspiracy theory theme.

It also means console ports, which will either make the game ugly or short.
In other words, it could very well end up as bad as Invisible War...

Whilst it would be awesome if Squeenix made a DX-style game (which you'd think would be reasonable since we're talking about a DX-prequel here), the money is in appealing to the masses, so as evilthecat alluded to, we'll probably end up with just another FPS bland-a-thon that'll make all the DX fanboys (myself included) cry.

I'm not looking forward to the disappointment :(

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
AC10 said:
JC Denton was stone cold, this guy looks like he has tons of emotional baggage I'm supposed to care about that's just ready to burst out at every conveniently contrived plot point.
I don't think JC was stone cold, I think he just had really shitty delivery.
Ha, I suppose that could have been the case.

Admittedly it's been a LONG time (10 years!) since I've played through Deus Ex, maybe I should play through it again! If they keep the cool implants, the multi-path aproach, dialogue options and deliver the story in an interesting way I'm all down for this. My concern, however, lies with my HATRED for the metal gear series. Thus there are theee main things I'm concerned about:

1) The story "Pulling a Kojima" by taking a turn into incomprehensibility and absurdity.

2) Look how cool our cutscenes are!. I don't want cutscenes to tell the whole story. I don't want control yanked from me every time something interesting is happening. I don't want my cutscenes to last 40 minutes. I don't want my guy flipping around like a ninja in the cutscenes and then when I play it he can't do any of those things.

3) The game will now be a 3rd person brawler with a pretty good story. I liked it in first person and I'd really prefer it stayed like that.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Rodyle2 said:
AC10 said:
This looks too serious and angsty. I really don't remember Deus Ex being so Metal Gear Solid 4, hell it even mentions proxy soldiers and shadow governments, etc. JC Denton was stone cold, this guy looks like he has tons of emotional baggage I'm supposed to care about that's just ready to burst out at every conveniently contrived plot point.

"I never asked for this, baww bawww I'm now super powered."
Denton didn't cry about his implants, he manned up and took it.

I guess, really, this just looks too... well, Japanese. I can't say I'm too confident I'm going to like this.
JC was just a brick wall. A brick wall that was fun to play, but a brick wall. I can't complain if they want to upgrade from "Brick Wall" to "Character."
I think you're right about that. He SHOULD have more personality. I just don't want him to be "I can't live like this anymore, I didn't choose this life. I'm dark and brooding and I'm searching for something, something I lost, something I need to find. no one will stand in my way"

Like HOW many times have we seen this guy in a video game?

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Ooo...this looks kind of neat.

Don't really know much about Deus-ex though. Heard of it here and there, but nothing more than that.

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
Poor Mr. Adam Jensen, it sounds like he has a bad case of Batman Throat.

On the other hand, this game looks pretty bad ass. It's probably the closest thing we'll get to a kick-ass Shadowrun video game.