Deus Ex: Human Revolution Review

bificommander

Apr 19, 2010
I've already pre-ordered it, glad to hear it wasn't a horrible decision. A shame they drop you in combat-only boss fights, that was one of the mayor downsides of Alpha Protocol. From the original, you did have to kill Anna baring semi-glitches, but there was a non-combat way to do it: Find the two words of her insta-kill phrase, and you could kill her without fighting. Some bosses to spice up the fights are fine, but I would've liked to see them give you the option of using the other skills to beat them. Talk them down, or talk someone else into killing them. Let them chase you into a room full of hacked turrets. Sneak above them and drop something heavy and/or explosive. That sort of thing.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
I plan to make my takedowns involve as many comically large objects as possible.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
You heard it here first. Deus Ex: Human Revolution is superior to Dragon Age 2. /shakes head in shame

Jim Sterling's review was muuch better.

ZephrC

Free Cascadia!
Mar 9, 2010
ultrachicken said:
EDIT: Why did this game get a lower score than Dragon Age 2? I am extremely confused.
I'm pretty sure that's partly because it was reviewed by a different person, partly because the whole fallout from the Dragon Age 2 score has made them a bit more cautious with 5 star scores, and partly because *REDACTED*.

So if you could kindly not mention that game again, I'm sure everyone would appreciate it. Thank you.

cricket chirps

Apr 15, 2009
Yay, yay, yay, and yay. That's all it took. I just NEEDED to hear a good review for the game. I've wanted it to turn out well so much, and hearing that is has just made my day :) Now i can i'm getting it for sure. YAY

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
I had some mild hopes on this one, but didn't expect anything special. Now, after this review, and Jim's lack of episode thanks to DE:HR, I'm all hyped. I planned to catch up with InFamous 2 after getting some money at the end of the month, but looks like it'll have to wait.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
My face on hearing Deus Ex2 isn't a disappointment: :D

Good enough for me, it don't matter if game scored 5,4 or heck even 3/5 so long as it has some of the magic of first game, which judging by the reviewer's anecdotes, it has.

Preloading game on steam and anxiously waiting friday ^^

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
For those wondering about the score, we added half-star ratings back in May to give us a bit more precision. The difference in a whole star is pretty significant, and we'd had too many pre-publish debates about whether to round up or down for scores that fell in between the marks on our rating scale.

The change was finally made to accommodate LA Noire, which, like Deus Ex, was better than a 4 but not quite a 5. The difference between a 4 and a 5 will usually depend on how forgiving the individual reviewer is of the game's faults. In my case, the faults of Deus Ex never really ruined the experience, but they just couldn't be ignored.

Titan Buttons

Apr 13, 2011
DJDarque said:
Steve Butts said:
Deus Ex: Human Revolution Review

A worthy sequel to one of the greatest PC games of all time.

Read Full Article
It looks interesting, but one question: Is the story pretty self-contained or will I need to have played the previous Deus Ex games to really understand everything?
I believe in the time-line it occurs before the first two game, so there shouldn't be anything we need to know as, story line wise, it hasn't happened yet.

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
Chest high walls!
Chest high walls everywhere!

Seriously though, why would every station/hideout/office place decide to spend their annual budget installing obtrusive barriers all over their floors?

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Someone should do a direct comparison between this game, Deus Ex 2 and Alpha protocol.

Game looks pretty enough, but I'm not convinced about this game working as a shooter.

Leoofmoon

Aug 14, 2008
The hole "combat is better in force" thing is kinda alredey there, i herd that the first one was the same. going in and poping a cap in everyones head is easy and fast but going in and sneaking around and doing leathel or non leather can be a AWSOME reward, it gives you, your a bad ass and no one saw you as you shived ther buissnes card up there ass as you where giveing them a swirley in the tolite.

Chadling

Oct 8, 2008
What I've read about this game relieves me in just about every way imaginable. Would the game be worthy of the name Deus Ex? Would it even be any good? Would my computer have any hope of running it?

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
RobotNinja said:
I don't understand why everyone wants to do a pacifist run. Stealth kills are the best.
Because I can. It's the fun of a self-imposed challenge.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Hmm, how good does your computer have to be to run it?

SupahGamuh said:
Thank you Mr. Butts, you gave me a huge relief by letting us know that the game will run reasonably well in my already outdated PC.

Now, to the Steam store page!

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
still not sure about this game. i could not get in to the first one. played it when a friend got it and it just dint grab me as HL did or others. dint bother to play the second one either. i have to admit that this looks interesting but still not sure.

Frost27

Good news everyone!
Jun 3, 2011
It's not bad... I fail at the stealth but that might change once I get some aug improvements. I absolutely can not get the hacking down but fortunately I don't really have to. I guess it really speaks in it's favor that I never feel brick walled by something I can't do.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
Just because no one else seems to remember it i'm gonna put this out here
OT: I'll probably pick this up later. Meaning after i've got my PS3 sent down here, since i'd rather not have to play it on my laptop.