Dev explains why Skyrim lag wont get fixed.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
Mimsofthedawg said:
Ilikemilkshake said:
Considering that these issues have existed since FO3, why have Bethesda 1) not fixed it. or 2) bothered porting the game to the ps3 when they know that the way their game works will almost definatly cause the game to degrade to a point of unplayability?
Because it's not a universal problem. Everyone's acting like it's some HUGE thing and that EVERY PLAYER ON THE PS3 CAN'T EVEN PLAY THE DAMN GAME!

No... no, that's not true. While IGN did a poll, only 51% of people experience lag, and only a small fraction of them experienced it so bad they had to restart the game. Even a smaller fraction said the game was "unplayable".

You simply have to do some developer magic to get it to work right... but it's not as bad as you'd make it out to be... or anyone, really.
The point is, For alot of people the game doesnt function properly. Im aware that not everyone is experiancing problems but the people that are have paid good money for a product that doesnt work for them. And Bethesda has known about these problems for years, yet they still continue to ship their games... if it were any other industry they wouldnt get away with it.

Deathninja19

Dec 7, 2009
Ilikemilkshake said:
Deathninja19 said:
Where would the refund come from the supplier or Bethesda, in fact would Bethesda be suseptable to UK law since it's a foreign company? I have no idea about this area of the law.
Honestly, i dont really know. I'd suspect that if you were to return it to anyone, it would be the retailer, who would then deduct that refund from whatever payment they make to bethesda for the sale... However thats just a guess. I dont actually know how it works so i could be completely wrong.
Yeah no problem, with these kinds of laws there's so many loopholes and smallprint that unless there's a class action lawsuit or something of the like to prove that this is a defective product I'm sure there will be a way for the supplier or retailer to refuse to replace the game especially so long after buying this. I got this problem a week after buying this but stupidly I waited for a patch that may never come.

Swyftstar

May 19, 2011
While I'm not excusing Bethesda, I don't think Sony should get a pass on this one either. Not having enough RAM is just silly. Not having cross game chat is annoying and this isn't the first game to exhibit issues because of it. DC Universe Online used to crash religiously because of the low memory problem. Also, when I'm online on my PS3, it will occasionally freeze or tell me there isn't enough memory so the web page is being replaced with a blank screen.
For Bethesda's part, releasing this game when there is a known issue, without at least a warning is shady.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Nice to have it confirmed that they knowingly sold me a broken game. Fuck you too, Bethesda.

Deathninja19

Dec 7, 2009
Bara_no_Hime said:
Wait... Fallout 3 for the PS3 lagged if you played it too long?

I played FO3 on the PS3 for hundreds of hours. I reached 20th level and wandered the wastes attempting to find every map location. My save file got embarrassingly huge (now I know why). But the game never lagged on me.

Does it matter that I have one of the older, release PS3s?
No I think like me you just got lucky there, in fact I had no idea there was a fallout problem until people started to compare it to this.

Gazisultima

May 25, 2009
Typical PC user, always thinking you are above others, displaying an arrogance I've never actually seen before. People can choose to buy whatever system they like for gaming. Just because you can afford a rig that can play modern games doesn't make you better than others. God this is my current pet peeve with the gaming community. It's pathetic.

And I do genuinely feel sorry for PS3 gamers. They have it rough :(

EDIT: It didn't quote, so I apologise to the decent PC gamers out there who aren't stuck up their own arses, which I know is the majority :)

GaltarDude1138

Jan 19, 2011
The only lag I'm really concerned with is when I bring up the menu and my controls suddenly go dead for about 3 seconds and I can't select anything. It's annoying as hell and it happens whenever I bring up the menu.

I bet it's a console thing, too...

TheGuy(wantstobe)

Dec 8, 2009
Mimsofthedawg said:
Ilikemilkshake said:
Considering that these issues have existed since FO3, why have Bethesda 1) not fixed it. or 2) bothered porting the game to the ps3 when they know that the way their game works will almost definatly cause the game to degrade to a point of unplayability?
Because it's not a universal problem. Everyone's acting like it's some HUGE thing and that EVERY PLAYER ON THE PS3 CAN'T EVEN PLAY THE DAMN GAME!

No... no, that's not true. While IGN did a poll, only 51% of people experience lag, and only a small fraction of them experienced it so bad they had to restart the game. Even a smaller fraction said the game was "unplayable".

You simply have to do some developer magic to get it to work right... but it's not as bad as you'd make it out to be... or anyone, really.
Every single copy no matter the system has the potential for the exact same issue. Playstyle will be the main determininator as to when you experience it though and how you can minimise the impact it will have. That is undisputable fact backed up by developers who have worked on the engine based entirely around the way in which savegames and object data is both stored and loaded in engine.

Other minor thing is this a framerate issue not lag which is a fundamentally different thing altogether.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Glad i use the 360 then...i had lag for about 30 seconds then everything was fine again...and has been for a good week now.

Still, you would think it would be a pretty simple problem to fix...someone said it earlier by having it save in sub sections, so when you move to a new area (i assume like dragon age, only with bigger area's) then that area and the items/enemies/whatever else load up...and repeated for whenever you enter a new area of the world, sure it's a piss take but at least it would be playable on PS3.

Unrelated note

Yeh Bro! You tell them about that rainfall!

Deathninja19

Dec 7, 2009
Mimsofthedawg said:
Deathninja19 said:
zelda2fanboy said:
mikey7339 said:
Well so much for trying to get a platinum trophy in this game...
Call me crazy or unrealistic, but... couldn't all of these issues be avoided by starting a new character? I know as one gains higher levels, they get new armor and stuff, but doesn't that eventually max out? There's only so many different types of items in a game So maybe this would work: do half the quest lines as one character (getting half the trophies), and start a new character and do a completely different section of the game. If it's really that bad, this seems like a reasonable compromise, especially since there are so many different character classes to play as. In fact, I go so far as to say in New Vegas, they were trying to encourage that model, considering the way the trophies were set up (most of the trophies were based on finishing the main quest while allying with each different faction). I consider myself a pretty diehard Bethesda fan and I don't think I ever got very far past the 70 hour mark in any of their games so far.
The point is that we shouldn't have to restart we should be able to play for however long we want. I appreciate where you're coming from, I love Bethesda but if a company releases a broken product it is their fault not the consumers and Bethesda should be doing all they could to fix this or replace defective products.

Through the years I've constanly had problems with Bethesda products but I remained an apologist but this is the straw that broke the camel's back, I'm not defending Bethesda anymore they are in the wrong here and I'm not gonna fall for their shit anymore.
I'm not going to be an apologist for Bethesda, and I'll concede that they probably should have just used a new engine (I was VERY disappointed when I found out that the "Creation Engine" was just an updated GameBryo engine). But the problem with you and many people is that you make it sound like it's the VAST majority who have game breaking issues. They don't. The vast majority have glitches, sure, but they are no where near "game breaking".

I've actually been incredibly impressed with Bethesda products. I've never had a glitchy one, and with the exception of the occassional crash or backwards flying dragon (aka, not too bad), I've encountered few.

I know that I'm not a minority because of statistics and polls my friend. search IGN for the simplest one. Other people have done them too though, and it's clear that while annoying issue crop up, they aren't "game breaking".

I'm sorry that you seem to have such bad luck though. :(
I can see where you are coming from and I'm honestly glad you were lucky but as I said it doesn't matter how many people this effects what matters is that this is a real proven problem and the fact is people are letting Bethesda get away with it.

In the future when you buy the next Bethesda game there is a possibility that you will experience a game breaking glitch just because you are letting the company get away with such messy and plain broken game design. I'm sorry but you need to realise that just because a company isn't screwing you over now doesn't mean they will screw you over in the future.

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
F4LL3N said:
Wow. I'm on 360 with 165 hours and I've only had serious lag occur once. It was

the final mission in the Thieves Guild, in the cave with the pretty sparkilies

and I simply restarted my console and no lag since. I always assumed the PS3 had superior hardware to the 360. Guess I was wrong.
Same here, wonder if anyone else had the same problem on the 360?

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Swyftstar said:
While I'm not excusing Bethesda, I don't think Sony should get a pass on this one either. Not having enough RAM is just silly. Not having cross game chat is annoying and this isn't the first game to exhibit issues because of it. DC Universe Online used to crash religiously because of the low memory problem. Also, when I'm online on my PS3, it will occasionally freeze or tell me there isn't enough memory so the web page is being replaced with a blank screen.
For Bethesda's part, releasing this game when there is a known issue, without at least a warning is shady.
LOL, what?

Blame Sony because Bethesda can't make their games work well on the PS3? Sony may share some of the blame, they should have told Bethesda to fix it before they allowed it on the PS3 but Bethesda's incompetence is not Sony's fault.

If you tried to make a game for the Wii and it lagged really bad, would you really blame Nintendo?

Lug100

Sep 2, 2011
I have to say i find this whole PS3 problem a bit weird, as the PS3 has more advanced hardware;

Now before everyone starts up the whole turf war about which is better etc., http://uk.ign.com/articles/2010/08/26/xbox-360-vs-playstation-3-the-hardware-throwdown
Okay just read this, I know some people don't like IGN and may choose to ignore etc., but the point it makes is true, overall the PS3 has more capable hardware, including in the RAM's ability. Can we just accept that and move on? (it's not a case of which is better overall, or what uses its hardware best overall)

However as this thread says, for some reason, Bethesda have decided to release a game, which they know from previous games, has a huge problem when it comes to RAM usage. Not so much a problem for PC users like myself, but for console that's a huge one. The PS3's RAM setup is very good for pretty much everything but fails when playing these games which use far too much RAM for the system than is necessary. The Xbox is okay as it can use its entire RAM for system if necessary, however surly that we reduce other parts of the game e.g. graphics? (idk I haven't got an Xbox, but if lots of RAM is being used elsewhere, surely that means less for everything else?

So overall it's not the consoles fault that there is this lag issue, Bethesda really need to update and fix there engine.

TL;DR - Not PS3's fault, Bethesda need to fix there damn game.

Rook

Oct 11, 2008
God damn it. The only reason I bought Skyrim for the ps3 was because My Xbox is broken and I have to buy a new one. I couldn't wait for two months to play it on the xbox and now I guess I have to pay, one frame at a time.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Deathninja19 said:
No I think like me you just got lucky there, in fact I had no idea there was a fallout problem until people started to compare it to this.
Oh. Cool. ^^ Here's hoping I continue to be lucky with Skyrim.

Also: Mental note, when playing Skyrim, don't move around unnecessary random objects. The less I touch, the smaller the save file will stay (as I understand the problem as explained above).

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
Well that sucks for the console guys. Bethesda really shouldnt have ported the game if they knew these problems were going to come up but it may be possible that they didnt realize the problem was there or didnt think it was going to be nearly this bad. Either way they should pull the PS3 port at the very least and give a full refund to anyone that wants one.

I play Skyrim on PC and with my huge ram I havnt run into any issues so I think this might just be another sign that its time for the next generation in consoles