Dev: Final Fantasy X-3 Could Happen With Fan Demand

Danial

Apr 7, 2010
As one of the few people who liked X and X2 (X2 is by far one of the weakest non 13/14v1 FF games) a sequel would be pointless, X2 wrapped up the story as good as you could get, (spoiler tagging since i know a HD remake of X/2 are coming out soon
we saw the Post Sin rebuilding progress, we had the two love birds Reunite, the 2 Waring factions make peace, Lulu and Wakka have a child and the reintroduction of machines into he world

We don't need a 3 since there is no continuation, unless X-3 is a Megaman X like affair and takes place many years into he future, but if that's the case just bloody rename the world and call it FF15 or 16.

As someone else said, as much as FF9 WHICH IS THE BEST AND ANY OTHER OPINIONS IS JUST LETTING THE TERRORISTS WIN... ahum, HD would make me have to sit cross legged for a while. I'd rather them just focus on more world and more compete games rather than just jumping on the sequel train.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Fox12 said:
Why make a sequel to the most critically hated game in the entire series? You could argue this decision is financially justified because of the popularity of the original FFX, but if that's the case then why don't they remake more popular titles in the series?
Well really will it live up to the hype if that were the case? Sure they can remake the game, mainly entirely by scratch which is costly and time consuming (see Final Mix HD since more of the Master Rom was gone), and also you have to ask if people will actually buy it. People will always say they will, but saying doesn't always equate to actually doing, because if that were the case then F-Zero and Metroid would have sold more copies than they did.
Finally, if Square were to screw it up somehow the amount of hate and anger they'd get for doing so would be absolutely scary to watch, and something's telling me that Square Enix's new CEO, Yosuke Matsuda, wouldn't want to tarnish his new position seeing as Square is still somewhat going through a restructure. Maybe an HD remake will come some day, but honestly I can see hesitance coming from them as to why they'd not want to do it, especially with how big the following for Final Fantasy VII is.

white_wolf

Aug 23, 2013
Wow really? X-2 was so bad I couldn't even get half way through before I said enough! I love Yuna but they went girlpower 200000000000 on it I don't think I want to see what they could do for a X-3! I love Yuna I went out and got X-2 solely because it was her but then they troped the crap out of it and didn't understand audience who loved her for X or why they considered her or Riku for that matter special engaging people. If they actually when ahead and made it I'd want Yuna from X definitely not Tidus I hated him.

I also hated the whole reincarnated lovers plot that X-2 gave out I always hated those plots so what the heck else would they do? Why can't Yuna just be the lead and do some world saving thing again like she did in X but without being the whole secondary character when she should've been the lead.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I'm not trying to insult anyone but I find it very shocking that people enjoyed 10, never the less 10-2. I suppose 2 was just because of the fanservice as the story was brain damaged.
I think fans need to try OTHER RPGs for once as I know many people tend to attach themselves to a brand, there's been some solid jRPGs on other platforms and they got pretty ignored while despite 13 almost being called one of the worst jRPGs ever got a lot of people buying and trying.

blazearmoru

Sep 26, 2010
With how FF-x2 turned out... Please don't keep stabbing FF-x anymore :(
If they really want to do something, they should do FF-X2#2. I'll give em a chance to remake FFx2 but that's about it.

Branindain

Jul 3, 2013
Here's a hilarious thought for everyone, what if they made a direct follow up to X-2, then we could have Final Fantasy X-2-II. Or X-2b. Or X-2 Re-revelations.

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
Cue the inevitable wall of people crying for a FF7 remake.

FF7 is very unlikely to ever, EVER see a remake. Why? Pre-emptive damage control. With the amount of obsessed fawning over that particular game there is almost no way a remake could ever live up to the expectations of fans. And if it didn't live up to those expectations the fanbase would go nuclear. It suffers from the most rose-tinded of glasses and to try and remake it, far from being a license to print money, would be like putting their collective heads in a guillotine with a malfunctioning release mechanism and just hoping the blade doesn't drop.

Even with the drive to make it happen and the ability to do so whenever they want, the risk is too great. I COULD, however, see a remake of something like 4, 6 or 9. They'd be appreciated by many and would be less likely to cause an entire chunk of their fanbase to explode in indignation if they weren't perfect.

That aside and on topic...it would depend heavily on what direction they were taking. I can't see a sequel working, there's nowhere to go. I COULD see what some have mentioned and a thing with Auron, Jecht and Braska working out very well however. Or perhaps a distant past prequel of the start of the whole war against Sin.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Lightspeaker said:
Cue the inevitable wall of people crying for a FF7 remake.

FF7 is very unlikely to ever, EVER see a remake. Why? Pre-emptive damage control. With the amount of obsessed fawning over that particular game there is almost no way a remake could ever live up to the expectations of fans. And if it didn't live up to those expectations the fanbase would go nuclear. It suffers from the most rose-tinded of glasses and to try and remake it, far from being a license to print money, would be like putting their collective heads in a guillotine with a malfunctioning release mechanism and just hoping the blade doesn't drop.

Even with the drive to make it happen and the ability to do so whenever they want, the risk is too great. I COULD, however, see a remake of something like 4, 6 or 9. They'd be appreciated by many and would be less likely to cause an entire chunk of their fanbase to explode in indignation if they weren't perfect.
I'm not really sure if a screwed up ff7 remake would be worse than milking ff7 to death with cloud and aerith preorder bonus skins in their recent games while never ever doing anything with 7 beyond that.
They're dead set to not let go of 7 whatsoever so they kind of cultivated that climate themselves.

So maybe if they stopped shoving final fantasy 7 in my face, I would have an ounce of sympathy for them.
And yes, they'd fuck the remake up if they ever did it since they would make it "cinematic" with voiceovers and that alone is a recipe for disaster.
People don't realize how terrible that script actually was when it wasn't acted out with closeups and when it was text only.

No one wants to see that weird barrett gorilla chestbeating in HD with sound.
It'll make that al bhed guy in ff x-2 seem normal.

CharrHearted

Aug 20, 2010
My god the amount of Spoony-tards on this thread makes me hate the FF fanbase x_x

I wouldn't mind another FF X game, atleast it's a unique world...

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
I liked X-2. Not as much as X, but that's entirely because of the lack of proper turn-based combat in X-2. Screw active time.

So yeah, bring on X-3! I have no idea where they'd scrap up another plot, but I'm game to find out.

And yes, to all the people saying FF7 - yes, I'd RATHER have an FF7 remake.

To those saying an FF7 remake would be easier - no it wouldn't be. Having the story means nothing - the story is the cheapest part of a game to make. They'd need to build an engine, model everything, program the game mechanics (even if it has identical mechanics, they'd still need to reprogram it from scratch), and do all the voice acting and other AAA stuff.

The only remotely sane way to remake FF7 would be episodically - break the story into manageable chunks and release it as, say, half a dozen games all made in the same engine, each costing 60 bucks. It would be the work of a decade - at least. And it would be worth every penny.

AuronFtw

Nov 29, 2010
ccdohl said:
This is bizarre. I always hear people wanting a FF7 remake, and I'm sure that a sequel to FF6, a modernized FF4 sequel, or a proper new Final Fantasy Tactics would sell like gangbusters, but they want to make a 2nd sequel to FFX or FFXIII, which were two of them less well-loved games. I just don't understand that company.
Squeenix is banana nutbutters. They've made progressively worse games, starting with X-2 and going downhill from there (even though that was pretty far down to begin with), and seem confused as to what made the earlier Final Fantasies good. They put in longer and longer cutscenes, prettier and flashier graphics, and remove more and more player control in each game, in a misguided attempt to make the games more cinematic while only succeeding in taking the soul out of them.

Say what you want about how detached menu-driven combat feels, but I've never felt more disconnected than in 12 where you set up your guys via predetermined AI functions and then go have a cup of tea every time you fight a monster. It was terrible. (On top of the rest of that game being terrible.)

BanicRhys

May 31, 2011
I don't know... on the one hand, what originally attracted me to the series was the each new installment was a new universe to explore, but on the other hand, the combat system in X-2 was the best one SE had come up with in a while (if you ignore the whole stupid fucking costumes angle).

A straight up prequel (no time travel or animus bullshit) that explores the relatively interesting back story of the FFX universe with a more... restrained version of X-2's combat could be interesting.

Of course, this being the company that refuses to remake FF6-9 and that has dedicated 3 or 4 games to a universe that no one [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbole] likes, X-3 would probably just wind up being "Charlie's fucking Gullwings 2" (now featuring Tidus, aka: Him, who has been inexplicably transformed into a time travelling moogle).

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
unLucky500 said:
But all the fan clamour in the world won't make them do a FF7 remake, even though it's a license to print money.
Sssssshhhh. Be quiet now. You're making sense and punching a huge hole through their logic. No one likes that.

Although that was the first thought that went through my head when I read this too. "Pretty sure fans have been asking for a FFVII remake or sequel (Dirge I enjoyed, but it's not the sequel I want) for years now, Square. Maybe you should listen to that first."

I don't know. I feel that X-2 pretty much ended the story. Making a sequel to X I could justify because of that ending and the bonus scene, but X-2 sealed the deal. I don't really see where else they could go with it.

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
CriticKitten said:
SinisterGehe said:
Either you're Noah Antwiller in disguise, or you borrowed his opinions wholesale. In either case, please educate yourself, as you sound like a mindless hater.
I am not Noah, I don't like all of his opinions but I share most of them about FFA series (Expect 9 He hates it, I love it).
X was the game that just made me give up on the series, X-2 I never finished.
Yeah they had nice visuals and good sound design (Expect whenever a character opens their mouth) But nice visuals do not save a game.
The game was just, bad in my opinion. Also I hate Luna and Tidus, one is a doormat other is a spawn of devil made to torture us all. The grid system's flexibility didn't really matter, if you had any idea what you were dong you could put points wherever (assuming you unlocked a path with some choice)And still beat the game. Just get the magic waterpolo ball of doom.

It is a game that marked the slide down to just bad for the series, 8 and 9 were the peaks 9 particularly. After that it just became more linear more awful more beautiful and more pop music. The fact they had to add 2 additional artist to mess around the work of mr. Uematsu (Who had done pristine job this far) and then he states he won't do rest of the series anymore, expect for 14 that was underdevelopment before he made the statement. There is like 1 song credit in other FFA games under his name. But rest are made by Pop/rock artist.

They are nothing like they used to be, they took evolutionary step down to a ditch full of used medical equipment.

Why don't they take those resources and make a good openworld RPG in modern day technology? New storyline, new techniques?.. But fuck no.... Take a game slap another number to the end of the number and add fan service = money.
Nothing else matters in fucking F#-minor

AndrewC

Jun 24, 2010
FFX is my favourite FF.

X-2 however...oh dear.

Like others have said, the story does pretty much get tied up and done so there isn't really anything left to explore.

Cybylt

Aug 13, 2009
Apparently this news came up because of some voice overs during the credits in X HD where it's Yuna and Tidus and the whole thing amounts to "SIN IS BACK AND WE'RE BREAKING UP!" from Yuna.

Nothing says good sequel material like bringing back the part 1 climax monster with a ridiculously specific creation method.

Zacharious-khan

Mar 29, 2011
Please no, X rapped up so nicely lets not open up the pandora's box of sequelige on our beloved series. I believe there is a sacred covenant between Square enix and I. I will purchase a game with numbers on them greater than 5 on the end, and in return each will be its own separate game with no sequels unless they really weren't trying very hard (see X-2 also XIII).

Random extra note: Next time i need batteries I will not buy Energizer.

Leonardo Huizar

Jul 1, 2012
ONLY IF
1. Character is likable, well developed, interesting, has good development in his or her's relationship with their allies

2. Bring back the ATB system from FF10, cause that was one of the best parts of the game

3. Have an experienced Novelist or someone other than Squeenix write the story OR have a very competent Localization team who will rewrite it enough so none of Anime/Manga by committee crap shows up in the story

4. OR if none of those can happen: Auron or "Auron erzhat" as the main character and post FF10-2

5. NO GAW DAM SON OFA FISH STICK UP THE RECTUM BLITZBALL ...or make it like a streamlined Fifa clone then im fine with it