Dev: Final Fantasy X-3 Could Happen With Fan Demand

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
SinisterGehe said:
Seriously. Who would demand it?
Well, there seems to be a reasonable amount of interest just on this thread! ;)

Disclaimer: I've got no horse in this race. The only Final Fantasy game I've ever played was VII, which I didn't finish.

2HF said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
The problem with that is, they would have to remake the entire game from the ground up, they can't use resources from the PS1.
It's easier and cheaper than making a sequel to any game.

With a sequel you need writers, musicians, character design from the ground up, you need to create an entirely new world. You need everything creative done from scratch and once that's all done you need code.

With a FF7 remake all you need to do is put in the final work. The characters are already created, their stories are already written, the world already exists, the music is already in place (just use the higher quality versions). All the heavy creative lifting is done. All you need is code.
As a software developer, I'll admit that sentences like "All you need is code" make me twitch just a little bit. That's only the most time-consuming part of the process. The "creative" bit is comparatively cheap!

I would also argue against the idea that they wouldn't have to do any writing. FFVII is a very long game compared with current gen titles, and would probably be infeasible to reproduce beat-for-beat using up-to-date technology. So a bit of rewriting would still be required to cut it down.

Brand new character models and environments would also be needed, as none of the originals could be re-used. (Just because I've seen it suggested elsewhere in this thread: No, I'm pretty the models from Advent Children could not be used.) And if they wanted to have it fully voiced this time around, they'd also need to book in a lot of recording hours. While they're at it, they might as well rerecord all of the music with a full orchestra (which, as far as I know, has only been done for a few key tracks in the game).

I'm not trying to make light of the creative, concept-art and script-writing work that goes into video games. But they're only the start of a long and expensive process.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Hark! I believe I hear Spoony screaming uncontrollably.

I only played a few hours of X at a friend's house once. While I found myself scratching my head at the story and setting, the gameplay mechanics were solid enough. Blitzball was a fun diversion, regardless of how impractical such a sport would be. I remember it spawning a short-lived fan creation for Jedi Outcast called Hydroball. The mod was loads of fun while it lasted. Sadly, people seemed to lose interest when Jedi Academy was announced.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
I can now happily conclude my plan with bombing a local kingergarden.

Reminds me..

"We're... THE KINDERGAURDIANS!"

Oh God Square please die and take the world with you just die for the love of all that is holy not another shitty J-pop loaded Charlie's Angels adaptation o my god I just reminded myself of the Charlie's Angels gamecube game

This day can't get much worse.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
...And people want a sequel to this game why[/?] I suppose it had some interesting ideas... but from what I can tell, it kinda dropped the ball with the story and some of the gameplay. Besides, the story was wrapped up, wasn't it? Maybe a remake could work...

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
Neverhoodian said:
Hark! I believe I hear Spoony screaming uncontrollably.

I honestly do not understand the appeal of the FF series anymore. Rosetinted glasses, I know, but I can not for the life of me understand what it is that still draws people to that series...

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
You know if you keep yanking your FFVII you're going to pull it off! Stop circle jerking 7, it's not going to happen. They are re-doing X 'cos it's already really pretty, they wont do 7 'cos it looks like fucking ass! They would have to re-make everything from the ground up, they would have to get voice actors in etc ... basically it would be a whole new game.

Not to mention the fucking hype, how could 7 ever live up to the rosiest of rose tinted specs and the all consuming nostalgia people have for 7? No matter what they did they could never live up to that! It would get announced, the net would explode with rabid fanboyism and it will all froth and simmer till release day when it sells like water in a desert ... then the back lash, entire forums would collapse under load of angry rants about X, Y and Z.

Just look at what happened to ME3, the series is well loved but it can't compare to FF7's overly obsessed gamers, months and months of endless people starting new threads to give there take on it.

It would be what turns the world as we know into a fallout style waste land.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I liked X and didn't care for X-2 that much but I would not mind a sequel as long as it is handled with care. If they do make a sequel it could be nice to see Square-Enix hopefully port X over to the PC.

2HF

May 24, 2011
MetalMagpie said:
As a software developer, I'll admit that sentences like "All you need is code" make me twitch just a little bit. That's only the most time-consuming part of the process. The "creative" bit is comparatively cheap!
I agree with you, but tell me which is easier/cheaper, code + all the creative stuff or only code?

You're going to have to do all the coding either way, but at least with the remake you already have all (or at the very least damn near all) of the creative work done.

I didn't mean to make light of coding work, I meant to say that A is simpler and cheaper than A+B. Nothing more.

Jun 11, 2008
Prequel sure go it, I'd certainly give that a go. Sequel well that can go fuck off and die in a large fire. FF X-2 may have had a superb battle system with the nice job aspect but that story was like a bad fanfiction. So yeah on an FF X-3 that continues from FF X-2 .

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
SkarKrow said:
It depends what it is.

I will definately buy a saga of Auron, Jecht and Braska's journey.

I will not buy a sequel to X-2.
Pretty much this.

Even though FF X isn't exactly my personal favorite when it comes to story or setting, seeing those three team up seems like a blast in comparison to the Yuna/Rikku/Paine debacle we had with FF X-2 (gameplay was still enjoyable though).

And while we're at it, why not give FF IX a prequel as well? I'd love to play a game where Zidane and Freya meet up for the first time.

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
Well, Final Fantasy X-2 was garbage but I'd still buy it anyway due to the fact that regardless of quality, system or anything else I buy every Final Fantasy game (not including spin-offs).

This is not a conscious choice, it just happens. I mean that, I literally go out and buy consoles just to play Final Fantasy games (most notably Final Fantasy XII and an Xbox 360) totally outside of my own control. I just feel I have to for some reason.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
This sounds brilliant. Let me pitch the basics for you Square.

The story centres around Wakka, Kimahri and a new character (who is just there for padding really) as they have a totally rad bro-venture. Like the dress sphere thing from X-2, X-3 will have the Hair Sphere where you can change your abilities with a spiffy new do. Maybe the plot will be about someone ruining Wakka's sick kegger and he wants revenge and maybe to do some pull ups along the way bro, nah mean? All the while they have side missions like Wakka has to dodge child support and try and get the K-Dog laid. Oh and Auron will have a minor cameo where he plays beer pong.

I see nothing wrong with this pitch. Not one thing.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
How about focusing on just making the games better? Finish your current projects and such, plus the best thing about Final Fantasy used to be that each game was its own new world to explore, not so much Final in your Fantasy if they're revisits of old places all the time like this is starting to be.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
*Crowd of millions stand outside Square Enix, cash in hand, demanding a FF7 remake*

Dev: we're happy to say that, with enough fan support, we're willing to make... a FFX-2 sequel.

*Atomic facepalm*

I honestly don't understand Squares deep seated hatred of money. Why make a sequel to the most critically hated game in the entire series? You could argue this decision is financially justified because of the popularity of the original FFX, but if that's the case then why don't they remake more popular titles in the series? No one here wants this, no one asked for this.

If you watched this you now have cancer. I'm sorry. In all seriousness this is the epitome of everything wrong with the series. We have FF 1-9, 10, 10-2, now a possible 10-3,12,13,13-1,13-2,13-3, agito 13, versus 13 (ff15), and many more. The entire series is a mess. They need to clean house and stream line the series before it's too late. How are new fans supposed to get into the series?

Drauger

Dec 22, 2011
Don't get me wrong I think FF7 is overhyped but, square/enix this is just trolling the fans XD

As long as this one also haves the whole dress up thingie I'm in

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
OR.

OR.

OOOOR.

You could release fucking Final Fantasy 15.

Final Fantasy X was overrated to begin with, X-2 was mostly bad, X-3 just has no more room to explore with the story, it's already tightly resolved. so please. don't.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
Whoa, whoa, wait a second... maybe I misread all the foreshadowing at the end of X-2, but it seemed like they were implying that final fantasy X-3 already existed, and was called Final Fantasy 7... o_O

Ehh, I wouldn't mind another game with X's design in it, but if they're willing to revisit such an old IP, it seems like there are other games more deserving of extra attention.

Mirrorknight

Jul 23, 2009
Not just no. Hell no. Of all the FF to sequelize, why the hell would you pick 10? Hell, you already did it once and IT WAS...well, it wasn't horrible but it was still pretty bad. Why in god's name would you WANT to make a third? The story is done! Let it die with some dignity!

Find another FF to sequelize. I hear the kids are salivating for a remake/proper sequel to 7. Make that! In fact, I insist! Leave the better Final Fantasies alone!