Diablo 3 Review

fwiffo

Sep 12, 2011
Squidbulb said:
I've never understood the point of unlockable difficulty settings. Difficulty shouldn't be seen as a reward, it's just there to keep each type of player happy.
Also, I've never played Diablo anyway so I'll probably just wait for Torchlight 2.
In D3 its not really a difficulty setting even. Its more like a new game + mode. Your character is the same lvl and has the same gear as before. Then you go through a tougher version with better loot n stuff.

DonTsetsi

May 22, 2009
fwiffo said:
Squidbulb said:
I've never understood the point of unlockable difficulty settings. Difficulty shouldn't be seen as a reward, it's just there to keep each type of player happy.
Also, I've never played Diablo anyway so I'll probably just wait for Torchlight 2.
In D3 its not really a difficulty setting even. Its more like a new game + mode. Your character is the same lvl and has the same gear as before. Then you go through a tougher version with better loot n stuff.
If only they made more levels, they wouldn't have to recycle everything 3 times!

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
I never was a huge fan of Diablo or isometric dungeon crawlers (stopped playing D2 halfway through because I got bored), but I'm having fun with D3. To me the fact that I can quickly respec my character and start playing in a different way makes the game more varied and less prone to boredom.

In comparison, Torchlight bored me to tears. It's a good game, but I didn't see any reason to keep playing. I may try T2 but I'll probably wait until a sale or price drop, also because I don't want to play 2 dungeon crawlers straight in a row.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
I'm loving Diablo III, so far it's my Game of the Year. It's the first Diablo game I've played so obviously I'm not feeling that the game just feels like the others or that it's more streamlined because it's all I know of the Diablo series. However after playing and liking Diablo III so much after I'm done with it I'm going to pick up the first 2.

The only thing I don't like about it is the chance system on the crafting, you spend your gold and resources to craft an item and have a fairly good chance of getting something completely useless. The other night I went through 13k gold and over 100 Subtle Essence just to craft myself a chest piece and I was getting increasingly frustrated every time it gave me something useless, the crafting isn't exactly cheap. Like I said, I haven't played other Diablo games so I don't know if it was like this in the others, but yeah, not a big fan of the crafting chance system.

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
tautologico said:
I never was a huge fan of Diablo or isometric dungeon crawlers (stopped playing D2 halfway through because I got bored), but I'm having fun with D3. To me the fact that I can quickly respec my character and start playing in a different way makes the game more varied and less prone to boredom.

In comparison, Torchlight bored me to tears. It's a good game, but I didn't see any reason to keep playing. I may try T2 but I'll probably wait until a sale or price drop, also because I don't want to play 2 dungeon crawlers straight in a row.
Torchlight 2 is a complete revision of torchlight 1 and the combat is more intense i suggest entering for a beta key on the website and trying it.

vengerofthelight

Mar 21, 2012
darkszero said:
My opinion:

Always Online: doesn't matter, I would be playing it on battle.net anyway, so I can jump in with some friends whenever I want. That's exactly what I just did, playing with some friends with a character I spent some quality time playing solo earlier.
Sounds like Open Battle.net to me. Good stuff.

darkszero said:
Auction House: Using the gold auction house (the RM one isn't up, I don't really care for it so it's irrelevant for me), I sold some items for some extra bucks so I can throw it in the gold sinks. Hey, money is relevant in this game, what a change from Diablo II!
Emphasis mine.

I recall not even being upset that death took it's toll of however many tens/hundreds of thousands of gold from me on the occasion that Duriel pasted me agaisnt a wall. Hearing players tell me that gold is actually relevant in D3, as opposed to being something to feed Gheed when I'm bored, interests me.

darkszero said:
Customization: I'd take D3 free-swap anytime to Diablo 2's "hey, play the first 20 levels without spending a single skill point, so you can dump it all on this single skill" mechanic. I've spent quite a while trying different skills, looking for a new gameplay for my wizard. Much better than trying to guess what skills does in D2, then wasting skill points in useless skills.
*snip*
As of patch 1.13 (I believe), D2 now includes as a quest reward one free re-spec. In my opinion, D3's ability to allow near-constant changing of your skills is a very, very good thing; as has already been stated, instead of replaying the Monk, you could just play one of the other 5 classes.

See, I've played through Vanilla LoD with all 7 characters on every difficulty (yes, I'm vividly aware that I'm a geek, thank you), and I've found that, for the most part, I picked a skill set that matched my playstyle from the get-go and ran with it. Since I played Hellfire to death in the same fashion, it was fairly easy for me to know what I'd like, so there was no contest between Spearazon or Bowazon for me. The times that I did try different builds afterwards were just for that - to try different builds. I haven't completed the game on anything but normal with those alternate builds.

To me, it seems like trying those builds would be incredibly less time-consuming in D3.

darkszero said:
Inventory: you're actually intended to ignore the white items after the beginning. Also, your inventory is big enough you can pick all blue/better items for a while before it fills up. In fact, the game flow is done in such a way that your quest will bring you to town before your inventory fills up, giving you a chance to dump it however you fells.
Also, if your inventory DOES fill up when on the run, you could use this as an opportunity for a quick break, use your town portal, go to town and clear the bag, check if any item is a good upgrade, repair, talk to NPCs for idle chatter and check if any of your new skills are interesting.
This part doth bother me a bit.

Yes, I'm already familiar with simply ignoring White/Grey items for the most part (except having to check for socketed items... that was annoying). One of my favorite D2 mods actually removed all low-grade items from the drops (anything below white), which seems what D3 has done. However, in my opinion, it would've been nice to see these items simply go away.

Example: I play Dungeons and Dragons (surprise), and I'm the primary DM for my group (surprise, surprise). I would never, ever, ever have a locked, trapped chest that housed a non-magical sword, some sundries and a few gold pieces in it. That chest, unless I'm Troll-DMing, has a magic item or quest-relevant item in it. Why clutter up the game with dross? I would rather have items simply drop less often and make them more meaningful as opposed to the Monty-Haul concept that the Diablo franchise has been so heavily invested in for ~20 years.

darkszero said:
Length: it took me 16 hours to beat normal. Some idling, solo play, multiplayer with friends and with random people.
Sounds good for normal, considering "normal" is intended to be how the game is more accessible to new players. My intention for my first playthrough for normal is to get the story, much like my first playthrough of D2/LoD, so I expect it will take a while, and in higher difficulties I'll be ignoring and clicking through dialogue while my girlfriend goes, "Wait, what did he say?!"

darkszero said:
Gameplay: indeed, it's more of the diablo gameplay, but with new places, different skills and classes and fun. Hey, did I tell you it's FUN? That thing you play games for?
Someone else already mentioned the lack of "new" places, and I have to agree. I would love to see more of Sanctuary than the Desert, Arreat and Khanduras.

However, if the core play is essentially the same as D2/Lod, but improved? I, like many others, still own D2 (and D1; in terms of aesthetics and mood, I really feel the first is still the best, gummy-bear graphics and all), and still love it. Blizzard has allowed me to continue to use their Battle.net servers for free for over a decade, and has still been kind enough to continue patching and improving that game. For. Free.

Sure, that can be seen as an investment for them to keep people hot for D3, but if I get to have even more fun than before, and can FINALLY play with some new skills (as a Hellfire lover, I'm just going to play a Monk and go silly-bananas), I'm in.

Oh, in case anyone didn't notice, I do not own D3. My little brother does, and he loves it, but I still wasn't convinced. Reading darkszero's summary/review of the game has been the tipping of the scale, and now I'm certain that I will shell out the $60 for a game that is largely a simple improvement over it's incredibly fun predecessor.

vengerofthelight

Mar 21, 2012
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
*snip*The other night I went through 13k gold and over 100 Subtle Essence just to craft myself a chest piece and I was getting increasingly frustrated every time it gave me something useless, the crafting isn't exactly cheap. Like I said, I haven't played other Diablo games so I don't know if it was like this in the others, but yeah, not a big fan of the crafting chance system.
In D2 I purposely avoided crafting (it isn't crafting in the sense that you're probably used to, but we called it crafting), and crafting in D2 was infinitely more predictable, if less "accesible." I plan on making it a point to do the same in D3 (which will likely make the game more difficult for me, which is exactly what I want).

My point is: if you can get by without it, I suggest you try, otherwise we've just replaced gambling in D2 with crafting in D3.

Good design is stopping not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing you can take away, to paraphrase.

bootz

Feb 28, 2011
Absolutionis said:
This is one of the first Diablo 3 reviews out there. I'm rather glad The Escapist doesn't give a numberical score and simply tells it like it is. Good, but not amazing. It's Diablo 3 with no revolutionary changes.

Waiting for Torchlight 2.
Have you seen the torchlight 2 beta It looks EXCACTLY like Diablo 3 even with the same UI.

Excludos

Sep 14, 2008
rolfwesselius said:
Abedeus said:
Soods said:
Don't fix what isn't broken seems to be working out well for Diablo 3. The only problem I have with it is the occasional lag and DC.
Exactly. People keep forgetting that Blizzard definitely was trying to get something more and new in beta, but testers most likely found it worse than D2.
rolfwesselius said:
Im just gonna ask 1 question how is ubisoft always one drm unacceptable but diablo drm bad?
love how pc gamers love to whine about always on but when a game comes out with it they eat that shit up.
HURRR DURRRR ONLINE DRMMMM

Because Ubisoft doesn't have hackers to worry about, dupers, cheaters, maphack or other shit that ruined D2 online. Hey, you found a rare item! Too bad all the dupes and bots that run 24/7 lowered the prices so fast, you'll get 200 times less than when ladder started. Tough luck.

They solved the problem and in my opinion it wasn't a Pyhrric victory. The item, drop tables and monster tables are on the Blizzard server. Client has only textures that are useless to people making dupe methods.
Yeah yeah you blizzard fanboy protect being screwed over all you want.
The bots and dupes will still run no matter what,maphacks will be made and other shit will return no matter what.
The only reason its always on is because blizzard wants to milk fools like you all your worth.
I know right? After all, WoW has been a tornado of hackers and dupes!

The only thing that has been a problem for wow is costum servers (which isn't really a problem for the legit users), bots (which still requires a lot of time to useful, and are banned by the houndreds every day), and gold sellers (which blizzard has so brilliantly avoided entirely with D3).

Yes, of course they do it to gain money. Money to be used for further supporting the game. How is that a bad thing? Especially considering you don't have to pay a cent. All they require is for you to be online while playing it.

This is the main difference between Blizzard and Ubisoft. Ubisoft only takes, treating their costumers like rambling idiots in the process, while Blizzard takes and gives. No one is hating Valve, even thought Steam is practically one gigantic DRM machine. But they give so much back, its worth it. (Valve is also bathing in money in the process. You're telling me this is only ok if its not Blizzard doing it?)

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
rolfwesselius said:
Abedeus said:
Soods said:
Don't fix what isn't broken seems to be working out well for Diablo 3. The only problem I have with it is the occasional lag and DC.
Exactly. People keep forgetting that Blizzard definitely was trying to get something more and new in beta, but testers most likely found it worse than D2.
rolfwesselius said:
Im just gonna ask 1 question how is ubisoft always one drm unacceptable but diablo drm bad?
love how pc gamers love to whine about always on but when a game comes out with it they eat that shit up.
HURRR DURRRR ONLINE DRMMMM

Because Ubisoft doesn't have hackers to worry about, dupers, cheaters, maphack or other shit that ruined D2 online. Hey, you found a rare item! Too bad all the dupes and bots that run 24/7 lowered the prices so fast, you'll get 200 times less than when ladder started. Tough luck.

They solved the problem and in my opinion it wasn't a Pyhrric victory. The item, drop tables and monster tables are on the Blizzard server. Client has only textures that are useless to people making dupe methods.
Yeah yeah you blizzard fanboy protect being screwed over all you want.
The bots and dupes will still run no matter what,maphacks will be made and other shit will return no matter what.
The only reason its always on is because blizzard wants to milk fools like you all your worth.
Yeah, of course maphack and dupes will run.

And whenever they get banned, Blizzard gets $60 from idiots who forget that banned account = banned cdkey.

Also, you should calm down with your zealotry. You look like a fundamentalist who can't stand someone liking something he doesn't.

The world really, really doesn't revolve around you.
captcha: mea culpa. I guess that's true. I'm sorry I burst your precious bubble of self-importance.

Jachwe

Jul 29, 2010
"Diablo 3 core gameplay is same old as Diablo 2" like in "Torchlight has the same core gameplay as World of Warcraft" or "Divinity has the same core gameplay as Champions of Norrath" or like in "Diablo 3 is an third person isometric view action RPG that resolves around hacking and slashing monster to gain xp and loot but mostly loot when you hit the level cap". Like in telling me "they did not turn Diablo 3 into a FPS or cooking simulator". Good job for clarifying that.
The orbs, the new 3 monster mob elite monsters, who's abilities get frigging weird on harder difficulties, the individual "mana" for each character which will make every character's energy usage and replenishment different, no these are minor changes that I almost didn't notice and was thinking I was playing a Diablo 2 clone.

praus

Jun 21, 2010
Devoneaux said:
praus said:
ManupBatman said:
praus said:
The game play of Diablo 3 doesn't feel bland or safe to me, it feels fun and interesting. I think people under estimate how difficult that sort of thing can be to achieve.
Think you could use some explanation there my friend. Pretty much that conversation is going "I have an opinion!" "I have one too!"
Yes but I get the impression that a lot of these opinions are based off nothing. They haven't played it, they're just talking out their ass. I thought it was a bit simplistic at first too. Then as I played it, I realized there was quite a bit of complexity, well hidden beneath the surface.
There really isn't.

Go play Path of Exile, then come back and we'll talk complexity.
There is a subtly complexity having to do with the synergy between abilities or spells. Also the shear number of spells available is hidden behind the rune system. There are only 6 slots for spells you can use at any one time. However there are 4 or 5 spells that can go in each slot and each one of those spells can be augmented to make it the equivalent of a whole new spell. Learning which spells and runes to use together can be like a science, it's very fun. Also learning how and when to use which spells can change the game play completely. A lesser developer would have botched it up by just giving you a spell book full of 100s of spells.

Hafnium

Jun 15, 2009
I've played less than 10 hours, but I really like it. The dozen or so people I know that plays it all freaking love it. I think people are being whiny and see the previous games with nostalgia-tinted glasses, and D3 with the obnoxious cynicism that's so goddamn widespread in gaming audiences.

praus said:
There is a subtly complexity having to do with the synergy between abilities or spells. Also the shear number of spells available is hidden behind the rune system. There are only 6 slots for spells you can use at any one time. However there are 4 or 5 spells that can go in each slot and each one of those spells can be augmented to make it the equivalent of a whole new spell. Learning which spells and runes to use together can be like a science, it's very fun. Also learning how and when to use which spells can change the game play completely. A lesser developer would have botched it up by just giving you a spell book full of 100s of spells.
Precisely. You can also turn on elective mode, which means that you can choose any 6 skills you want, so you can take several from the same group and ignore other groups.

darkszero

Apr 1, 2010
Hey, I'm glad my post was useful for someone!

vengerofthelight said:
Sounds like Open Battle.net to me. Good stuff.
Except it's not a hacker's free zone. I stayed very, very far from that thing.

vengerofthelight said:
Sounds good for normal, considering "normal" is intended to be how the game is more accessible to new players. My intention for my first playthrough for normal is to get the story, much like my first playthrough of D2/LoD, so I expect it will take a while, and in higher difficulties I'll be ignoring and clicking through dialogue while my girlfriend goes, "Wait, what did he say?!"
I started playing Nightmare yesterday. Not a single speech was completed, and most didn't get the chance to begin. Blizzard understood that story is only relevant the first time and allows you to skip everything.
(Except if the speech is part on an event, those you have to wait. It's easy to know.)

vengerofthelight said:
Someone else already mentioned the lack of "new" places, and I have to agree. I would love to see more of Sanctuary than the Desert, Arreat and Khanduras.
Well, you do visit many places in those acts with different stuff.
Also, spoiler:
you visit the High Heavens

vengerofthelight said:
However, if the core play is essentially the same as D2/Lod, but improved? I, like many others, still own D2 (and D1; in terms of aesthetics and mood, I really feel the first is still the best, gummy-bear graphics and all), and still love it. Blizzard has allowed me to continue to use their Battle.net servers for free for over a decade, and has still been kind enough to continue patching and improving that game. For. Free.
I've played enough Diablo 1 and 2, however I never bothered much to go to really depth lengths.
Someone said earlier that you can use your pet in Torchlight to buy potions and tp/id scrolls.
You don't have such a thing in Diablo 3, because there's no mana potions neither scrolls. And health potions drop in a sufficient rate to give you how many you'll need, at least it was that way for me.
The Health Globes mechanic is fantastic, and gives an interesting twist to combat and helps to keep the place.
Health Potions are instant, heals a fair deal and have a 30+s cooldown (never bothered to check). They certainly are relevant, however you can't depend on then.

JadeWah

Nov 4, 2008
Frostbyte666 said:
Heh more I read about DIablo 3 the more I'm glad I didn't get it, then I thought lets see what torchlight 2 has to offer (below is cribbed from steam, and yes I am aware that with steam it's not truly offline):

Multiplayer - Play co-op with your friends via LAN or over the Internet for free. No subscriptions, no item sales. Our new matchmaking service lets you find friends, start new games, and join existing games. And, as always, you can play single-player offline as well.

Customizable Characters - Players will create and customize a character from one of four brand new classes. Each class can be played as either male or female, with customized cosmetic features and looks to make each individual character stand out. All new skills and loot give loads of opportunity for unique character builds.

Moddability - TorchED, the Torchlight II editor, will give players the ability to create their own mods, adding even more content to the world. Have your friends download the same mod and play together. TorchED will be available as a separate download very shortly after launch

This is also only going to cost £15 quid. Yeah will be getting this I think and encouraging my mates too as well so we can play lan coop, like we did with Diablo 2.
D3 has no subscription either, the only "problem" is that you need to be connected to Battle.net, which the majority of people have no problems with.

Customizable Characters in TL2 is a load of bull. Change face, hair and hair color, which after 15mins of play will be covered up by a helm. Male and female option is like in D3.
The skills are exactly like in TL1, which means that you'll hoard points. And stats is the same, you really only put points in one or two of the four stats available and further down the line there will only be one or two "optiomal" builds anyway, sounds similar to D2?
Then again the skills overall in TL2 are shitty and the pot spamming necessary doesn't help. It's like because they know a lot will make mods for the game, so they deliberately didn't put any effort into the skills of the main characters.

Comparing the skill and rune system to D3, it has ALOT more options for unique character builds.

Moddability - Yeah this is the one and only thing that i consider is better then D3, but only because D3 doesn't have it at all.

I also wish that TL2 beta could have showed me a better story because right now it's a copy of D2.
It's a shame that they haven't improved it more om TL1, but i guess the multiplayer coding took a lot of time. Well next up is TL3 the MMO.

praus

Jun 21, 2010
Devoneaux said:
praus said:
Devoneaux said:
praus said:
ManupBatman said:
praus said:
The game play of Diablo 3 doesn't feel bland or safe to me, it feels fun and interesting. I think people under estimate how difficult that sort of thing can be to achieve.
Think you could use some explanation there my friend. Pretty much that conversation is going "I have an opinion!" "I have one too!"
Yes but I get the impression that a lot of these opinions are based off nothing. They haven't played it, they're just talking out their ass. I thought it was a bit simplistic at first too. Then as I played it, I realized there was quite a bit of complexity, well hidden beneath the surface.
There really isn't.

Go play Path of Exile, then come back and we'll talk complexity.
Okay, prepare for a wall of text.

The rune system is simply not all that interesting and really boils down to "How do I want to explode my enemies" Sure there's some level of customization, but really the choices are not hard ones, because the game is meant to be accessable so if you pick a less than stellar skill to go with the rest, don't expect to be punished tooooo badly.

In contrast to this, Path of Exile...Well, let me start by linking you the skill tree.

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/

the tree is massive, but it's that way for a reason. This is a game where the player is meant to have total control over every aspect of their character. Do you wanna play a shadow that tanks with a barbed shield, a dagger and uses undead minions for support? You can do it. How about a ranger that dual wields axes? Doable. A marauder that uses archery and elemental damage abilities? Also doable. There are so many ways to build your character, and really "Class" in this game is practically non existent, since the only thing your class determines is where you start off in the skill tree. Then there are abilities. Rather than simply picking which ones to use, you have to equip your abilities by socketing them into your gear. Sounds simple enough at first, but all abilities are color coded according to the stat they are tied to, and level up along side you. As they level, the attribute requirement goes up with them but so does the damage. Here's where it gets tricky though. Rather than simply picking through loot to find the one that simply adds the best stats, now you need to make decisions. "Hmm, well I can equip this black stabber greatsword which is a big upgrade, but it doesn't have the sockets for Flicker strike, so I wouldn't be able to use that ability." And on top of that there is a secondary class of gems for adding on effects to your skill gems, also colored according to the stat they require most of. This ranges from adding ice armor, to adding multiple projectiles, to increasing projectile speed to giving your attacks/minions/projectiles/whatever a chance to fear the nemies they hit, youcan even link together multiple support gems in a chain with a skill gem or two, to add multiple effects to the skills they link up with, so I could have an explosive arrow gem linked together with extra fire/ice/lightning/chaos damages, increased casting speed reduced mana costs and so on. But these only work when the socket they fit into is linked to the socket(s) your skill gem(s) is in.

Now this might all sound like it becomes really difficult to find the right gear, but it's really not, as there are also numerous types of consumables for altering and manipulating the stats, sockets, rarity, requisites and everything else on the item you can possibly think of. It is entirely possible to take an item that would have been otherwise useless to you, and with the right consumables (Some of which are hard to come by), make it a very big upgrade.

Now to be clear, i'm not saying Diablo 3 was bad. Certainly not, it was very well polished and while the wizard is underwhelming and lacks visceral appeal, the game itself was a relatively fun experience for me. But let's not pretend this game somehow has depth to it that isn't there. In reality, the game is streamlined, shallow and simplistic. Especially when compared to other games like it.
We'll just have to agree to disagree then. I see complexity where you do not. I know how much work it takes to get Diablo 3's system of spells to seem easy to use and master when it could very easily not have come out that way. The shear number of abilities and their different combinations could have come out very badly if done by some one else. At least you've played it and come to an opinion, I can respect that. I've read several other posts where people seem to have decided they know everything about the game without even playing it.

Lord_Jaroh

Ad-Free Finally!
Apr 24, 2007
Denamic said:
Well, it's Diablo 3.
They did exactly what the fans wanted.
They didn't want drastic changes or innovation.
They wanted Diablo, and they got Diablo made better than ever before.
Just like with they did with StarCraft 2.
I wish that was what Blizzard did! Instead we got a Diablo made by a dev team that doesn't know what made the original games so great. Now it is just a resounding "meh". It seems they cut a bunch of content to add later in expansion packs I'm guessing. Don't worry, once you spend $180 you'll get a full game...