Diablo Gets Demolished, Hardcore Style

Clearing the Eye

Jun 6, 2012
rhizhim said:
and he archieved this while constantly experiencing DDOS attacks from some stupid skript kiddies
I wonder if that was DDoS or if there was another reason for those download spikes.

Any idea why anyone would want to DDoS him?

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Clearing the Eye said:
rhizhim said:
and he archieved this while constantly experiencing DDOS attacks from some stupid skript kiddies
I wonder if that was DDoS or if there was another reason for those download spikes.

Jealousy? He apparently has a bit of a pedigree for being the first to do a lot of things.

Clearing the Eye

Jun 6, 2012
OhJohnNo said:
Clearing the Eye said:
rhizhim said:

Jealousy? He apparently has a bit of a pedigree for being the first to do a lot of things.
Ugh. I know people can be horrible little creatures, but I'm still surprised anyone is that pathetic. Dedicating a portion of your life to try and interfere with someone else having fun and achieving something that means a lot to them? Please let there be another explanation for his spikes. I don't think my spirit can take it today, lol.

Th37thTrump3t

Nov 12, 2009
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Mumorpuger said:
Was there a prize or something involved? This gets the same response as the people who like to post "First!!!" in response to any post, or people who brag about reaching level eleventy-five or whatever the current cap is in WoW first...

"Who cares??"

I'm not certain which aspect irks me more, the folks who do this because they think it's something worthwhile, or the people who line up to say "congrats!!!" immediately afterwards.
Maybe you should just stopped being irked by these trivial things, and realize gaming in general is pointless.
If that is your mindset... why are you here?

OT: Good for him. I certainly couldn't do it, and the people who are bashing him for it are probably unable to do it and are jealous of him being able to do it.

CAPTCHA

Mushroom Camper
Sep 30, 2009
Quiet Stranger said:
Okay so what i'm getting from my fellow Escapists is that the guy who done it cheated. Where does it say that he cheated?
*He "demonstrated" item duplication.
*He paused the game upon death, switched computers and logged in again to avoid the consequence.

That is all the cheating that I know of. Things that go against the spirit of the game however:

*He made use of bots to farm D2, then used the profits from that to buy the best gear in D3.
*He power leveled by exploiting the Kuell boss glitch.
*He farmed safe areas over and over for loot without engaging enemies (Pots, R-chests, T-goblins).

Overall he only managed to play a fucked up version of SC by removing the penalty of player death from the game. He's not alone in that regards however. It seems most people who play the game do the same. I've even seen people selling game progression for gods sake.

So congrats to this guy, I guess. Of all the cheaters and exploiters in the game he stands tall.

Elate

Nov 21, 2010
lacktheknack said:
Mumorpuger said:
Was there a prize or something involved? This gets the same response as the people who like to post "First!!!" in response to any post, or people who brag about reaching level eleventy-five or whatever the current cap is in WoW first...

"Who cares??"

I'm not certain which aspect irks me more, the folks who do this because they think it's something worthwhile, or the people who line up to say "congrats!!!" immediately afterwards.
I dunno, the first guy to beat "I Wanna Be The Guy" on Nightmare mode got lots of congratulations... and calls to be locked in a straightjacket. It really IS an achievement in some cases.

Observer: "You beat it on NIGHTMARE? ... You're insane."

Player: "I know."
Well yeah, that I can understand, playing I Wanna Be The Guy, is like purposefully opting to be water boarded for a year straight. Diablo 3? eh. I personally find other things more impressive than just "Beating the game on really hard mode" like for example that guy on BF3 who gets killstreaks by BOPPING PEOPLE ON THE HEAD WITH A PLANE. THAT takes skill, beating a game on really hard mode, just takes patience.

Ympulse

Feb 15, 2011
Djinn8 said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Okay so what i'm getting from my fellow Escapists is that the guy who done it cheated. Where does it say that he cheated?
*He paused the game upon death, switched computers and logged in again to avoid the consequence.

That is all the cheating that I know of. Things that go against the spirit of the game however:

*He made use of bots to farm D2, then used the profits from that to buy the best gear in D3.
*He farmed safe areas over and over for loot without engaging enemies (Pots, R-chests, T-goblins).

Overall he only managed to play a fucked up version of SC by removing the penalty of player death from the game. He's not alone in that regards however. It seems most people who play the game do the same. I've even seen people selling game progression for gods sake.

So congrats to this guy, I guess. Of all the cheaters and exploiters in the game he stands tall.
Pretty much this. He must be proud of himself, or something. That's like boasting about your KDR in a shooter, when you're using downloaded skills.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Elate said:
Well yeah, that I can understand, playing I Wanna Be The Guy, is like purposefully opting to be water boarded for a year straight. Diablo 3? eh. I personally find other things more impressive than just "Beating the game on really hard mode" like for example that guy on BF3 who gets killstreaks by BOPPING PEOPLE ON THE HEAD WITH A PLANE. THAT takes skill, beating a game on really hard mode, just takes patience.
Hardcore means that when you die you can't play your character any more. It's stats and such will be saved for you to look at later but for all other intents and purposes your character is basically deleted upon death.

A patient player without skill would just end up doing the first part of the game over and over and over and over again with new characters.

This guy beat the game without dying once, on a difficulty where apparently mobs can one-shot you if you're not careful.

OT: Congratulations to the guy, quite a feat. Not something I'd ever do myself, but then again I don't need to run marathons to congratulate the winner.

Th37thTrump3t

Nov 12, 2009
Th37thTrump3t said:
Mumorpuger said:

"Who cares??"

Maybe you should just stopped being irked by these trivial things, and realize gaming in general is pointless.
If that is your mindset... why are you here?
It's not my mindset. I was just illustrating how stupid this "But it won't make you any money and it's pointless" argument is in regards to this kind of stuff. (Well, in this case, it actually will make him money through a youtube partnership but you know...) For the vast majority of us, gaming is pretty pointless. We have fun while playing and that's it, and that's enough too, but then we shouldn't turn around and rag on someone when he sets up a record like this.
Ah, must have misinterpreted the tone of your post. I apologize.

Elate

Nov 21, 2010
Hagi said:
Yes I am aware what it means, as it was stated in the OP, captain obvious, but in my opinion, that still isn't skill, it takes skill to do something which is physically difficult to do by the mechanics of the game. Not something which can be obtained though planning and patience.

TheCaptain said:
Hum, I guess so. I suppose since there are in fact people who do enjoy reading about this and feel it deserves applause, then why not. I just can't seem wrap my head around this.
Pretty much this.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Elate said:
Hagi said:
Yes I am aware what it means, as it was stated in the OP, captain obvious, but in my opinion, that still isn't skill, it takes skill to do something which is physically difficult to do by the mechanics of the game. Not something which can be obtained though planning and patience.
Right... no such thing as skill in say chess, I mean every single idiot can move chess pieces. I mean it's all just planning and patience. Isn't anything in that game that's physically difficult to do by the mechanics of the game.

I think your definition might be a bit flawed.

remmus

Aug 31, 2009
Mumorpuger said:
"Who cares??"
The people who genuinely love games? Those who appreciate the competitive spirit and drive needed to do this? The ones that share a community spirit with fellow gamers, and can enjoy the skills of his/her fellow gamers?

There is quite a few that do.

Coreless

Aug 19, 2011
Djinn8 said:
Quiet Stranger said:

And what is crazy is that he was doing a lot of this on his livestream for everyone to see. I dropped in a few times while browsing twitch and saw him doing that quest exploit with Zoltan Kulle in Act 2 where you could turn in the quest endlessly by logging out and back in so he could power level his Barb to 60. I also love how how his fans are ok with him exploiting because they say "blizzard should have done a better job with bugs".

He even has youtube videos trying to explain away his exploiting by calling it "clever use of badly designed game" lol. If you have to come up with excuses to explain your actions then you know your doing something that was never intended by the game developers. This stuff doesn't surprise me to be honest, coming from WoW there have been countless top end guilds suspended and caught exploiting raid bosses to get kills and this guy was amongst them. Remember Yogg 0?

Congrats to him for getting the kill, but just wish it could have been done by someone who didn't need to exploit to get there. He is obviously a very dedicated and skilled player so it boggles my mind that he would even need to exploit in the first place but I guess when it comes to a world first...anything goes.

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
thebobmaster said:
Mumorpuger said:
Mygaffer said:
Mumorpuger said:

"Who cares??"

It is not easy to do what they did, why do you feel the need to tear down their accomplishment? They may not have cured cancer but most gamers I know love this kind of stuff. But I guess you are too cool for it.

EDIT: And the "gamers are virgins" thing from other gamers? Really? Why is it that the Escapist forums are full of some of the more hateful little spewers on the Internet? Still mostly good people, but the spewers, they really spew.
There was no accomplishment to tear down.
I really hate to be "that guy", but if there is no accomplishment to tear down...you do it. After all, must be easy if it isn't an accomplishment of some sort.
I can think of several different, better ways to accomplish an ultimately meaningless task. The difference is that the activities I do for fun (yes, I recognize these guys hopefully had fun, and that's what should be most important with games) don't inspire me to go "Look at me! I did it first!" because I don't expect praise for things like that.

NameIsRobertPaulson said:
He (and his friend) did something no one had ever done before. I would say that is an accomplishment. Or are accomplishments only for things YOU like?

OT: That couldn't of been easy. Congrats.
WhiteTigerShiro said:
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is the biggest obstacle in the gaming industry becoming anything more than what it is today. When even our own community can't look at our achievements and say "Wow, nice job", then how can we expect that anyone is going to? Do you really think that baseball got where it was because everyone said "Psh, so you can his a ball really far, so what?" and then magically a multimillion dollar empire just came out of nowhere?

Of course, I'll bet that in 9/10 cases, people like Mum here would be 100% demanding attention if he was anywhere near as skilled. In fact, I'll bet that's just it, the nay-sayers wish it was them getting the attention, but they're too incapable of putting the effort into getting it. So like the jealous loner who wishes the girl would have dated him instead of that other guy, you look for every reason to try and discredit everything that made her choose him over you.
No, these people were the first people to be a game on a hard difficulty. Whoopty-doo. It has zero bearing on "the gaming industry becoming more."

Things that DO further my preferred industry:

Gamers working together to find a cure for aids [http://playstationlifestyle.net/2011/09/20/video-games-and-gamers-help-unlock-the-cure-to-aids/]

Gamers working with the Navy in order to stop pirates [http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2011/05/navy-crowdsources-pirate-fight-to-online-gamers/]

Microscopy surgeons reducing their chance of erring thanks to practice gleaned from video games [http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4685909/ns/technology_and_science-games/t/surgeons-may-err-less-playing-video-games/]

These further our goal of having gaming be more legitimized, and what I consider accomplishments. Not being "ZOMG FIRST!" at killing Diablo 3's final boss. We should be cheering the former on, and greeting the latter with a resounding "Meh."

And to address your concerns about me, no, I would not demand attention for something this... in the end, pointless. To paraphrase a comedian: "I once overheard a guy say 'Man, I'm really good at Diablo.' Which is the same thing as if he had said, 'Man, I'm not good at a lot of things."

Look, it's really obvious that we disagree on this matter, and rather than talk in circles trying to convince each other that their wrong, let's just agree to disagree. To each their own, as the say.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Congratulations to them in their skill at never catching a lag spike while entering a dungeon and exiting the screen freeze to their character deaths. Great job guys!

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Coreless said:
Djinn8 said:
Quiet Stranger said:

And what is crazy is that he was doing a lot of this on his livestream for everyone to see. I dropped in a few times while browsing twitch and saw him doing that quest exploit with Zoltan Kulle in Act 2 where you could turn in the quest endlessly by logging out and back in so he could power level his Barb to 60. I also love how how his fans are ok with him exploiting because they say "blizzard should have done a better job with bugs".

He even has youtube videos trying to explain away his exploiting by calling it "clever use of badly designed game" lol. If you have to come up with excuses to explain your actions then you know your doing something that was never intended by the game developers. This stuff doesn't surprise me to be honest, coming from WoW there have been countless top end guilds suspended and caught exploiting raid bosses to get kills and this guy was amongst them. Remember Yogg 0?

Congrats to him for getting the kill, but just wish it could have been done by someone who didn't need to exploit to get there. He is obviously a very dedicated and skilled player so it boggles my mind that he would even need to exploit in the first place but I guess when it comes to a world first...anything goes.
He's actually one of the people who got the first lich king kill rolled back because they exploited the hell out of it. Patterns...

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
Props to this guy. I'll watch the whole fight later, but I hope he acknowledges all the people that helped him lol. This guy had a huge team of people helping him farm and level. Still quite an accomplishment.

Edit: Looks like lots of people woke up on the wrong side of the bed today or are just out to hate.