Diablo III Is Broken

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
My basic problem with D3 is that it kicks your teeth in, but doesn't give you a reason to go through that sort of punishment. The game doesn't give you a reason to actually do anything in it. There's nothing to look forward to. Sure, there are rare spawn monsters, events, and dungeon areas, but there's nothing that you get out of doing them other than to say that you did them. You don't even always get an achievement for it (not that I'm a big achievement hunter).

Not only is the random loot mostly useless, it's often nonsensical. Very often, I've seen items drops that are specific to one class but have abilities and stats that are used by another class that can't even use that particular type of item (belts and weapons are usually the worst for this). Further, the random loot has a ridiculously large downward variance such you can be in Act 2, Inferno and be getting drops that are more appropriate to Act 3/4, Nightmare or Act 1/2, Hell. You're out there getting your shit pushed-in with a telephone pole by some of these elites, and you're handed a drop that's more appropriate to a character at level 52, instead a level 60 working his way through Inferno. Even worse, the item is still not that useful even to the level 52, and may have the non-sense problem that it's specced for a class that can't even use the item.

Once you go through that enough times, you just no longer feel any sense of reward at all for anything. You get to the point you half-way don't even look at the drops, not even the rare yellow drops. You just identify them, head to the vendor, and blindly click the mouse on every item in your inventory.

Also, if you really want to talk about the drop in players, the real thing to understand is that the most severe drop-off occurred at a very specific point in the game's life, the release of patch 1.0.3. The changes that occurred in the game after 1.0.3 just made the game completely pointless. Immediately after the release of that patch, the number of public games went from 20k at peak to just under 2k at peak, and has trickled downward since (last I saw, we were at just a little over 900 at peak). Nowadays, most people just pop on for a few minutes to check the AH for a deal and then log off. They don't even bother to play the game.

Yes, D3 is a short-term financial success because so many of us were stupid enough to buy into it. However, it is difficult for me to shake the feeling that Blizzard may have traded away long-term corporate viability for this short-term gain, because I've read a number of voices expressing that they have little to no interest in buy anymore games from Blizzard, and they are certainly not interested in any potential expansion for D3. Of course, only time will tell on that. We all know gamers aren't very good at sticking to their guns when you dangle a new game in front of them.

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Nimzabaat said:
Yeah whining and complaining about an option that you can completely ignore doesn't seem productive. It's not like the ME3 ending that you HAD to experience if you wanted to complete the game. The bottom line is that if you have a problem with the RMAH, it's all on you. As a player you decided to click that button. You decided to use that feature. Grow up and take some responsibility for a change.
"The Auction House isn't simply an add-on, it's literally a game changer. Because players have full access to hundreds of thousands of items they'd statistically never interact with during natural play, enemies in the game have to accommodate by providing a challenge equivalent to superior gear. And it's not just about item level; it's about options. Stacking certain stats, and designing your gear set with an encompassing strategy (as opposed to the "this is the best helmet I've found, these are the best boots"-type scavenging otherwise required) is a colossal boon to any aspiring Nephalem. In fact, the advantage is so substantial that the game's difficulty is adjusted to it by necessity, thereby reinforcing, if not demanding, the Auction House's use to remain competitive against the A.I."

So, to sum this up for you, the point is that the Auction House (nowhere does this mention the RMAH) can not be ignored. It's essentially required to even attempt a pass through Inferno (and realistically speaking, Nightmare). Saying that "choosing to click that button" is somehow the fault of the player is the same as telling someone playing ME3 that they merely chose to use cover, so if they don't like how it works, then they should just stand out in the open mid-firefight instead.

And, as far as me growing up and taking responsibility "for a change," do we ... know each other? Or are you referring to a similar post you skimmed and took issue with?

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
Yep Blizzard basically broke the fundamental core of what makes a loot based rpg satisfying to begin with. By the time anyone gets to inferno the game goes from "oh boy I hope I get something cool" to "ah crap I can't progress at all until I upgrade... guess I better grind for gold for several hours... yay"

So it's not surprising at all most people have eventually just said fuck this and left the game. I eventually did too after getting to the end of Act 2 on inferno (after many expensive upgrades) and just being sick and tired of dying not because my skills were lacking or my gear wasn't amazing but because the game was designed to make every single new encounter so brutally unfair that the only way to succeed was to go grind some more and hope to be able to afford even better gear that got increasingly rarer.

I do hope Blizzard realizes their mistake in the inevitable expansion pack because if they don't I really can't see myself returning to the game ever again.

shellshock3d

Nov 20, 2010
All of you are complete whiners. (Also if you've played 200 hours already that's a whole lot, over 2 hours on average per day.) I love the game. I didn't buy it when it first came out because I didn't have the money, but I played my boyfriend's copy for a bit and then decided it was worth it and bought the game myself. We play together and are halfway through hell difficulty on our characters. I personally only used the auction house once to see what it was like and to buy the dye I wanted and have never used it since. I don't feel the need to. Why should you feel the need to visit the auction house? If you get to inferno and are constantly dying, then you need to grind some more. I love the story and the characters. I love everything about it. Maybe I like it because I never played Diablo II and you all are just butthurt because it doesn't have the stuff you liked but I like it and I'm going to continue playing it and yeah while I may quit after I level up a few characters, it's one of those games I can come back to after a few months and keep playing.

Nimzabaat

Feb 1, 2010
Mike Kayatta said:
Nimzabaat said:
Yeah whining and complaining about an option that you can completely ignore doesn't seem productive. It's not like the ME3 ending that you HAD to experience if you wanted to complete the game. The bottom line is that if you have a problem with the RMAH, it's all on you. As a player you decided to click that button. You decided to use that feature. Grow up and take some responsibility for a change.
"The Auction House isn't simply an add-on, it's literally a game changer. Because players have full access to hundreds of thousands of items they'd statistically never interact with during natural play, enemies in the game have to accommodate by providing a challenge equivalent to superior gear. And it's not just about item level; it's about options. Stacking certain stats, and designing your gear set with an encompassing strategy (as opposed to the "this is the best helmet I've found, these are the best boots"-type scavenging otherwise required) is a colossal boon to any aspiring Nephalem. In fact, the advantage is so substantial that the game's difficulty is adjusted to it by necessity, thereby reinforcing, if not demanding, the Auction House's use to remain competitive against the A.I."

So, to sum this up for you, the point is that the Auction House (nowhere does this mention the RMAH) can not be ignored. It's essentially required to even attempt a pass through Inferno (and realistically speaking, Nightmare). Saying that "choosing to click that button" is somehow the fault of the player is the same as telling someone playing ME3 that they merely chose to use cover, so if they don't like how it works, then they should just stand out in the open mid-firefight instead.

And, as far as me growing up and taking responsibility "for a change," do we ... know each other? Or are you referring to a similar post you skimmed and took issue with?
No, sorry Mike, that wasn't intended as a personal attack on you or anything. I've just been arguing this same point with someone else who wasn't able to defend their point of view effectively or maturely. That individual even made a couple of great arguments about how items dropped in the game are often better than what people buy on the Auction House.

I do stand beside the fact that you can play the entire game without ever opening the Auction House (real money or otherwise). I played the hell (no pun intended) out of Diablo 2 with the expansion without ever buying an item online. I intend to do the same with D3. Your post is slamming an option that can be ignored. Now it may not be easily ignored but it's still up to the player.

I do like the comment about ME3, because a lot of the time in ME3 I was "choosing" to run, while my Shepard was "choosing" to take cover behind an invisible pixel and get shot in the back :)

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Nimzabaat said:
So, "responsible" now means "Spend hundreds of hours grinding for loot in a video game".
Gotcha.

Pardon me for being a tad confused here, but that statement in the context I'm reading it just sounds hilarious.

Nimzabaat

Feb 1, 2010
Atmos Duality said:
Nimzabaat said:
So, "responsible" now means "Spend hundreds of hours grinding for loot in a video game".
Gotcha.

Pardon me for being a tad confused here, but that statement in the context I'm reading it just sounds hilarious.
You mean that Diablo 3 turned out just like Diablo 2? Yes, that literally drives me insane with laughter.

So you think that being responsible is spending real money on a virtual item that may be acquired in a loot drop from the next creature you kill or chest you open? As opposed to playing the game and showing a little bit of patience? You'd rather pay a couple of hundred dollars (if some of those posters are accurate) to get a virtual item that will be forgotten when Diablo 4 or (in my case) Borderlands 2 comes out? I know, I know, when I say it like that it just sounds stupid...

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Nimzabaat said:
You mean that Diablo 3 turned out just like Diablo 2? Yes, that literally drives me insane with laughter.
Eh...it's not quite as bad as Diablo 2.
I could complete pre-1.10 D2 with mediocre/shitty items as most characters by myself.

(then Blizzard had to be dicks and make Runewords the End-All-Be-All equipment. Either that or you'd get stuck in Chaos Sanctuary dealing with fun-tastic immunities)

If nothing else, I could fire up a LAN game with my dad or sis and rock Hell Mode no-questions-asked.

So you think that being responsible is spending real money on a virtual item that may be acquired in a loot drop from the next creature you kill or chest you open? As opposed to playing the game and showing a little bit of patience? You'd rather pay a couple of hundred dollars (if some of those posters are accurate) to get a virtual item that will be forgotten when Diablo 4 or (in my case) Borderlands 2 comes out? I know, I know, when I say it like that it just sounds stupid...
Oh it IS stupid. I've been against cash-for-digital-items since it became an option.
I completely agree with that.

What you call "patience", well, I say that after spending 200 hours playing a game and being unable to complete it solely because of low drops rates...that's insane.

Insanely bad game design.
It's artificial difficulty, and it sucks.

(Incidentally, I too, am looking forward to Borderlands 2. And Torchlight 2)

Artemis923

Dec 25, 2008
I did 12 years of Diablo 2. It's one of my favorite games of all time; it took everything I loved about the first one and expanded and improved it.

D3 comes out...and I hate it. I mark it as one of the biggest disappointments in my gaming experience, and the end of my loyalty to Blizzard.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Hearing this does not surprise me, my brother stopped playing it the moment he finished it and told me he prob won't play it again for ages.

This is why when I needed a Diablo type game, I installed Titan Quest and its expansion. Because when I played D3 on my brothers computer for a while, I got bored and it didn't feel like Diablo to me.

I am having fun with Titan quest, picked it up cheap at a local store, plus I love Greek Mythology.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Artemis923 said:
I did 12 years of Diablo 2. It's one of my favorite games of all time; it took everything I loved about the first one and expanded and improved it.

D3 comes out...and I hate it. I mark it as one of the biggest disappointments in my gaming experience, and the end of my loyalty to Blizzard.
This is my exact feelings and it's really sad. It even got me to take my pre-order off HoS. Even if they released warcraft 4 (been dying for a release) I don't think I will ever trust blizzard the same way again.

IDS3Remix

Jun 10, 2011
Can't wait for Diablo 4 to hit shelves, or the Expansion to Diablo 3. Regardless of how hard people complained, and how fast it got dropped, it will sell in droves, because gamers never seem to learn, or care when a publisher/developer gets away with shit like this. I don't see ActiBliz caring either. Isn't Diablo 3 still the best sold PC game in recent years, if not ever? They already made their money, they don't have a reason to support it at this point, unless they're losing money from it... If that happens, QUICK FIX!

VonBrewskie

Apr 9, 2009
his1nightmare said:
In the end Diablo 3 is simply one thing, a terrible failure from all angles. The world just needed to understand that, which took time. When Diablo 3 appeared everyone was like... nice.
Now, some months later, it's not much less a failure than Bioshock 2 or Crysis 2.

I personally couldn't stand literally anything from this game anymore already during the levelling of my second character.
Don't feel like going into detail anymore, I'm just waiting for the game I waited for from the start, Torchlight 2.
Yeah. Here's hoping TL2 comes through with the win. I played D3 obsessively for a couple of months. Got three characters to Act 2 Inferno. Then I just...got bored man. There was little to no incentive to play Inferno with my friends, and the invincible mobs I often ran into made the fun factor drop dramatically. The smoothness of the game was lost, and I just lost interest and started playing other stuff.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Don't worry. Torchlight 2 and Borderlands 2 will fill the hole this game has left you guys with.

At first I was really excited for Diablo 3, then I was on the fence when I heard about the always online, then I completely lost interest when I heard about the auction house.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Hammeroj said:
Kross said:
The problem to me is that the items lost almost all of their personality/uniqueness. Sets are near non-existent, and the ones you can get have terrible incremental bonuses. Legendaries are fixed level, and there's only a handful that offer a useful mechanic (Justice Lantern, String of Ears, etc). For a game that is so much about the items you get, and where much of the complaints revolve around how you get those items, they sure did their best at making the items as generic/boring as possible.
I'm not quoting to disagree here, but rather to illustrate this point. By doing shameless advertising.

To whoever doesn't know what people are talking about when we're pointing out that Diablo 3 has absolutely no interesting items, check this list [http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/12056] of Path of Exile uniques. Note that even disregarding the personalities of the items, unique/legendary items in any decent loot game are actually good, unlike in D3, where they're not only generic but complete shit the vast majority of the time.
I didn't even know about this problem but I think that would be the biggest piss off of all. The only loot driven game I've played is Borderlands and I was always excited when I saw an orange gun because it was pretty much guaranteed to be a great weapon. A lot of the legendary weapons had unique effects too like shooting through shields, healing you, regenerating ammo (although that loses it's awesomneness later on), emptying the entire clip when fired while scoped, shot gun sniper rifles, huge elemental effects/proc chance. And then there are the pearlescent weapons added by the Knoxx DLC. Every one of those weapons had a unique effect and were worth the amount of time farming to get them!

The whole point of loot games is to try and get cool unique gear. If you take the uniquness out of the gear, it would become very boring and underwhelming.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Mike Kayatta said:
Diablo III Is Broken

How the Auction House sapped the fun from Diablo III?s end-game.

Read Full Article
The RMAH has too heavily impacted nearly every aspect of the game.

As you rightly noted, it altered the difficulty curve to account for the fact that, statistically, someone is selling the belt you need. The usual power creep is accelerated by the availability of items... as long as you have the cash to afford it.

That means most of your run-throughs, like mine, were probably quick, easy gold runs. Nephalem gots to get paid, yo. So a lot of my energy (and I know I'm not alone) was spent finding the best and fastest ways to get hold of gold.

...but then we have the Real Money AH, which is Blizzard's long-term monetization plan. Gold gets in the way of that. So, if you follow your patch notes, each "fix" has also served the purpose of making it harder to get hold of gold. Ostensibly, it's to keep the gold sellers from being able to use their bots to produce untold riches, but it also conveniently makes it harder for Average Joe to get enough for that damnable belt.

Gold drops less. You're penalized for logging in/out too quickly to take advantage of a farming spot. And while they lowered the costs for smithing and gemcrafting, they simultaneously quadrupled the repair rate. Why? Because no one's using smithing, since it's unlikely to produce anything useful (being the equivalent of the billion monkeys with a billion typewriters trying to write Shakespeare).

The game demands loot. Loot demands gold. Gold demands unreasonable amounts of time. But thankfully Blizzard has provided us an out: We can just spend real cash (and give them a cut). Really, this is the problem with Diablo III -- the cash grab was just too blatant, too transparent. All the usual tricks with none of the disguise. A little too much "box," not enough "Skinner."

Lhynn

Oct 7, 2011
called it a year ago and never bought it.
i honestly cant believe some people did...

The only issue here is not the AH or the always online DRM, its the people that isnt smart enough to stay away from a game that couldnt have possibly been any good, and that it was obvius if you did a 10 min. research.

Sadly, when the consumer buys a faulty product its just telling the developers that they love their crap and that they should keep feeding them the same thing.

Rythe

Mar 28, 2009
This whole argument to me is meh. You didn't see this coming how? This ruins the game how?

Diablo 3 feels very much like vanilla Diablo 2 to me, which is to say that yes, Diablo 3 took a few steps back while taking a few different steps forward. The problem isn't the auction house, the problem is the loot and the drop rate/table. The problem is the genre.

You see, I always had this thing in LoD Diablo 2 where my druid got most of the way through Nightmare or the very beginning of Hell and then hit a brick wall where my weapon just couldn't cut it anymore. I spent hours and hours doing Mephisto runs, etc hoping for a drop that never came. Repeat every few months or years or so. Diablo 3 is pretty much the same experience if you don't use the auction house, only with better combat and far less tedious character customization. That said, the character customization between the two is different enough that I can see why it rubs some people the wrong way where I vastly prefer it in D3. My opinion is that Diablo 3 is markedly superior in the meat of actually playing the game.

But going back to Vanilla D2, the itemization there was very similar if maybe only slightly superior to what D3 has now, and D3's drop rate and loot table is only slightly worse too. But those two slightlies translate pretty strongly by the time you hit Inferno, so it's pretty insufferable for most casual players and LoD D2 vets who've done it all too many times before. D3 is slightly inferior/equivalent to vanilla D2 loot-wise, while markedly inferior to LoD D2, and utterly inferior to loot in current LoD Patch 1.x. The loot being the part that keeps people playing these games forever. Which is why people look at the two and call Diablo 3's 'end game' broken.

Personally, I thought it was pretty obvious that Blizzard left things off Diablo 3, especially loot-wise, for the just as obvious unannounced expansion. When D3 gets its expansion, I would then compare it to present LoD patch 1.x to see how the two stack up against each other. While it is fair to compare the two now, it's kinda missing the big picture, I think.

Yes, Blizzard gimped the game, a bit too much as far as loot goes, but the currently released Diablo 3 is still worth the price tag in every other aspect (story strongly debateably so. Personally, I very much enjoy the Templar and Scoundrel banter, which makes up for the rote Blizzard story in many ways). Would Blizzard have dodged a fair chunk of this firestorm if the loot was up to snuff? Yes, but I can see why they didn't go that route. Either way, it's a risk they decided to take.

Additional note: The server/client logic that kicks in with multiplayer modes of LoD D2 sucks, even if you're the LAN host playing solo. I constantly have to game the logic on my werewolf druid to try and get the Fury attack to actually hit things over it's multiple strikes. Or even with enemies not being where they appear. The 'lag' in D3 is generally a huge step up* as far as my experience has been. *Probably werewolf druid specific in large part, but still.

Simonoly

Oct 17, 2011
Gosh, I didn't realise the AH was having such a negative impact on people's experience with this game. I actually stopped playing the game when I got to Act 4 on normal as I realised I wasn't actually having any fun, so I never really got into the whole AH thing.

How difficult is it to create a decent dungeon crawler? It's a pretty straight forward formula and Blizzard pretty much defined the genre yet they seem to be struggling of late.