Diablo III Is Broken

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Bah, Blizzard are just a bunch of money-grubbing bastards whose greed makes EA look like lil' Timmy running a lemonade stand.

Yeah...I'm still pissed off that they decided to split Star Craft II into 3 separate games on the grounds of "We wanted to put so much into the game we couldn't fit it all on one disc!" Given today's technology, I find that statement to be highly doubtful. But even if that is the case........................have they never heard of releasing a multi-disc game? No. Clearly it's much more fun to charge players 3 times to get the full game (for those like me that care more about the campaign and story than the multiplayer) because people had been waiting well over a decade for the game and you know they'll buy it regardless of what they do.

So yeah, fuck Blizzard.

P.S. And fuck Square-Enix while we're at it. :p

Danceofmasks

Jul 16, 2010
To people who don't think the AH is at fault, look at it this way.
Diablo 3 is a pretty damn good game, IF you assume neither the auction house nor inferno difficulty exists.

m19

Jun 13, 2012
I never beat D2 on all difficulty levels because I got bored of the same content long before...

vezon

Jun 21, 2012
I'm not surprised. And yes Blizzard can't change anything about it, because, u have to understand 1st was AuctionHouse than was Diablo. Thas why Diablo 1st started as MMO, thats why is alltimeconection. AHouse idea appeared probably ~2006, because of WoW and D2 black market, but by that time it was to late to add in WoW, so they had to create a new game for it, and Diablo is the most perfect for it.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
jon_sf said:
Except for the fact that it has sold over 10 million copies [http://www.imediamonkey.com/2012/08/05/diablo-3-overtakes-warcraft-with-10-million-sales/], which is a massive success from Blizzard's/Activision's perspective.
You can't measure success by sales alone. Their calculations will likely have factored in a sustained playerbase, potential add-ons and so forth. This was one expensive game to make.

Not to mention the damage to the Blizzard and Diablo brands which you could reasonably put into seven to nine figure spheres. (Based on the fact that Brandirectory gives the value of BlizzardActivision's brand as about $2,8 billion http://brandirectory.com/profile/activision-blizzard )

zinho73

Feb 3, 2011
Nimzabaat said:
Mike Kayatta said:
Nimzabaat said:
Yeah whining and complaining about an option that you can completely ignore doesn't seem productive. It's not like the ME3 ending that you HAD to experience if you wanted to complete the game. The bottom line is that if you have a problem with the RMAH, it's all on you. As a player you decided to click that button. You decided to use that feature. Grow up and take some responsibility for a change.
"The Auction House isn't simply an add-on, it's literally a game changer. Because players have full access to hundreds of thousands of items they'd statistically never interact with during natural play, enemies in the game have to accommodate by providing a challenge equivalent to superior gear. And it's not just about item level; it's about options. Stacking certain stats, and designing your gear set with an encompassing strategy (as opposed to the "this is the best helmet I've found, these are the best boots"-type scavenging otherwise required) is a colossal boon to any aspiring Nephalem. In fact, the advantage is so substantial that the game's difficulty is adjusted to it by necessity, thereby reinforcing, if not demanding, the Auction House's use to remain competitive against the A.I."

So, to sum this up for you, the point is that the Auction House (nowhere does this mention the RMAH) can not be ignored. It's essentially required to even attempt a pass through Inferno (and realistically speaking, Nightmare). Saying that "choosing to click that button" is somehow the fault of the player is the same as telling someone playing ME3 that they merely chose to use cover, so if they don't like how it works, then they should just stand out in the open mid-firefight instead.

And, as far as me growing up and taking responsibility "for a change," do we ... know each other? Or are you referring to a similar post you skimmed and took issue with?
No, sorry Mike, that wasn't intended as a personal attack on you or anything. I've just been arguing this same point with someone else who wasn't able to defend their point of view effectively or maturely. That individual even made a couple of great arguments about how items dropped in the game are often better than what people buy on the Auction House.

I do stand beside the fact that you can play the entire game without ever opening the Auction House (real money or otherwise). I played the hell (no pun intended) out of Diablo 2 with the expansion without ever buying an item online. I intend to do the same with D3. Your post is slamming an option that can be ignored. Now it may not be easily ignored but it's still up to the player.

I do like the comment about ME3, because a lot of the time in ME3 I was "choosing" to run, while my Shepard was "choosing" to take cover behind an invisible pixel and get shot in the back :)
Diablo 2 was very easy to play without buying anything.

Diablo 3 is simply not the same because even your skills are tied to the items, so, if you cannot find a reasonable upgrade (which is common) you have nowhere to go: you cannot outlevel the enemies, your skills will not hit hard enough and you cannot compensate with skill due to huge hitboxes, slow char movement and a lot of elite abilities that simply take out the control from the player (and in Inferno you even have to deal with enrage timers so you cannot even kite).

It is theoretically possible to not use the AH, but in practice it is simply not doable unless you are extremely lucky. And I mean extremely.

zinho73

Feb 3, 2011
And on top of everything else, with the launch of the RMAH, things took a turn for the worse.

Inflation is up, because you can buy fake gold (what a terrible idea) and the best items are no longer available in the AH. Sometimes you cannot even find mid-range items.

Jachwe

Jul 29, 2010
Mike Kayatta said:
Jachwe said:
And the auction house is not a bad idea. There has always been auction houseS to provide that service... illegally. Having a controlled enviorment to trade is consumer friendly because the prices are capped and the probability for fraud extremly reduced.
You're right that they have merely existed prior to D3, however there are two major differences this time around. For one thing, the majority of players (not the majority of "hardcore" players) did not use them. Items changing hands by this method was an aberration when compared to the whole of people who tried the game. Because of that, the balance of gold, enemies, and drops were not adjusted to it by Blizzard. The problem isn't there simply is, somewhere, an auction house, but rather a centralized auction house large enough to affect design decisions and gameplay.
You are right that the majority did not use auction houses for Diablo2. There was no point to it. Paying real money is a hurdle you are not willing to make easily. But it will be the same for Diablo3. The majority will not use the auction house, real money or otherwise. There is no point to it. The game is finished they have seen "everything". They have jobs and responsibilities that need to be taken care of. So my point now is that only the "hardcore" players are complaining about the auctionhouse suspecting design flaws caused by it.
So let me tell you how grateful I was for the existence of the auction house. The auction house is a place under the watch of blizzard itself enabling me to get the items I want. It has changed the game but it got more player friendly. You do not need to grind on a certain boss or mob with magicfind to get the item. You can just be a gold farmer and buy it. Now Blizzard doesn't want that and reduced the golddrop. That is because of the circumstances described in the article. Goldgain was calculatable, itemdrops not so much. You always knew how much gold to exspect from a run but itemdrop chances were much riskier. As an illustration I do not need to grind monsters anymore for 15 hours but can as easily grind gold for 15 hours and get the same result. I get my item. I have used the gold auction house myself when I hit hell because it was so freaking hard. I had a lot of gold stashed up at that point, bought me all the items I needed and was on my way having fun. Granted I needed to buy items more frequently from the auction house but it got me to Inferno without much grinding. Now I also hit that wall. I also started like 3 other characters had some loot in my chest for them they now feed from when they need decent gear to go through normal, nightmare maybe even hell. While playing with the other chars I accumulate gold that I will spend in the near future in the auction house to buy them some items I think they might need but I haven't found getting dropped by a monster.
So the auction house helps me to not need to grind. Certainly what I described was not the super hardcore player who needs to play Inferno. I described a not quite casual not quite hardcore approach where the auction house is a more than useful tool you use in the game.
Now the real money auction house on the other hand... let me just mention it makes sense to have the top gear of the game have even lower drop chances then way back then in the days of Diablo2 because Blizzard might want to cash in on the most rare items being sold for lots of money because getting them otherwise is next to freaking impossible. But that is a concern for the super hardcore players who have spent way more than just 200 hours on the game.

ben-

Jan 17, 2012
I beat it once havent picked it up since. The Activision house takes any replay value out of the game. ( sad too ive played diablo 1+2 probably more than any other game combined, well except maybe starcraft and wow ).

his1nightmare

Nov 8, 2010
Monsterfurby said:
his1nightmare said:
Except for the fact that it has sold over 10 million copies [http://www.imediamonkey.com/2012/08/05/diablo-3-overtakes-warcraft-with-10-million-sales/], which is a massive success from Blizzard's/Activision's perspective.
You can't measure success by sales alone. Their calculations will likely have factored in a sustained playerbase, potential add-ons and so forth. This was one expensive game to make.

Not to mention the damage to the Blizzard and Diablo brands which you could reasonably put into seven to nine figure spheres. (Based on the fact that Brandirectory gives the value of BlizzardActivision's brand as about $2,8 billion http://brandirectory.com/profile/activision-blizzard )
Cool that you quoted something I quoted and made it look like you quoted me.
Nice php skills bro.

Nimzabaat

Feb 1, 2010
So... after reading the back and forths a bit, here's the bare bones (as I see it)

Diablo 2: Takes 200+ hours to get the best items to finish the game on the hardest difficulty OR you can buy said items from a black market and risk losing your money and/or credit card information. (or you can just honey badger through like I did, but this isn't about me)
Diablo 3: Takes 200+ hours to get the best items (because they obviously still drop or no one would be able to sell them) to finish the game on the hardest difficulty OR you can buy said items from a legal Auction House (RM or not) if you, as a player, choose that option.

So I was wrong, the auction house isn't a non-issue, it's a vast improvement. Blizzard made an improvement and people are still mad. I guess they just can't win.

mkennedy241

Dec 1, 2009
For the most part I agree with the OP, and any game in which I'm willing to put in 100+ hours across a main and a couple alts constitutes me getting my money's worth. But there's a reason I haven't played in for a couple months now, and it's pretty much what the OP has been getting at and what pretty much everyone who's played the game long enough to hit the Inferno Grind has run into, at least among the people I've spoken with.

In short, it stops being fun. Pure and simple. A lot of what Blizzard promised about the game (in particular, all builds being viable) just ceases to be true once you get more than a few quests into Act 1 Inferno. I played a wizard for my main and had a blast getting to level 60, and even a little afterward, because I could lay waste to pretty much anything as long as I didn't play like a moron. Disintegrate with the rune that causes enemies to explode on death turned swarms of lesser minions into cannon fodder that spontaneously combusted in a rolling cascade of death throes. Archon turned me quite literally into death incarnate, engaged in a gleeful race against time to find more enemies to kill so I could keep the ability active or sealing the doom of whatever boss I was facing. When things got dicey I had a selection of escapes that I could swap out depending on what I felt like using on a given day. I hadn't exactly won the game, but I felt an awful lot like the barbarian in that early trailer hacking through enemies like the deranged god of chainsaws.

That all stopped as soon as I hit Inferno. Bad enough that I have to completely abandon the skills and runes that had made the game fun up to that point in favor of re-speccing for a never-ending kite fest; now all of a sudden the crafting and loot drop systems are effectively useless for giving me the gear I need to progress and anything on the AH that offers a boots is orders of magnitude more expensive than literally two levels ago. I don't want to grind butcher runs for 4 hours just to go comb through auction listings and find the one item I can afford and adds maybe +20 to my resists.

Look, in terms of overall fun for money D3 is very much a worthwhile purchase. But the endgame is totally borked. It's great up until Inferno, and then it's just not worth playing anymore. So I don't.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
his1nightmare said:
Cool that you quoted something I quoted and made it look like you quoted me.
Nice php skills bro.
Whoops, sorry for that. Just deleted the wrong line there.
Should be fixed now, didn't mean to misquote :)

mkennedy241

Dec 1, 2009
Nimzabaat said:
So... after reading the back and forths a bit, here's the bare bones (as I see it)

Diablo 2: Takes 200+ hours to get the best items to finish the game on the hardest difficulty OR you can buy said items from a black market and risk losing your money and/or credit card information. (or you can just honey badger through like I did, but this isn't about me)
Diablo 3: Takes 200+ hours to get the best items (because they obviously still drop or no one would be able to sell them) to finish the game on the hardest difficulty OR you can buy said items from a legal Auction House (RM or not) if you, as a player, choose that option.

So I was wrong, the auction house isn't a non-issue, it's a vast improvement. Blizzard made an improvement and people are still mad. I guess they just can't win.
In terms of providing a safe and efficient way to get good gear, sure. But the main problems with the late game are that 1) in-game methods of obtaining gear (i.e. drops and crafting) are randomized in such a way that the likelihood of obtaining something useful in Inferno is statistically insignificant, 2) the auction house becomes prohibitively expensive when one starts to look for items of level 60+, and 3) the *only* way to progress through to the end of Inferno after build optimization (which Blizzard had initially claimed wouldn't be mandatory) is through better gear. This wouldn't be an issue on its own except that the experience becomes hours of farming the same quests and bosses in order to buy an slightly better item, then seeing if the boost is enough to get you through to the next quest, at which you need to repeat the process.

The mechanics and security of the auction house are fine, but the massive economic and time costs associated with late-game progression as a result of the auction house being the only way to reliably get decent top-level gear are discouraging an awful lot of players from continuing to play.

Catrixa

May 21, 2011
Urgh, I feel like this is what will keep Diablo III from being something I come back to for years to come, which is downright tragic, because the game is fun. I normally judge games for their gameplay first and story second (I didn't hate Diablo III's story, because I have terrible taste, but it wasn't as interesting to me as, say, Starcraft II was. See aforementioned terrible taste >.>), and Diablo III is mechanically wonderful to me. It just has absolutely no replay value for me. The fact that every monk/demon hunter/wizard/barb/witch doctor are functionally identical means I've got about 5 replays in there (unless I want to play hardcore, which takes a certain mood) MAX. No need to reroll if all I'd do is get to the end and grind for the "real" gear (no need to make a couple of a class for different strategies if I can change them on the fly/there's only one that works endgame anyway).

The Blizzard obsession with numbers isn't helping me, either. I quit WoW because the flavor of the game was "now how good are you at arithmetic?" down to the very last detail. It's hard to be enthused with a game when I am just here to produce a specific number, and my inability to do so is being constantly scrutinized (i.e. my worth as a human is derived by my ability to find number-increasing items and hit buttons in a certain order). To some extent, this is unavoidable due to people being douchebags (yes, I, like most humans, am capable of learning), but the game doesn't compensate at all. It pretty much reinforces this mentality by saying, "well, there's nothing else in this game but the gear. Hell, we're doing our absolute best to strip out all the flavor in favor of homogenization in order to achieve balance." With lackluster legendaries and absolutely no low level sets, it seems like this is the goal with D3. Which is just as depressing as it is in WoW, because both games are mechanically satisfying for me. I just hate it when that's the *only* thing that's making a game worth playing.

alj

Master of Unlocking
Nov 20, 2009
In other news water still wet sky still blue and the speed of light is still a universtal speed limit.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
Nimzabaat said:
Absolutely not. After 200 hours you will be nowhere near having the best items or even decent Inferno surviving items unless you use the AH. If you're very lucky you will get a single piece of improved gear (out of your entire outfit) once you're past Nightmare mode (difficulty 2 of 4).

I know a guy who's put 600+ hours into it (I know, I know, crazy), which I verified by looking at his profile, and he still can't beat Inferno with Witch Doctor. All his gear is AH because statistically you do not get drops that you can use. He spends his time farming gold using his gold farming outfit so he can afford better gear so he can try to get a little further in Inferno. That's a Job.

zinho73

Feb 3, 2011
oldtaku said:
Nimzabaat said:
Absolutely not. After 200 hours you will be nowhere near having the best items or even decent Inferno surviving items unless you use the AH. If you're very lucky you will get a single piece of improved gear (out of your entire outfit) once you're past Nightmare mode (difficulty 2 of 4).

I know a guy who's put 600+ hours into it (I know, I know, crazy), which I verified by looking at his profile, and he still can't beat Inferno with Witch Doctor. All his gear is AH because statistically you do not get drops that you can use. He spends his time farming gold using his gold farming outfit so he can afford better gear so he can try to get a little further in Inferno. That's a Job.
I agree with that. The AH doesn't even act like a real shortcut most of the time due to inflation and outrageous prices.

Instead of farming items you have to farm gold, which was made more difficult in the last patches.

The RMAH is the real shortcut to the best items.